shape
carat
color
clarity

All the good news fit to post

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
This is a silly post, but I’m happy, so bear with me! It may not make it into the new system anyway, so it will be gone soon enough! I love my boyfriend. This weekend, I really started to feel like we were family, and it was thrilling.

On Saturday, we went to his sister and brother-in-law’s new house. We met his parents there to celebrate the new house, my boyfriend’s new job (after a long, hard, unemployment), his dad’s birthday and a very belated Mother’s Day. So literally everyone at the table was being honored except for me (not that I minded; I’m thrilled about all of these things!). But somehow, his mom managed to make me feel like a million bucks. We toasted to all the aforementioned good things happening, and then she turned to me, almost in tears, and said, “I also want to personally thank you, blacksand, for being so good to him [i.e., during his unemployment]. I know that everything he went through, you went through with him. It takes a very special person to do that, and I think you’re pretty special.” I very nearly burst into tears. Everyone hugged everyone, and it was a super saccharine family moment. Aww. I love his family.

We had a party at my parents’ the next day. My cousin, who was like a sister to me growing up, was visiting from Florida. He had never met her before. But they greeted each other with a hug anyway, because they’d heard so much about each other. “So this is the one who’s going to be your matron of honor?” he asked me. By the end of the day, we’d already made plans to go visit her and her husband in Disney World this fall (!). I’m not sure if I’m more excited about Disney or about spending time with my cousin, but I love that he’s so into the idea of us spending time with the people who are important to me.

I told him that night that I didn’t mean to sound like I was in a rush, but I can’t wait for us to be family. “We already are,” he said. “I’m just working on making it official.”

The funny thing is, I’m a dry sarcastic cynic most of the time in real life. If you only read my PS posts, you’d probably think I was all puppies and rainbows and cotton candy all the time. That’s so not the case. But this is how happy this man makes me.

Pushin40

Brilliant_Rock
I love posts like this!!!!

Good for you Blacksand!

beezygal

Brilliant_Rock
awww.. it is a good post. That''s so sweet his whole family loves you.
30.gif

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
His family sounds wonderful
1.gif
It sounds like it won''t be too much longer!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!!!! That''s awesome. Sounds like you both come from great families.
So happy for you that things are going well!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blacksand your post made me grin!! I''m so happy for you, it sounds like you two have a fantastic relationship
5.gif

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaaaw! Happiness to you and your love. Thanks for spreading your sunshine. So many things can be stressful and downers these days so reading a post like yours is awesome!
1.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I <3 you Blacksand!!! That''s the sort of thing I would post--and I am like you, very dry witted and sarcastic IRL. Sounds like you are going to have some wonderful new additions to your family, that is so great.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone! I''m so glad I have a place to post this kind of cheesy sunshine-y goodness. My friends sure don''t want to hear it!

I really love his family. I definitely also love mine! I never realized how important this was to me until I met him. Thinking back, every single person I dated before had some kind of family issues. I never gave it too much thought, and I never realized how much strain it put on me and on the relationships. I see posts here almost every day about problems with the in-laws or in-laws-to-be, and many replies that say something along the lines of "you''re marrying him, not the family. Draw the line now." Every situation is different, of course; I''m not judging anyone. But I''m honestly so thrilled he has such a great family. I want to marry every single one of them (figuratively speaking, of course!). I''m sure there will be issues from time to time, as in any family, but I honestly do not think, at this point in my life, that I could ever marry someone whose family wasn''t awesome. Awesomeness is a requirement for me now. I''m so glad we''ll have each other, and that alone would be wonderful, but we''ll also have so many good people in our lives.

I''m glad I have an awesome boyfriend and two awesome families. I''m glad I didn''t marry my exes, with their crazy families. I''m glad we''re going to Disney World! Puppies and rainbows and unicorns!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi Blacksand, Yay for happy families!

I''m glad that they like you so much, and that you like them. I think a good relationship with his family can do a lot to help strengthen your relationship as a couple. I''m sure your disney trip willl be tons of fun.

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I can''t wait. I''ve actually never been to Disney (sad but true). My cousin and her husband both live and work there, so there really is no reason for me NOT to go. Free tickets, free place to stay.... Honestly, my only concern was whether they''d be able/willing to accommodate the boyfriend as well. But they specifically invited him. So we have to go now. It should be great. Quality time with the boyfriend, a nice visit with my future matron of honor, family bonding time, Disney...what could be better?

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Blacksand, I squealed with delight at this post.

Future FI''s family also treats me very very well, and I love it. And I love them. And I am so very very excited to be a part of their family.

Have fun in Disney!!! I haven''t been since I was a teenager, but A and I are talking about going at some point and I can''t wait!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Aaawww!!! It''s awesome that his family loves you so!!! Definitely makes you feel like you''re already part of the family!! Awesome post!!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Yay Blacksand! Congratulations to your bf for finding a new job - That''s wonderful! His mother sounds like a sweetheart too.
1.gif

Also, I''m super jealous about the disney thing. I used to live in Los Angeles and I had an annual pass for 3 years.. I went there at least twice a month and I miss it SO MUCH! Someday I''d like to visit Disneyworld (I''m on the east coast now, so it''s a bit closer). Like you, I''m quite the cynic most of the time but OoOoOo.. Disneyland just makes me a happy little kid!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! And PavePrincess, I’ve never been to Disneyland either. I’m seriously deprived, I know! This will be a whole new world for me (yes, Aladdin song lyric intended). Boyfriend, on the other hand, is a Disney fanatic, and has been loads of times before. He has books, and apparently extensive knowledge. It is all I’ve heard about in the past week. He’s a little excited.

HaloBelle

Shiny_Rock
You just made my day with that post! SO happy for you! I know how it is with the happy family...its sooo nice to not worry about family issues. My BF''s family is also all sunshine and puppies (as is mine, most of the time) and just try, over time, not to take it for granted.

I went through a phase (3 months?) where I couldn''t stand being around the BF''s family.
32.gif
They had visited seriously like every weekend for 2 months and I was over it. I couldn''t do it anymore. (Its not just his family, big gatherings just stress me out. even my own parties.) Then, a close friend was having PSinlaws (haha! psuedo in-laws b/c they are not married yet) issues and I realized how lucky I was to be with two very happy, functional, and loving families. Enjoy how loving they are, just remember to take small "me time" if you start stressing.

The BF knows why I go to the kitchen when the food is already served...I need a small scoop of icecream and 5 mins to be alone. :D

19.gif

AnneTossy

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 8:31:35 PM
Author: blacksand

I''m glad I have an awesome boyfriend and two awesome families. I''m glad I didn''t marry my exes, with their crazy families. I''m glad we''re going to Disney World! Puppies and rainbows and unicorns!
Oh my god that is too funny. I just spit out my drink at work!! bahaha :)

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, jespere! I haven''t quite reached that point (of mandatory ice cream breaks), but I''m sure it will happen sooner or later. I think it''s harder for him, since my family is much bigger, and probably a little intimidating for him. We see them fairly often, too. I can''t help it if my cousins have a lot of birthdays! But he never complains, and seems to genuinely like them all. AnneTossy, glad I could help. Hope your keyboard survived!

This weekend he officially told me he is going to propose around the same time we move into together, which will be around October, if he can save up enough money for the ring (plus startup costs for a new place). I told him I don''t care about the ring, and we could buy that together sometime in the future, but he was absolutely firm about buying a ring before he proposes to me. Would not budge on that. So he is saving. October is not set in stone, but since that is when his lease will be up, it makes sense for us to get a place together then, if we can find something in our price range. He won''t accept any financial help from me, but I will circumvent that by paying for as many dinners, movies, etc. as I can get away with between now and then, so his money can go right to savings!

I can''t believe it, but it looks like I will be engaged this year!

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/7/2010 12:44:52 PM
Author: blacksand
Thanks, jespere! I haven''t quite reached that point (of mandatory ice cream breaks), but I''m sure it will happen sooner or later. I think it''s harder for him, since my family is much bigger, and probably a little intimidating for him. We see them fairly often, too. I can''t help it if my cousins have a lot of birthdays! But he never complains, and seems to genuinely like them all. AnneTossy, glad I could help. Hope your keyboard survived!

This weekend he officially told me he is going to propose around the same time we move into together, which will be around October, if he can save up enough money for the ring (plus startup costs for a new place). I told him I don''t care about the ring, and we could buy that together sometime in the future, but he was absolutely firm about buying a ring before he proposes to me. Would not budge on that. So he is saving. October is not set in stone, but since that is when his lease will be up, it makes sense for us to get a place together then, if we can find something in our price range. He won''t accept any financial help from me, but I will circumvent that by paying for as many dinners, movies, etc. as I can get away with between now and then, so his money can go right to savings!

I can''t believe it, but it looks like I will be engaged this year!

Okay, first of all - GREAT PLAN! Boys can be so stubborn sometimes, but that''s what makes them so sweet! My fiance and I recently went to look at wedding bands and the one I liked was umm.. really really expensive.
22.gif
So, I convinced him that perhaps I could contribute a bit to offset the price difference of a normal wedding ring. After all, when you''re married most of the money is shared.. Sigh - Freaking Pricescope has made me lust over diamonds!

I think you will definitely be engaged this year! So, exciting!
36.gif
Maybe he''ll propose in Disneyworld! Ahhh - can he please?!? I''d be so happy and jealous of you at the same time! LoL. Enjoy the pre-engagement period.. it''s such a whirlwind!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
I know I would be thrilled with a Disney proposal, just as I would be with a kitchen sink proposal. The only thing with Disney is that he and his ex went on their honeymoon there. I try not to dwell on things like that. I know that relationship is fully over, and I know that just because we are traveling to a place he has been to with his ex does NOT mean he will be thinking of her. I don''t question his commitment to me for a second.

Still, I don''t think he would propose there, if only because it might seem a little weird to some people. I wouldn''t be upset either way, and the idea of getting engaged with the magic of Disney all around is really quite romantic. I don''t know...what do you PSers think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results