shape
carat
color
clarity

Contemplating (colored!) MMD + colorless 3-stone e-ring

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
Ok, Eric is going to send us pictures once he gets the batch of coloreds back from grading. In the meantime, we went on a setting-shopping foray and found three we both liked (I preferred 1, 2, 3 in order while he preferred 3, 1/2).

1) http://www.genesisdiamonds.net/jeff-cooper-r3100-engagement-ring.html
2) http://www.simongjewelry.com/product/Fabled_Collection_Style_MR1394/15188/EN
3) http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/eliza-sholdt-14k-white-gold-5838w14

We prefer the size of a ~0.4-0.6 karat center stone (0.75+ seemed pretty big for me) and if we went with #1 or #2, I'd almost certainly not get a separate wedding band because they're pretty splashy on their own. A slight downside to all of these options is that the metal wouldn't be recycled and hence more environmentally-friendly as with DNEA's settings.

#1: Unfortunately my favorite, #1, is the most expensive by $1k (a lot!! and it'd make the setting more expensive than the stone!). I wouldn't mind getting smaller side stones in the same style as #1 if such a setting were available. However I've looked at BGD, b2cjewels, ERD, GOG, JA, ID Jewelry, and WF and haven't found something suitably similar -- we both liked the look of the baguette + princess cut without a bar or bezel between the side stones and most similar settings seem to involve bars or bezels.

#2: My main concern about #2 is that it's a little "delicate" looking because of the thin strands (I'm afraid it might look too "kid-ish" combined with a colored stone). I'd like something similar but just slightly thicker strands. Otherwise we like it a lot and the pave looks kinda awesome with a colored stone.

#3: I like how the prongs don't stick out with this setting, and I like the swoopyness, but I think the gap made by the prongs around the stone can look slightly... odd (make the stone look almost almond-shaped).

Edit: I just quickly hacked together a Photoshop job to help visualize what a colored stone might look like in these settings.

settings.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I love #2!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi forestbrook,
All beautiful choices!

Would you still like the Jeff Cooper one with a round centre stone? Or are you considering a different shaped stone?
It sounds like you like the look of step cut side stones. Is that what you like most about this ring?

For a less blingy look, I like the Sholdt. I don't think the gap will make the stone look almond shaped, it will just look like it's in lovely brackets. Also, I think it doesn't sit up as high and so won't catch on things as much.

If you're still considering that red round, I think it would stunning in the Sholdt setting!

I agree that the Simon G is delicate looking and I'd be a bit worried about banging up the delicate pave.

Don't know if that helps.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I've had another thought. You could also contact Eric, show him the Jeff Cooper design and ask what D.NEA would charge to make you a custom setting in a similar style. Then at least you'd have two prices to work with, and the environmentally friendly metal option.
With the added bonus that D.NEA'd give you a discount on your centre stone if you buy the setting from them.

i assume you've looked through the PS pre-loved forum, DB and Loupetroop and didn't find anything you wanted?

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
periwinklegirl said:
I've had another thought. You could also contact Eric, show him the Jeff Cooper design and ask what D.NEA would charge to make you a custom setting in a similar style. Then at least you'd have two prices to work with, and the environmentally friendly metal option.
With the added bonus that D.NEA'd give you a discount on your centre stone if you buy the setting from them.

i assume you've looked through the PS pre-loved forum, DB and Loupetroop and didn't find anything you wanted?

Would you still like the Jeff Cooper one with a round centre stone? Or are you considering a different shaped stone?
It sounds like you like the look of step cut side stones. Is that what you like most about this ring?

Yes! The main appeal of the Jeff Cooper setting is the step cut side stones (and resulting contrast with the brilliant cut center). For the center stone, I'm not too picky other than most of the brilliant cuts -- round, cushion, radiant, or princess -- assuming we go for a colored stone, it'll depend more on color than cut.

I will be contacting Eric. I looked through DB, LT, and the first few pages of PS pre-loved and didn't see anything, though there weren't as many setting choices as full rings :) I am continuing to keep an eye out, though!

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
Heh, just found #1 on eBay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/321082952431?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Current bid $1,795.00, buy it now for $2099 (I believe the store we went to quoted platinum as being $3500 new). It'd need resizing though (it appears I'd wear a size 5 or possibly 5.25 ring and this is a 6.25) and we would get a smaller center stone than the current head (1 carat) holds. Not sure how big a problem that would be and whether it'd be annoying to find a jeweler to clean and set the ring.

I don't know anything about this but the head size might be a problem? It's sized for a 1ct stone and we'll be going for 0.4-0.6ish.

My bf thinks that #1 looks best with a colorless center stone and #2 and #3 look more stunning with colored. (I actually think #2 and #3 look BETTER with colored than colorless while #1 just kinda looks different but not better.)

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
My bf thinks that #1 looks best with a colorless center stone and #2 and #3 look more stunning with colored. (I actually think #2 and #3 look BETTER with colored than colorless while #1 just kinda looks different but not better.)

Last night I also found another option (#4) that's sorta a blend between #2 and #3 (looks less delicate and slightly less blingy than #2 has the swoopyness of #3).

#4: http://www.weddingdaydiamonds.com/store/jewelry/engagement-rings/14k-white-gold-carved-bypass-engagement-ring.html

settings_0.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
#4! I like the newest one! ::)

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1362518398|3397211 said:

Me too! Having some white diamonds will really set off your coloured one!

Are you set on platinum?

PS. Wish I had your photoshop skills!

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
periwinklegirl|1362548056|3397700 said:
pandabee|1362518398|3397211 said:

Me too! Having some white diamonds will really set off your coloured one!

Are you set on platinum?

PS. Wish I had your photoshop skills!

Nope not set on platinum, I'd be happy with palladium too.

For the Photoshop job, I used Pixelmator (cheaper, works beautifully on Macs, just as good for simple editing).
1) Take the ring image, use the lasso tool to outline the diamond.
2) create a new layer and select the new layer while leaving the lasso selection active
3) use the paint bucket/fill tool to fill the lasso selection with the color you want
4) change the layer's Blending setting to Overlay

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Palladium is a more budget-friendly choice. Plus it's apparently less likely to turn grey the way platinum does.

Thanks for tips! I use Gimp. I will try what you suggested!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i really really love that step cut one! with a square radiant type stone i think it would be just stunning.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1362551810|3397738 said:
Palladium is a more budget-friendly choice. Plus it's apparently less likely to turn grey the way platinum does.

Thanks for tips! I use Gimp. I will try what you suggested!

I use gimp too, its pretty easy, thats how i get such lovely (crappy because im too lazy to get strait lines) photoshops
r5401_4f8f479fccc88.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
Cool thanks for the links. I will see if there are new ideas from there.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi forestbrook,
I see the lovely red diamond has been snapped up from the D.NEA site! Hope that means it's coming your way!

Any updates for us?

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
periwinklegirl|1363327968|3405411 said:
Hi forestbrook,
I see the lovely red diamond has been snapped up from the D.NEA site! Hope that means it's coming your way!

Any updates for us?

Alas no! The lovely red diamond had been sent to a jeweler as we were deciding; originally the jeweler was going to return it so that we could get a chance to look at it, but apparently he/she decided to keep it after all, so that's a no go. :(

Eric sent us some additional photos of the February batch (the pictures aren't on the website currently) and he's going to make videos of those and the radiant (I love the radiant color on the website photo but in person/in other lighting, it might be too dark) next week. I hope one of them turns out to be right for us, because we really did like the red; it was also a bit less expensive than some of the others we are considering, which would have been nice. :razz: I am leaning towards the ruby-raspberry-purple and less to the light pink/magenta side of things.

One of the diamonds from the Feb batch is super interesting. We're uncertain about using it as an e-ring diamond, but if we had more money, we'd get it for a necklace/pendant! It's PB23 (there's no photo online) and according to Eric, some parts of it are intense violet and others are "pale purplish pink." He sent me a photo and I liked how unique and unusual it was, but I'm not sure I should repost the photo.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I'm sorry. That's too bad.

I too was really tempted by the red diamond (if you didn't want it, I was considering trading in my berry red one for it), but I'm keeping to my resolution to set everything I have before I buy any new stones (or upgrade)!

Red diamonds go so fast!

I know what you mean about the radiant - I think it will be just be too dark to appreciate. Although of course I hope not for your sake.

PB23 sounds good! I have a pair of purplish pink studs that I love!

I looked at another purple, but Eric sent me a video and it had colour zoning and the parts that weren't purple (or pink either), just looked sort of blotchy. But the purple/pink combo sounds cool.

I like the purple one near the upper left corner of the D.NEA pic I posted earlier. Does it look like that?

Eric did mention that a bunch of this batch came out magenta rather than pink or red!

Good luck!!

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
PB23 has color zoning, so we might be talking about the same stone. It's pretty funny, Eric has sent multiple pictures of it to me. The first one I was like ewww, but then he sent another picture, just in different lighting and I think it could be unusual and interesting.

Here's the pic Eric sent (PB23 has some nice colors in the white background). He says that the brown is just from colors overlapping each other but the stone itself doesn't look brown.
pb29-pb33-pb34-pb35-pb23.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh! Cool pic.

I think the one I'm talking about is PB16.

Here's link to a video of it that Eric made. It gives you an idea what the colour zoning looks like in person. Eric did say that the video is a bit dark.

http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/PB16t.mov

But I'm not sure what I'd do with such a small stone at the moment and I have so many unset fcds already! :))

_4470.jpg

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
Hehe, maybe you can buy PB23 instead (0.53).

Eric just sent a video and I think it looks pretty neat, the color zoning makes it seem like there are rays of lighter color radiating out of the center of the stone. It's the 5th from left to right.

We are considering these (we've been focusing mainly on the fancy colored diamonds but we thought we might as well consider a blue too)
http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/Pinks-fluor.mov
http://d.neadiamonds.com/videos/Pinks-sun.mov

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Don't worry, I wouldn't even consider poaching on anything you're considering!

Thanks so much for sharing the videos. They're beautiful! And they really do justice to these gorgeous fcds. Photos just can't capture how beautiful these are in person!

I really admire how well the cut of the diamonds show on the fancy orangy pink and the blue - that eightstar just keeps flashing!!

How saturated is that blue? Looks like a fancy blue.

Good luck! I hope one of these works for you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh my gosh that blue! :love: :love: :love: :love:
Im also loving that red thats third from the left. those look honestly really beautiful. I want a blue one for my own, now :twisted:

ETA oh my goodness i cant stop watching those videos, you have to tell what color blue that is, im in awe of how much i love that :-o

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
nielseel, according to Eric, the blue is "BB477 .57 VS1 Fancy blue (nearly fancy light blue)". You're welcome to it (we didn't pick that diamond specifically). It is really quite lovely.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
nielseel|1363406073|3406110 said:
oh my gosh that blue! :love: :love: :love: :love:
Im also loving that red thats third from the left. those look honestly really beautiful. I want a blue one for my own, now :twisted:

ETA oh my goodness i cant stop watching those videos, you have to tell what color blue that is, im in awe of how much i love that :-o

I was the same. That pink and that blue!!! Serious fcd eye candy!!!

Makes me want to take all mine out in the sun to play and make a video!

Of course, those are all bigger than a 1/2 carat, and only one of mine is.

Still mine are very pretty in the sun too!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
forestbrook|1363407548|3406118 said:
nielseel, according to Eric, the blue is "BB477 .57 VS1 Fancy blue (nearly fancy light blue)". You're welcome to it (we didn't pick that diamond specifically). It is really quite lovely.

Oh i wont snatch up your diamonds your looking at. I think that one is really stunning, if decide to go the blue route. those are all round, what setting would you have with it?

forestbrook

Rough_Rock
If we go blue, we'd go with a stone with deeper blue color (more intense or vivid blue), so you can have it :)

For setting, we are thinking #4 but in palladium, channel set instead of pave, emerald cut/straight baguette side stones. Ideally we'd like to use lab created or "pre-loved" for the side stones, but I think that might be a tall order (hard to get everything we want all at once!!).

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
forestbrook|1363454886|3406387 said:
For setting, we are thinking #4 but in palladium, channel set instead of pave, emerald cut/straight baguette side stones. Ideally we'd like to use lab created or "pre-loved" for the side stones, but I think that might be a tall order (hard to get everything we want all at once!!).

Sounds beautiful!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
any updates??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results