shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to turn my money into a blue diamond engagement ring

doc dogg

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking on PS for a while now looking for the prefect ring to give my girlfriend, but the more I look the harder it gets to find something :rolleyes: I do know it will feature a non-round blue diamond, probably around .6-.7ct depending on what I can afford. That's the easy bit :) The hard bit is finding the right ring to put it in. I want it to be a surprise, so I've been gathering intel on what she likes but I'm having a hard time finding something that matches what she wants within my price range. It seems every jewellery shop in Australia buys there rings from the same place...and then adds 500% markup :cheeky:

Here is her ring criteria:
Thin band, not white or rose gold. Yellow gold is fine but tending towards preferring platinum.
Cannot be a single diamond setting with a plain band.
No round main diamonds.
If it is a single diamond ring with a diamond band, the band diamonds mustn't be in a channel. They must look like they are floating.
Halos are fine, but must be floating diamonds, not channel set.
Chunky diamond mounts are not allowed, they look like diamond tipped metal towers.
Needs to be unique.
Art deco or similar types of features are OK, so long as it doesn't look too busy.

All up I have a budget of $5,000 maximum which means compromises will have to take place. I would love to get her a platinum thin-halo set blue diamond with a thin diamond band, but the prices I've been quoted are well over my budget.

Actually something like in the first post here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-is-the-right-blue-for-me.135953/ but with a squareish diamond would have been perfect.

Alternatively something like the ring here https://www.pricescope.com/forum/#p3445306 might be an option as well.

Ahhh!! Too many choices.

The first ring she showed me when we first started dating all those years ago was a 1ct emerald cut diamond with two smaller emerald cut sapphires flanking it and a split band with diamonds in each band. She liked the design but the split band was too wide for her thin fingers.

So if anyone has seen something that may fit the bill, please post it up so I can investigate it further.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Time to turn my money into a blue diamond engagement rin

You probably won't have much luck walking into a jewelry store and finding a blue lab-grown diamond, but there will be plenty of mined diamond rings to get a feel for what you like and dislike.

For the center, there is some variety available in non-rounds in .6-.7ct. Non-rounds are generally split between brilliant-cut (princess, radiant, cushion) and step-cut (asscher, emerald). Are you leaning toward step-cut? Do you have any preference on shade of blue or clarity?

For the ring, should the accent diamonds also be blue? Can those be round (like the first link you posted)?

With that budget, you could probably do a .6-.7ct center with a platinum ring and accent diamonds down the shank, or a halo with a plain shank, but maybe not both, depending on how much the center costs. You could also do a three-stone ring with diamonds or sapphires as the sides.

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

EEFranklin|1380915016|3532301 said:
You probably won't have much luck walking into a jewelry store and finding a blue lab-grown diamond, but there will be plenty of mined diamond rings to get a feel for what you like and dislike.

That has been the strategy I have been using. Of course it didn't take me long to work out that what I like and dislike is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things :)

For the center, there is some variety available in non-rounds in .6-.7ct. Non-rounds are generally split between brilliant-cut (princess, radiant, cushion) and step-cut (asscher, emerald). Are you leaning toward step-cut? Do you have any preference on shade of blue or clarity?

I am leaning towards a cushion cut if I go far a halo ring because it's a rounder shape and I think the halo would have a better outline. I think a step-cut would look better in a ring that has no halo or a 3 stone ring. As to shade of blue, I think something in the darker range around the intense or vivid blue. Clarity will depend on the cut and shade. I think I would want a higher clarity in a step-cut, but as long as it was eye clean I think we could live with a lower clarity in a darker shade.

For the ring, should the accent diamonds also be blue? Can those be round (like the first link you posted)?

Round white accent diamonds would show off the main diamond better I think. I might have to play with photoshop to see what different colour combinations look like before I fully commit to that though.

With that budget, you could probably do a .6-.7ct center with a platinum ring and accent diamonds down the shank, or a halo with a plain shank, but maybe not both, depending on how much the center costs. You could also do a three-stone ring with diamonds or sapphires as the sides.

I was thinking about it in bed this morning, if I went with a halo with a thin plain shank, then had the wedding band accented with diamonds, sort of like this: http://d.neadiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/DB18 it might look good as a set. I'm also looking at rings that have a more vintage look to them like the art deco ones, but I just haven't found a style that I like.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Kudos on choosing a blue diamond! No one else will have anything like it. Which is a plus. I'm sure she'll love it.

If you're looking for opinions, I like your idea of a blue diamond ring with a thin halo and a plain shank paired with a diamond band. I had a similar set myself and I think it worked well.

I agree that you should go for fancy intense or fancy vivid. Paler than that and they tend to look white.

Good luck!

PS. You can't go wrong working with Eric!

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I am leaning towards a cushion cut if I go far a halo ring because it's a rounder shape and I think the halo would have a better outline. I think a step-cut would look better in a ring that has no halo or a 3 stone ring.
Halos work with cut-corner shapes too, though a cushion's halo will certainly have a more smooth, rounded look to it.

It sounds like you might have already, but I would recommend seeing a cushion and asscher/emerald together in person. Most people tend to have a somewhat strong preference on step vs. brilliant cut. You may be able to discreetly enlist the help of a friend or family member to find out if you aren't sure, though you did say she picked out an emerald before.

Round white accent diamonds would show off the main diamond better I think. I might have to play with photoshop to see what different colour combinations look like before I fully commit to that though.
White accents next to a blue center does give more contrast to the blue than if you had blue sides too. Photoshop can be a challenge accurately representing fancy colored diamonds. Let me know if you want to see specific color combinations. We have many photos and renderings comparing colors side-by-side.

I was thinking about it in bed this morning, if I went with a halo with a thin plain shank, then had the wedding band accented with diamonds, sort of like this: http://d.neadiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/DB18 it might look good as a set.
Something like our DR21 sounds similar to what you are describing. That raised halo allows the matching band to sit flush against the ring. The halo would be customized to the exact shape of the center stone.

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

Well new that Christmas and the new year are over I'm ready to narrow down what I'm going to buy. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer as the Australian dollar is slowly declining and I'll have to spend more of my motorbike fund :(sad

So I (we) have narrowed it down to a cushion cut blue (fancy intense or fancy vivid) in a thin halo setting like the D.NEA DR20 or an even thinner one like this one

br67711300_main.jpg

but with a plain band that tapers in at the top with a bit of a knife edge like the band shown here

r1322_stamp_1.jpg

EEFranklin|1381157579|3533548 said:
Something like our DR21 sounds similar to what you are describing. That raised halo allows the matching band to sit flush against the ring. The halo would be customized to the exact shape of the center stone.

If the band on the DR21 was tapered and had a knife edge with the halo setting from the DR20 adapted to a cushion cut diamond it would be perfect I think. I do like the simple risers underneath, we looked at a halo setting the other day and it had more diamonds and lattice work underneath the halo than on the rest of the ring...

I hadn't thought about the halo needing to be high enough to clear the wedding band, lucky you mentioned it. I saw a halo setting that was sitting almost in line with the band and I kinda liked it from a practicality point of view (wouldn't snag on things, etc.) but the shop girl didn't mention a wedding band wouldn't fit under it.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

I suspect she didn't mention it because they sell fancy curved bands that fit with halos. The trouble is, then you can't wear the band without the engagement ring! So that's not so practical.

I really like that my halo with a band underneath with no problems.

Did you already source the centre stone? I imagine cushion cut diamonds are pretty rare.

And D.NEA does custom work, so I'm sure they can create your perfect ring.

Good luck!

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

periwinklegirl|1389147911|3588611 said:
I suspect she didn't mention it because they sell fancy curved bands that fit with halos

You are probably right. Although she wasn't really that forthcoming with information once she worked out I was just looking. Customer service is a bit of a dying art where I live.

Did you already source the centre stone? I imagine cushion cut diamonds are pretty rare.

Eric and I are in discussions via email at the moment and he has sent me some pictures and video of 2 cushion cut blues that look great.

And D.NEA does custom work, so I'm sure they can create your perfect ring.

MY perfect ring would be a platinum dragon spitting out coloured diamond flames :bigsmile: Fortunately Lauren has better tastes.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll need it :) I got yelled at last night for coming to bed too late. I just had to grin and bear it as I couldn't tell her I was up late looking at rings and diamonds for her.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Sounds like you are a true prince!

Eric will take good care of you.

There are several other fcd flame lovers around here! I'm all for mixing colours of diamonds myself.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose.

Did Eric send you a video link yet? They are very cool!

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

periwinklegirl|1389245556|3589351 said:
Sounds like you are a true prince!

I try my hardest :) Now I have to think of a princely proposal, which of course has it's own rules and regulations handed down to me.

Eric will take good care of you.

I've been pleased with the process so far. I wish I could say the same about the local stores I have visited, but I'll save that for another thread :)

Did Eric send you a video link yet? They are very cool!

I'll be sure to post up a few photos of it on her finger when the time comes :) I agree the video was very cool and was helpful in choosing between the two diamonds Eric had that fit my requirements.

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

periwinklegirl|1389245556|3589351 said:

As promised

ring01_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love love love.

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

Niel|1391621118|3608432 said:
Love love love.

Thanks, it came out perfect.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Very pretty and so unique!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

doc dogg|1391671378|3609089 said:
Niel|1391621118|3608432 said:
Love love love.

Thanks, it came out perfect.

It is perfect! :love: And I know she will love it. Well done. :appl:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! Stunning! She'll love it!

doc dogg

Rough_Rock

periwinklegirl|1391750865|3609813 said:
Wow! Stunning! She'll love it!
She did

doc dogg|1391405047|3606825 said:
I was planning to wait a few days after UPS dropped off the ring, but everything was set so I did it about 2 hours ago :D

Originally I was going to wait until I had a dog and then put a bow tie on him and train him to hold a banner in his mouth. Unfortunately we bought a cat, so I had to improvise :) I laminated the proposal and tied it to his collar with the ring sticky taped to it. I threw a bit of paper across the room so he chased it and ended up in front of Lauren. When she picked him up to pat him she noticed the little sign and the ring. She saw me smiling and said "Of course".

Here is a photo
prop06.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Very cute! What a nice story and congratulations to both of you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results