shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Bands: substantial enough to not need an E-ring

ediana

Rough_Rock
I'm scoping out the kind of ring I want before BF and I go shopping, and part of me just wants a nice band - no solitaire or anything. Trouble is: I'm checking out different designers and most of their wedding bands are designed to be worn with an engagement ring, so they're thin and look like something's missing if they're worn alone.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to look for wedding bands that are more substantial, per se? Are there any designers who specialize in this? If I went this route, I wouldn't want it to look like my wedding band was alone because I forgot the big bling that day - I'd want a band that could stand on its own.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!
1.gif

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Are diamonds ok? I recommend posting this over in Show Me The Ring and in Ladies in Waiting.

I saw a ring recently that I think would make the perfect wedding band/engagement ring combo. It was two tone, with a thick brushed white gold band, seamlessly attached to a channel set diamonds set in a thin yellow gold band.

What kind of style are you interested in? I think a nice, hefty band of nearly any style would work perfectly as an engagement/wedding ring combo.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a clue if this is the kind of thing you are looking for, but you did say "any" thoughts. I think my thoughts fall under that category!
3.gif

If I were a woman looking at e-wing/ wedding bands, I would have no trouble wearing one of Cartier''s paved bands. The 1/2 diamonds in platinum and the 1/2 alternating diamonds and rubies band (that they''ve now taken off of their site for some reason) in that order of preference would do the trick.

I''ve been told I can''t wear such a ring because I''m a man! It''s just not fair!
39.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you''d be interested in something like this:

http://www.krikawa.com/jewelry/body-of-work/styles2.aspx?cat=10

Mokume gane is a technique of laminating precious metals for this unique, "swirly" look. And since laminating requires quite thick plates of metal to be joined together (from what I''ve seen) the end result is usually quite substantial and heavy. That would also certainly be a conversation piece, and not just another wedding band.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wear a Cartier Trinity ring as an e-ring and I have no intention of adding a wedding band. Its three rings, each a different type of gold, and they roll over each other so that the rings are crossed over each other on your finger. I believe each band is 4 mm, so the three together make for an impressive looking ring that doesn''t need anything with it.

The ring is also available with scattered diamonds or pave on the bands.

ediana

Rough_Rock
IndyLady - diamonds are fine! I would prefer them set only halfway around (or thereabouts) instead of all the way around with an eternity band. As far as style - hm. I like a lot of Tacori rings, with that intricate detail - but most of their bands don''t have the heft I want - they look too delicate to be worn alone.

Imdanny & chemgirl - Hm, I should check out Cartier a little more carefully. I want to stick with a white metal, so their rings with 3 metals aren''t really calling to me, but now that I''m looking on their website I''m seeing some *really* pretty rings.

ma re - Thanks for the link to krikawa! I''ve never seen this swirly effect before but it''s gorgeous!
1.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
How about a five stone band or a full eternity band? Those are nice and are definitely blingy enough to not need an E-ring.

ETA: look at WF or BGD as they have some beautiful wedding bands showcased.

ediana

Rough_Rock
Wow, there's some gorgeous stuff on the Hidalgo website. I'm not familiar with Hidalgo, how is the quality?

kmcq - that first one is gorgeous! Not sure if it'd look like "too much" on my hand...small hands!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

B-Zero ring by Bulgari.

cheers--Sharon

ediana

Rough_Rock
ma re - I''ve been on the Krikawa website almost daily since you recommended it. I''m really amazed with their stuff. Thanks so much for the recommendation!
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 9:57:22 PM
Author: ediana
ma re - I''ve been on the Krikawa website almost daily since you recommended it. I''m really amazed with their stuff. Thanks so much for the recommendation!
1.gif
You''re welcome, I''m glad to hear that
1.gif
Is it mokume gane pieces that you''re drawn to or something else they make? If you''d like to see a bit more about how mokume gane is made, here''s an interesting article from Ganoskin (although it might be a bit technical for us who are not jewellery profesionals): http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/manufacturing-mokume-gane.htm

ediana

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 4:02:41 AM
Author: ma re
Date: 5/13/2010 9:57:22 PM

Author: ediana

1.gif

You''re welcome, I''m glad to hear that
1.gif
Is it mokume gane pieces that you''re drawn to or something else they make? If you''d like to see a bit more about how mokume gane is made, here''s an interesting article from Ganoskin (although it might be a bit technical for us who are not jewellery profesionals): http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/manufacturing-mokume-gane.htm

My answer to that would be: Yes. All of it! Really amazed at the mokume gane, which I''ve never seen before. Guess I live under a rock or something, or is mokume gane just not that well known?

Although looking at their site, it had never occurred to me that you could get a solitaire ring with a stone other than a diamond. I just love some of these rings with sapphires.
30.gif

Too many options...
33.gif

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love 5 stone rings!!!! (and have one) and think they look best when worn on their own, no band or anything. If I were to just get one ring I''d get a five stone that was 1.25-2.5 ctw (I know that''s a big range:)

or I''d get a full eternity band.

My DH''s ring is mokume gane and it is really gorgeous!

Orchid Lei

Shiny_Rock
I love Christian Bauer bands, but you have to like the sleek European look.

http://www.trauringe.de/?lang=7

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a stand alone ring my favourite by far is a 5-stone ring with diamonds in the 30 - 50 point range! It looks amazing on the hand. My second favourite is a tiffany etoile style ring with or without pave and around a .50ct diamond. Some day, I hope to own both!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have a mokume wedding band, and even at only 3 mm, it''s very substantial. My husband''s is 7mm and the pattern shows up beautifully.

I chose mokume because I love the idea that both rings are cut from the same billet of metal, and so the patterning of your rings echo each other but aren''t exactly the same since each ring is unique. Also, I like the idea of the metals being joined together forever to strengthen each other (this technique was originally used in making swords), but they still remain distinctive as individual metals.

Can you tell I''m a big fan? Haha...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was originally going to have my spess set in mokume gane.........

there was a thread last year...or maybe earlier....in which a poster was seeking such info and she ended up with a gorgeous band with a diamond pattern throughout. it was gorgeious and certainly e-ring/wedding band looking. i loved it and if i didn''t have my spess e-ring already, i''d have gone for something like it.

mz

ediana

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/25/2010 11:28:42 AM
Author: movie zombie
there was a thread last year...or maybe earlier....in which a poster was seeking such info and she ended up with a gorgeous band with a diamond pattern throughout. it was gorgeious and certainly e-ring/wedding band looking. i loved it and if i didn''t have my spess e-ring already, i''d have gone for something like it.
mz

Hm...I''ll have to see if I can find that thread.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
I originally did not have an e-ring, just went with a wider, fancier wedding ring. After the wedding I changed my mind and went with something more traditional....(still not a diamond though), however, I do get the inclination to want just the one ring!

I've seen a few people go with wider, more interesting bands. My mother recently married my stepfather (finally, after 24 years!) and she chose a lovely wide band with diamonds (and some filigree) as her solo ring.

You might also want to peruse Green Lake Jewelery. They have some lovely pieces that can be a bit more substantial and unique, and they can also make one of course!

ETA: Here is the link: Green Lake

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 1:26:32 AM
Author: asbharmal
Removed by Moderator. Spam.

Does this **** website require some sort of password? I wasn't able to access it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results