shape
carat
color
clarity

Don’t even have my ring and already thinking upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

So I’ve said a few times that I’m “against” upgrades. I think your engagement ring should stay as your engagement ring forever.

HOWEVER, we decided not to do a wedding. Ok maybe not “decided” but we are leaning towards this. I am suffering from –the condo is too small, I don’t have enough closet space, get out of the bathroom (we have 1 bathroom), can’t have more than 4 people without it feeling crowded

29.gif
- syndrome and am desperate for a house. We went over our finances and we can do a wedding next year and move into a house in 2011/2012. Then my boyfriend came up with the idea of using the wedding money to purchase a home, getting married in court (or a small cheap ceremony if we can find a spot) and then having a catered reception at our home. We know a few places that do awesome catering for $25 per person. And that’ll leave us with the option of doing our dream honeymoon (14 day Mediterranean cruise). I realize that we could wait but on the list of priorities, a home would come before a party IMO.

So this is an idea and I’m actually more excited about this idea than anything else. I’m not sure if you girls have made it over to the brides forum (who am I kidding, of course you guys have!!

31.gif
). Well “Haven” had a 4th of July wedding and invited her family back to her home for a barbecue. She showed us the dress she was going to wear and I fell in love with the whole idea (I’m sure it helped that she is absolutely stunning
2.gif
) . I could picture myself wearing a simple, but elegant dress in my own back yard and just having a blast. And what’s even cooler is that my OOT guests can crash at our place (I totally see everyone brining over sleeping bags/air mattresses and crashing there...trust me, you don''t want a mess of drunk Newyoricans trying to find their way back to the hotel
32.gif
).

All of that mess said, I’m thinking that if we do this…I might throw some of what would have been wedding money to upgrade my diamond. It has my dream criteria (I wanted G, VS2) except its very good cut versus excellent cut. It’s still very sparkly and I love it, but its an idea. I may even go from a .75 to 1 carat although I would only do this if I get a really good deal. I''m kind of leading more towards staying with the .75 because I''m guessing that if I go to 1 carat then I would have to change my setting and I don''t want to do that. What do you guys think?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Keep the ring. It was what you selected. Stop looking at other rings/stones and second guessing yourself.
38.gif

Have a wedding . . . however small or large you want. Make it a day you will remember.

Save the e-ring upgrade dollars for the house. Only you will know if the ring is an excellent cut or merely good, ''cause no one carries a loupe around to look at your bling!
28.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Holly. I would keep the ring. And get into that house ASAP. Same size, different color, better cut seems to me like a bit of a waste a this moment, considering you will have a smaller wedding to save money.

However, I guess it depends on how much the ring bothers you though. If you think about it often during the day ''''i.e 3-4 times a day'''' I think that is enough annoyance to change it (especially if the difference in price is minimal ie. 500$...because I don`t think that will make a huge dent in the downpayment fund.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I would have the smaller, more intimate wedding and then get the house sooner, but keep your current ring for a while. I did the big church wedding the first time around, and can honestly say that a year or two later, the only thing that mattered to me was the pictures we had of the day. Next time, I''m definitely keeping it small and simple, but still elegant. I don''t think there''s a big enough difference between a .75 and a 1 ct to upgrade right away. Keep your current ring, and if you still want to upgrade on your 5 or 10 year anniv, do it then. Your budget then might afford you something even bigger (or you may have different thoughts by then and be happy with what you have).

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
That makes sense Holly and Ally. I love my ring and the only thing I have with it is that its not an ideal cut stone so in that sense yes its prob not worth changing it and throwing money that way. Thanks!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 12:43:57 PM
Author: fieryred33143
That makes sense Holly and Ally. I love my ring and the only thing I have with it is that its not an ideal cut stone so in that sense yes its prob not worth changing it and throwing money that way. Thanks!

My stone is not an ''excellent'' cut either. Only I know that. And my jeweler. And my husband. But just us. And now, all of you!
9.gif

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Remember when you said, "I''m so happy with the purchase. It''s amazing how you can do all of this research on the perfect diamond and the perfect setting but the final decision is really based on your heart."

Yeah?

Don''t change the ring.

You will have many anniversaries to think about upgrading or getting a different stone for. Keep your engagement ring as is.

Splurge on your house and find a way to splurge on your wedding day even if it''s something like spending a good amount on a great caterer or photographer. You only get this one day, don''t sidestep it for other reasons that will always be an eventually.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
"Ideal - Schmeideal"
20.gif

If it''s not frozen spit, it isn''t carbon peppered, it sparkles like mad and you
30.gif
it, it IS ideal.
9.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Keep the house priority number one. Then have a kick ass party to celebrate your wedding!
36.gif

Trust me ma, a house is going to mean a lot more than a slightly upgraded e-ring...te lo juro
2.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s hard not to think of any upgrade around this place.

Did you buy from a place that allows upgrades in the future?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nothing is more important than diamonds. NOTHING !
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 3:44:38 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
2.gif
I know this is PS, but you really need to work on those values of yours.
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2008 12:34:58 PM
Author: HollyS
Date: 7/11/2008 3:44:38 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
2.gif
I know this is PS, but you really need to work on those values of yours.
9.gif
LMAO!!!
Trust DF to put everything into perspective.
9.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results