shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid antique watch question

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
How do you open them? I just bought a Henry Moser gold wristwatch and I'd like to take a peek inside. It looks like the case just snaps shut but my fingernails aren't up to the prying the case open. I can get my thumbnail into the crack but it's not strong enough to actually open the case. I don't dare try using a knife or screwdriver. What do you use?

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kismet -

Watches should be opened by a professional as their movements (and cases) can be quite delicate. It is best that the movements are not unnecesarily exposed to the elements. The groove that you can fit your fingernail into is made for a tool that pries open the movement - any watchmaker should have this tool at the ready.

Good luck!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Well my thumbnail proved to be stronger than I thought. The watch has, well I don't know what you call it, a double back? I opened up the back and there's still another cover to open (which I didn't do) in order to look at the movement. Here's a few pics. For these pics, I was playing with my new toy the dinocapture (microscope camera). It's pretty neat but I realized I needed a better light box than a piece of tissue paper from a shoebox that has printing all over it.

Even though the band is marked 56 (14k) I'm not sure that it really is as it seems discolored in places.

kiz-hymoser1.jpg

kiz-hymoser2.jpg

kiz-hymoser3.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
And these were taken with my regular camera.

kiz-hymoser7.jpg

kiz-hymoser5.jpg

kiz-hymoser6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results