shape
carat
color
clarity

What would a PRICESCOPER do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bethanying

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so my e-ring is 18k white gold. I wanted white gold because it is harder than platinum and I like the "whiteness" of it instead of the "grayer" appearance of platinum. I think I''m changing my mind.

I received the e-ring in September 2004. I had to have it re-dipped in rhodium in December because it was yellowing on the underside. I thought it was because I had it sized and they didn''t re-finish it well- no big deal.

So by mid-January it was noticably yellow.
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
I was upset, but have been so busy with a new job and wedding plans that I didn''t do anything about it until last week. My FI took it to the jeweler and asked them to re-dip it again, this time make sure they did it "real good"
41.gif

They told him that all 18k or higher white gold would show yellow that quickly no matter how much you dipped it. They then told him they would double dip it and see if that helped- and it takes 2 days between dipping to dry.

Question #1: Is that true about 18k white gold never holding the white finish for more than a month or so? or am I getting the run-around?

Question #2: If you were me, would you get the whole darn thing reset in platinum? (Keep in mind the white gold wedding ring has already been purchased and we would have to reset it, too.)

Thanks yall.

Bethany
19.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
how terribly frustrating!
29.gif

i''m sure you''ve read through the past threads about wg and plating. i don''t know what it is exactly that makes these rings turn yellow. i can say that i have 14k wg pieces that have never turned yellow, even with daily wear. my sister on the other hand, has a wg ring that yellowed immediately. i don''t know if her''s is 14k or 18k however, but i will find out. my basic theory is that the yellowing is either due to the differences in the combination of the alloys and/or individual skin chemistry.
as for your dilemma, you certainly don''t want to have to worry about redipping all the time. i wish there were a definitive answer as to what makes wg turn yellow, that would make your decision a bit easier. i guess you will have to decide whether or not you are willing to keep trying with the wg. after that, i think your only option, if you want the ''silver'' look, is to go platinum and not worry about it.
my rambling probably didn''t prove very useful, but i hope you are able to find a reasonable solution! best of luck. let us know what you decide.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2005 10:58:13 AM
Author: Feydakin

18k White gold is 75% 'yellow' gold mixed with a white alloy.. Yes, it will yellow.. There are some new alloys out there that help limit the issue, but I haven't worked with any of them yet
Is that "gray gold" ? The WG jewelry I see becomes grayish, not yellowish... so some jewelers call the metal "gray gold" instead of white to set expectations right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results