shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do with 12 princess cut diamonds (.10 carat each)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
I have 12 princess cut diamonds that are .10 carats each. They are from a ring semi mount nightmare from over 5 years ago. This semi mount is just butchered and unwearable, I don''t think it is possible to butcher a piece of jewelry worse than this one
7.gif

Anyway, I''ve been too embarrassed to admit to anyone that I even own it.... it''s been sitting in my jewelery box for years. Every time I thought about it I got just sick.

So now I think I''m ready to deal with it. I was thinking about setting the diamonds into an eternity ring, or 3/4 eternity ring. I wear a size 4.5, would (12) .10 be enough to cover my finger 3/4 or all the way around? Fotunately the diamonds are nice, white, and sparkly even if the setting is junk.

Or does anyone have any other ideas? I''m really not into the invisible settings at all so the ring is the only thing I can think of doing with them.

thanks!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definately the 3/4 eternity band! You could also put the diamonds with another stone if you wanted a full eternity or just to mix it up a bit. This is the closest to your size and number of stones I can find. It''s 12 stones, 1.22 carats total weight, channel set: signed pieces band.

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2008 6:23:45 AM
Author: Addy
Definitely the 3/4 eternity band! You could also put the diamonds with another stone if you wanted a full eternity or just to mix it up a bit. This is the closest to your size and number of stones I can find. It's 12 stones, 1.22 carats total weight, channel set: signed pieces band.

thank you! That's very pretty :) I could live with owning something like that lol!
I think I'll wait a couple days to contact a vendor to see if anyone has any other ideas. I just can't think of anything else other than a ring if I'm avoiding the invisible set thing. But just in case, I'll wait. They'd be way too chunky for a halo....

Ok, for therapy reasons, here are some pictures of the ring. These are just a few that show the horrible craftsmanship, asymmetry, & uneven bumps and sharp edges.
7.gif
I ordered it online & they wouldn't call me back or email me back so I was stuck with it. I paid with MO so I was up a creek and out $900!

brin.jpg

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
I will leave it at that. Now I just have to get past my embarrassment to take it to a jeweler to get the diamonds out lol!

bring4.jpg

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about a bracelet? I had a old mounting that had about 15 p/c stones, I was going to have a bracelet made like the necklace, diamonds by the yard. I had even thought I would include some rounds from another mounting. Have the diamond in a bezel mounting and do alter p/s then rounds. Just a idea if you dont really want to use them in another ring.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I think 12 stones would be perfect for a 3/4 eternity and if you wanted a full, you could source several more .10 princess cuts!

I''m in the midst of a simiilar process and many vendors won''t make an eternity for stones they didn''t source themselves (I reached out to many of the PS vendors), so it might take a little time to find a vendor who will. I had the best luck with a local B&M.

But whatever you do, don''t take it to the jeweler who butchered that setting! :)

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 12:09:04 PM
Author: cwj
Have you thought about a bracelet? I had a old mounting that had about 15 p/c stones, I was going to have a bracelet made like the necklace, diamonds by the yard. I had even thought I would include some rounds from another mounting. Have the diamond in a bezel mounting and do alter p/s then rounds. Just a idea if you dont really want to use them in another ring.

now that is a really good idea! I hadn''t thought of that & I do have too many rings.... I have tiny wrists too, so that will be to my benefit. Thanks for the idea! Did you ever make your bracelet? Do you have pictures?
3.gif

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 12:25:54 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I think 12 stones would be perfect for a 3/4 eternity and if you wanted a full, you could source several more .10 princess cuts!

I''m in the midst of a simiilar process and many vendors won''t make an eternity for stones they didn''t source themselves (I reached out to many of the PS vendors), so it might take a little time to find a vendor who will. I had the best luck with a local B&M.

But whatever you do, don''t take it to the jeweler who butchered that setting! :)

I went to WhiteFLash''s site & saw they prefer to work with their own diamonds or get the diamonds appraised. I''m not going through the trouble of that, so yup, I think I will have to do it locally.

And don''t worry, the "jewelers" who did my setting will not be given anything! How long is it taking to get your ring? Has it been a pretty easy process?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I might do a bracelet as well; setting the diamonds tip to tip beside each other thereby cnacessing up more "space" than if you were to set them side by side as they are now....altho you might not have enought for a tennis style all diamond bracelet, you could have one designed where you have one diamond, one high polished white gold "square" next o it or open link, one diamond, one gold square......

cheers--Sharon

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, I love the idea of a DBTY bracelet or necklace!!

Getting all the quotes was easy, but I haven''t pulled the trigger. The thing is that it''s my wedding band, so I''m really torn about altering it in any way. I decided to get all the quotes and then think about it for a bit--getting all the logistics taken care of was easier than I thought it would be.

cwj

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 12:27:15 PM
Author: purpleshirt

Date: 5/5/2008 12:09:04 PM

now that is a really good idea! I hadn''t thought of that & I do have too many rings.... I have tiny wrists too, so that will be to my benefit. Thanks for the idea! Did you ever make your bracelet? Do you have pictures?
3.gif
Glad u like the idea! I think it will look great. I was going to have them done tip to tip with a round in between. My wrist is only about 6 inchs so I thought 12 or 14 stones would be enough to do one like the necklace diamonds by the yard, only I would have them mounted much closer together.

I didnt have mine done because one of the girls I work with remembered my mounting and wanted to buy it. I sold it to her, I really didnt want to, but I couldnt pass on the money. I only have 6, 12 or 13 pointers (round) left, but I am toying with the idea of buying some more small stones, maybe even smaller than the ones I have and then mount them in between the larger ones. I really love the idea of that bracelet, I think it would be prefect for everyday or dressing up! If you do that please post pictures so I can see how it turns out.

I also think you will have better luch working with a local jeweler.

Good Luck
cwj

cwj

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention that I was going to see about having them set in the full or half bezel. I think that would give them greater presents on the chain.
Just another thought. I hope u get this done!! I really want all the details!! Tell your jeweler that another friend of yours is thinking about having the same thing done. He might be more willing to do the job for two bracelets than one. I would really be interested in having one done if it works out. There might be a greater demand for them if all turns out well. He could have a instance cliental!! I think a lot of P/Sers have old mountings with small diamonds that they would like to use for something!!

purpleshirt

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2008 10:15:47 AM
I forgot to mention that I was going to see about having them set in the full or half bezel. I think that would give them greater presents on the chain.

Just another thought. I hope u get this done!! I really want all the details!! Tell your jeweler that another friend of yours is thinking about having the same thing done. He might be more willing to do the job for two bracelets than one. I would really be interested in having one done if it works out. There might be a greater demand for them if all turns out well. He could have a instance cliental!! I think a lot of P/Sers have old mountings with small diamonds that they would like to use for something!!

I think that is a really good idea about the bezel, it would have greater presence. I LOVE bezels too. You have such good ideas! I''m have another project going....trying to track down a gemstone to replace a ring that I had that set into a bezel necklace, so after I figure out that project, I''m going to start on this one. Or maybe before...I''m getting excited! Tiffany''s uses 11 rounds for a 16 inch necklace, so I think that would work. It doesn''t say how big they are though
7.gif
I''m leaning towards a 16 inch necklace...I''ll have to see what the jeweler thinks

Can I ask--what was the price range from the quotes?
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results