shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity check on two MMDs and 2nd question related to setting

jdjdjd

Rough_Rock
Hi - first post here!

I'm in the process of finding an e-ring (surprise, she doesn't know). Man-made diamonds appeal to me for many reasons and I feel most comfortable going that route. D.NEA seem highly praised, and I've poked around Gemesis' offerings and those on the Brilliant Earth website (the man-made section).

First question:

I found this one from N.DEA and this one from Gemesis. Both are very good polish/symmetry, D.NEA is 0.88ct/G/VVS1, Gemesis is 0.63ct/H/VVS2. Is there much practical difference between these other than the size difference? The Gemesis one is obviously significantly cheaper, but I am trying to decide if the other option is worthwhile and welcome any advice!

Second question:

Neither D.NEA nor Gemesis sell the type of setting that I'm after. I would like it to be rose gold, which seems less commonly available and D.NEA doesn't have any at all. These two examples (while very different from each other) both appeal to me.
Example 1
Example 2

In the case of the first example, I am tempted to take it as is, but the diamond is "O-P", obviously non-man-made, and they won't swap it for one I provide.

So, are there any recommended online jewelers that make settings along these lines that would take a diamond that I provide?

Many thanks in advance!

-Joe

MillerAnn

Rough_Rock
Trade
Re: Sanity check on two MMDs and 2nd question related to set

Hi Joe,

The rings you are looking at are lovely!

As far as the stones go, if both are graded by the same person then generally one color grade difference will not be too big of a deal. Occasionally, different people will grade stones and they seem wayyyyyy more than one color grade off. Ayything I color and above is generally not too yellow to most people. Also, I would not worry about clarity grading- especially at the VVS range. Anything SI1 and up you are almost guaranteed not see with the naked eye, so whether the stone is a VS2 or VVS1, you may not realize without a loupe. I know alot of people who would rather have a high color stone- F-D, and sacrifice a little on clarity, maybe SI1-2, just because eveyone can see color- but more often than not, you have to use magnification to see inclusions.

Third, check out this website: http://gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER10499W4JJJ They have tons of styles!

Many private jewelers carry Gabriel, and most jewelers will set stones you bring into them. I know of several places within just a few hours of where I live that carry Gabriel. They will also cast any style in rose, white, yellow, or platinum.

Hopefully this helped and didn't just confuse you more. Congratulations!!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Joe,
Excellent choice in going with a lab-grown diamond - beautiful, guilt-free and a high coolness factor!

Have you tried taking the stats of the two stones and putting them into the Holloway Cut Advisor? That will help you determine which is better cut.

Also, ditto on what MillerAnn said. Clarity above SI really isn't necessary, nor is colour above H. I have an SI3 stone and even I can't see the inclusion from closer than six inches (and I'm a diamond-obsessed PSer!).

What do you think of this one?

http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/WB167

Also, you ask Eric to make a video of the two stones so you can see how they perform. Their videos are great!

Good luck!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, and, just fire Eric at D.NEA an email and ask him if they'll make you a setting in rose gold (include pictures). They will make custom settings, so I'd be surprised if they won't help you. If you buy both the stone and the setting from them, you get a discount. Plus they have that fabulous trade-in policy, so you can always buy smaller now and upgrade in the future (if that's a consideration).

Also, sorry if you already know this, but rose gold doesn't look nearly as pink in person. Have you gone to a bricks and mortar store to look at any? Do you know if she specifically likes that?

White gold is typically the safer choice.

PS. I really liked the second setting - the willow one. Brilliant Earth is pretty pricey though - they seem to think selling ethical jewelry is an excuse to mark it all up. We looked into something with them, but DNEA was a much better deal, so that's where my ring came from!

jdjdjd

Rough_Rock

Thanks to both of you for your quick and helpful responses.

Periwinkle - wow, that diamond you look seems like a great option (HCA 1.5, vs 2.3 for the Gemesis, and 3.0 for the larger D.NEA). She wears a lot of yellow gold and copper and generally avoids silver-colored jewelry, so rose gold seemed like a good option. For the smaller D.NEA, is "good" polish and "very good" symmetry a concern vs excellent/ideal?

Thanks again!

-Joe

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

First of all, I am fairly certain that Brilliant Earth gets their man-made diamonds from Gemesis, so you should be able to work with them.

Any jeweler will have access to far more settings that you will see on the website, so talk to the vendors before you give up on the setting/stone combo that you like.

The Gemesis is deep-ish and the D.NEA stone is shallow-ish. It's kind of hard to tell which you would like better without seeing them in person. Going for a stone under 2.0 on the HCA will guarantee you a particular look, but it may or may not be what pleases you most.

As these stones are not graded by GIA I would assume that they are yellower than GIA G/H, which is at least something to be aware of. The more brilliant cut stones (i.e. not so shallow or deep) will show less color. The good news is that these are all reputable dealers who should be able to give you accurate info on what you are looking at.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

jdjdjd|1373133626|3478148 said:

Periwinkle - wow, that diamond you look seems like a great option (HCA 1.5, vs 2.3 for the Gemesis, and 3.0 for the larger D.NEA). She wears a lot of yellow gold and copper and generally avoids silver-colored jewelry, so rose gold seemed like a good option. For the smaller D.NEA, is "good" polish and "very good" symmetry a concern vs excellent/ideal?

Thanks again!

-Joe

I think that good polish and very good symmetry are both fine. I don't know if you're aware, but D.NEA will send you the stone to see if you like it before you buy. You could email Eric with a price range and some general ideas of what yu want (ie. at least SI and at least H colour) and then see what he suggests.

Glad you liked the stone!

Good luck!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

jdjdjd|1373133626|3478148 said:

Thanks again!

-Joe

Definitely worth asking D.NEA for a picture of the actual stone. And as I mentioned, they'd probably be willing to make you a video of it too.

Good luck!

jdjdjd

Rough_Rock

Excellent advice again. Eric has let me know that they're happy to make rings in both 18kt and 14kt rose gold, and also sent me a photo and a video of the WB167 diamond!

It looks good to me, but being far from an expert, would anyone be so kind to also take a look at the video and see if there's anything concerning? It's an SI2.

http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/WB167.mov
http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/WB167.wmv

Thanks!

Joe

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

I think it looks great. It's a good deal, and gives you a decent size, cut and colour, without breaking the bank. And you'll likely only see the inclusions with a loupe.

Have you asked Eric if it's eye clean, in his opinion? Just to make sure.

Good luck!

jdjdjd

Rough_Rock

Eric verified that it was eye clean - I'm good to go!

Thanks again for your help.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

My pleasure! Good luck!

We'd all love to see pics of it once it's on her hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results