shape
carat
color
clarity

Beta Diamond Videos Made in a Prototype Light Box

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl stuff

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool..., sounds like you guys are working
21.gif
when do we get to see the light environment options? Any new (old) types?

"Round + Cushion movies. Round and cushion diamonds are moved together in one film"

I would want to see much more movement when comparing both cuts...
Its true that rounds are ok with slight movements to enjoy their face-up appearance/display..., but I believe Fancy Cuts (especially nicely cut Cushions) need a more extreme movements as they (fancy cuts) possess the element of "shape" which is a property which needs to be visualized in more directions/positions rather than just face-up...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi DG,
The movements will be programable and we are trying to replicate typical viewing and decison processes.

My preference from observing many people in buying scenarios is viewing from 30-40cm (12-14 inches) rocking about 15 degrees away and 10 degrees toward, with about 5-10 degrees of rocking side to side.

The movements will be programable by operators so what ever range withing mechanical limits will be available. Look at the movie interface in DiamCalc to get an idea.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any new lighting environments options/ideas?

An area I think is open to further explorations...

Please dont say typical....;-)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would like to see peer review done on the lighting environment to get many opinions on it to make sure it is going to represent what people will see in the real world.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2009 12:12:34 PM
Author: strmrdr
I would like to see peer review done on the lighting environment to get many opinions on it to make sure it is going to represent what people will see in the real world.

re: "Peer review"

How is it possible in diamond industry ?
7.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 12:21:12 PM
Author: Serg
Date: 9/4/2009 12:12:34 PM

re: ''Peer review''

How is it possible in diamond industry ?
7.gif
trade group meetings.
Have Garry take it to JCK.
When another cut conference is held show it there and ask for feedback.
Rent a booth at the mall for a day is another option but an expensive one.

Make it available in DC then they can scan a diamond and compare the images to the diamond in the real world.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In looking at the video of the round and cushion, the cushion has a table reflection which is never duplicated by the round. It is just the placement of the lighting or the angle of the stones, etc, but such a difference would be substantial to measuring light return in this environment. Any plans on how to make the comparisons totally equal?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2009 1:48:58 PM
Author: oldminer
In looking at the video of the round and cushion, the cushion has a table reflection which is never duplicated by the round. It is just the placement of the lighting or the angle of the stones, etc, but such a difference would be substantial to measuring light return in this environment. Any plans on how to make the comparisons totally equal?

Hi Dave,

there are two main reasons :
1) angle between tables for two diamonds
2) shift between two diamonds( in any case table reflections will catch different zones in space)

possible solutions to reduce difference:
a) Special holders to synchronize angle between tables
b) take photos for one diamond in one time ( in central position only), then virtually combine movies. But in such case consumer can not easy compare diamonds in shops

I prefer to increase number of light sources , in such case error from one reflections is much less

did you see

this movie
?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sergey;

I like the suggested movie a great deal. Now that is a good way to compare two competing diamonds or to see if two diamonds for a pair of earrings really matches well both in cut and performance.

I await the eventual announcement that the diamonds for the cut study have been assembled and can be viewed.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2009 2:15:27 PM
Author: oldminer
Sergey;

I like the suggested movie a great deal. Now that is a good way to compare two competing diamonds or to see if two diamonds for a pair of earrings really matches well both in cut and performance.

I await the eventual announcement that the diamonds for the cut study have been assembled and can be viewed.
Dave have you seen the group comparisons?
http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/MSS_9_diamonds_Daylight.phtml for example?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I like the last two movies. I can really see the differences among the stones. Can you tell me how the movies were made?

Thx.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/4/2009 7:47:13 PM
Author: risingsun
I like the last two movies. I can really see the differences among the stones. Can you tell me how the movies were made?

Thx.
Hi Marian,
Trying to put an image here - but it has a bug - will ask Admin for help.

A desk top light box with flouro tubes with or without led''s was used and a step motor rocking system that will eventually be computer controlled.
The computer will also control the camera also - which is currently a still canon camera - forgot the model #, but it is a high end SLR type digital.

Storm we will publish all the relevant specs to make this a peer level review.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2009 8:50:01 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Kewl
You know you how I feel about lighting specs not being released when someone is claiming a light box relates to the real world.
Since this is going to be part of Next Diamond it also needs to be in DC so a designer can work with it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/8/2009 2:09:39 AM

Kewl
You know you how I feel about lighting specs not being released when someone is claiming a light box relates to the real world.
Since this is going to be part of Next Diamond it also needs to be in DC so a designer can work with it.
It will be in DiamCalc and the same rocking motions will also be programmed into both.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2009 4:21:51 AM

Kewl

It will be in DiamCalc and the same rocking motions will also be programmed into both.
kewl
I am looking forward to playing with it.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/8/2009 4:38:59 AM
Date: 9/8/2009 4:21:51 AM

Kewl

kewl

I am looking forward to playing with it.

you need wait this game 1 year roughly. We have now only second prototype only. We did not even implement all main ideas yet. System is open for suggestions

Garry will publish some photos of prototype a soon( to show current light and sizes )
We use fix light now, in final system we will use changeable light schemas ( as "punched card")

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/8/2009 4:54:17 AM

you need wait this game 1 year roughly. We have now only second prototype only. We did not even implement all main ideas yet. System is open for suggestions

Garry will publish some photos of prototype a soon( to show current light and sizes )
We use fix light now, in final system we will use changeable light schemas ( as ''punched card'')
This collage shows the key components.
There are mirrors fitted in the back and side walls.

collage of light box.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is going to be too expensive for the average jeweler to impliment. We can not even get them to buy simple tools such as the ASET.

I predict you will have GREAT problems getting industry acceptance.

Wink

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/9/2009 10:54:49 PM
Author: Wink
It is going to be too expensive for the average jeweler to impliment. We can not even get them to buy simple tools such as the ASET.

I predict you will have GREAT problems getting industry acceptance.

Wink

Wink,

re:It is going to be too expensive for the average jeweler to impliment. We can not even get them to buy simple tools such as the ASET.

Great pointS.
1) What are main reasonS what average Jeweler has not money?
2) What is main reason why average Jeweler does not like to buy simple tools such as the ASET?( I do not think what cost of ASET is main reason)

re:I predict you will have GREAT problems getting industry acceptance.

Yes, Average Jeweler is very conservative person, but I hope The crisis( specially second wave) will help a lot and we do not need work with Average Jeweler.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/10/2009 2:12:55 AM

Wink,

re:It is going to be too expensive for the average jeweler to impliment. We can not even get them to buy simple tools such as the ASET.

Great pointS.

1) What are main reasonS what average Jeweler has not money?

2) What is main reason why average Jeweler does not like to buy simple tools such as the ASET?( I do not think what cost of ASET is main reason)

re:I predict you will have GREAT problems getting industry acceptance.

Yes, Average Jeweler is very conservative person, but I hope The crisis( specially second wave) will help a lot and we do not need work with Average Jeweler.
Most jewelers have been surprisingly slow to adopt ASET or any other technical sort of selling tool.

I agree, it’s not the price of the ASET or even the learning curve to use it but there are several downsides to the retailer for including this kind of technology in their sales presentation. Here’s a few reasons that come to mind:

1) It requires more training of the staff. Most jewelers are shamefully bad at this anyway and many, perhaps most, have no interest in selling on the technical merits of the stones anyway. Trained gemologists actually have a hard time getting hired at a traditional jewelry store on the sales floor for exactly this reason. They want the staff to be selling what they have, not some hypothetical pitch for what they can get.

2) It makes it difficult to ‘romance’ the stone. The majority of shoppers aren’t very technically driven and don’t want their shopping experience to contain a lesson in optical physics. This is another matter of staff training and getting a feel for what the customer wants but it's easy to go down the path of too much information and have the customer walks away with their head spinning instead of buying a diamond and walking away with a smile on their face (and the jeweler with one on theirs)

3) If they’re going to be selling goods that do well under the ASET, they need to carry that sort of inventory. This is significantly more difficult to buy and nearly impossible to memo. The cost of goods goes up and the required amount of inventory goes up.

4) A technical based sales presentation is MUCH slower than the more traditional approach. This means more sales people are required to help the same number of customers and higher costs for the jeweler for putting on the presentation.

5) ASET in particular, and technical sales in general have a strong connection with Internet shopping. Most jewelers find it difficult to compete with the discount Internet dealers on price and encouraging shoppers that the merits of a stone can be assessed, even in part, by an image rather than actually inspecting the stone is going toe to toe in a fight that they feel they’re likely to lose. It’s interesting that ASET is a technology that came out of the American Gem Society, a network of retail jewelry stores, but it’s not the AGS retailers who are making the best use of it, it's their competiton.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Neil,
I agree with all reasons what you mentioned

I want say similar from other point of view:

1) ASET is very specific language for communication, what is unknown and unclear for most professional and consumers. And even special trainings, documentations can not change it . Even current “old fashion” diamond sell language is far a way from consumer buying language . (VS1, VS2, SI clarity, D color( D is best), and now ASET.) Fruitful and confidence communication between sales person and consumer is not possible now. ASET are doing it even more difficult
2) Most people can not understand difference between selection and rejection . rejections sales tools are not common in other markets , at least its are not main instruments to sell goods . ASET is strongly rejection tool.
3) Who decide use ASET as main sales instruments, should completely change business model, communication language and forget about fancy cuts( or use contradictive sales model for RBC and Fancy cuts)

I think industry needs selections tools which do not destroy current sales technologies, but improves its.

Evolution in sales technologies could be much more helpful for diamond industries than revolutions as ASET

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 2:06:48 AM
Neil,

1) ASET is very specific language for communication, what is unknown and unclear for most professional and consumers. And even special trainings, documentations can not change it . Even current “old fashion” diamond sell language is far a way from consumer buying language . (VS1, VS2, SI clarity, D color( D is best), and now ASET.) Fruitful and confidence communication between sales person and consumer is not possible now. ASET are doing it even more difficult
2) Most people can not understand difference between selection and rejection . rejections sales tools are not common in other markets , at least its are not main instruments to sell goods . ASET is strongly rejection tool.
3) Who decide use ASET as main sales instruments, should completely change business model, communication language and forget about fancy cuts( or use contradictive sales model for RBC and Fancy cuts)

I think industry needs selections tools which do not destroy current sales technologies, but improves its.

Evolution in sales technologies could be much more helpful for diamond industries than revolutions as ASET
Serg,

1) You would get better adoption of this machine from PS vendors especially the major ones here and other online vendors this will help them.(If they can agree on the uniform conditions for comparison).
2) I don''t see retailers ever wanting to use this device nor using an ASET because they just want to sell what they have in stock not provide a comparison so the consumer can get the best stone in its class.
3) I see this being used for the online PS type of shopper who wants the very best in optics and wants a comprehensive comparison tool to show different stones. The customers that Jon at GOG serves with his videos come to mind.
4) I think the key to making this work is a low pricepoint and most important " "A SIMPLE DIRECT PORT TO A COMPUTER for VIDEO UPLOAD" with no video editing required.

I think the major hurdle to even getting the other PS vendors to use video is the time consuming nature and high technical barrier to getting the files online or even getting them on a computer in any edited form.

Good-luck in the endeavour I think its a great attempt at doing something the consumers would love to have, perhaps even appraisor''s would make use of this tool I hope it gets simplified enough to be adopted.

Regards,
CCL

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/21/2009 12:58:07 PM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover

Neil,

Serg,

1) You would get better adoption of this machine from PS vendors especially the major ones here and other online vendors this will help them.(If they can agree on the uniform conditions for comparison).

2) I don''t see retailers ever wanting to use this device nor using an ASET because they just want to sell what they have in stock not provide a comparison so the consumer can get the best stone in its class.

3) I see this being used for the online PS type of shopper who wants the very best in optics and wants a comprehensive comparison tool to show different stones. The customers that Jon at GOG serves with his videos come to mind.

4) I think the key to making this work is a low pricepoint and most important '' ''A SIMPLE DIRECT PORT TO A COMPUTER for VIDEO UPLOAD'' with no video editing required.

I think the major hurdle to even getting the other PS vendors to use video is the time consuming nature and high technical barrier to getting the files online or even getting them on a computer in any edited form.

Good-luck in the endeavour I think its a great attempt at doing something the consumers would love to have, perhaps even appraisor''s would make use of this tool I hope it gets simplified enough to be adopted.

Regards,

CCL

re: I don''t see retailers ever wanting to use this device nor using an ASET because they just want to sell what they have in stock not provide a comparison so the consumer can get the best stone in its class.

Of course. If we are speaking about best FANCY cut diamonds, retailers CAN NOT sell it because they Can not BUY its again and again!

for example somebody found nice Cushion , took comparison photos ( movies) and finally sold THIS nice Cushion with good margin.
How could he buy more such nice Cushions?
Even if he has 3D model, he usually has not information who had cut it. Even if he knows cutter, cutter usually can not repeat it with good accuracy( if we speak about complex cushion cuts( not about modified RBC for better yield))
So he can not buy again same nice cushion cut , and he can not do more good business with other Cushions( because he published movies with nice Cushion and new consumers do not like buy worse Cushions)

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2009 9:49:18 AM

Neil,

Serg,

4) I think the key to making this work is a low pricepoint and most important '' ''A SIMPLE DIRECT PORT TO A COMPUTER for VIDEO UPLOAD'' with no video editing required.

Regards,

CCL

re: I don''t see retailers ever wanting to use this device nor using an ASET because they just want to sell what they have in stock not provide a comparison so the consumer can get the best stone in its class.

Of course. If we are speaking about best FANCY cut diamonds, retailers CAN NOT sell it because they Can not BUY its again and again!

for example somebody found nice Cushion , took comparison photos ( movies) and finally sold THIS nice Cushion with good margin.
Even if he has 3D model, he usually has not information who had cut it. Even if he knows cutter, cutter usually can not repeat it with good accuracy( if we speak about complex cushion cuts( not about modified RBC for better yield))
So he can not buy again same nice cushion cut , and he can not do more good business with other Cushions( because he published movies with nice Cushion and new consumers do not like buy worse Cushions)
Well I disagree with not being able to repeat the same cut in fancy shapes.

GOG has been able to provide a signature line of OMC cushions with good uniformity and reproduceability in optics.
A cutter out in Antwerp produces a series of 8 main thin cushion brilliants with cookie cutter similarity and optics which bluenile offers most of them on their website search.
BGD is completing a line of modern cushions with very similar optics.
The square cushion hearts and arrows is a signature line cut in Japan of cushions with very repeatable optics.

Optimizing cuts in fancy shapes is the future I am happy to say
36.gif
and you can be proud that your software will help enocourage more of this. I wouldn''t be surprised if Storm''s Asscher became a signature line at GOG in the future as well
26.gif

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2009 7:41:49 PM
Date: 9/23/2009 9:49:18 AM

Neil,

Serg,

Regards,

CCL

Well I disagree with not being able to repeat the same cut in fancy shapes.

GOG has been able to provide a signature line of OMC cushions with good uniformity and reproduceability in optics.

A cutter out in Antwerp produces a series of 8 main thin cushion brilliants with cookie cutter similarity and optics which bluenile offers most of them on their website search.

The square cushion hearts and arrows is a signature line cut in Japan of cushions with very repeatable optics.

Optimizing cuts in fancy shapes is the future I am happy to say
36.gif
and you can be proud that your software will help enocourage more of this. I wouldn''t be surprised if Storm''s Asscher became a signature line at GOG in the future as well
26.gif

re:OG has been able to provide a signature line of OMC cushions with good uniformity and reproduceability in optics.

The square cushion hearts and arrows is a signature line cut in Japan of cushions with very repeatable optics

1) Could Please publish any proof for good repeatability COMPLEX cushion cuts? ( please do not consider Cushion cuts what is just modify RBC ( as square cushion H&A)
2) I checked GOG, unfortunately I did not find 3D models for OMC cushions, but EVEN ASET is different

first problem is repeatability girdle shape . You need compare 3D models to check identity at least girdle shapes.
If girdle shapes are different , angles could nor be same. COmplex Cushion cuts are very sensitive to angle deviation , even 0.5 degree deviation could change optical appearance dramatically

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/27/2009 3:35:36 AM

1) Could Please publish any proof for good repeatability COMPLEX cushion cuts? ( please do not consider Cushion cuts what is just modify RBC ( as square cushion H&A)
2) I checked GOG, unfortunately I did not find 3D models for OMC cushions, but EVEN ASET is different

first problem is repeatability girdle shape . You need compare 3D models to check identity at least girdle shapes.
If girdle shapes are different , angles could nor be same. COmplex Cushion cuts are very sensitive to angle deviation , even 0.5 degree deviation could change optical appearance dramatically
Here is an example of a stone that was cut as close as possible by a competent cutter.
Clearly the result is way off.

In the case of stones based on round 8 facet structure with minor facets that are tied to the mains - and the stone is round (or straight sided) the holding tools are easily calibrated to get good results.
That is not how it is with cushions.

Sergey showed me something in antwerp a few months ago that will totally blow away current faceting equipment and require completely new approaches to faceting. (Naturally Sergey is working on the solution)

cushion faceting problems.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results