carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:Ellas Laurel leaf tiara

Princess Dagmar|1315621804|3014160 said:
Grand Duchess Elizabeths [Ella] laurel leaf tiara certainly looks like it could be the one Queen Anne Marie now wears.
The laurel leaf was a popular design in the 19th century.

I'd be the odd one here and stick to the theory that the ruby parure (in its whole) was created link after link, leaf after leaf, because it took King George I quite some time to present his wife with all the stones throughout the years :)
I'd change my opinion only after an official story is printed/released by the Greek royals, or at least there are reliable evidences.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315745391|3014952 said:
Here is one -- I think this is the same bracelet combined w/one of yellow & white diamonds that matches earrings in the pic -- don't know what this occasion was.

The 2nd pic is small, shows how the bracelet sits on her wrist at least.

From a coule of close-ups that I saw, I'd say that these are not the same bracelets. Certainly the Mont Blanc ones don't have coloured stones in them. In fact, (and as far as I can tell) they have the same design as the earrings

Anyway, I love your photos, Laurie! I'm a big fan of canary diamonds :)

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, the bracelet w/the yellow diamonds is a separate one from the diamond bracelet. She is wearing a two-strand diamond bracelet along with a bracelet of white & yellow diamonds in that pic. The all-white-diamond-two-strand one looks similar to the MB one & I surmised it was that because having 2 so alike seems unnecessary. But Charlene obviously loves diamonds, so maybe she does have 2 very similar bracelets. I would if I could!!! :tongue:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday, Your Majesty! May there be many happy returns :)

694969_06.jpg
0000317703-026.jpg
29c.jpg

*A secret admirer

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315778057|3015262 said:
Bobby, the bracelet w/the yellow diamonds is a separate one from the diamond bracelet. She is wearing a two-strand diamond bracelet along with a bracelet of white & yellow diamonds in that pic. The all-white-diamond-two-strand one looks similar to the MB one & I surmised it was that because having 2 so alike seems unnecessary. But Charlene obviously loves diamonds, so maybe she does have 2 very similar bracelets. I would if I could!!! :tongue:

Ohhh. I'm sorry then. Having some problems with the monitor, sometimes I find it hard to see all details ni pics. This time I thought the yellow diamonds were irregularly/zig-zag set in the bracelets... Now I see what you meant.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1315775403|3015225 said:
JewelFreak|1315659887|3014341 said:
Princess Charlene is acquiring diamonds, lucky girl.

At the debut of Mont Blanc's new pen line "Collection Princess Grace," earrings & matching bracelet.

Actually, in addition to jewelled pens, the Mont Blanc collection includes jewels . That's where The Princess' earrings and bracelet come from.

Check the link to see some of the MB jewels - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=124119972&EditorialProduct=Royalty

Bobby

Looking at the photos Princess Grace, I see a resemblance to Charlene. Thoughts?

jean95404

Rough_Rock
I don't really see a resemblance to Princess Grace, but I am wondering if Princess Charlene is getting all of the jewels from the Mont Blanc displays? I am thinking that she must be having a whole room in the Palace set aside for the new jewels (as well as the older pieces) that she has access too. Lucky woman!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't see a resemblance except that they're both blonde. Grace had one great advantage over Charlene: actress & model, Grace knew the best styles for herself & how to achieve whatever effect she wanted. She also knew how to "play" a royal. Charlene grew up a "regular" person, father a Xerox salesman. In addition, like most athletes determined to make the Olympics, her young social life was somewhat narrow as she spent a great deal of her time training. I don't think she developed an ease in many situations that the less dedicated of us learn as we experience things. I've noticed in recent photos that Charlene looks SO much more confident & think she'll blossom over time.

She receives criticism for her minimalist style of dress & jewels -- I plead guilty -- I'm dying to see her wear some REAL bling. But I give her credit for starting cautiously, rather than piling it all on & risking overdoing things. At the rate she's acquiring diamonds, I hope we'll see her get a bit more daring as she finds what works for her. Putting myself in her situation ( :love: :tongue: ), coming from a background where sparkly gorgeous jewels were not even considered a possibility, I can imagine it would take a while to get so used to them that you dare play around with them & risk making a mistake. I read once that she's scared of embarrassing the Grimaldis -- considering how some of them dress, not worth worrying about, but she'll learn.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1315783944|3015373 said:
Looking at the photos Princess Grace, I see a resemblance to Charlene. Thoughts?

I think there's a certain resamblence in the way Grace and Charleine look phisically - they are both good looking, tall, blond. Both Princesses dress(ed) well and have had a good profile (sao far) in the society. In addition to that, the two Princesses were famous (more in Grace's case) before they met their Prince, who were older than them. Being a man I can tell you that we search for a woman that is more or less like our mothers. We do this quite innocently, actually ;-)

To Jean: I din't think HSH has all the jewels from Mont Blanc's new collection. Actually I think that most of the glittering jewels we see on Princess Charleine are loans from the jewellery houses (Repossi's for sure).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday (12.09) was the anniversary of the death of HM Queen Eleonora of Bulgaria. It's such a pitty that little is known about the life of this interesting woman. Nowadays Her late Majesty is the unsung heroine of the XXc. Bulgarian monarchy (imo) - she was devoted to her new country, its people and her step-children. I should also mention that Queen Eleonora had an interesting royal connection.

Here are two portraits showing her covered with jewels:
Tsaritsa_Eleonorag.jpg
18601917.3.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today I came across this interesting interview with King Canstantine II and Queen Anna-Maria where they are talking (a.o. things) about this year's British royal wedding and The King's Gold medal from the 1960 Olympic games. The Queen is wearing a pair of earrings and a brooch with rubies and diamonds, unknown to me. Are there any other videos/photos of HM with these jewels and is anything known about their story?

The videos - Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiZRRFUnAnQ
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKWOYORzdZs

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I couldn't find anything modern with more of Anne-Marie's jewelry, Bobby. Those were nice rubies. Plenty of old film of their wedding, etc. but nothing showing her jewelry that was new. I'm always charmed looking at those older pictures at how pretty & young & fresh Anne-Marie was as a bride & young woman.

Bobby, tell us more about the Bulgarian royal family & their jewels. Loved the photos of Queen Eleonora. They seem, at least in recent years, to have intermarried a bit with German nobility, but I can't claim any knowledge of them at all. I did find some drool-worthy jewels, though.

bul01.jpg

Bulgaria fleur de lys tiara.jpg

Princess Rosario tiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315938403|3016653 said:
I couldn't find anything modern with more of Anne-Marie's jewelry, Bobby. Those were nice rubies. Plenty of old film of their wedding, etc. but nothing showing her jewelry that was new. I'm always charmed looking at those older pictures at how pretty & young & fresh Anne-Marie was as a bride & young woman.

I was asking about the jewels HM wears in the videos. Agree that Queen Anne-Marie was a most beautiful bride :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1315938403|3016653 said:
Bobby, tell us more about the Bulgarian royal family & their jewels. Loved the photos of Queen Eleonora. They seem, at least in recent years, to have intermarried a bit with German nobility, but I can't claim any knowledge of them at all. I did find some drool-worthy jewels, though.

My royal family, Laurie, maintains (quite naturally) a close relationship with most of the other European Royal families. The King and The Queen are regular attendees at British and Greek royal events. Their chuldren and their spouses regularly attend weddings and birthdays. Some of the events I can think of are the weddings of Constantine II & Anne-Marie, The Prince of Wales, Crown Prince Fredrik, the Prince of Asturias and Crown Princess Victoria, also Pss Alexandra of S-W-B and The Duke of Cambridge; King Carl Gustaf & the PoW's 60th, the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima's 40th birthdays (in 2008&2011), the Silver wedding anniversary of Luxembourg's Grand Duchal couple; The Queen Mother's and Archduke Otto's funerals (2002 and 2011).
As you mentioned, they also have a good relationship with the German royals. Among the most recent Greman royal event attended by the Bulgarians was the wedding of Prince Huberus v. S-C&G and that of Duchess Fleur of Wurttemberg. Simeon II and Margarita also attended Crown Prince Pavlos' wedding in London.
As you can see, they are really liked and respected among their peers (HM being a friend of Carl XVI Gustaf and The Prince of Wales). In Bulgaria, however, they are not that liked, I think because of Simeon's involvement with politics (a huge NO for a royal!) and the fact the he became a wealthy landowner after the restitution of the former properties of the royal family (some of which are said not to have been their property, but the State's). Yet there are many people here that respect them (myself included).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Because I didn't want to write an overly lengthy post, I'll devide it in two - the royal family anf their jewels.

The gold wreath in Laurie's post is from the Ancient times (IV-VI c. BC). Though I'm not sure, it might be the same that I saw in a Museum in Kazanlak a couple of wears ago. In any case, it belongs to one of the Tracian treasores that have been found in Bulgaria. Unforunately, however, I can't find the catalogue, so that I can give you more details.

Now about the Bulgarian Saxe-Coburg and Gothas' jewels:
The Fleur-de-lys tiara was a wedding present from the people of Bulgaria to Princess Marie-Louise of Parma, the firs wife of Ferdinand I and grandmother of The Tsar. It was made by the German jewellery house Koechert and was set with large rubies and emeralds. Together with the diamonds they represent the colours of the Bulgarian flag. The tiara could be broken into a necklace/bandeau and brooches. A that the central Indian ruby was/is of immense value and weights 8 carats, while the emerald below it was 7 cts. This was written in 1990 by Hristo Dermendjiev.
But how did the people of Bulgaria buy it? Quite simple - people donated and 4% from the clerks' salaries were taken for the gift. The committee in charge was headed by the Primce Minister's wife - Mrs Polixena Stambolova, who gave the tiara to The Princess in Sodia, 1983. Sice then it has been worn at three other royal weddings - Boris III & Giovanna di Savoya, Simeon II & Margarita Gomez-Acebo y Cejuela and Princess Marie-Louise and Karl of Leiningen.
It has been suggested that the tiara either no longer exists in its orrginal state, or that it has been sold in order to pay HM's gambling debts. Unfortunately, the rumours seem to be true, because we've not seen the tiara in about 40 years... In 2005 the RF refused to loan it to the National Historical Museum, because (as they said) it's not in its orriginal state anymore.

Anyway, Princess Marie-Louise also had a fringe tiara, which was a present from Tarnovo, Bg's old capital.s. She also had a loop tiara with peral spikes. Among the groom's presents were a floral tiara (worn at the Prince of Preslav's wedding) and a crown with diamods, emeralds, rubies and a sapphire. The Princess also had a very beautiful set of necklace and earrings with diamonds and rubies, also diamond and emeralds. There was also a pair of sapphire and diamond earrings that aledgely belonged to Marie-Antoanette (a present from Clementine perhaps?). Princess Clementine's (Foxy's mother) gave the bride an impressive jewel in the form of a leafs that could be worn as a corsage oranment or a necklace. In more recent times, both Ioanna and Margarita have worn a diamond collet necklace with pear-shaped diamond clusters as pendants. Now HM mostly wears a pair of diamond pendant earrings and a pearl choker, very rarely tiaras (the last time must've been at Fleur von Wurttemberg's pre-wedding). Over the years we've also seen some modern diamond pieces on the new generation.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions :)

Bobby

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Re: Queen Anne Maries ruby brooch

Hi Bobby, I have seen black and white photos of Queen Ingrid wearing this ruby brooch.
Trying to post an image hope it works.
Qu%20Ingrid%20long%20pearl%20necklace%20&%20curved%20brooch_0.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Re: Queen Anne Maries ruby brooch

Princess Dagmar|1316002765|3017218 said:
Hi Bobby, I have seen black and white photos of Queen Ingrid wearing this ruby brooch.
Trying to post an image hope it works.

Thank you, Dagmar! I've never seen this lovely photo of Queen Ingrid bofore. It is nice to know who has it now, as I've often wondered what happened to HM's lesser/daytime jewels. I now remember this photo where we can also see Queen Ingrid with the brooch:
3223389279_974ec8d61e_b.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1315956857|3016883 said:
Because I didn't want to write an overly lengthy post, I'll devide it in two - the royal family anf their jewels.

Bobby

Looking at this post again, I see that I've made quite a few spelling mistakes- something for which I do apologize but I was writing this in the wee hours and was quite tired.

Best!
Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Found an website: www.dianasjewels.net that has some nice descriptions and closeups of the Duchess of Cambridge's jewels worn to date. Have not looked at the section for Princess Diana. That will have to wait for another night. Bobby your comments are always welcome as well as educational. Absolutely no worries about typos, we have all had the occasion to sit in front of a computer late at night.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Re: Queen Ingrid and Queen Anne Maries ruby brooch

Yes that is also a nice photo of HM. I thought she was very fair dividing up her jewels between three daughters.
Got a screen shot of Queen Anne Marie wearing the ruby brooch. Will try and post here. Qu%20Anne%20Marie%20ruby%20brooch%20was%20Qu%20Ingrids%20screen%20shot.jpg
Also while I am at it i see that Queen Margrethe has sapphire earrings made from 4 oval sapphires divided by
what looks like a platinum cross. And her sapphire brooch looks to have a filigree of laurel leaves around the edge
of the square sapphire.Hope my descriptions are good enough. 0Marg%20sapphire%20earrings%20&%20brooch%20with%20laurel%20leaves%20poss%20from%20gr%20grd%20mum.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
So how did Queen Ingrid split up her jewels among her daughters? I am assuming the most important pieces went to Daisy to stay in the country/with the crown but curious as to what the others received. Guess I never really thought about it.

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
You are quite right about Daisy receiving the important pieces from her mother. And I suppose it is difficult to say
which pieces Queen Alexandrine left to her three grand daughters and which pieces went to Ingrid then to her
daughters. Alexandrine passed away in 1952.
Ingrid gave Anne Marie the Khedive of Egypt tiara. Most Danish Princesses have used this tiara for their weddings.
The Khedive of Egypt gave it to Margaret of Connaught in 1905 when she married the Crown Prince Gustav Adolph of Sweden.
Sadly Margaret died in 1920 when her daughter Ingrid was only 10 yrs old.
Ingrid gave the Star & pearl spike tiara to Prss Benedikte.
A large floral brooch made into a tiara went to Prss Benedikte.
Queen Alexandrines heart scroll brooch with pearl drop a gift from Christian X went to Prss Benedikte.
Ingrids diamond Fringe earrings to Prss Benedikte.
Ingrids long diamond drop earrings with pearl end to Prss Benedikte. [were Alexandrines also I think]
Alexandrines long diamond chain necklace was divided into two necklaces one for Qu Anne Marie and one for Prss Benedikte.
A sapphire brooch in a scroll setting, I believe belonged to part of a large corsage of Alexandines went to Prss Benedikte. [I could be wrong of course. Just my belief that it was part of the sapphire corsage.]
Qu Anne Maries daughter Prss Alexia wears a lovely big bow brooch with rubies, I believe was once Alexandrines. Looks very old.
It is impossible for me to say how many pearl necklaces were passed to the three sisters. But a great many I would say. I have counted 14 pearl necklaces that Qu Margrethe has in possession now. Some from Prince Henri.
Ingrid gave all three girls a gold bangle each and a gold flower brooch with a diamond centre.

This is all I can think of for now. Of course the ruby brooch discussed in the previous post.
If I am wrong, about any of these, I am sure someone will bring it to my attention.
cheers

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
It occurred to me I should add some pics.
Alexia%20prss%20Greece%20wearing%20Qu%20Ingrids%20ruby%20brooch.jpg
alexandrine%20dk%201870.jpg
This large diamond brooch should be the same one as Alexia''s.
I would really love to know what happened to two of Queen Louises tiara's. Wife of King Christian IX of Denmark
Perhaps they were broken up to make other pieces. Does anyone know?
Qu%20louise%20I%20tiara%20close%20up%20landgrave%20hesse%20gift.jpg Qu%20Louise%20I%20Dk%20costume%20party%201860s.jpg
Also Queen Louise of Denmark [who was married to Frederik VIII, ] had a large corsage brooch not seen again. Qu%20Louise%202%20Denmark%20jewels.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316122701|3018439 said:
It occurred to me I should add some pics.
Alexia%20prss%20Greece%20wearing%20Qu%20Ingrids%20ruby%20brooch.jpg
alexandrine%20dk%201870.jpg
This large diamond brooch should be the same one as Alexia''s.
I would really love to know what happened to two of Queen Louises tiara's. Wife of King Christian IX of Denmark
Perhaps they were broken up to make other pieces. Does anyone know?
Qu%20louise%20I%20tiara%20close%20up%20landgrave%20hesse%20gift.jpg Qu%20Louise%20I%20Dk%20costume%20party%201860s.jpg
Also Queen Louise of Denmark [who was married to Frederik VIII, ] had a large corsage brooch not seen again. Qu%20Louise%202%20Denmark%20jewels.jpg

The „tiara“ which Queen Louise wore on the detail photo (original with her daughter Alexandra) wasn’t a tiara at all. It was a design of different diamond parts. She also wore the crown necklace and later there were some huge promblems as the necklace and earings cound’nt leave Denmark at this time. (as crown property) sourese the denske juveille

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Princess Dagmar|1316052323|3017923 said:
Yes that is also a nice photo of HM. I thought she was very fair dividing up her jewels between three daughters.

I also think that this was a fairly equal (in terms of numbers) division of Queen Ingrid's jewels :)

Also while I am at it i see that Queen Margrethe has sapphire earrings made from 4 oval sapphires divided by
what looks like a platinum cross. And her sapphire brooch looks to have a filigree of laurel leaves around the edge
of the square sapphire.Hope my descriptions are good enough.

Yes, your descriptions are quite accurate, Dagmar, only that I'm not sure if the stones in the earrings are sapphires. There's also a diamond in the middle of the earrings :)

And just because I love this piece, here's a somehow close-up of Queen Margrethe's sapphire brooch (which has Prussian origins, btw). I noticed it only this year and can't help but wonder if there are photos of it being worn?
pruss.saph.br.dk.jpg

Princess Dagmar

Rough_Rock
Thank you Alexander. It would be lovely if someone could get the historical details from the royal families before
the history of these pieces is forgotten. I find it fascinating how a piece passes from one royal house to another
and still looks great 200 yrs later. I wonder if some of our modern jewelry will last that long. The makers of some
of these pieces were true artisans and like a good painting these jewels can be appreciated when worn out to
gala events for people to admire. I agree with Elizabeth Taylor that you are the custodian of a particular piece
not so much an owner. I would appreciate it more if photographers could get nice good close up -clear shots of
the jewels worn whether they be old or new. I really don't care about the dress or the handbag or the shoes.
Just a good clear shot of the jewels would satisfy me.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Dagmar|1316118836|3018385 said:
You are quite right about Daisy receiving the important pieces from her mother. And I suppose it is difficult to say which pieces Queen Alexandrine left to her three grand daughters and which pieces went to Ingrid then to her daughters. Alexandrine passed away in 1952.

Well, I can't agree that the most important pieces went to Daisy. For sure the most valueble jewels (the ruby parure) were left to Fredrik, whose wife now wears them. The second most important jewel - the Khedive tiara - went to Anne-Marie. And we should be careful not to confuse jewels that were given to the Princesses Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie and jewels that were left to them.
Anyway, thank for the interesting post, Dagmar! I never knew that Princess Benedikte's pearl and diamond corsage ornament came from Queen Alexandrine's extensive collection.
As to some of the pieces that you mention, here's what I havre to add:
1) We shall not forget that Queen Margrethe also got as presents from her parents Queen Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara and sapphires, also Princess Dagmar's floral tiara. HM also has the turquoise jewels that Princess (later Queen) Ingrid inherited from her mother.
2)Princess Benedikte has (though I'm not sure if they are inherited or she had them before 2000) Queen Alexandrine's amethysts. Allegedly worn at an opera gala by Queen Ingrid. HRH also has a pair of turquoise earrings from her mother. The sapphire brooch that you mention was left to QI by Princess Thyra, who supposingly got it frem her mother Queen Lovisa (nee of Sweden)

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock

prince.of.preslav|1316124296|3018452 said:
Princess Dagmar|1316052323|3017923 said:

I also think that this was a fairly equal (in terms of numbers) division of Queen Ingrid's jewels :)

of the square sapphire.Hope my descriptions are good enough.

Yes, your descriptions are quite accurate, Dagmar, only that I'm not sure if the stones in the earrings are sapphires. There's also a diamond in the middle of the earrings :)

And just because I love this piece, here's a somehow close-up of Queen Margrethe's sapphire brooch (which has Prussian origins, btw). I noticed it only this year and can't help but wonder if there are photos of it being worn?
pruss.saph.br.dk.jpg

Could these be Tanzanite in the earrings?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1316124021|3018450 said:
The „tiara“ which Queen Louise wore on the detail photo (original with her daughter Alexandra) wasn’t a tiara at all. It was a design of different diamond parts. She also wore the crown necklace and later there were some huge promblems as the necklace and earings cound’nt leave Denmark at this time. (as crown property) sourese the denske juveille

The occasion at which they (the odds&ends tiara and Crown diamonds) were worn was the wedding of HRH The Duke of York to HSH Princess Victoria Mary of Teck :) The Danish Queen wore the earrings from the set on the collar of her dress, among other diamond jewels. Apart from the Crown's necklace, HM also had a diamond choker, not seen (by me) on another person since.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results