shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The Bavarian version of the Lover''s Knot tiara.

bavarianloversknot.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Queen Mary''s Aunt Augusta wearing her Lover''s Knot.

auntaugusta.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 6:25:25 PM
Author: emeraldeyes

Date: 2/4/2008 12:58:11 PM
Author: surfgirl

Emerald eyes, that was me and thank you for sharing what you know about the royal orders. For some reason, I find them fascinating and it is very difficult to find good, close up photos of them. I suppose I find them so interesting because they typically combine photo-like hand painted mini portraits of the family monarchs, along with gemstones...If you come across any close ups of royal orders, I'd love to see them.

I'm not sure if you know about other non-EU royal bling/orders but I'm very interested in the Thai Royal Family's orders and bling...they've got quite a bevy of bling. I posted a link back some pages but dont know much about their jewelry. If you know, please share! Thanks...

Queen Sirikit's diamond birds.
Those are interesting. What are they used for?

ETA: Sorry - I see them on her shoulders in the other picture.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 6:41:53 PM
I knew I had a photograph of this set. From Queen Alexandra eventually to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
The Queen Mum had the brooch and the necklace but Queen Elizabeth had (and frequently wears) the earrings. I don''t know if QEII has worn the necklace since her mother''s death. I can''t recall seeing it since then offhand. Do you know?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 5:00:09 PM
The Romanov nuptial mantle clasp. This was used to fasten the nuptial cloak together and is actually a massive piece.
Must.Get.Epi.Pen.Stat!

I think I'm about to go into anaphalactic diamond shock looking at that pin. Yowzer!
30.gif

ETA: Those bird pins of Queen Sirikit are amazing, aren't they? There are quite a lot of photos of various Thai family gems on that link I gave a few pages back, IIRC. They've got some really unique pieces, as evidenced by the birds...Thanks for that!

Also, thanks for the closer ups of the royal orders...I cant get enough of those...

And that set above? Not only were pieces so well made back then, but I just adore the custom velvet box that houses that set...all the scalloping in the box to hold the necklace securely? Just incredible.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Okay, one more Lover''s Knot...Queen Mary wearing hers as originally made, with the upright pearl spikes. There''s a Yousuppov version as well, but I don''t think I need to beat you over the head with this thing...

wearinglk.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 7:24:41 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

The Queen Mum had the brooch and the necklace but Queen Elizabeth had (and frequently wears) the earrings. I don''t know if QEII has worn the necklace since her mother''s death. I can''t recall seeing it since then offhand. Do you know?
I don''t believe the necklace has been seen since the death of QEQM. My bet is on the Duchess of Cornwall turning up in it at some point.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 7:37:46 PM
Author: surfgirl

Must.Get.Epi.Pen.Stat!

I think I''m about to go into anaphalactic diamond shock looking at that pin. Yowzer!
30.gif

It''s a nice little trinket isn''t it?

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
One of my all time fave tiaras. Among the items sold by the Bolsheviks after the revolution, it was purchased by the Duke of Marlborough. It came up at auction at some point after that (in the eighties possibly) and it was rumoured to have been purchased by Imelda Marcos. Some people think that Mrs. Marcos broke up the piece in order to make other more wearable items, but I don''t think anyone really knows for sure. If true, it''s a crying shame. The pearls hang so they would move with every turn of the head. Amazing!

attachment6.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
This is the last one for today. This is the Fife tiara. Given to Princess Louise (daughter of KIng Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) on her marriage by her husband the Duke of Fife. One of the most amazing peices I have ever had the pleasure of gazing upon. The hanging diamonds would catch the light with every breath the wearer took. Imagine what it must look like in candlelight...
3.gif

fife2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d like to know more about the Fife tiara. I don''t know which are considered the, "hanging" diamonds. Do any move? That is, are any attached as pendants? Does the Fife tiara have history in the family or was it made up to be given to the Princess Louise?

Deborah
34.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 8:13:22 PM

Date: 2/4/2008 7:24:41 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

I don''t believe the necklace has been seen since the death of QEQM. My bet is on the Duchess of Cornwall turning up in it at some point.
Yeah that''s what I think too. I think she looks good in the grand, old fashioned pieces - but I''m not sure if I really like pearls on her.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Since the sixth anniversary of Maxima and Willem-Alexander''s wedding has just passed, I thought I''d use that excuse to post some lovely pictures from the wedding.

A close up of the bride wearing a "star" tiara.

maximabride.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Maxima wipes away tears as she listens to a tango during the wedding ceremony.

maximawillemalexanderwedding2.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Maxima''s lace veil was very beautiful and she carried a boquet of white roses.

maximawillemalexanderwedding3.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
The happy couple kiss for the crowd.

maximawillemalexanderweddingkiss.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Maxima and Willem-Alexander cut the wedding cake with his ceremonial sword.

maximawillemalexanderwedding1.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 8:40:30 PM
This is the last one for today. This is the Fife tiara. Given to Princess Louise (daughter of KIng Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) on her marriage by her husband the Duke of Fife. One of the most amazing peices I have ever had the pleasure of gazing upon. The hanging diamonds would catch the light with every breath the wearer took. Imagine what it must look like in candlelight...
3.gif
Now that''s a tiara I could get down with...My fav of all the tiaras on this thread...

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 10:11:03 PM
Author: AGBF

I''d like to know more about the Fife tiara. I don''t know which are considered the, ''hanging'' diamonds. Do any move? That is, are any attached as pendants? Does the Fife tiara have history in the family or was it made up to be given to the Princess Louise?

Deborah
34.gif
Small mea culpa in order here, going from memory, I thought the tiara was the gift of the Duke to his bride, however Munn (in Tiaras A History of Splendour) writes:

"...It may well have been a gift from her father and mother when she married the sixth Earl and first Duke of Fife at Buckingham Palace in 1889." My humble apologies for any confusion.
33.gif
23.gif

Munn also writes:

" The diamond tiara of the Duchess of Fife, mounted in gold and set in silver. The pendant pear-shaped diamonds are articulated and move at the slightest touch..."

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Birthday to Crown Princess Mary of Denmark. I believe she is 36 today. So to celebrate we have this lovely portrait. I think these pale colors and pale stones suit her very well.

maryportrait.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
What a great picture of CP Mary. Many thanks for sharing!

Here''s a pic of the wedding tiara worn as a necklace. I don''t know what the occasion was, but I think it looks good as a necklace. Opinions?

clipboard016rs.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
And one of Mary in her pearls and aquamarines...

sipaphotos4366788vx.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
And Maxima in diamonds and aquamarines. Personally I think she looks great and I love the set - miles ahead of QEII''s aquamarines.

maspi.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Just for the sake of comparison - those of you with weak stomachs should look away. I can''t stand this tiara!

aquamarinesinchinanowatermark.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive never seen this aqua suit that the queen is wearing...anyone have info on it?I am with you emerald eyes...I dont care you it at all.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Okay...found the answer to my own question...a little reserch on the net and my own library yielded this info....the necklace and earrings were a coronation gift to the young queen in 1953 and the stones took over a year to collect and match for the jewelry.The tiara was made years later to match the suit.I think the tiara was a big mistake.Any other info anyone can share?

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 9:56:06 PM
Just for the sake of comparison - those of you with weak stomachs should look away. I can''t stand this tiara!
I don''t like the design at all but there is no doubt that those are very fine aquas! What I wouldn''t give for just one of the big ones.
9.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2008 9:56:06 PM
Whoever did the Queen''s make up on this one should be hung. Nevermind the awful tiara...I cant tear my eyes away from that white clown make up job. That is just all kinds of wrong. Like, international incident wrong!
38.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results