carat
color
clarity

are lab grown gems still a no no?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the rules say
"Discussions related to any diamond simulants, Cubic Zirconia (CZ), Moissanite, or anyother man-made gemstones are not allowed on this board."

though now there is this forum for MMD. I dont want to be breaking any rules, but i was just wondering if now MMGems was allowed, or still no?

Just want to know so i dont make any incorrect posts. Thanks for your undestanding :wavey:

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Discussions about lab-grown diamonds are allowed in this forum, but no other lab-grown gems. Note that cubic zirconia and moissanite are not lab-grown diamonds, but rather simulants, and are thus are not allowed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEFranklin|1359573368|3367518 said:
Discussions about lab-grown diamonds are allowed in this forum, but no other lab-grown gems. Note that cubic zirconia and moissanite are not lab-grown diamonds, but rather simulants, and are thus are not allowed.

I know full well those are not lab grown diamonds. but the rule clearly says "no lab grown gemstones". which i would assume includes diamonds, so it seems to me that it was made before this forum allowed that.

I have seen a lot of old stones on here that have rubies or sapphires in them that i would bet are lab created, being that that was very common for the time. Also, i know precision cutters will cut lab rough, so on a cut-centric site, i would assume that might be alright to share. Especially sense some of the things on here probably have lab rubies or sapphires anyways.

Its an informative site, i just was wondering if cultured gems were exepted as what they are, not simulants; and if that rule maybe was created before the mmd was excepted.

Im not looking to misrepresent anything, just to share my little joys with this great community

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm pretty sure that rule was written before the MMD forum was created. There are others that have been around longer than me that could probably tell you why discussion about synthetic gems is limited. I suspect it had to do with the signal to noise ratio, with people posting about simulants, thinking they were synthetic gems. Even today, there is a lot of confusion between the two.

Lab-grown diamonds have been given explicit permission within this particular forum. You should probably talk with the admins about other gemstones though.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEFranklin|1359658539|3368709 said:
I'm pretty sure that rule was written before the MMD forum was created. There are others that have been around longer than me that could probably tell you why discussion about synthetic gems is limited. I suspect it had to do with the signal to noise ratio, with people posting about simulants, thinking they were synthetic gems. Even today, there is a lot of confusion between the two.

Lab-grown diamonds have been given explicit permission within this particular forum. You should probably talk with the admins about other gemstones though.

yeah, i totally get why you wouldnt want a discussion of synthetics or things pretending to be diamonds.... i would love to contact the admins, im not sure how :confused:

thanks for your post!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nielseel, I think you just use "report concern" to contact the admins.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
EEFranklin is correct, man made diamonds can be discussed in this section only. For now we do not allow discussions of simulants or synthetics at all.

meredeth11

Shiny_Rock
I have the same doubts as nielseel mentioned. From my point of view, to talk about synthetic gemstones can indeed make the discussion on gems more widely, there are much new information on improved techniques on those gems and the developing trend of the gem industry etc., If there is a special section for talking about those gems, it would be not that confused fro those who still have interests in synthetic gems. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results