shape
carat
color
clarity

Do lab-grown diamonds ever have fuorescence?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I know some mined diamonds have fluorescence. Do lab-grown diamonds ever have this?
Or phosphorescence?

Just curious!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
OK, having a doh! moment here.

Someone posted on another thread that they returned a orangy yellow diamond from Gemesis because of the strong greenish yellow fluorescence. It made the stone look greenish.

So let me rephrase my question. How likely is it to have fluorescence in a lab-grown diamond?

Is it more common in orange diamonds?

Is this something that can be controlled in the process?

And maybe available upon request to very patient customers? :))

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
It seems to be something that can be controlled (somewhat) but you can see the level of fluorescence listed for each diamond on the DNEA site. It seems quite rare in the white/blue diamonds but slightly more common in the coloreds.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Some as-grown diamonds have medium or strong fluorescence, but very few. A quick check shows only about 1% of our as-grown diamonds with fluorescence greater than "faint". It is more common in orange-yellow than it is in blue or white, due to different alloys in the "recipe". It isn't controllable on a per-stone basis though, so aside from treating the diamond, it can't really be added on request.

When diamonds are treated, that process usually adds fluorescence. Pink, red, purple and green diamonds are made through irradiation and annealing. Orange-yellow diamonds can sometimes be HPHT treated (separate process from HPHT growth), which removes some of the orange, but usually adds strong green fluorescence.

Phosphorescence isn't usually checked or reported by grading labs, but it is more common than fluorescence.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
EEFranklin|1363832169|3410044 said:
When diamonds are treated, that process usually adds fluorescence. Pink, red, purple and green diamonds are made through irradiation and annealing.
Phosphorescence isn't usually checked or reported by grading labs, but it is more common than fluorescence.

Now that is exciting!! I just thought to check the details on my red diamond, and sure enough, it's got strong fluoresence!!

Yay! Can't wait to test it in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results