shape
carat
color
clarity

To all the experts: can UV spectroscopy really detect modern CVD and HPHT?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

machinus

Rough_Rock
I ask this question as a skeptic, and someone who has some cynical feelings about diamond companies...

Is the current generation of diamond analysis machines sufficient to tell the difference between the most modern synthetics and mined stones?

What is the next step? How advanced will these machines have to get, and is there anything about real diamonds that can''t be faked, or is it possible for the industry to one day change?

Finally, if the diamond trading group already has large laboratories for creating their own diamonds, wouldn''t they want to be able to make them indistinguishable from mined diamonds? What''s stopping them from producing perfect stones and selling them?

Tom Gelb

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/28/2010 8:18:39 AM
Author:machinus
I ask this question as a skeptic, and someone who has some cynical feelings about diamond companies...

Is the current generation of diamond analysis machines sufficient to tell the difference between the most modern synthetics and mined stones?

Yes, the machines, along with an enormous database of natural diamonds, and the expertise to read the data are enough to distu=inguish between natural and synthetic diamonds. The laboratories, especially the GIA has some extremely smart researchers, and they are on top of this.

What is the next step? How advanced will these machines have to get, and is there anything about real diamonds that can''t be faked, or is it possible for the industry to one day change?

The future is hard to know, but there has yet to be a method of creating diamonds that is undetectable. On a very absic level synthetic diamonds grow much more quickly and in a different environment than their natural counterparts. I would expect that it is likely that there will never be an undetectable synthetic. Also I would note that the synthetic diamond producers are an aboveboard group of companies, and their goal is to make synthetic diamond, not diamonds that are indistinguishable from their mined counterparts.

Finally, if the diamond trading group already has large laboratories for creating their own diamonds, wouldn''t they want to be able to make them indistinguishable from mined diamonds? What''s stopping them from producing perfect stones and selling them?

Not everyone is unscrupulous, and there are a great deal of companies and firms whose future is tied directly making this distinction detectable. In fact DeBeers is one of the largest creators of diamonds (albeit industrial) and I cannot think of another industry player who has more at stake.

I hope this clears it up, and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results