shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who live with their SO,,,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LiveLaughLove

Rough_Rock
Hey ladies. I have a question for you, specifically if you currently live with your SO (future fiance, fiance, boyfriend, or even just an ex boyfriend from the past...)

1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other?

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in?

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together?

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO?

Thanks girls!!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 2:37:29 PM
Author:LiveLaughLove

1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? We had an odd situation, I went and lived with him for a few months as we were an international LDR and wanted to see if we had ''it''

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? Him, 24, Me, 25

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? No. Again, we were in strange situation, but we knew we''d be getting married eventually, and went into living together to test drive being married. It was not ''aimlessly'' living together.

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? Oh yes. Living with roomates is like a crash course in cohabitation. I don''t think people who move in with a SO straight from home are prepared for the realities of living with someone else. Living by yourself can help with learning how to take care of yourself and your living quarters.
Hope that helps!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies. I have a question for you, specifically if you currently live with your SO (future fiance, fiance, boyfriend, or even just an ex boyfriend from the past...)

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together?

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO?

Thanks girls!!

1) We had been together for just shy of a year.
2) Me -early 30's, him, mid 30's.
3) I would not live with someone I wasn't going to marry so we got engaged first, moved in together soon after.
4) Yes, I was out from under the parental wing for about 12 years and entirely self supporting... lived with room-mates for about half of that, alone for about half of that. Both invaluable, wonderful experiences I would not have given up for anything.

Do not underestimate how important it is to KNOW in your heart that you know how to look after yourself, that you can be independent and be fine, that you can run every aspect of a household, and that you don't HAVE to rely on someone else. Ever. Lots of women never do and many, many of them live to regret it.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re moving in together in three weeks after being together nearly 9 years. We started going out when we were 17 and after studying and getting ourselves set up in jobs, we''re getting round to it evenutally!

I''m now 26, he''s 27.

I wouldn''t move in with someone unless I was heading towards marriage, so we got engaged last October and have been waiting for our house to be ready for the past few months.

I''ve lived with room-mates for a few months and I''ve also lived by myself.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ex BF
1. A couple of months when I started staying there full time.
2. I was 20 and he was 21 I think?
3. I just wanted to get out of my house, and he was convenient. When he started talking marriage, I broke up with him...So, no.
4. I lived in a dorm when I was 18 and shared an 10x10 box with a b!tch. Does that count?

FF
1. Um. I moved into his place in July 2006, and we started dating in April 2006, so only a few months-but I still had my place, and I was helping him recover from heart surgery. We didn't move in together officially until December 2006, when he moved into my place. So about 8 months officially.
2. I was 24 and he was 24.
3. No timelines here either, although we talked openly about marriage, and agreed that it was something that we wanted to do. I had told him prior to moving in that I wanted to wait until we were engaged before becoming cohabited, but circumstances didn't work out that way (medical bills are a b!tch!). In February 2007 is when we started looking at rings.
4. I had live in the box with the B, lived with exBF, and then lived in another dorm room (much bigger and even had a bathroom!) with another chick. I had also lived alone for almost a year before moving in with him. After sharing a tiny room with someone, I was fine with moving into a place and sharing multiple rooms with a SO.

It's been great. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Eventually, when our money situation is better, and we're both closer to being done with school, we'll get engaged and get married.

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? At 10 months we found out he got into law school 9 hours away in Miami. We had to sit down and talk about where we saw our relationship going and we both decided to take the leap and move down to Miami together. We officially moved into our new place together at 13 months.

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? I was 23 and he was a month shy of 23

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? nope. It was defiantly a trial run for marriage but we didn''t discusses when we would get engaged. We both assumed it would be close to the end of his law school.

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I had lots of roomates. I lived in a college apartment complex with a bunch of my girlfriends and then I bought my first home. I rented a few rooms of my house for a few years and then had the whole place to myself for a year (I LOVED that!) I''m so glad I had those experiences on my own before moving in with my boyfriend.

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? 4 years and 1 month, we''ve been living together now for 6 months.

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? him 26, me 23

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? nope

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I was living on my own in my own apt. and same with him... i did live in the dorms in college...it was fun, but i''m having so much more fun living with my BF now.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
1. About 9 months.
2. I was 19 he was 20
3. Nope. I moved in with my FI because it worked for me at the moment. If in a few years we got married, great. If we didn''t, we would just move out and move on. While I knew I would never marry someone without living with them, I don''t see the inevitable step after moving in together as marriage.
4. I did not have roomates before him, but I lived in a tiny single in a dorm, so not at home. I would not have moved straight from my parent''s house to live with someone else.

PearlDahhhling

Brilliant_Rock
We were together for 2 years before moving in together. In fact we moved in together on our 2 year anniversary!

We were both 20

We had a vague timeline before moving in together, but it got more definite as we lived together and realized just how great it was!

We both moved in together straight from our parents houses. We weren''t really interested in moving in with roommates first and we just felt ready to live together.

goodfun7580

Shiny_Rock

1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? We were together a year and a half when we moved in.

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? I was 26 and he was 30

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? YES. He said he would never marry any one without living with them first. Since I had lived with a BF before and it didn''t work out so well, I was pretty sure I would never move in with someone again with out having a ring and a date. I agreed live with him for one year, and then decide if we should get married or not. That time is almost up

36.gif

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? Yes, I had one year in a dorm with a roomie, 3 years in an apartment with 2 roomies, 2 years with a different BF, then back home for a few years, and now with current BF.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Ex:
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? Officially 1.5 years?
2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? I was 19 and he was 22.
3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? Not really...we were so young and it was more of a convenience thing.
4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I was in a dorm, then back to parentals, then in with him.

FF:
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? He had his own place but stayed at mine every night until 7 months in when he actually stopped paying for his $700 storage unit.
9.gif

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? I was 23 and he was 24.
3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? When he moved in for real, yes, we''d had a general marriage discussion. No timeline though, as it was only 5 months into it!
4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? FF and I got together 1 month after I broke up with ex (weird yeah, but that''s how it worked out) so I moved from his house to parentals to my own place. It was a hectic month...
1.gif

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks girls!!
We don''t live together YET but we will in less than 2 months! So I''m playing anyway.

1) We''ll have been together for almost exactly a year (couple days shy). I probably would''ve moved in with him a bit sooner, but we''re long distance. It took me longer to grow comfy with the idea of moving to another city entirely, plus I had to find a job.

2) I''ll be 24, he''ll be 26.

3) We''ve discussed marriage from around the 6 month mark. Discussed a timeline several times. It was important to me to know where the relationship was headed and (vaguely) when since I''m not comfortable living common-law indefinitely. I thiink it will be an important phase/step for our relationship but I needed to know it would progress past that relatively soon.

4) He''s been on his own for a long time and has had numerous different roommates (including his ex). I lived alone for awhile but I''m at home for now because it enables me to save a ton of money (for a down payment on a house)

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Okie, I''ll play:

Actually, FI and I were only "together" for about three months before I moved into his apartment. We had been best friends for over a year and a half, though, and the timing was such that his roommate was moving out just as I was looking for an apartment in the area. He tells me now that in the back of his mind he''d planned to give it three months before deciding whether he''d let me stay. Heh. Guess I passed.

Hm...funny how the older you get, the tougher it is to count backward in time. Let''s see...I was 24 and he was 29. That was over four years ago.

No, but we did discuss one prior to buying our home together. When we first spoke about buying, I let him know that I''d be happy to participate, just as long as we were either married or planning our wedding. We moved into our first home three months ago, and our wedding is in September.

FI and I had both been out of our parents homes for several years before even meeting. We''re both very independent people (a.k.a. first born), and took pride in taking care of ourselves.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Do not underestimate how important it is to KNOW in your heart that you know how to look after yourself, that you can be independent and be fine, that you can run every aspect of a household, and that you don''t HAVE to rely on someone else. Ever. Lots of women never do and many, many of them live to regret it.

Absolutely WONDERFUL, valuable piece of advice, indie. And totally true. I feel much more fulfilled in my home life, now that I have had the experience of living alone....and loving it.

Shaninj4

Rough_Rock
1) We knew each other about 6 months before we moved in together since we were both going to the same schools.
2) I had just turned 20 and he was 23.
3) No, the relationship was new at this point, but we''ve talked about a time line since this past December. We don''t plan on marrying till we''re both finished with school. It will be easier on us and we would have more financial stability once our grad degrees were acquired.
4) No, I did not have any roommates prior.. to be honest I am a person who usually likes her alone time. My FF has been an absolute doll when it comes to helping around the house.

We''ve been together for almost 3 years now (3 years is coming up soon)and despite the moving in quite quickly, we''ve stayed stronger I believe because of it. We''re really "forced" to communicate effectively instead of ignoring the problem because we do live together.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
We''ve been together 6 years...

18 months

Me 21 him 23

no... we were quite young. The main reason we moved in together is because we planned to live in London for 3 years and thought we''d better make sure we could live together before trying it out on the other side of the world!!

My BF lived with roommates but I went straight from family home

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
1. How long were you together when you moved in with each other?

Only a few months, about 1/2 a year. We had known each other for a while, almost 2 years, before we started dating. That was in 2004, so it''s been four years now. We''re getting married this year--and ending the "common-law" thing. Yay! I say the best part is the jewelry. And finally friends and family will stop asking "When?"

Mid 20s (me), mid-30s (him). We weren''t each other''s first.

Yes! But it doesn''t always work out that way. We''ve had disagreements on the issue but we both agreed that we wanted to be married--and we didn''t want it to be a "ten years from now..." sort of arrangement.

I''d had roommates, and then lived with an ex-BF for a few years. I lived on my own, too, on and off--between things. I agree with the other ladies--living on your own helps make domesticity that much sweeter.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not moved in yet, but when we do this Sept, it will be a year.

Me: 22. Him: 27

We discussed a timeline, but it''s a little bit vague, due to some international things/visa.

I''ve had roommates for four years.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually our situation is a little unique I guess. We weren''t together when we moved in. We were working together and both needed a place to live, so we moved in together with another coworker of ours. So roommates first, then a couple
2.gif

Both 25

Obviously not, since we weren''t actually going out

I lived on my own and with roommates during 4 years in college, moved back home when I graduated, and moved in with my BF and coworker a few months after.

claireabelle

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2008 3:38:00 PM
Author: Independent Gal

Do not underestimate how important it is to KNOW in your heart that you know how to look after yourself, that you can be independent and be fine, that you can run every aspect of a household, and that you don''t HAVE to rely on someone else. Ever. Lots of women never do and many, many of them live to regret it.

It doesn''t necessarily take living alone to accomplish these personal achievements. I feel every bit the person you''ve described and MORE. I have always lived with family / my partner (although we have had a semi-LDR situation for the past 2 years, so I am alone quite a lot).

I appreciate that it would be an extremely valuable and exhilarating experience to live by yourself. However, I believe you''re wrong if you think those of us who have always shared a household with family/partner are unable to be independent and gain self-satisfaction for our achievements.

Life can be lived in many more ways than one.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
ExBF
1. we''d been together 3 years
2. 21
3. nope, I sorta assumed we''d get there, but knew I wasn''t ready for that in the near future
4. I had roommates in college, then moved in with ex and his roommate after graduation. His roommate moved out after a year. So it was just the two of us for a year, then I moved out of state for grad school. We did long distance for a year. I think breaking up was easier since we already lived apart. If I hadn''t already moved, I wonder how long we would have stumbled along in a relationship that was ready to end.
I also wonder what would have happened if I hadn''t moved in. I was perfectly capable of living independently, so it wasn''t that (though I think thats very important). I feel like that first year out of college is sort of the ideal time to do something crazy, like travel around before getting a job, or join the peace corp, or take the awesome, impractical job somewhere far away. I regret tying myself down and not taking the time to do that before entering the "real world"

Current BF
1. we''d been together almost two years (and now he''s lived here a year and a half)
2. me 27 him 25
3. we had talked about the fact that marriage was in the future, but that we weren''t quite ready for it yet. He''s taken a little longer than me to start feeling old enough and ready to get married, and there have been concerns about what happens when I graduate--will we be able to find jobs together in a place where we are both happy? When he moved in, I thought engagement would be coming sooner, but I''m on board with delaying until we know where we''ll be moving.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Hi! It is such a beautiful morning here in NY, but before I go outside, I wanted to answer your questions...

1.) BF and I were together for 4 years (one year long distance) before we moved in together (we are together 6 years, thus 2 years living together).

2.) I was 24, he 28-29, when we moved in together.

3.) Not really. He bought a co-op closer to where I was living and I started staying at his place more often than not. One morning I turned over to see him wide awake with a disconcerted look on his face. He turned his head to face me, and said, "You're here with me everyday." I thought, "Uh-oh." Then he said, "Why don't you stay for good?" LOL It was quite hilarious since he's a worrywart with big decisions! So, I said, "Hmmmm...let me think about it." 10 seconds later I said "YES!!!" One of the best days I have had with him...
9.gif

4.)We both wanted to live together for a bit before being engaged. The first year wasn't easy, and no engagement was going to happen even if we were ready for it...that's how much we fought! Last year, things just started getting easier, almost effortless. Thats how we knew we were getting ready. A few months ago we had a serious talk about feeling we were both ready to make the steps. Now it's just a matter of time...and the darn ring!

5.) Never had a roommate, other than my brother...and he was a pig, so that was a pain-in-the-a$$. My BF is a clean freak so I consider myself the luckiest girlfriend/roomie in the world!

Hope that helped!!!
3.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? We had been together for 9 months

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? He was 24, I was 25

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? Nope, not at all. We made a pros and cons list and one of the pros listed was that it could be "permanent" as in marriage. But that was the extent of the discussion.

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I had my own apartment and he left a place with a roommate to live with me.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock

4 months

Me - 32, Him - 30

No, but we both knew this was a very serious, potentially permanent relationship.

I had been living with my parents for 2 years prior to meeting FI as I had been very ill for that time. Before that I had either lived on my own or with ex-bf''s for over 12 years. The ex''s I lived with it was for convenience and because there was no point in paying for 2 apartments. It was never like it was with FI because we were always renting so it seemed more temporary.

With FI, he owned the house (and sold me half after we''d been together for a year).

I would never get engaged to or marry a man I hadn''t lived with for at least a year.

cutiegirl84

Shiny_Rock
1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? We were together a little over 5 years

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? We were both 22

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? Not really, I think we always knew we would probably get engaged/married when I finished school (2009). But we had discussed, not really seriously, that we wanted to marry one another many times before. I don''t think I would have moved in with him if we hadn''t discussed marriage before that.

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I had roomates in college, put it this way, I had 8 roommates over 4 years and I only speak to 1 of them so the roommate situation was not the best for me, but other than that it was home to moving in with him, and same for him too.

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
1. Eleven months (November 2006)

2. I was 20, he was 26

3. No, we moved in for convenience (I was living at my parents at the time but didn''t have my on room or space-complicated story. I was at his place six nights a week anyway). Although at that stage we both knew that it was a permanent relationship. Marriage was first brought up (by him) a month later. We had roommates when I moved in. One moved out four months later and two months ago we moved to our own place.

4. I lived with roommates for three months before moving back in with my parents- this was because I didn''t know any of them beforehand and hated it there. Still, while I was there I spent five-six nights a week at his place.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks girls!!

1. We were together for about 3.5 years.
2. I was 25 and he was 28, I think.
3. We knew we would get engaged soon (as in within 6 months to a year) but there was no specific date.
4. We both had lived by ourselves and with roommates before we lived together.

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks girls!!
1) 1 year
2) 24
3) yes
4) nope

kittybean

Ideal_Rock

Thanks girls!!

We are moving in together in about a month to two months, depending on when we find an adequate apartment, so these answers are for the future:

1. We will be together two years.

2. I''m 24; he''s 27.

3. Yes, we are planning to get married next summer. (He knows this means he has to propose to me SOON (as in girl soon) so that we have enough time to plan the wedding. I''m still waiting, but hopefully not for much longer.)

4. I''ve lived with friends from law school for the last few years, and before that by myself, and before that with a slew of sorority girls in college . . . so it''s been a while since I lived at home. It''s going to be strange not to live with a bunch of girls.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
FI and I moved in together last July. Neither of us had lived with an SO before.

1) How long were you together when you moved in with each other? 4 years.

2) How old were the both of you when you moved in? I was 22, he was 25.

3) Did you both discuss a timeline of when you wanted to be married prior to living together? We had already been engaged a year. I wasn''t comfortable with moving in with someone I wasn''t going to marry in the near future.

4) Did you live with any other roommates prior to living together, or did you move straight from home to living out on your own with your SO? I had moved out of my parents'' house 3 years earlier and lived with 3 different sets of roommates. FI had been renting at his parent''s for 7 years (he still lived there, but paid rent and did his own thing, basically like a roommate situation).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results