shape
carat
color
clarity

which setting is the strongest?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ashya

Rough_Rock
Im looking for a wedding band that can with stand the test of time, here are the rings I am looking at. Which ones would hold up the longest, ie. not bend, or even break?

DWB267-L.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they platinum or white gold?????

Ashya

Rough_Rock
I need help please, because I have to purchase a wedding band before SEptember, and It will need to be a size 5. Any information would be appreciated!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Just checking posts today and thought I''d lend my opinion...from all that I have read here on PS, platinum is the way to go for long term and endurance, but since it scratches easier than white gold--I have read, not experienced--maybe a brushed platinum if there is any surface that would normally be smooth. Just a thought...hope this helps...
emsmile.gif

Ashya

Rough_Rock
WEll out of all the bands, im looking to see which one has the more solid setting. They are all white gold, and these are the only ones i have liked so far.
Thanks,
Joanna

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CAn you inspect them in person? If so, look for the one that looks most solid and has good workmanship.

All of them are fairly close so I cannot tell any meaninful difference from the pictures.

Concerning the alloy. 14 carat white gold in general is stronger (tougher) than platinum. However, there are a variety of different alloys. The strongest platinum alloy is much stronger than the weakest white gold alloy. The strongest white gold is much stronger than the weakest platinum.

Thus, unless you know the specifics of the alloy (there are about a half dozen common platinum alloys and over a dozen white gold alloys) - its anyones guess as to which will really last longer.

Think of it this way, and as an example: 90% platinum.... and what, or what combinations of what are the other 10% (it really makes a difference in actual metal properties).

Perry

Ashya

Rough_Rock
No I cannot see them upclose. It is from a website. I would like to know if the band will not break over time, or if the diamonds can easily fall out in the long run. Is it a poor choice for a wedding band or not?
Thank you

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
They are all the same. The millgraine won't last. It is a risk at best.

A lot depends on what you are wearing it with and how much wear you put on your jewellery, because it will wear fast. (Other then that, they all loog good - sorry) - if you don't do physical work, you won't have any problems.

All of these are from the same manufacturer, same setter, same photographer. Are they for sale, or sold?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Platinumsmits says it well for me - these are about the same and not the most enduring kind of ring. Definitely not the kind of wedding band one could wear 24/7.

A narrow (3mm or so) plain gold band would loose as much as half it''s weight during permanent wear for a couple of decades - if you want to go that far wearing it. The bit comes from a couple of examples. Now, if you want this as a fancy band to wear in and out for a year or two until an upgrade, it will hold on nicely except the millgrain, as said before.

Hope this helps...

GemView

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ashya,

As it happens, I''m also looking for a vintage style wedding band in 14K white gold so I understand your dilemma. In my case, we chose a non-orthodox solution: not to own or wear just one set of rings on a daily basis. A couple of reasons went into that decision: As a young child, I vividly remember my mother losing her entire wedding set in a Sears while I sat helplessly in my stroller. It was never recovered even though she immediately realized that the rings had fallen off. She was utterly heartbroken, mostly due to the sentimental value of the wedding set. She later replaced her bridal set with a wedding band, but that wore out within a decade. Ditto with my grandmother''s rings, which also wore out during the course of her marriage. In short, the more we thought about it, having a second set to grow attached to over the years didn''t seem like such a strange idea. It not only cuts the rings wear and tear in half, but if one ring is lost not ALL is lost. Additionally, since I am a jewelry nut, I couldn''t decide between modern and vintage, let alone white gold or yellow gold, because I appreciate both styles/colors equally. Having two sets spared us from the necessity to choose one over the other. Plus, I now have the option to match the accessories I already own. Last but not least, the white gold vintage e-ring I chose is the first ring I took a liking to after we first began to e-ring shop. Because it is the first ring we seriously considered, it already has some sentimental value going into it early on—even though the diamond is only half the size of the primary set of rings we decided upon later (see the pic I attached).

As far as your selections, I especially like the first one. The bezel settings will hold more securely than prong set over the long term. If it gives you any peace-of-mind, I met a local jeweler last week who manufactures and restores jewelry. If he can take 30-100-year-old jewelry with paper thin or even broken shanks and restore them to wearable jewelry, than I would inquire locally to see if the same can be done in your area if and when your wedding band wears out. In the meantime, just go for what you like best and take close-up pictures of it so that it can be restored or remade later, if necessary.

Please post a pic when you decide what to go with! Good luck!
9.gif

gemview_2005.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of the first three, I love the first and third bands. They all seem like they would wear out equally...not much difference between them. Actually, though platinum is durable, white gold is really hard and is great for people that beat the crap out of their rings...if my DH''s ring were platinum, it''d be in shreds right now. As it is, his wg band is beaten to holy hell and it''s only been 2 years.
20.gif
I think any of the first three would be reasonable as long as you don''t plan to beat on them regularly. If you just want something you can forget is there, never worry about at all...you might want to go with another style. Those antique bands are meant to look delicate, and they are, compared to a lot of other styles. They''re not flimsy by any means, but they are meant to be and look more delicate than others.

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
Ashya,

Millgraine on the outside adge will always wear. Some W/G alloys can be very strong, but I am doubting that you have the choice. Foreign manufacturers usually use the cheapest alloys as they produce in bulk and every cent counts. Saying that, hard w/g alloys are not too expensive (=nickel). Palladium alloy w/g alloys are often also very strong depending on the other alloys used. They polish better and actually some of them are just rock hard. The hardest alloys are not used in millgraine as the job takes three times as long. If you want it to last, you might have to go to a jeweller who can offer you the choice, but be warned, too many jewellers staff sales people that will tell you almost anything! You have to get to the source.

One ring might last you 1 year another 10. Old w/g rings have platinum in the alloy as well and that (amongst other things), is why they are still around today.

Platinum will last a lot longer then the white gold that is offered in such a fashion. Harder white alloys will win out, (if it is a question over alloys).

The second version is definately the strongest as it will last longer through wear based on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results