shape
carat
color
clarity

the birth of my newest charm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
a few folks have asked where i get my charms from, so i thought i'd share my newest charm's origins with you :)

i've wanted to do a bezel set diamond charm for quite some time - nothing too big or eye catching; i want it to fit in with my existing charms - not take center stage. at some point i want to upgrade my engagement ring center stone (it's a triple) and had thought to add that stone to my bracelet. but i think it's too much - too expensive and too precious to be added to 'the group'. i'm also pretty happy with it as it is at the moment, so i've been looking for another option.

and today tim said i could have a small diamond i've been looking at on the GOG website for Valentine's day. it's not an ideal cut - it's a traditional cut - and it's a K SI!. but it looks lovely to me and should glow nicely golden when set into a bed of yellow gold.

so here's the link...

as you can see, it's not a H&A or anything like it. but on the other hand, i think it will look classy and beautiful on my bracelet, and it was about the right price for a VD gift

when tim comes to australia for a week with work and to see me over VD week in feb, he'll bring this with him. and i'm planning on taking it to my old jeweler in the Blue Mountains where i used to live and am currently staying, and have it set. it will be a lovely combination for me - a GOG diamond from NY where i now live, set in the Blue Mountains from whence both i and my family came. the jeweler will use gold taken from an old (now snapped and irreparable) bangle that belonged to my mother, given to her by my grandfather/her father when she turned 21. diamonds were my mother's birthstone, and my name starts with K (Kareyn)...

so all up, plenty of meaning for me. a nice blend of my past and present. :)

(PS this is why meaningful charm bracelets take sooooo long to put together!!)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Kareyn, that sounds like an amazing voyage for a charm! You should write out the history of each charm that is on your bracelet. Each one has a provenance and a history that combine to make your bracelet unique. You should document it!

Congratulations on what will be a beautiful, new charm!

Hugs,

Deb/AGBF
34.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Kareyn, I can''t wait to see your charm. What a lovely provenance it will have. That''s exactly what makes charm bracelets so special!

Your new stone looks very nice and I''m looking forward to seeing it in the setting and on your bracelet. Plus, it will be another fun story from your Valentine''s Day with Tim down under!
36.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all the components of the new charm - and these charm bracelets really do have a story to tell!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kareyn, what a perfect diamond for your bracelet. I love how everything has a meaning and is so personal. I can''t wait to see the finished charm!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''ll be beautiful
1.gif

What a lovely way to remember your past and preserve those sentiments
1.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea Whitby, it''s going to be beautiful- and Valentines Day- that''s just perfect

I love when stones are included in the mix of charms on these bracelets.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and lovely story!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
AGBF! you really want to make me work! writing out the history of 40-50 charms sure would keep my busy for a bit... but seriously - what a great idea. :) i''ll give it some thought; it''s really something i wish i had done from day one.

thanks Gayle :) i think this diamond will indeed add just that little something extra to our day. and every time from now on when i look at my bracelet and see that charm, i''m going to remember this trip and exactly where we were standing or sitting when he gave it to me. that will be a wonderful memory. :)

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks - they really do have a story to tell; mine is becoming like my whole life - on my wrist! looking at each charm is like a trip down memory lane - which is why i feel so badly for gardengloves, whose bracelet was lost
7.gif
cant imagine that - it'd break my heart if anything happened to this one.

thanks Michelle :) i can't wait to show it to you too! and i love your new profile photo. i loved your sapphires, but *this* ring is killer! i know it's not a new ring, but i can't remember its origin... can you tell me for which occasion it was bought? (and could you also pls update your who's who thread and let me know how you're going health-wise? i also want to see any home decorating updates! just call me Mrs Nosy Parker...)

and yssie - thanks!
9.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
GardenGloves - i''m with you on liking gems on a charm bracelet. y''know...i actually thought about doing the same thing with a sapphire, but it just wouldn''t have been as special for me. i have the little topaz in there, and i love that look. i''m pleased to be adding a diamond tho!
9.gif

and thank you AprilBaby! it''s not often that you get a big collection of *all* positive memories in the one place; charm bracelets do that for you. a gift - on so many levels.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
1/29/2010 8:15:21 AM
Author: whitby_2773

AGBF! you really want to make me work! writing out the history of 40-50 charms sure would keep my busy for a bit... but seriously - what a great idea. :) i'll give it some thought; it's really something i wish i had done from day one.
Kareyn,

In my fantasy, not only would you write out a history of each charm, but you wouldn't do it on a computer! You would buy a beautiful book and write an entry in your own hand for each charm. The book and the charm bracelet would go together, a famous bracelet that one day might be in a museum ;-). And maybe one day you would write a book about it.

AGBF
34.gif

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 10:29:34 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:

AGBF! you really want to make me work! writing out the history of 40-50 charms sure would keep my busy for a bit... but seriously - what a great idea. :) i''ll give it some thought; it''s really something i wish i had done from day one.

Kareyn,

In my fantasy, not only would you write out a history of each charm, but you wouldn''t do it on a computer! You would buy a beautiful book and write an entry in your own hand for each charm. The book and the charm bracelet would go together, a famous bracelet that one day might be in a museum ;-). And maybe one day you would write a book about it.

AGBF

34.gif

That''s a great idea. It could even be a My Publisher type photo journal bound in a nice cover.

A charm bracelet like this deserves a story book, with the history of each charm, pictures of the people and places associated with the charm, and a photo of the charm. What a keepsake! Even take pictures of the new charm as a work in progress for the photo journal. DH once gave me one of these My Publisher books as a present featuring one of our home renovation projects from start to finish- its a great way to tell a story of something meaningful we did together, look back and remember. I treasure it, keep it on coffee table.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:06:08 PM
Author: gardengloves

Date:

Kareyn,

In my fantasy, not only would you write out a history of each charm, but you wouldn''t do it on a computer! You would buy a beautiful book and write an entry in your own hand for each charm. The book and the charm bracelet would go together, a famous bracelet that one day might be in a museum ;-). And maybe one day you would write a book about it.

AGBF

34.gif

That''s a great idea. It could even be a My Publisher type photo journal bound in a nice cover.

A charm bracelet like this deserves a story book, with the history of each charm, pictures of the people and places associated with the charm, and a photo of the charm. What a keepsake! Even take pictures of the new charm as a work in progress for the photo journal. DH once gave me one of these My Publisher books as a present featuring one of our home renovation projects from start to finish- its a great way to tell a story of something meaningful we did together, look back and remember. I treasure it, keep it on coffee table.

you people are diabolical!! gardengloves - i know AGBF knows this about me, but do you know i''m a writer by trade? so the idea of putting together a book for ''recreation'' makes me want to run screaming from the room!

and yet...

is somehow appealing....

(whitby runs screaming from the room while AGBF and gardengloves laugh evil laughs)

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 4:12:57 PM
Date: 1/29/2010 4:06:08 PM

Date:

Kareyn,

AGBF

34.gif

you people are diabolical!! gardengloves - i know AGBF knows this about me, but do you know i''m a writer by trade? so the idea of putting together a book for ''recreation'' makes me want to run screaming from the room!

and yet...

is somehow appealing....

(whitby runs screaming from the room while AGBF and gardengloves laugh evil laughs)

LOL, well, I could expand a bit- some sepia tinted photos of family, a bit of their story, some childhood photos, a bit of Australia, moving on to the skyline of Manhattan, all told through the prism of an individual charm, BUT, I''ll stop..

Seriously, I know the lure of this place- the creativity is rampant! - it is chock full of design and ideas.

I just barely emerged from the siren call of the Pearl Forum, - warning - do not go there! You will not come out without a strand! and now this- a whole host of posts on charms and even a Traditional Charm Bracelet Folder, how nice, only thing I need now is an actual bracelet.

Makes me wanna run too, but gotta a feeling I am running headlong back into it.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 5:21:26 PM
LOL, well, I could expand a bit- some sepia tinted photos of family, a bit of their story, some childhood photos, a bit of Australia, moving on to the skyline of Manhattan, all told through the prism of an individual charm, BUT, I''ll stop..

Seriously, I know the lure of this place- the creativity is rampant! - it is chock full of design and ideas.

I just barely emerged from the siren call of the Pearl Forum, - warning - do not go there! You will not come out without a strand! and now this- a whole host of posts on charms and even a Traditional Charm Bracelet Folder, how nice, only thing I need now is an actual bracelet.

Makes me wanna run too, but gotta a feeling I am running headlong back into it.

honey, i''ve been there. pearls are my birthstone, so i made a foolish bee-line to that forum as soon as it opened.

i''m getting a pair of 13mm white AAA south seas for my birthday from my 2 best girlfriends.

20.gif

where''s the jewelry addict''s forum??

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Have you posted photos of your charms/charm bracelet? If not, why not
2.gif
And why I am the last to you know about this treasure
11.gif
Naughty Whitby!! I'm so excited to learn and see more about this charming part of you
36.gif
Congrats on the new sparkly!!

ETA: Evidently, I'm clueless. I'm going straight to your thread on your charm bracelet
17.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
it arrived this morning!

this isnt the greatest photo, but i think it's nice of tim to take photos for me at all, given that i'm now having a vacation in australia, and he's stuck at home with the dogs, and taking delivery of diamonds for me!

it's a .46 K SI1, traditional cut. perfect for my charm bracelet :) given that it cost me the princely sum of $311, i think it was a good buy.

IMG_2935s.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! I love it! Great photograph, too! I can''t wait to see the charm!

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF

whitbynewstone.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 8:22:51 AM

thanks Michelle :) i can''t wait to show it to you too! and i love your new profile photo. i loved your sapphires, but *this* ring is killer! i know it''s not a new ring, but i can''t remember its origin... can you tell me for which occasion it was bought? (and could you also pls update your who''s who thread and let me know how you''re going health-wise? i also want to see any home decorating updates! just call me Mrs Nosy Parker...)

9.gif

Aww thanks Kareyn!! That ring was a late [ha 2 years late] 50th birthday/25th anniversary ring and yes, Ms Nosy Parker I''ll wander over and update my who''s who thread.
9.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
oh michelle! you have no IDEA how many things i'm justifying in the name of '50th birthday gift'!! tim is being an incredibly good sport about this and has as yet to say "ANOTHER one, kareyn??"

so far, i've ordered my Leon plat wedding band, 2 more diamonds for a 5 stone ring - yet to be commenced, and i've contacted lesley at BGD for 4 more diamonds to add to the 13mm pair of south sea pearls i'm having made into earrings.

i'm trying to swing a vacation to grand cayman as well.

that might be pushing it....

buying jewelry...i mean...turning 50...is the BEST!

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

and AGBF - i'm going to tell tim you liked his diamond photo - the man deserves some encouragement!! i think it's going to take 2 months to finish by the time tim brings the stone over next month, and then i take it to my jeweler. definitely worth the wait tho. :)

bebe

Ideal_Rock
hey Whit, I think you are doing pretty good racking up 50th gifts
9.gif

For my 50th I tried to swing a "Jubilee" diamond from GOG, but DH didn''t seem to
receptive to that idea - until we were in Hawaii - with only 2 days til my birthday. ( imagine that!)
Oh well, I thought the symbolism was pretty good.

so heck, go ahead and book Grand Cayman !!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL whitby, you''ve got quite a haul coming in for your 50th! You''re my hero!! I can''t wait to see everything done. Those earrings sound just heavenly. I really hope you are able to swing your trip too.

It''s my 30th anniversary this year and I''m already working it,
31.gif
but I think I''m going to have to combine it with my birthday and probably even Mother''s Day, lol in order to get him to agree. I like "big" birthdays and anniversaries.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice stone. I love your idea of playing up the color by setting it in YG!

I don''t get to this forum much and I miss alot between visits. I better search for your charm thread! TFS

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hallo all :) and a particular hallo to stone hunter and bebe whose posts i didn't see when they originally posted some weeks ago!
35.gif

this is just a small update on my diamond charm.

tim arrived in australia (where i'm currently visiting friends and family for 2 months) for his visit about 2 weeks ago, diamond in hand, and gave it to me for valentine's day (he gave me a diamond - i gave him a pair of personalized Nike's). today i went to my jeweler and talked about a few projects, including this charm. i took the diamond with me and he did a few sketches while i was there. we decided on setting it in a white gold bezel, then a small step down to a yellow gold bezel, then a small step down to a yellow gold disc surrounding the whole. i'm having a full bail added at the top so i can slide a chain through it and wear it as a pendant as well as a charm. i pick it up on the 13th of next month.

very excited....

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

9.gif

marrylee4u

Rough_Rock
AGBF I do agree with you. Writing book has its own charm. Kareyn go ahead. We want to see you in the list of Booker''s prize winners.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, that is a beauty and it will look lovely set!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/26/2010 7:39:44 AM

today i went to my jeweler and talked about a few projects, including this charm. i took the diamond with me and he did a few sketches while i was there. we decided on setting it in a white gold bezel, then a small step down to a yellow gold bezel, then a small step down to a yellow gold disc surrounding the whole. i''m having a full bail added at the top so i can slide a chain through it and wear it as a pendant as well as a charm.
That sounds beautiful, whitby. I hope that we will see many pictures of this charm once it has been completed! We will need to see it as a charm and as a pendant, on your neck on your wrist, with the other charms and alone, and of course we will need many close-up shots showing the construction. After all this build up, we have it coming to us! ;-).

Hugs,
Deb/AGBF
34.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results