shape
carat
color
clarity

AHHH LSAT next Monday!! (not LIW-related at all)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry your score wasn''t what you wanted. I know how stressed out you must feel about it! 165 isn''t a bad score though, you said you were looking at schools in Manhattan? Do you mind sharing where? NYU/Columbia you''d probably want to retake the test, but Fordham''s a really good school and your score is very competitive there.

If you decide to retake I''m sending lots of studying dust!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
purselover,
I would certainly consider Fordham, but you guessed right, CLS is my dream school with NYU closely behind. I am a Virginia state resident, so I should probably apply to UVA and pray hard, but I am sick of being in a LDR
7.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
165 is a pretty solid score Suchende! Good job! :)

Its so nice to meet someone else applying to law schools! Have you used the LSAC''s little contraption where you put in your GPA and LSAT''s and then where you fall according to the middle 50 of law schools?

I''d also check in to see how the schools you''re interested in feel about re-taking LSAT''s; one of my best friends just applied to law schools (she''s going to UNC in the fall). She had taken them twice, and for some schools, she had to tell them why she had to take them again; apparently some average two scores, and some take only the best score (University of Florida does this; I know you''re interested in going to New York though). My Kaplan instructor told us that usually when people take the LSAT''s a second time they do better (and so did my friend). Good luck! I''ll let you know how I do in the fall!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on the 165. I know you''re bummed about it, but I''m partial to that score because that''s what I got
3.gif

Best of luck if you take it again! And good luck with the apps!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
idk if this helps but FI only scored 3 points higher than you and got into one of your dream schools, good luck I know this whole process is stressful
7.gif

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
165 is nothing to sneeze at. I just finished law school and am currently studying for the bar and probably would have gotten into my current school with that score. anyway,

Did you take a Kaplan class before this first try? if not, I would NOT retake the test without taking the Kaplan class. It shot my score up over 10 points, and I didn''t have a low score to begin with. I ended up rocking the test after Kaplan and got in everywhere but 1 school that I applied to. also, if you can take the december exam and not the october exam, i think you might do better. I have zero authority on this, but it just seems like the peeple who take the december lsat, do better than the october. I did, but my tests were a year apart.

good luck on the admissions process. Just remember where you go to school dictates a lot of where you are going to practice. I.e. you are from virginia, you will have an easier time getting jobs in virginia if you stay in state, just because the on-campus recruiting and the such makes it easier.
Also, if you go to new york and want to practice there, just be prepared to prove that you truly want to be in new york, since you are from a different state. I saw too many law review kids at my school get passed over because their only ties to the state were that they came to law school here. Firms, escpecially in this economy, want to make sure they get their investment out of you and since they typically don''t make money on new associates for the first three years, that is a pretty big commitment that they have in you.

good luck!
oh, and everyone will tell you this and it 100% true....do nothing but study first year. THose first year grades determine everything!!!!!

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Suchende, Please don''t get upset yet. You know where I went to law school
2.gif
and I know of at least 2 people that I went to school with who got a 165 their first time around, took it a second time, and increased their score. They weren''t ever asked why they took it twice.

Plus, sometimes law school admissions can be a real crapshoot. I''m sure you''ve talked to your bf and his friends about this but you might get into higher ranked schools and not get into some lower ranked ones. The results are sometimes weird.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 3:25:21 PM
Author: lucyandroger
2.gif
and I know of at least 2 people that I went to school with who got a 165 their first time around, took it a second time, and increased their score. They weren''t ever asked why they took it twice.

Plus, sometimes law school admissions can be a real crapshoot. I''m sure you''ve talked to your bf and his friends about this but you might get into higher ranked schools and not get into some lower ranked ones. The results are sometimes weird.

Where did you go to school?
18.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
First of all, thank you everyone for your words of encouragement. I know it''s not a bad score, but I was practicing higher and was expecting more.

I took a Powerscore class, which, BTW, I would definitely recommend, despite my current score disappointment.

I did MUCH worse on LR than I had been doing for practice tests. In fact, both my games and reading comp scores were right in my target range, it was some silly mistakes in LR that got me. So, I''ll be re-reading the LR bible, doing the newest PTs and re-taking in September. If it doesn''t go better, I will look at my options with the score(s) I have.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 3:25:21 PM
Author: lucyandroger
2.gif

I know, I was just looking at my boyfriend''s excel sheet of acceptances and waitlists. It''s funny how cycles can go! And also funny how everyone blames it on yield protect.
3.gif

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2009 2:36:23 AM
Author: szh07
Suchende, have you checked this out?

link to Kaplan''s test day analysis
No, I hadn''t seen that!

I heard a lot of people saying that games was just crazy-hard, but I can''t say I agree. In fact, now that I have reviewed my answers, I think iit was a pretty easy test, I just screwed up LR.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results