shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
These pictures are great Bobby! Maybe I just need to get a job as a lady in waiting!

Is there a reason for the matching dresses? A couple of QEII's liw are wearing the same (maybe just similar) white dresses and there are the two wearing the same navy dress with the white criss cross on the sleeves.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1295888664|2831481 said:
Yes I am! Mine aren't real!!!!!

Aww, gee, Maria, and all this time I thought you were cleaning up barf in the genuine article! I'm crushed. :lol:

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1295895036|2831602 said:
These pictures are great Bobby! Maybe I just need to get a job as a lady in waiting!

Is there a reason for the matching dresses? A couple of QEII's liw are wearing the same (maybe just similar) white dresses and there are the two wearing the same navy dress with the white criss cross on the sleeves.

Hi Lady Maria!

For many years now, Queen Elizabeth II has worn white dresses at the opening of Parliament and State Banquets. Her ladies-in-waiting follow their Monarch's choice of attire for these most formal occasons. For black-tie occasions, however, they wear dresses with different colours.
The Swedish court dress (nevy blue with bouffant sleeves) was introduced by the current Queen in honour to the old court dress of dark blue and white, ermine trimmed train and veil (also worn by the royal ladies). You may have noticed that the Swedish royal ladies wear sober black or grey outfits at the opening of Parliament. This was also a complement to the old court dress, which (I think) was abandoned in the early 1970's when the OoP was no longer white tie and there were more changes into The King's role.

Here ypu can read more about the old Swdish dress - http://sko.lsh.se/Skokloster/Redaktionellt/Global/PDF/The Swedish court dress.pdf

And a photo of the royal family in 1958. Here we can see HM Queen Loise, TRH Princesses Sibylla, Margaretha, Birgitta, Desiree in the old court dress

Bobby

1958_s_fam.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting reading on the Swedish court dress. Thanks Bobby!!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Check out this tiara....Emilia d' Erlanger. She is a friend of William and Catherine. Her tiara looks to have aquarmarines in it?

emilia-derlanger-495.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome, Lady Maria! I'm always happy when I can help you.
The tiara from the d' Erlanger - Jardine-Paterson wedding is lovely. The stonse (aquamarines) look quite large. I wonder if it's from her family.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
In reply to Laurensmama and Princejohnny25's questions on the Royal Jewels thread

As far as I know, the Spencer family owns three tiaras - the one Lady Diana wore at her wedding (and many other occasions), a scroll-work tiara rumored to have belonged to Marie-Antoinette and a tiara that looks like two tiaras put together.
I don't know their stories, but have some photos to post.

Of course the best known of all is the so called Spencer tiara:
This is the one that looks like a greek kay and a honeysuckle tiara asembled. It has been modified through the years. It's currently part of an exhibition in the USA. I's lobve to see it worn someday
And fimally the scroll tiara. It was said that it had belonged to the French Queen Marie-Antoinette, but further studies broke the myth. I actually don't think tiaras were worn back then. But who knows, maybe the diamonds came from the famous necklace? It's a pritty tiara, but I've never seen it worn.

Bobby

Spencer.jpg

91310013.jpg

SpencerTiaraMA.JPG

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1296515847|2838624 said:
Of course the best known of all is the so called Spencer tiara:
This is the one that looks like a greek kay and a honeysuckle tiara asembled. It has been modified through the years. It's currently part of an exhibition in the USA (Grand Rapids, Michigan, to be exact). I's lobve to see it worn someday
This tiara would look so much better IMO if it were separated again. I especially think the honeysuckle part could be very pretty

And fimally the scroll tiara. It was said that it had belonged to the French Queen Marie-Antoinette, but further studies broke the myth. I actually don't think tiaras were worn back then. But who knows, maybe the diamonds came from the famous necklace? It's a pritty tiara, but I've never seen it worn.I wonder why it's never been worn. It's prettier than the Greek Key/honeysuckle combo

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree, maria, about the Greek key tiara -- the lower part would make a very pretty tiara.

I'd like that last Spencer one better without the protruding "paisley" thingies. That would look fine with old-time piled-high hairdos but would I think bother me on today's less fancy heads.

Oh, and LOVE the d'Erlanger tiara. What a great-looking couple anyhow. Must have been a lovely wedding.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Actually, Laurie, Maria said that she preffers the honeysuckle part of the current tiara, not the Greek key. And I agree with her. The Greek key tiara would, in my opinon, look great worn as a bandeau across the forehead in the 1920s style.

Anyway, here are some interesting photos of the tiara in different versions
The first one is a side view of the current version:
The old version - you can see that a riviere has been removed and at least five more elements added now:
And two photos of the tiara (o.v.) worn:

Bobby

91309996.jpg

HoneysuckleTiaraAncestralJew.jpg

theotherspencertiara2.jpg

5464ь.JPG

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I think the Greek Key part of the tiara could be very pretty worn more flat on the head like a mix of a tiara & a headband, as some of the Scandinavian princesses do so well. In other words, instead of placing it upright on the head, angling it backward a bit. I've seen other better pictures of what I mean but can't locate them right now.

--- Laurie

DWF15-715025.jpg

I-AB'day.jpg

images.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Laurie, I see what you mean Yes, that may loook nice, but I'm not really taken by that way of wearing a tiara. I do preffer a tiara placed in a more straight way on the head, as it makes the jewel look more substantial.vs.

Bobby

57547450.jpg

roger-moore1a.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I can see your point, Bobby. For me it depends on the tiara's design & the lady's hairdo. My gosh, what a GORGEOUS necklace on Roger Moore's wife! I'll bet James Bond bought that for her!

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know which version of the combo tiara I like better. Then again, I don't really like either.

The key thing (no pun intended) is that the tiaras should be separated. They are such differnet styles it just doesn't work together. If the tiaras were separated, the Greek key part could look okay if it were worn like Princess Lalla Salma of Monaco at her wedding. I like the Princess Royal's Greek key tiara too.

The honeysuckles would look good with the diamond rivere on the bottom. Why not get two tiaras for the price of one? After all, you can never have too many pretty sparkly tiaras!!! :wacko:

lallaslamawedding.jpg

UKroyalAnneGreekKeyTiara.jpg

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bobby for leading me to this forum, I wasn't aware of it at all. Two of the Spencer Tiaras you posted were in the Diana Exhibit:

Diana's Wedding Tiara (and my favorite) was on the mannequin with her wedding gown. you can see it a little on the picture I've attached. It's beautiful! The entire mannequin/gown/Tiara was on positioned as if coming down the steps & inside a large glass display case; Again, very beautiful!

The second Tiara on display was the Honeysuckle/Greek Key Tiara. It's lovely as well but so big! I can't imagine how heavy it is. It appeared to stand about 5-6 inches tall in front.

My scanner is in my office at work (which just moved) and I'm having technical difficulties; probable more me than the scanner! Anyway I will try to get it together to scan more pictures.Wish me luck.

Diana's dress.jpg

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
Here are the Tiara pictures from the Diana exhibit catalog. The Coronet is much, much smaller than the Tiara. I'm not sure why they are shown so disproportionately here.

Spencer coronet and Tiara.jpg

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
Tiara on display with the wedding gown.

Spencer Tiara and wedding gown on display.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for adding the larger photo of the wedding dress. Now the tiarais more visible.

Here's a photo I found today - the 5th Earl's wife, Charlotte, wearing one of the old versions of the Honeysuckle and greek-key tiara and what looks like the diamond collet necklace with the 5 pendants:http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/3268475/Hulton-Archive

*this is a better version of a photo already posted

Bobby

3268475.jpg

littlestinker

Rough_Rock
The tiara looks better in this picture, maybe it just needs alot of hair to balance it out. I think you're right Bobby, that does look like the Spencer necklace

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

I was thinking about something today - Would you mind if we start posting about jewellery from noble and famous collections here, like the Spencers and Elizabeth Taylor, and not only about tiaras?
Is there any way that the name of this thread can be changed?

Bobby

RobertaB

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1292097099|2794367 said:
Princess of Packing...I haven't worn this one in five years now that we are finally settled in a house and DH is done with school and has a job.

Just stumbled upon this. You're a hoot Lady Maria! I enjoy all your tiaras.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night I noticed that for some odd reason I haven't posted a photo of one of my favourite tiaras - that of Elizabeth Taylor, the Queen of Jeweles.
Dame Elizabeth received it from Mike Todd, her third husband, and she often wore it during their marriage.
Here we can see her wearing it in May 1957

Bobby

liz601wh2.jpg

3096794.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1297189558|2846722 said:
Last night I noticed that for some odd reason I haven't posted a photo of one of my favourite tiaras - that of Elizabeth Taylor, the Queen of Jeweles.
Dame Elizabeth received it from Mike Todd, her third husband, and she often wore it during their marriage.
Here we can see her wearing it in May 1957

Bobby

I had never seen this tiara...I really like it!

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
sold for 145 000 sek

14c gold and silver the big stone 4.30 ct

271.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
not sold
24 oriantal pearls 88 diamonds
asked prize ( € 10.000 )

198.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
not sold

asked prize ( € 10.000 )

379.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The birchwood tiara, created by Viscount Linley from a singe piece of birchwood. I believe it was part of the exhibition organised by Geoffrey Munn in 2002.

Bobby

Linley_birchwood_tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine, these tiaras are quite nice. Thanks for posting. The last one I like most.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results