shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting tattooed today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Finally! I am adding on to a piece I have to honour the birth of my son. It is a lotus with his birthdate underneath. I am adding more vines and cherry blossoms around the lotus. I am thinking of hiding my BF''s initials and my son''s initials in the vines. Either that, or I will get a separate tattoo after we get engaged. What do ya think??

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
very cool LC! how exciting!
36.gif

i''m personally against getting an SO''s initials or name tattooed, but that''s just me. if you really want to get it done, then i say go for it! i really like the idea of intertwining your BF & son''s initials in the vines though. an old co-worker of mine did that with her flower tattoo and it looked amazing! will you post pics? i''d love to see it when it''s done!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Of course I''ll post pics!!!!! I''ll see if the initials will work or not - otherwise I''ll do a separate tattoo for the BF later.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

No initials other than your son''s.

cheers--Sharon

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll never understand why so many folks have the desire to memorialize boyfriends/girlfriends on their body *forever*. Children are forever. A part of you. But even marriages break up & tattoos are regretted. Someone with whom you don't have a commitment yet? NO WAY (imho)!!!!

Could it be a way of "acting out" your desire for permanence when you truly don't control that? No one ever can ...

Would STRONGLY advise sticking to your own flesh on your own flesh at this time.

ETA: How would you feel **now**, **currently** if you were saddled with a honkin' tattoo of your ex-husband's name or your wedding date etc.?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m getting my first tattoo later this August, with the new Inifinitink. It''s also a lotus-based design. I can''t wait to see pics of yours!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 11:51:51 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 7/23/2009 11:19:58 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

No initials other than your son''s.

cheers--Sharon

I agree.
I do, too. I understand getting your son''s bday on your tattoo - he''s a part of you. He will always be your son. But anybody else''s name...well, I can''t say I think it''s the best idea. No matter how in love you are. I mean, you''re getting married. You won''t have to be without him. You have pictures, his phone number, and the prospect of being with him forever. Do you really *need* to have his name tattooed on your body? What purpose does it serve?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
LC, remember when you wanted to get the lotus with your sons full name on your lower back? We tried to tell you not to then - you got the lotus and his birthdate anyway, which was fine and looks good. Not to mention it won''t be an embarrassment later to him, heh. So once again, we strongly advise AGAINST any names, especially your bf. Your son is not his, and you are only dating, even though talk of engagement and marriage has come it doesn''t mean it is forever - stuff happens.

I would hate for you to get his name/initials anywhere just to regret it in the future. I would wait. Get the other flowers and vines, but hold off on names of any kind.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 11:47:08 AM
Author: decodelighted
I''ll never understand why so many folks have the desire to memorialize boyfriends/girlfriends on their body *forever*. Children are forever. A part of you. But even marriages break up & tattoos are regretted. Someone with whom you don''t have a commitment yet? NO WAY (imho)!!!!

Could it be a way of ''acting out'' your desire for permanence when you truly don''t control that? No one ever can ...

Would STRONGLY advise sticking to your own flesh on your own flesh at this time.

ETA: How would you feel **now**, **currently** if you were saddled with a honkin'' tattoo of your ex-husband''s name or your wedding date etc.?
Absolutely agree. I''m not superstitious about anything except that.

Although I guess it''s better than some guy I know who has his barely covered naked wife''s portrait on his freaking forearm.
emotion-41.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2009 12:27:35 PM
Author: sunnyd

I''ll never understand why so many folks have the desire to memorialize boyfriends/girlfriends on their body *forever*. Children are forever. A part of you. But even marriages break up & tattoos are regretted. Someone with whom you don''t have a commitment yet? NO WAY (imho)!!!!

Could it be a way of ''acting out'' your desire for permanence when you truly don''t control that? No one ever can ...

ETA: How would you feel **now**, **currently** if you were saddled with a honkin'' tattoo of your ex-husband''s name or your wedding date etc.?

Although I guess it''s better than some guy I know who has his barely covered naked wife''s portrait on his freaking forearm.
emotion-41.gif
SunnyD, I had a friend in high school whose father had a tattoo on his forearm of his wife''s name: Hamburger Patty. They thought that was soooooooo funny!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Ya, I see your point. I''ll see how I feel when I get there!!! If I do add the initials, it would be hidden in the vines - you would have to know what you are looking for to find it!!!

I''ll likely just do another separate tattoo for the BF later.
17.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and LitChick, isn''t marrying your boyfriend and wearing his eternity band enough? Why is it necessary to (this is how I see it, totally just my opinion) BRAND yourself with his initials/name as well? Is he getting "LitigatorChick" or "LC" tattooed across his face or something?

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Tattoos aren''t necessary, just fun!!! I don''t HAVE to get anything - in fact BF has no tattoos and isn''t a huge fan. They are for me and my enjoyment.

Just another hour til I get to start on the "upgrade" tattoo!!!

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
In all my doodling, i don''t think the initials idea is gonna work anyway. The letters of BF and Miller''s initials are too big and not "flowy" enough to fit with my current tattoo and planned design.

I''ll just do a separate tattoo later.
17.gif
I would like one in an area I can easily see - imagine if your diamonds were on your back and you had to look at them in a mirror!!! It''s the same with my current tattoo!!!!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 12:40:50 PM
Author: monarch64

emotion-41.gif
SunnyD, I had a friend in high school whose father had a tattoo on his forearm of his wife''s name: Hamburger Patty. They thought that was soooooooo funny!
What?! Her first name was Hamburger?! LOL!!

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 12:49:18 PM
Author: LitigatorChick
In all my doodling, i don''t think the initials idea is gonna work anyway. The letters of BF and Miller''s initials are too big and not ''flowy'' enough to fit with my current tattoo and planned design.

I''ll just do a separate tattoo later.
17.gif
I would like one in an area I can easily see - imagine if your diamonds were on your back and you had to look at them in a mirror!!! It''s the same with my current tattoo!!!!
That reminds me of a young woman I saw on the subway a couple of weeks ago. She was wearing short shorts, and on the front of each upper thigh she had BIG tattoos of diamonds - like maybe the size of her hands. I remember thinking to myself, "She must be a Pricescoper!"

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2009 12:54:57 PM

Date: 7/23/2009 12:40:50 PM
Author: monarch64

emotion-41.gif
What?! Her first name was Hamburger?! LOL!!
No, her first name was Patty, but he was drunk when he got it and he thought it would be funny to have "Hamburger" put on there too. Idiot.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very exciting!!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love tattoos (I''ve got plenty)

Can''t wait to see the finished piece, good luck!
27.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see pictures of your tattoo, it sounds lovely!

Concerning a tatoo representing your BF, I will have to agree with Deco & Monnie on their points. Maybe just sit back and enjoy the new tattoo, get engaged/married and then think about whether you really feel the urge to get one representing your BF. Just my 2 cents on that.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 12:23:08 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
LC, remember when you wanted to get the lotus with your sons full name on your lower back? We tried to tell you not to then - you got the lotus and his birthdate anyway, which was fine and looks good. Not to mention it won''t be an embarrassment later to him, heh. So once again, we strongly advise AGAINST any names, especially your bf. Your son is not his, and you are only dating, even though talk of engagement and marriage has come it doesn''t mean it is forever - stuff happens.

I would hate for you to get his name/initials anywhere just to regret it in the future. I would wait. Get the other flowers and vines, but hold off on names of any kind.

Well said, MP. Personally, I wouldn''t tattoo anyone''s name on me (with the exception of children) because you just never know. I know too many people who have done this who have had relationships end. Obviously, you''ll do what you choose, but I would strongly advise against this.

iota

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have a friend who''s a tattoo artist, who tries to convince anyone in his chair to NOT get a significant other''s name. He''s been doing this for 20 years and he thinks it''s a curse. Anyone inside his social span who he''s tattoo''d with a name has broken up with that SO. Others have come back asking if there were ways to alter it.

I saw the girls on LA Ink (TLC show) try to convince a girl out of tattooing her bf, "Thor''s" name on her. They reluctantly did it but a good 15 minutes of a full hour show was spent watching them say, "Dooooon''t do it".

Anyways, I know you''re not getting it done now. I''d love to see some pics when you have them.

iota

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Instead of tattooing his name, maybe a symbol or object that represents the two of you... or just him.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it sounds like for some reason you''re 100% set on getting your boyfriend''s name permanently inked onto your body, so it seems pointless to try to talk you out of it, but...DON''T DO IT.

Honestly, when I see people who have a SO''s name/initials, I just think it''s tacky and pointless. Why does anyone feel the need to put someone''s name permanently on them? Not to mention that you''re not even married. Besides which, you probably thought you''d always be with your ex, and that relationship ended. What if you had his initials tattooed on you?

Just take a step back and think-a tattoo isn''t necessary to prove that you love someone.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone can relax!!!!! There was no room for initials in the drawing and I decided this was Miller''s tribute tattoo anyway, so there are no names, initials, etc. in the update!!! I love it soooooo much - it really completes the existing tattoo. I''m so excited.

Forgot to take pics last night, but I will tonight.

Thanks for all your advise. I appreciate the caring that is the source of your advise and it really warms my heart. PS Ladies ROCK!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
looking forward to seing the pics!

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 11:51:51 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 7/23/2009 11:19:58 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

No initials other than your son's.

cheers--Sharon

I agree.
Ditto.

I know it didn't fit on the design, I just wanted to add I would advise against ever having your BF/SO's name initials permanantly inked on your body. Your son was a part of you, and you'll be family forever. But I just really think it is bad karma to get a So's initials/name inked on... all I can think of is Angelina's Billy Bob tattoo and Johnny Depp's Winnono Forever Tattoo... just seems like a VERY BAD IDEA. In fact I think there was a study that linked inking names of lovers and dissolving relationships.

ETA: http://power965.com/CONTESTS/ONSECONDTHOUGHT/tabid/6528/Default.aspx

in fact - bad tattoos are for life. Here is a contest my friend is in, and trying to win, trying to get the tattoo removed.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I have a slightly different perspective...

I have our monogram on my ankle and my husband has an "A" on his shoulder blade.

I was always against people tattooing others names on their body for casual romances--like boyfriend/girlfriend tat''s. But, for me, it''s my body and my body art reflects me--my husband is a huge part of who I am. If for some reasons our marriage doesn''t work out, I can always have the tattoo removed via laser...but, I don''t think I''d ever do that...my marriage is a part of what makes me, me. If we someday were to seperate, that doesn''t erase our life together...it''s still my history. I''m proud of that...come what may.

I would suggest holding off getting any ink until you''re married. Because although it can be removed, it''s still a big commitment and something that should be really, really thoughtout. Right now you''re doing something beautiful to reflect your son...that should be 100% his and his alone. If at some point you decide "yes, I want my BF''s name on my body"...then that should be his and his alone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results