shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Gwen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard you were talking about Nutella cake in Harriet's Tsav thread...Need help?

Sorry for putting this on the LIW thread, but I figured you'd be around here...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh oh oh OH yes! I have never before heard of a Nutella cake, but I ADORE the stuff and would love to be able to make one. ....got a recipe?
27.gif
31.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Meeeeee toooooo! Do you have any good recipes? That naughty Harriet mentioned it and NOW I can''t stop thinking about it. Even the lemon cake in the fridge won''t cure my cravings. I had molten cake on Saturday so now I want molten Nutella cake. Maybe a molten chocolate cake with Nutella ganache? I''ve never made a molten cake so we''ll see how it turns out! I did watch Jacques Pepin make one on TV, so I guess that makes me a pro!
28.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Nutella as well...And I don't have a recipe, but let me poke around a little bit...

Lookie here!! Nigella Lawson made a recipe!!! Link But its totally flourless...Let me look around a little more...

Nutella Cheesecake

This one sounds kind of funky to me...it has spices added to it...

Ok, I'm not finding what I want to. I'm thinking about making up one. What do you think?

ETA: LOL Miranda!!!

I made a cake for my uncle's 70th (actually two cakes, but whatever) One of them was chocolate cake with Nutella filling. That was a bit of a mess-I was trying to do it fast because the cake had a lot of other issues (giant 7 on the chocolate one and a giant 0 on the white one made of cake, and a different color from the rest of it all-so that the 70 was 3D)...

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:37:42 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I love Nutella as well...And I don''t have a recipe, but let me poke around a little bit...

Lookie here!! Nigella Lawson made a recipe!!! Link But its totally flourless...Let me look around a little more...

Nutella Cheesecake

This one sounds kind of funky to me...it has spices added to it...

Ok, I''m not finding what I want to. I''m thinking about making up one. What do you think?
I think that sounds awesome!!! In the meantime, the Nutella cheesecake might tide me over...
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t want to try to give you a recipe I haven''t tried, so maybe give me a couple of days and I''ll try one out?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2008 11:46:48 AM
I don''t want to try to give you a recipe I haven''t tried, so maybe give me a couple of days and I''ll try one out?
Take as much time as you need, my love! One cannot hurry art.
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Le bump!

Just wondering if, since it''s the weekend, you have any time to experiment, my dear? If not, no worries. Just curious.
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love nutella too!!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
Did you try the nutella sandwich at Relish FC?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 1:55:01 PM
Author: Skippy123
30.gif
No! What''s Relish FC? What''s in a Nutella sandwich (other than obviously Nutella)? Tell me please, dear Skippy! I must know!
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not today or tomorrow dear Gwen, but perhaps next weekend? Today is BFs birthday and I made him a huge spice/beer cake last night, so we have to get rid of that first. But as soon as that sucker is gone-I''m on top of it!

And Relish is a sandwich shop here in Albuquerque. The FC part is me. And Skippy, I have not made it yet. But I''ll try to talk BF into going there ASAP.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 2:31:51 PM
Not today or tomorrow dear Gwen, but perhaps next weekend? Today is BFs birthday and I made him a huge spice/beer cake last night, so we have to get rid of that first. But as soon as that sucker is gone-I''m on top of it!

And Relish is a sandwich shop here in Albuquerque. The FC part is me. And Skippy, I have not made it yet. But I''ll try to talk BF into going there ASAP.
Ahh, it all makes sense now! I first read it as Relish Football Club and was like, "buh-whaaa?!"
37.gif

Yay, happy birthday to your FF!!!
36.gif
No worries about the cake, just thought I''d check in since you originally said a couple of days. Hope you have a great time celebrating!
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish a couple of days! Unfortunately my mom sent FF and I home with the leftovers from the birthday cake I made for my dad. So not only did I have leftover cake, but the cake batter had made way more cake than I needed so I have cupcakes leftover too.
20.gif
If my mom had not sent the cake home, I WOULD have gotten to it within a few days.

So, next on my list of things to bake-make Nutella cake, and make a cake version of the Ispahan for Harriet. You''ll probably win out on that one, even if it is just because I have to find somewhere that carries rose water/rose syrup before I can make the Ispahan. And believe me, I know who sells Nutella! (There is a Swiss sausage kitchen that''s literally across a block away from my house that carries the Jumbo jars of Nutella! So it''s easy to get...Rose water, not so much!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 1:57:56 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 6/7/2008 1:55:01 PM
30.gif
No! What's Relish FC? What's in a Nutella sandwich (other than obviously Nutella)? Tell me please, dear Skippy! I must know!
9.gif
Oh oopsie daisies. I will tell ya what it is since it is the moistest (not sure if that is a word) incredible sandwich!!! It is on a baguette, spread with lots and lots of nutella, a bit of cinnamon, sugar, sliced bananas grilled in a panini machine sprinkled with sugar so it is nice and gooey goodness
18.gif
11.gif
31.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, that sounds like heaven! I will have to try and make myself one.
18.gif

ListlessLiz

Rough_Rock
Ok I''m going to HAVE to try out the flourless cake. I know flourless cake sounds awful but every one I''ve ever tried has been so incredibly good. Like a giant piece of chocolate fudge but a (little) less rich. Besides that, I worship at the feet of Nigella Lawson.

Once I can find some Nutella over the next week or two (darn small town supermarkets) then I''ll volunteer to test out the flourless recipe. Get back to you soon...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:44:47 PM
Author: ListlessLiz
I know flourless cake sounds awful but every one I've ever tried has been so incredibly good. Like a giant piece of chocolate fudge but a (little) less rich. Besides that, I worship at the feet of Nigella Lawson.
Who said anything about flourless cake sounding awful? I personally prefer cakey cakes, that's all. i have a recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies that you would never know they didn't have flour in them.

I'm going to have to make up a recipe for cakey Nutella cake-because it doesn't exist elsewhere it seems. So I'm doing it for the good of society. I think being that it's Nutella, a cakey brownie texture would be probably ideal.

Gwen, the little store a block away from my house is closed because the owners went on vacation. So I'm probably going to have to perhaps go to the Asian/world foods place a few miles away. Unless they have it at Whole Goods. Anyone know?

And no one has filberts/hazelnuts 'round these here parts. I don't know whats up with that. But I need them because I'm planning on substituting some flour with ground h-nuts. See Gwen, I've been thinking about it-just not able to execute it just yet.

And to add insult to injury, BF hasn't eaten any of the birthday cake I made him. Now we've been super busy today, and we've eaten a lot-well he did, so he has that for an excuse, but still...

ETA: I agree that Nigella is awesome, but with all chefs, I question their pastry making skills because I have watched Emeril (and others...but not Giada) MAJORLY SCREW UP simple pastry and baked goods. Makes me sad...
14.gif

ListlessLiz

Rough_Rock
MMM what about Nutella brownies? Just bake regular brownies and shmear some nutella on top?? I''m clearly getting carried away with my chocolate cravings...

Freke, I feel you on the cakey cake/fudgey cake debate. I suppose I''m of the "fudgey" camp - but I might just have to try out the flourless and the "flourful" (??) recipes for comparison. I''m DEFINITELY trying the flourless recipe though - my mouth has been watering since I read it. I''ll consider it my little contribution to society.

Also, I''ve been to Emeril''s restaurant in Vegas and it was not so impressive. Not saying he was the personal chef who butchered, cleaned, and cooked my steak - but still, for an Emeril branded restaurant I expected - bam! - perfection. I ended up abandoning the leftovers on the monorail...

Also, you should read this:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/02/guest_blogging_.html

It''s Anthony Bourdain''s hilarious blog about the debatable merits of all the big-time Food Network chefs. He''s a bit harsh on some of them - but he seems to like Giada overall. I was really surprised about that - I thought he''d pounce on her "MOO-zerella" and "brus-KAY-ta" and "Spuh-GAY-tea" right off the bat. I like the girl, but the impromptu "Italian" lessons sure can grate on you after a few minutes.

ListlessLiz

Rough_Rock
Just in case I didn''t give you enough incentive to read Bourdain''s blog, here''s an excerpt:

"SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see."

Screw being a LIW, I''ll go marry Anthony Bourdain. He probably has a satisfying scent of bourbon, cigarettes, steak sauce, and repressed anger.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 11:34:02 AM
MMM what about Nutella brownies? Just bake regular brownies and shmear some nutella on top?? I''m clearly getting carried away with my chocolate cravings...
I have got to try that, YUM, how delicious is that!?!?!?
18.gif
11.gif
31.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 11:41:47 AM
Screw being a LIW, I''ll go marry Anthony Bourdain. He probably has a satisfying scent of bourbon, cigarettes, steak sauce, and repressed anger.
Yeah, don''t tell J, but I''m totally in love with Anthony Bourdain.
5.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
Anthony. Got to meet him in person here in New Mexico-he's freaking awesome. Went to Les Halles in NYC-he wasn't there, and the restaurant was utter chaos (Mother's day 2004 I think?) and was unimpressed with the waitstaff and totally thrilled with the food.

I've read Ruhlman's blog before (mostly with the Next Food Network Star-which I'm totally convinced I should try out for.) So I'll read it, but probably not until later. Anthony was my friend on myspace but I do believe his profile was deleted.

Famous Chef's restaurants I've been to-
Mesa Grill at Caesar's Palace (Bobby Flay) I totally think he's a jack@$$ most of the time (he doesn't know southwestern cooking, I promise...) But the food was fantastic. I had a pork tenderloin sandwich and it was enormous, great, and perfectly cooked. Along with the fries and the BREAD. OMG THE BREAD. I'm not used to getting really good bread at restaurants, and it was FANTASTIC. Then a big ol' slice of chocolate (flour-y) cake covered in dark chocolate ganache with coconut sorbet and candied lime and lime sauce and OMG. That was amazing too. I need to go work for his P Chef. And I should mention that it was very affordable and seemed like a great value for the money.
Les Halles NYC (Anthony Bourdain) Food was pretty great (Filet cooked rare w/ Bearnaise sauce, and then french fries-but NOT like fast food ones!) but the service kind of sucked-again it was mother's day so it was INSANELY busy, but still...
Gramercy Tavern (Tom Colicchio) The best food I have ever had, and the best service I had ever had. We were three grungy college students (if CIA counts as college) and they treated us like movie stars. But the food...ceviche, rabbit(yes I felt guilty), lamb shanks, scallops, and other stuff that I just can't remember, but it was all amazing. And then dessert. We got three FREE desserts (Hey, we weren't afraid to tell them we were from CIA) and shared them. The one that stood out in my mind the most was the black pepper ice cream. I can't remember what it went with, but the stuff was just amazing. First of all, it didn't have any black specks-it was pure white, but the flavor and the fact that it burned your throat with spice heat as it was melting down your throat-absolutely divine.
OTTO NYC (Mario Batali) I didn't try anything but a bite of pizza (Yum!) and three different gelatos-olive oil, salty caramel and corn (which was the special that day) and I'd go back to NYC in a heartbeat just for that olive oil gelato. I can't even explain what it's like, but I'm still tempted to try it out on my own one of these days...Maybe for the 4th of July...
Postrio Las Vegas (Wolfgang Puck) That food is wonderful. We went right before we saw Blue Man Group and it was some awesome food. I had salmon (which was cooked perfectly medium rare) with a red pepper sauce and orzo and BF had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes (this was over 2 years ago that we ate this, I don't know how I remember it so well) and he proclaimed it the best roasted chicken and potatoes he'd ever had. Which is huge.

That's all I can think of at the moment...We had talked about going to Emeril's when we went the last time, but went to Mesa Grill instead because we just happened to be at Caesar's Palace. Now that I've heard your review, I'm glad we didn't go. I'm sorry you had an icky experience.

As for comments from Tony about various Food Network Chefs...He hates Rachael Ray and JUST for that fact I would be a fan of his, if I wasn't such a huge one already. And Sandra Lee is a f-ing joke, but stay at home moms probably eat her shiz up. No respect from me to her. As for Giada, I don't care what she says really, I just love to watch her cook, because she doesn't do anything for show (like Emeril), she's just got this profound respect for the food itself and I admire that. It helps that her ingredients are always fresh (I'm not getting a dig in on Sandra Lee AT ALL
20.gif
) and it always looks like something I'd want to eat. And I don't like Italian food all that much.

As for both you and Gwen wanting to marry Anthony, I don't think his wife would approve, but I don't think she'd be surprised. (I want to meet her too! I want to know what kind of woman could "tie him down" and put up with his sh!+ for so long!)

Sorry for the random long post...starting thinking about food and it all came out...

You guys are making me want to make nutella cake. We still have 9/10 of the spice cake left (and BF finally ate a piece!) so I feel like I can't. Maybe my neighbor would like some...she's a scrawny med student, she probably needs to keep her energy up!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I know he''s married, but I can adore from afar.
3.gif

I haven''t been yet, but I want to go with J to Marco Pierre White''s restaurant. I''d heard about him from J''s mom who''s a fabulous cook and she just worships Marco, but didn''t get exposed to Marco myself until (ironically) watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain''s show as he traveled from one end of the UK to the other. The food at his restaurant looks and sounds amaaaaaaaaaaazing, and it''s only a 2-hour drive from where I am currently at school...
27.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!GO GO GO!!!!

(And then get back to me and tell me how it was!!!)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 5:10:14 PM
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!GO GO GO!!!!

(And then get back to me and tell me how it was!!!)
We are poor! We can't afford it right now!
39.gif

Here is the website of the restaurant: http://www.theyewtree.net/
And a clip of that episode of Anthony and Marco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DTOSktYz8&feature=related

ETA: Hahah, I just showed J this thread and he said, "Wait, I thought it was pretty reasonably priced?" I said that it was, but that we didn't have much money at the moment and were probably moving much farther away from it, so it seemed unlikely we'd be going anytime soon. So he says, "It will happen. Sooner or later."
9.gif
36.gif

stacy

Shiny_Rock
You all are sooooooo bad. I am jonesin'' for a Nutella sandwich BAD now... And I''ve been so good today!

*Leaves for the store*

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You must go before you leave the country!!! (England that is.)

I'm sitting here drooling over the dang menu now...(Why do I have to live in New Mexico where there aren't any really good restaurants with really good food?!) Skippy! If you have any suggestions, please speak up!

ETA: You know what I just thought of while reading stacy's comment? Nutella in place of peanut butter in a fluffer nutter sandwich!!!!!OMG!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 6:53:14 PM

I'm sitting here drooling over the dang menu now...(Why do I have to live in New Mexico where there aren't any really good restaurants with really good food?!) Skippy! If you have any suggestions, please speak up!

ETA: You know what I just thought of while reading stacy's comment? Nutella in place of peanut butter in a fluffer nutter sandwich!!!!!OMG!
We have a few good places. hehe Get the cubano at Relish, that is what I am getting with my girlfriends this week. Also, get the little pasta salad with it, yum!

I love the Frontier, they have the best fluffiest tortilla's anywhere besides my mom's!
3.gif
I really love eating at Savoy, Zinc, Season's, Slate Street and Il Vicino.
How about you? I use to love the Flying Star but it doesn't taste like it use to years ago.
15.gif
I love India Palace. Let me think some more. I do love to go up to Santa Fe and have a nice lunch with hubby.
3.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2008 9:26:11 PM
Date: 6/8/2008 6:53:14 PM

I''m sitting here drooling over the dang menu now...(Why do I have to live in New Mexico where there aren''t any really good restaurants with really good food?!) Skippy! If you have any suggestions, please speak up!
ETA: You know what I just thought of while reading stacy''s comment? Nutella in place of peanut butter in a fluffer nutter sandwich!!!!!OMG!
We have a few good places. hehe Get the cubano at Relish, that is what I am getting with my girlfriends this week. Also, get the little pasta salad with it, yum!

I love the Frontier, they have the best fluffiest tortilla''s anywhere besides my mom''s!
3.gif
I really love eating at Savoy, Zinc, Season''s, Slate Street and Il Vicino.
How about you? I use to love the Flying Star but it doesn''t taste like it use to years ago.
15.gif
I love India Palace. Let me think some more. I do love to go up to Santa Fe and have a nice lunch with hubby.
3.gif
I haven''t tried Savoy, and I''ll probably do everything I can to not go there. I had a bit of an issue with the owner/chef Bob Peterson when I (and he) worked at Seasons. No comment there.

But I love Zinc-Chris Pope is a great chef and a decent guy.

Here''s my list of yummy restaurants in ABQ:
Il Vicino
Zinc
Flying Star (you''re right though, the quality has gone down it seems)
Frontier (I heart everything there-but I could live off of the tortillas and the orange juice)
Yanni''s
Scalo
I Love Sushi and Teppan Grill
Padilla''s Mexican Kitchen
Dion''s in general
Scarpas

Places to try:
Slate Street (where is that?)
Relish

Where in Santa Fe? I haven''t been there in FOREVER, and haven''t really eaten at any decent restaurants there (Starbucks, Pizza Hut, and Dions don''t count) except for one-but I don''t remember where it was or the name of it. I think it was in the Plaza though...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slate Street is near the Court House off of 5th street on Roma. I love their grilled salmon with applewood bacon, get the mayo on the side because they can be heavy handed with it. You can ask for a side salad instead of fries.

I don't know the chef's just the twins at Savoy. They have a great wine list and it isn't too far from me. Sorry, that happened.
8.gif

I love Olympia, I do like Yanni's. Vivace is good, I do like Padilla's too. I end up 80% of the time when we go out to eat at Il Vicino; it is so easy and good! I also like the Grove. I do not like the Standard. The Gruet is okay, they do have a good wine list like Savoy and that group of restaurants. I haven't been to Scalo's since prom. hehe
2.gif
My sister says St. Clare Winery is good so I will have to try that out. I went to Whole Foods the other day and they do not have Tres Leche's nor does Flying star. Is it like bread pudding? My friends say Marcello Chop house is good so that is on the list to try out too. Oh my favorite for steaks is Paul's Monterey Inn, love how it is so retro! haha

Santa fe, let me look up how to spell some of those places. hehe The Compound is good, there is this nice place for gourmet pizza that is on the plaza upstair, I would have to look that up. Tia Sophia's, I would eat there lots of times for work w/coworkers so I need to look that stuff up. Ecco's is originally from Santa Fe and then they opened up one in Nob Hill and I love that place for Gelato. Any good Thai places???

Taos has good food too!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results