shape
carat
color
clarity

Are synthetic diamonds "negotiable?"

Student23

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm thinking about a synthetic colored (probably blue) diamond for my girlfriend's engagement ring. I've spoken to her about it and she likes the idea. I'm guessing a few people here have experience with this :)

My question is, are the prices of synthetic stones listed online by companies like D.NEA or DiamondsCultured.com generally negotiable? Or are the prices "set in stone?"

Thanks!

angelcityjewelers

Rough_Rock
Trade
Everything is negotiable, how much do u want to spend? I would go with real diamond, there easier to sell than synthetic diamond, and u can sell them for better price.

Student23

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately natural colored diamonds are out of my reach. I'm not really concerned with how much I could resell it for, this is a purchase for us rather than an investment... I don't see us ever selling the stone out of her engagement ring.

I may end up going with a natural white diamond, but I really want to explore our options with the synthetic blues first... It's something really unique and beautiful. :bigsmile:

So, if one of the people here who has owned one of these stones could tell me a little about your experience, I'd really appreciate it. I've seen some lovely stones & rings on this forum, and the thread on colors was really helpful! I'm still looking for information about the actual purchasing process... It's a bit confusing for someone who's never bought a diamond before. :confused:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,
Allow me to congratulate your good taste in wanting a synthetic blue diamond for your girlfriend! I'm sure she will love it. Having something different (and not a mined or white diamond) was definitely one of the factors for my partner and I.

In answer to your question, I would say, no. The prices are not negotiable.

However, D.NEA, at least, has a really terrific trade-in policy. So if your budget is limited, you could choose a smaller stone (or possibly one with a lower clarity) now, and then upgrade in five years or so. My suggestion would be to give Eric at D.NEA a call, explain what your budget is and see what he can do for you. They may well have more stones available than are listed on the website. I have always found him terrific to deal with (and I'm a repeat customer).

It's my understanding that synthetic blues are priced at a level comparable to mined whites.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

PS. Oh, and I don't think DiamondsCultured is still in business. If you find out otherwise, please let us know.

JamesChemist

Rough_Rock
@Student23 I just recently purchased a Fancy Intense Blue Radiant diamond for my girlfriend (now fiancee) from DNEA and we are both ecstatic with the ring. Blue diamonds are very beautiful, and an interesting discussion point. I personally found that Eric (from DNEA) was a pleasure to work with who was very attentive to my many questions and emails (probably close to 80) and is why we are getting our wedding bands from there as well.

To answer your question, since there is not a lot of competition in the Lab Grown Diamond market there is not in much of the way for negotiation. I found that their Blues were on par what you would find for a well cut colorless diamond. I also found that the diamonds for DNEA (at least their radiants, since that was what I mostly looked at) are very well cut and better cut than the places I saw online selling colorless diamonds for cheaper.

So in summary, there is not a lot of wiggle room as far as the diamond goes, but DNEA has great customer service and will do custom designed rings as well. I would recommend using the pricescope tools, talk to people, sending DNEA an email about the diamond in question. Oh! If there is not a picture for the diamond you like online, send them an email and they will take pictures (or movies) of it for you. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

JamesChemist

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It never hurts to ask. The worst they can say is no. It looks to me like nice looking stones don't stick around very long and they're selling them basically as fast as they can make them so I would be a little surprised if they'll flex very much but you may be able to score something like 'free' shipping or a cash payment discount.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Shipping and insurance was included in every purchase I have so far made from D.NEA. As well as fabulous customer service!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results