shape
carat
color
clarity

Eek! Progress :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Ok, so I''ve mentioned how my BF and I don''t plan to get engaged for awhile...at the earliest, next spring/summer, but maybe next fall or so. As we''ll both be graduating from college this December, and have just paid a lot for application fees (I''m going to law school next fall, he''s going to graduate school), there''s not going to be much money for a ring. I''ve been thinking a lot about this, and was thinking that maybe we should just push back the engagement, which doesn''t bother me at all. I brought this up with him a few nights ago, and he told me that he''d prefer to be engaged before we start law/grad school. This is because we are planning on moving across the country together, and may end up compromising our school choice to be with each other. He prefers that we have a public commitment before we do that. I respect that. Also, he knows that his parents would prefer that we be engaged before moving in together. Not that that alone would be a (good) reason to get engaged, but if we''re planning on doing it by next fall anyway, and he wants to sidestep any family drama by getting engaged a few months earlier, great!

Anyway, back to the ring situation. So, the more I thought about it, it isn''t practical to spend a couple thousand dollars on a ring when that''s all that we have in our savings. And, I don''t like the look of really small solitaires. I think I''d just rather get a nice band with a little bling in it, and wear that as my wedding ring also. Maybe some chanel set diamonds...so, I started poking around on the internet. Last night I told my boyfriend what I was thinking about the ring situation---he was thrilled about the lower price idea. Then I told him that I''ve been having a hard time finding anything online that fits the idea that I have in my head (thick-ish band, row of small diamonds, with some miligrain). And he said....drum roll..."Why don''t we go look around at the mall tomorrow and see if we can find anything you like?" I just looked at him all wide-eyed and dumb-struck! He quickly said "Just to look, and get some ideas of what is out there!" So, we''re going to look at rings tomorrow!!!! I''m sooooo excited!!!!!!
36.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Raven, when I finished reading your post I couldn''t help but smile. Of course I''m really excited that you''re going to go look at rings tomorrow, but it seemed even more exciting to me that you guys had such a thoughtful conversation about the engagement and what was practical for the two of you. It was just really refreshing to read.

I absolutely love the idea of a band--then again I''m a bit biased because I wanted an eternity band as an engagement ring, haha. I really love bands, I''ve seen so many beautiful bands and I can''t help but love how relatively economical they are--what a great idea for you guys since your priorities are on law/graduate school. If you ever want to add a ring down the road, then you can, though I do love the simple statement of a band.

I''m really happy for you, you sound like a level-headed, mature couple and I hope you have a great time tomorrow!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I think thats a fantastic idea :) eternity bands look beautiful and if you wish you can always use it as a wedding ring later.

Ring shopping is exciting :) you get too look at all the sparklies :)

SparklyGirl*

Shiny_Rock
YAY!!!!! That is exciting! Have a great day looking and you never know when you will find ''the one''!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

ravengirl

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/13/2007 10:05:17 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
Raven, when I finished reading your post I couldn''t help but smile. Of course I''m really excited that you''re going to go look at rings tomorrow, but it seemed even more exciting to me that you guys had such a thoughtful conversation about the engagement and what was practical for the two of you. It was just really refreshing to read.

I absolutely love the idea of a band--then again I''m a bit biased because I wanted an eternity band as an engagement ring, haha. I really love bands, I''ve seen so many beautiful bands and I can''t help but love how relatively economical they are--what a great idea for you guys since your priorities are on law/graduate school. If you ever want to add a ring down the road, then you can, though I do love the simple statement of a band.

I''m really happy for you, you sound like a level-headed, mature couple and I hope you have a great time tomorrow!

NewEnglandLady, what a sweet post. Reading your post made me smile! Thank you. Oh, and it''s funny that you said we could add a ring down the road--that was one of the first thing my BF said. As soon as I told him I thought we should just get a band, he smiled, and said "Ok! And, we can always get you a nice big ring for an anniversary sometime down the road if you want!" It was sweet---but he really didn''t need to try to sweeten the deal for me. Like you said, I''m just excited that we figured out what makes sense for us...I don''t know why I never thought of a band before!

I''ll come and tell everyone how ring shopping went tonight! I''m so excited...we''re heading out around 6:00. Wish me luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results