shape
carat
color
clarity

Should i have my antique ring repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robainya

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring has a .85 ct OMC set in platinum with 6 small side stones (I''m told the setting is from the 1940s but the center stone is older). The center stone is crooked in the setting and i would really like to fix it, but my fiance says he we should leave it since it "adds to the character" of the ring and we shouldn''t risk anything happening to it in the fixing. As far as i''m concerned, the ring has all the character it needs without having a crooked center stone, but is there really a big risk that it will get damaged if we have it fixed?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''d want it repaired...or at least looked at by a benchman who specializes in antique pieces....I think old pieces should be examined by a professional anyway to be sure everything is in order and there are now age-related problems that need repair/restoration..

widget

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Widget. Some of that age-related "character" might be a sign of wear, and might have weakened the ring.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, get it repaired. I''d take it to someone that has experience with older pieces. I wouldn''t want my ring to have a stone that is crooked either.
2.gif

robainya

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! I actually have had it appraised by 2 antique jewelry experts--both of whom declared it to be in excellent condition. I don''t know why I didn''t ask them about it at the time. I think i was just nervous about what they were going to tell me about the ring and wasn''t thinking about the crookedness so much. The stone was removed for grading (before it was in my possession), so i suspect they just did a poor job when they put it back in. I guess if i''m having a band made to match, i can just have the e-ring repaired at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results