shape
carat
color
clarity

Gave back the ring...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone, I know it''s been so long since my last post but so much has happened. As you may guess from the topic we called off our engagement. It''s been a crazy long couple of weeks but I think the worst has past, at least that''s how I feel today anyway (subject to change at any moment).

The story....up until the engagement I thought things were pretty good between us, there were some issues (aren''t there always?) but nothing that I didn''t think was a big deal...well...after we got engaged things changed, for both of us. All of sudden it was like we didn''t feel this need to be together all of the time. I think we both felt that way, I know I did. I was working a lot which I used as an excuse I guess. Everytime someone would ask how the wedding planning was going I kept saying I''d get to it after work slowed down, there was always something. He didn''t question it either which at the time I felt relief about it. When his mother would call me up and ask about it I would use some excuse saying we''re just really busy and what was the rush. The odd thing is, I really felt this way and didn''t feel the need to question why we were doing this.

After a few weeks of this I started feeling really pressured by everyone and it really bugged me and I''d started getting really snippy when someone would ask about it. I didn''t even wear the ring as much as I kept saying it was too big or made me feel uncomfortable wearing it around..yeah, weird I know. So one day I''m downtown doing a little shopping and I see my FI with another girl at lunch. I don''t think anything of it and walk over there to say hello. He looks surprised to see me and a little uncomfortable which sparked my interest (but not my suspiciouns oddly enough). He introduces her as a client and they invite me to sit down and have some lunch with them. For some reason I decide to (curiosity? hunger?) and take a seat. The conversation is neutral with focus about work and the like but what was so weird is that I felt like a thirdwheel, seriously. Like there was some tension between them and I was the outsider. After lunch we part ways and I head back uptown trying to figure out what was going on. That night when he gets home I start with the questions about her, the funny thing is it wasn''t because I was concerned about them but more like I was amused by what I felt, like he was just a friend and not my fiance''. He denies anything and I beleive him but our conversation turns to ourselves and why weren''t we in wedding plan mode. He comes out point blank and asks me why I was stalling in picking a date or planning the wedding. At that moment it hit me that I really was stalling things by using work as an excuse. I asked him why he never pushed it and he said he was waiting for me to do something...but if he really wanted to get married he would of pushed it right? We ended up talking to all hours of the night and I finally tell him I needed some space to figure things out and took the ring off to give it back to him. That''s when he started getting tears in his eyes and we both realized that it was over, for no apparant reason than we fell out of love somewhere along the way and were too busy to realize it. We tried to go back and analyze when we felt that way but we couldn''t pin point any defining moment. I asked him to honestly tell me about the girl and he said he felt something with her, a flirtation, an attraction but nothing had become of it. I asked him if he would make a move now that we were no longer and he said most likely not as he needed some space but maybe one day. And the crazy thing is it didn''t bother me..not even in the slightest. I went and stayed at a friends that night even though he said he wanted me to stay but I needed the space. It was a very emotional goodbye to say the least. It''s been a few weeks and I feel okay about things. I''ve gone through my moments when I''ve broken down and cried but we''ve spoken quite a few times and I feel like we could just manage to stay friends.

So there it is. I feel okay telling you all about this and actually feel pretty positive about things today. I know I''ll have my moments but I also know that this is the right thing for us. I''ll find someone again and this time I''ll not be able to wait to plan the wedding!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Squeaksluv --

Big hugs to you! I''m so sorry you had to go through this but it seems like you''re feeling ok about it so I''m glad to see that. It''s always better to figure that out before the wedding, so I bet that''s a big relief. I''m sure you''ll find somebody better for you and I''m glad you recognized that when you did.

Sum

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow sl i am so sorry to hear about all of this...it''s cold comfort to hear that ''at least you figured it out now vs later''.... but hang in there and be strong...you never know, you two may find your way back to each other later.
15.gif

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s got to be so hard to do what you did, but you did what was right for YOU and that''s commendable. We hear so often of people going through with a wedding when they should be parting ways, usually b/c they find out too late that they aren''t happy. You must be an amazing and strong woman to be true to yourself like that, and I am sure when you meet Mr. Right, you will be so excited about planning the wedding!! Hugs to you, and thank you for coming back and sharing your story!

jen

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Squeaks, I feel for you! But, it seems you sort of knew in the back of your mind that this was not what you wanted...and seeing him that girl and realizing that you were not wigged out by out I think just confirms things, not that you will not have sad times or miss certain things, but again, sometimes our unconscious mind does things for us when we are not really wanting to look at things dead on. I hope you both find the right person for each of you when the time is right, and that in the meantime, you focus on you and what you want for YOU. I am sure all of the people here will be more than happy and willing to be an ear for you during all of it, and hugs and good luck!

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I am honestly so impressed by your attitude toward the whole thing. I know it''s so incredibly hard, but you seem to know what''s best and are willing to do what''s necessary for your own happiness. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. I do believe that when it''s right you will want to leap into wedding planning. It can be so hard to call it quits after all the time and energy we put into a relationship, but staying with someone only because you''ve been together and are engaged isn''t the right reason. I really am amazed by your wonderful attitude and outlook and I have no doubt that you will find the right situation/person.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
I was just looking at old pictures of us and it brought tears to my eyes but some of them were happy tears. He is truly a wonderful guy and I''m sure he''ll find someone that will make him very happy. It just wasn''t meant to be for us and that''s okay. It''s funny but his best friend (the one that was staying with us for a bit) seems more upset about it than we are. He''s already called a million times to make sure I''m okay and if I need anything. I met him out for lunch a few times and he keeps saying he can''t believe it, that if there was any couple he thought would make it, it would of been us. Actually a few of my friends have said that and my friend Jenna even seemed a bit shaken by the news. Huh, I''m not sure why that would be, maybe because we dated for so long? Things happen and like you guys said, it''s so much better to find out about it now than after the honeymoon. Tonight a bunch of us girls are going out so I''m looking forward to getting dressed up and enjoying myself.
1.gif

This may sound weird but I''m actually looking forward to dating again..that first kiss, the fun times, the newness of it all. Does that make me sound like an awful person? Everyone keeps saying I should take time but I really don''t want to...I want to meet new people and go to new and fun places and put what has happened behind me. Does this sound really cold?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL, this is so sad, I''m so sorry. But, I''m glad that you sound "okay" with it and you seem to be handling it fairly well. I''m sure you''ll have some good days and some bad days (hopefully more good), and remember that time will reveal what is truly meant to happen with the two of you. Hugs.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SL -- actually it sounds even more so like you two weren''t meant to be, based on your excitement about moving forward. Teehee. No that doesn''t make you cold, I think it just confirms that you don''t love him in the way that''s required for a good marriage. The other sign was that you weren''t at all bothered by the idea of him dating that girl. So, I''d say you two probably made the right decision.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im really sorry that your relationship has ended, but it seems like it was the best thing for you. Just keep strong and enjoy being single and hopefully the two of you can still be friends.

caligal

Shiny_Rock
Speaksluv- I agree with ChristyDarling- it doesn''t make you a bad person at all. In fact, I think this is the start of a whole new life for you, which is very exciting!
36.gif
Dating is fun- so is the potential of a whole new future- so enjoy this time! And you should date when you feel it is right... it isn''t something that can be put into a timeframe that works for everyone. Look at it as a fun opportunity to meet someone new!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
SL -

If you''re feeling that ready to move forward, maybe you subconsciously made the decision a while ago. It sounds like you''re pretty well adjusted to it. That''s great! Of course, sometimes grief has a way of sneaking back up on you and smacking you silly, so I hope that doesn''t happen.

One of my friends went through something similar... once she was engaged, it was just like "whatever"... she didn''t want to talk about the wedding, she was having arguments with him, etc... we all saw it coming, but it took her months and months to break it off. and he''s STILL sleeping on her couch because he hasn''t moved out yet. She seems ok, but sometimes not so much, though I don''t think it''s completely real to her since he hasn''t moved out yet. She says they get along better now that they ever did before.

As for your friends that are heartbroken, it''s hard for anybody not involved in the relationship to really see it for what it is... they may just not have gotten it. It''s ok that they''re upset... they obviously care very much about both of you, but it''s your feelings that matter here and I''m sure you''ll guard them well.

Sum

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Squeak, good for you!....and no, looking forward to dating doesn''t make you a bad person at all!!!

I dated my ex over 3 years and we lived together for almost two years, and for the longest time I thought I wanted to marry him, etc....then I started feeling kind of like you guys did....like we just fell "out of love", like we were just best friends and roommates....but I wanted more and then I knew he wasn''t it. It wasn''t easy saying good bye and moving out, but it felt so right at the same time. It''s never easy though, feelings are still there, so I applaude you for being strong!
36.gif

I was like you, ready to start dating and start a new life!. My ex and I are still friends and we both know it was the best decision for both of us.

Good luck to you and enjoy tonight with your friends, make yourself beautiful and get all dressed-up!!!

M~

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''m really sorry to hear about this, but it sounds like it''s what''s best for both of you. It''s good that you were able to realize that sooner rather than later. Have fun out with the girls!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think your decision displays a lot of intelligence, strength, and bravery. A lot of women would be too afraid of change/being alone to call off a wedding--I have known people who let their fondness for the idea of a wedding combined with their fear of moving on lead them down the aisle to the wrong person. I have the upmost respect for women who can get a grip on the reality of a fading relationship despite all the glitz and glam of engagements/weddings/whatever else in time to bow out gracefully.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you are handling this so well. Its much better to realize these things sooner rather than later. And good for you for the postive outlook about your future. You have the rest of your life ahead of you and it will be what you make of it. Have fun with Mr. Right Now, and Mr. Right will sweep you off your feet when its meant to be.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Squeaks,

I won''t say I''m sorry this happened, as it sounds like it is the best thing; I will say I am sorry for your sadness and his though. What a tough decision...it''s admirable that both of you handled it (and continue to do so) in such a mature manner.

Enjoy your friends and new experiences and be proud of yourself for being such a strong person.

Ananda

Rough_Rock
Wow! When I read your post, the strongest feeling I got wasn''t,"oh no, how sad" or anything like that, but relief for you...Thank God you all reached this point before a wedding took place. Good luck to you.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your support, the more time goes by the more I know it was the right decision, for both of us. We both still care about each other but we just weren''t meant to be together.

So last night was fun, it was nice to go out with my girlfriends and just have a good time. I even got an apartment out of it! My friend''s sister just got married and needs someone to take over her lease. I''ve always loved her apartment so I said yes immediately! I can move in in two weeks, woo hoo!
My ex''s friend "J" stopped by the restaurant last night too. It''s funny but ever since he had been staying with us while his wacko ex moved out of his place, we''ve become really good friends. And even now we talk and hang out all of the time. He went through a breakup not too long ago so he can totally sympathize. And I have to say it''s nice to get a male perspecitive on things!

My ex called when I got home last night to see if I wanted my pillow back. I have a favorite pillow I used to sleep with and I left it at his place. As I was planning on picking up my stuff this weekend I found it a little odd he would call just about the pillow and told him so. He said in all honesty it was an excuse to call me and talk to me. I didn''t know what to say at that and felt almost guilty. What is that all about?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hey sqeaks,

Most of us have played the "I have something of yours" game. It''s hard not to get to talk to the person who has been entwined in every aspect of your life for a long period of time. He''s just missing you. And perhaps there''s a bit of jealousy that his friend has been talking to/spending time with you? Is there an attraction there on either side?

I''m glad you found an apt. and had a great time with friends, it''s so important. I remember my last big break up, pre FI, I had no close girlfriends and I''ve never felt so alone. Luckily a female aqaintance took me under her wing and introduced me to her friends. I still have a relationship with all of them.

Keep enjoying life and reminding yourself you''ve done the right, brave thing.

squeaksluv

Shiny_Rock
I do miss him, I miss what we once had together and the fun times. I guess I''m trying hard not to think of those times because it makes me sad when I do. As for his friend, attraction? I think right now I''m looking for a friend and he is providing that. Since my ex, I''ve not had many guy friends (he didn''t like it when I did) so it''s nice to have a guy to turn to. I sometimes wonder though if he does like me as I''ve caught him staring at me before really weirdly..and this was before I was even engaged. If he does like me I don''t think he''d ever act upon it since he such good friends with my ex. Ah well, I''m just taking one day at a time and enjoying everthing!

I guess I won''t have a reason to be around much since it''s not like I''m a LIW anymore
6.gif
but I certainly will be back to see who gets engaged and their beautiful rings!!
36.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Keep us posted. I think your new guy friend has a crush on you. He''s probably waiting until he and your ex are no longer roomies, b/c that would be really ackward.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Squeaks~
It sounds like you''re doing what you needed to do, and I''m sorry for your pain. I am glad that you two decided to go your separate ways before the marriage was sealed. I''m sure you both will find true happiness in the long run. Keep us updated and please come here to vent any time!

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Squeaks, just wanted to let you know that it sounds like you did the right thing! Things will continue to get better, I promise!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
HUGS!!!!!!!!!

You are courageous. You will always be blessed with love -- for being true to your heart.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
wow! I''m so impressed at how you''re handling this without anger and drama! It does sound like you emotionally withdrew a while ago and it was relationship momentum carrying you on. That''s why you feel more ready to move on with your life than some people might expect. I should warn you, just because you feel comfortable and ready to do new things does not mean he is. Being attracted to that girl is not an indication that he''s in the same space as you, so don''t be too surprised if he has a harder time.

I''ve been where you are. While I haven''t felt a need to tell my fi this, he''s not the first person to propose to me. But this is the first time I''ve felt so happy, glowy, and excited, I was very worried I''d feel the same blankness/emptiness as I had previously. Third time''s the charm I guess.
2.gif
Trust me, you''ll find your partner in life someday, and when he asks you to marry him it''ll be the best feeling in the world.
5.gif

Good Luck!
35.gif

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
Goodness, I''m sorry this happened, but it was for the best it seems! I hate to use the old cliche, but there are many more fish in the sea. It''s not strange that you miss him at all. Also not strange that you don''t miss being his "sigificant other." I''m glad you were able to make this decision sooner rather than later. Best of luck to you. Have fun decorating the apartment...it will keep you from dwelling on anything (but it sounds like you''re doing well!) Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results