shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good price for a "Lab-Grown" Diamond Ring?

tommo020788

Rough_Rock
Hi there,
I recently impulsively bid on an item I saw on ebay.
It had a few mins left, and was priced at £9.98 GBP (I wasn't sure what the conversion rate would be to AUD).
After I bought the item, I found that the price converted to $15.55 AUD.

The ring is apparently 5 layer coated White gold, with a 1.0CT "Australian Lab Diamond" in it.
As reference, the item is listed here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261040522481&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

The seller has contacted me, and offered a refund in case I misunderstood the fact that it is a "lab-grown" diamond. (they don't specify that it is "lab-grown" in the item listing title.

Could someone please tell me if this is even a worth while buy?
or should I take the refund, and keep my money?

How much would you value this item at?
And is there a chart that specifies the value of lab-grown diamonds per carat?

Thanks in advance
Tom

JamesChemist

Rough_Rock
I would look into this purchase a little more. A 1 ct white man-made diamond should cost around the same (or a little more) than a 1 ct mined diamond because it is very difficult with current technology to grow a colorless diamond. Feel free to look at D.NEA and Gemesis websites to get a feeling for how much a 1 ct diamond colorless diamond should cost. As far as I know there is no price chart for man made diamonds.

I strongly suspect that the "diamond" that is listed is not really a diamond but a diamond simulant (i.e. something so simulate a diamond but not a diamond). Most likely it is CZ or something similar. I recommend that you ask the dealer specifically if it is a diamond or a diamond simulant like CZ.

Just my 2 cents.

tommo020788

Rough_Rock
@

JamesChemist said:
I would look into this purchase a little more. A 1 ct white man-made diamond should cost around the same (or a little more) than a 1 ct mined diamond because it is very difficult with current technology to grow a colorless diamond. Feel free to look at D.NEA and Gemesis websites to get a feeling for how much a 1 ct diamond colorless diamond should cost. As far as I know there is no price chart for man made diamonds.

I strongly suspect that the "diamond" that is listed is not really a diamond but a diamond simulant (i.e. something so simulate a diamond but not a diamond). Most likely it is CZ or something similar. I recommend that you ask the dealer specifically if it is a diamond or a diamond simulant like CZ.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I had the same feeling, as I haven't ever seen a man made diamond ring that cheap before either...
I'm not particularly worried about that happening though.
If it is fake, I will get the evidence from the jewelery store, dispute it through paypal, get my money back, and
I won't be required to return the item if it is fake, and the seller has purposely deceived me.

(if its fake, its classed as "I didn't receive my item" in the paypal dispute, and if you never received the item you paid for, you aren't required to send the item you received, back.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results