shape
carat
color
clarity

Where to Buy Diamond Stud Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi. I''d like to get some diamond stud earrings for my 19 year old daughter. I don''t want to get fabulous expensive stones because I don''t know if she''d loose these or what. She never takes off her current CZ studs becasue she has a metal allergy and finds that changing the earrings just causes irritation. I guess I should consider platinum.

Has anyone bought studs that are not too pricey but still nicely cut stones? Facets?

And do you like the screw on backs for safety reasons? or the snap kind?

Swingirl

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people here buy the ready-set-go diamond studs from WhiteFlash and have been extremely pleased. That's what I would do if buying a smaller, less expensive pair. The platinum will really add to the cost, unfortunately. Those cannot be upgraded, though. You'd have to buy individual stones for them to qualify to be upgraded.

The overwhelming majority of posts here favor the regular friction backs rather than the screw-on type.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I will vote for la pousette backs. I have screw on backs on a pair of earrings and really dislike them. I don''t have a pair with the heavy friction backs but like the la pousette because they seem very secure to me.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Swingirl do you have a budget in mind? When you look at WF there isn't an outrageous jump in price for gold vs platinum settings for earrings that are .5tcw.
Oh I liked the heavy friction back. I opted for the handmade martini setting in platinum because gold would make my ears itchy and weepy.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
at this time of year a lot of pawn shop owners will take their unsold round smaller 1/4 and 1/3 carat stones, clean em up real nice, match them up and make earrings out of them for x-mas presents. the one by my house has a whole array of diamond earrings for 150-200 per pair.

not whiteflash quality but certainly good enough for a college student!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, who would have thought..the pawn shops. What an interesting idea! I like it! I''m not cheap and I''d love a pair of WF''s for myself but for a college student I don''t want to be too disappointed when one diamond earring flows down the shower drain. My budget could be around $500 tops.

What are la pousette backings? Any pictures? and who sells them?

It seems like most people get annoyed with the screw-ons.

Thanks everyone for your input.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
That is really interesting about the pawn shops! I''ve never actually been to one. LadyKemma, you''ve got me convinced I''ve gotta start checking them out!

Swingirl- Diamond studs are going to be a great gift for your daughter! I love mine. My mom gave them to me when I got married, don''t know where she got them. They''re not great quality at all, uncerted I1s probably, but they get the job done! I like to check them out through the loupe too... their inclusions make them really interesting!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/19/2006 9:17:41 AM
Author: ladykemma
at this time of year a lot of pawn shop owners will take their unsold round smaller 1/4 and 1/3 carat stones, clean em up real nice, match them up and make earrings out of them for x-mas presents. the one by my house has a whole array of diamond earrings for 150-200 per pair.

not whiteflash quality but certainly good enough for a college student!
You just have FAB pawn shops near you. I''ve checked out the ones near me and they don''t have very good items or prices. I did see a nice 3 stone trellis set ring BUT I priced it the same as WF. So I''d rather buy online and get the quality.

I was going in every week at my local pawn shop. So consider yourself a very good shopper and lucky too.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swingirl -- What a thoughtful gift idea. Check out the pawnshops near you and see if they are good. Otherwise I''d try online.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2006 1:27:19 PM
Author:swingirl
Has anyone bought studs that are not too pricey but still nicely cut stones? Facets?
I have now bought two pairs of less expensive studs from www.diamondsbylauren.com and have been really really pleased.

David works with an 80+year-old friend/supplier/cutter he calls "Sam" whose specialty seems to be ferreting nicely cut, well performing stones out of big parcels and putting together pairs. They are often SI-2s or even I-1s (uncertified), but eye-clean, sparkly, and very well priced.

I think they make perfect "starter studs" for a young woman. I highly recommend them!

Here''re pics of a pair of "Sam''s Specials"...(60ctw, G, SI-2/I-1) I got for my switchable dangles, and I think they look great:

widget

PS: I just noticed this is a slightly older thread...did you find something? And I hope you didn''t get screw-backs...they''re awful!

Uni8frgs.jpg

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
Widget,

Can you tell me about your "switchable dangles"? Are they like earring jackets. They are really pretty!

xzjn9p

Rough_Rock
We''ve been looking for an inexpensive everyday set of 1/2 cttw studs as well. I ended up ordering these for $341 and if they come in close to spec it should be a good deal.

http://www.netaya.com/302010203050.html

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
wow! $341, that is a great deal. i don''t think you can go wrong with it! 0.5ctw G-H SI2-I1, not bad for a few hundred bucks. good find!

i think i might save that link for next year for my sis''s 18th bday.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 2:18:36 PM
Author: widget.
Here''re pics of a pair of ''Sam''s Specials''...(60ctw, G, SI-2/I-1) I got for my switchable dangles, and I think they look great:

Those are so GREAT, Widget! Somehow I missed when you got them?? YUMSIES!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had also missed the thread about your method of attaching colored stones to studs, Widget! I am glad you posted the link to it here; I went back to it and read all about it. It reminds me of what I did with my diamond solitaire ring: having two jackets made that could be worn with it if I wanted it to have a less simple look.

What bothers me is that the emeralds could not be worn alone as studs now. I agree that with the diamond studs-as drops-they are utterly smashing, however!!! I already envied you your colection of gemstones: the real rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. Now I envy you your graceful, classic way of putting your stones into elegant jewelry as well!

I have no right to pout! I have far more than my share of the world''s wealth! I hope you enjoy your beautiful jewelry and wear it in good health.

Deb
34.gif

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results