shape
carat
color
clarity

Favorite LIW-related books! (On commitment, engagement, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
During this stressful time of being a Lady In Waiting, have you read any books that helped you cope or make you feel better?

I really liked "The List - 7 Ways To Tell If He''s Going To Marry You In 30 Days Or Less" by Mary and Sheila Corbett

I''d love to hear other suggestions!
1.gif

katomm

Shiny_Rock
Even before I was engaged I read "Emotionally Engaged" by Allison Moir-Smith. FI (then BF) saw it laying around the house but it didn''t bother him. I find it really helpful in dealing with people around me that we either engaged or recently married. It definitely prepared me for what was to come. There''s a lot in there about interracting with your FI and how some couples argue while planning a wedding and I got some ideas on stuff we should do and questions to ask.

I also read online about co dependency so we could recognize if we had these traits and work on them to prevent issues in the future. Everyone has some, it''s just a matter of not letting them take over.

KatM

Shiny_Rock
my favorite, especially when i was really struggling, was His Cold Feet. I found it to be self-empowering and relatable without sounding patronizing.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 12:52:20 AM
Author:MermaidKelly
During this stressful time of being a Lady In Waiting, have you read any books that helped you cope or make you feel better?

I really liked ''The List - 7 Ways To Tell If He''s Going To Marry You In 30 Days Or Less'' by Mary and Sheila Corbett

1.gif
I''d never heard of this book, so I looked it up on Amazon. They have a feature where you can read the first few pages .. and wow, her "Todd" sounds just like my BF
5.gif

Personally, I haven''t read any books about engagement or marriage .. I''ve seen a few mentioned around the boards, and I look the information for them up on Amazon, but they just never appeal to me.

Being a LIW is not a stressful time for me though, so if it was, I could see those books being more helpful.

dec2410

Shiny_Rock

my favorite is "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to your Mate" by Gary Chapman.

this book has really helped me learn how to love my SO better, all while helping me discover a lot about myself in the process

1.gif

brandithib

Rough_Rock
In the Meantime by Iyanla Vanzant... changed the way I view relationships (and even myself) completely

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I really enjoyed Chasing Harry Winston (far more than I expected to, actually), but I don''t think that''s what you meant!

fuzzers

Shiny_Rock
His Cold Feet and The Five Love Languages, both excellent. The former calms down any bouts of LIWitis.

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
I ordered the "His Cold Feet" book because of the recomendations. I can''t wait to get it!
5.gif

Any more LIW books, keep ''em coming!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I'm Part-way through Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
(Author of Eat Pray Love)

So far so good!

(It just came out)

Just finished Chasing Harry Winston - entertaining and enjoyable

rierie26

Shiny_Rock
It's not really a book just for the LIW, but "1001 Questions to Ask Before You Get Married" by Monica Mendez Leahy is pretty cool. It's a book for you and your bf/fiance to go through together and answer the questions/discuss the topics together before you get married (or engaged in my case). It's a nice activity to do with the bf and I feel it brings us closer which helps when the unbearable wait for a proposal makes me doubt his intentions a bit. It covers a lot of the typical topics, money, family, children, etc. but also addresses things that I wouldn't have thought would need to be addressed like travel and leisure time. It even asks if you would mind nail clippings on the floor. Who wouldn't?!?
23.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
To piggyback on Kitcha (hope I''m not too heavy!), I would recommend Intellectual Foreplay . I got both that one and the 1001 Questions to Ask Before You Marry but after flipping through both books my boyfriend preferred the former. We''ve been going through it, and it''s a great way to see if you and your boy are on the same page in regards to values, behaviors, etc.

MermaidKelly

Shiny_Rock
I just finished "His Cold Feet". I liked it a lot and I only wish there were more books on the "Pre-Engagement Limbo" topic!
1.gif

kberrie22

Rough_Rock
MermaidKelly: I also have read "His Cold Feet" its a good one! I liked it alot, right now I am considering ordering "The List.." seems like a pretty good explanation of what I am going thru right now. But yes I have to agree with you, I too wish there were more books or articles on the "pre-engagment limbo". I am currently living with my SO and I am not sure if that has made things better or worse for me and my waiting game, I believe that they address a bit of that in the cold feet book, but it has been a bit since I have read thru it all so I am not sure..

Here''s hoping that things will continue to look up for us all!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I read it after I was married, but I thought that _I Do But I Don''t_ had a good section on the process of engagement. I would recommend that one ....

1stlady

Rough_Rock

I really liked ''The List - 7 Ways To Tell If He''s Going To Marry You In 30 Days Or Less'' by Mary and Sheila Corbett

1.gif
Thanks for this suggestion Kelly. I looked this book up and its on back order online, but i found a copy and they are holding one for me at my local borders-yaay. I def think this is a great book to read. I wish too that I had this advice in my 20''s since I spent a decade in 3 no end relationships. And just like the the girl in the intro, I have had a bit of problem detecting jerks and i went for the successful, ego-driven just not into me guy. Now that i''m 32 its def time for me to start dating smarter!!! I don''t want to waste anymore time with the wrong guy.
emsmile.gif

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2010 6:48:58 PM
Author: 1stlady

1.gif
Thanks for this suggestion Kelly. I looked this book up and its on back order online, but i found a copy and they are holding one for me at my local borders-yaay. I def think this is a great book to read. I wish too that I had this advice in my 20''s since I spent a decade in 3 no end relationships. And just like the the girl in the intro, I have had a bit of problem detecting jerks and i went for the successful, ego-driven just not into me guy. Now that i''m 32 its def time for me to start dating smarter!!! I don''t want to waste anymore time with the wrong guy.
emsmile.gif
"bit of a problem detecting jerks."

Amen sister!!! It was part of my learning process for sure.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/11/2009 2:58:35 PM
Author: waitingpatiently

my favorite is ''The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to your Mate'' by Gary Chapman.

this book has really helped me learn how to love my SO better, all while helping me discover a lot about myself in the process

1.gif

I''ve been meaning to read this. I''ve heard such good things. I recently moved and REALLY need to get a library card at the local library.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results