carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1312584869|2985075 said:
LadyMaria-

If I were you I would definitely treat myself to a new tiara. Oh, what to do! I am all aquiver! Should this be posted in the Royal Jewels thread or the Tiaras thread? One doesn't like to make faux pas in this exalted company!

At any rate, my point is that the set you posted should, of course, have been purchased, but it is simply a bonus since it is not, technically, a tiara and thus does not fulfill the necessary requirements for the Tiara Buy. Kidney stones qualify you automatically for a Tiara Buy. It's in the Rules.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

:D :D :D Having had kidney problems in the past (albeit on a smaller scale), I can only second that - our brave Lady Maria desrves a new tiara.

Both here and in Tiaras this is off-topic, Deb. But I think we can give it a pass in this thread :razz: Perhaps her ladyship would like to make a new thread about her collection of costume jewellery?

Bobby

QueenShelly

Shiny_Rock
Since I have seen that the topic of me being rude or what ever the issue with Danny is, she attacked me first. Ive decided to leave the group. I have not insulted camilla in my last post. Im also tired of certain comments when I decided to leave the topic alone.
Im tired of having to explain myself to someone when we are all adults here. Life is to short for someone to throw a fit over suppose bashing that never happened.
It is amazing how words can be turned around to make another person happy. Or they need something to complain about :((

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Two votes for a new tiara...hmmmmm...after all the bills come in for all of this, I may have to see what I can do. Today's purchase was an impulse buy. I wouldn't have done it if we hadn't haggled (I originally offered her $10, we settled on $15) over the price.

If I do get a new tiara, I'll post on the Tiaras thread. I don't think my little collection is worthy of it's own thread...after all, it is costume jewelry and I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators.

And thanks again to everyone for your support through all of this!
=)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
QueenShelly|1312587066|2985104 said:
Since I have seen that the topic of me being rude or what ever the issue with Danny is, she attacked me first. Ive decided to leave the group. I have not insulted camilla in my last post. Im also tired of certain comments when I decided to leave the topic alone.
Im tired of having to explain myself to someone when we are all adults here. Life is to short for someone to throw a fit over suppose bashing that never happened.
It is amazing how words can be turned around to make another person happy. Or they need something to complain about :((

I hope you reconsider, QueenShelly. I think that our group is enriched by being diverse. If we all came from the same country, had the same backgrounds, and held the same opinions the discussions here would be less interesting. We would not have as much that was different to offer each other, either. You and I agreed to disagree about Diana and Camilla and I think we have done quite well since our initial discussion. Since that time we have not crossed swords or exchanged a harsh word. I did not feel that your comment on Camilla's hat went beyond the bounds of comments I have seen on members of the royal family in fashion magazines so it didn't bother me, personally, although I certainly think other members of the forum have a right to speak their minds about all comments made here.

I hope that you can tough it out here. You seem like an interesting woman. By the way, are you European? I had wondered if you were British yourself. Also: Danny is a man. I believe from your posting that you thought he was a woman.

Best of luck.

Deb/AGBF

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
charlene.jpg

HSH Charlene at the Red Cross Ball with her Ocean tiara in necklace form.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1312587511|2985108 said:
Two votes for a new tiara...hmmmmm...after all the bills come in for all of this, I may have to see what I can do. Today's purchase was an impulse buy. I wouldn't have done it if we hadn't haggled (I originally offered her $10, we settled on $15) over the price.

If I do get a new tiara, I'll post on the Tiaras thread. I don't think my little collection is worthy of it's own thread...after all, it is costume jewelry and I don't want to get in trouble with the moderators.

And thanks again to everyone for your support through all of this!
=)

third vote for a new tiara!!! As I know how much such little things can do.. I would suggest the Kate one - K ate and K idney.. sounds good..:)
BTW wounderful ring...

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
LadyMaria|1312571832|2984967 said:
Today, I finally made it out of the house for a little while. This is the first time I've driven to go somewhere in over a week. It felt good to get out.

I went up to small town about 10 miles north of where I live to look at a couple of my favorite antique stores. I've been debating whether or not to treat myself to a new tiara since I added "Lady Lithotripsy" to my list of titles :tongue: and while walking around the antique stores, I stumbled on this necklace and earring set. I thought the color was unique and I had never seen this style of a fake opal before (it almost looks like it has gold flakes in it). It was priced at $25, but I got her down to $15. And it had the box!

It's not a tiara, but here is my new purchase for "Lady Lithotripsy!" :lol:

aren't this stones not more in the colour of torquoises?
I think the faux opals are more pink. BTW it's a heavy work to produce such fakes.

As you know, also a tiara collector, a supplier couple told me that the stones were mainly produced in the CZ Rep. by an old man.
and they (and I trust them) said, he take the secret of how to make this mixed glasstones - yes, the gold is gold! - into his grave. most stones and items (also sold by ebay etc.) are not later then from 1960's. and from first sight - you can't say which is real or the fake!!

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QueenShelly|1312569450|2984940 said:
Princess Ann has the long slender neck like Queen Mary.
I wonder if PAnn has ever tried to wear jewels like QMary did?

Yes she did - of course not with such much glitter and sparkling as my dear Queen Mary. just think of the Empress Marie Choker. I think not many women can wear it with such ease and style.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312586989|2985103 said:
AGBF|1312584869|2985075 said:
LadyMaria-

If I were you I would definitely treat myself to a new tiara. Oh, what to do! I am all aquiver! Should this be posted in the Royal Jewels thread or the Tiaras thread? One doesn't like to make faux pas in this exalted company!

At any rate, my point is that the set you posted should, of course, have been purchased, but it is simply a bonus since it is not, technically, a tiara and thus does not fulfill the necessary requirements for the Tiara Buy. Kidney stones qualify you automatically for a Tiara Buy. It's in the Rules.

Deb/AGBF

:D :D :D Having had kidney problems in the past (albeit on a smaller scale), I can only second that - our brave Lady Maria desrves a new tiara.

Both here and in Tiaras this is off-topic, Deb. But I think we can give it a pass in this thread :razz: Perhaps her ladyship would like to make a new thread about her collection of costume jewellery?

Bobby

this would be great! I absolute support this. or a thread about own jewel collections (if not exists).
as I know, my own collection some pages ago, was also "off-topic" but on the other hand, when such off topics talked about their "own" royal jewels - why not. wasn't here not at the lower pages no. a lady with nice rings from her collection?

but such things make a forum alive. when I ignore the history of a pice or the wearer / or the first wearer - I can go and see this many death jewellry - behind thick in dusted museums.

and PLEASE!!!!!! could you all close that Diana vs. Camilla stuff. for me you can't compare this two women. on is in her 60's (and for my she had her own style - and when I remember the really ugly photos the press offered some years ago ) and the other died in her late 30's btw, Diana would be 50 this year.
it is the same silly competion with Charlene and Gracia. how can a human beeing fight against such "icons".....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexander1917|1312606425|2985281 said:
and PLEASE!!!!!! could you all close that Diana vs. Camilla stuff. for me you can't compare this two women. on is in her 60's (and for my she had her own style -

Well, alexander, I would be willing to let it rest, but I am afraid Laurie and LadyMaria cannot control themselves. Every time they hear the name of one of the two princesses to whom you referred, the gloves are off! Never have I seen such a fracas; I thought they might come to fisticuffs! I saw one of LadyMaria's white gloves lying beside a broken potted plant that looked as if it had been hurled across the room. Laurie's famous pearls were on the Oriental carpet and it was a miracle they had not come off their string! I tell you the entire chamber was a shambles. So I implore you to work your wiles on them. If you can work some reason into their heads, this forum may finally find some peace. There are always a few hotheads on every forum and I am afraid that Laurie and LadyMaria are ours...but we love them anyway. After all, they are our own hotheads.

Deb
:saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Whoa!! Moi?? I plead not guilty, Deb! I don't remember comparing D to C in at least a year. I think Camilla's jewels are gorgeous & that's the point of this forum, and I've said so. I dislike her hats enormously but most English hats are ridiculous these days, as I've mentioned re other people. Diana dropped some loud sartorial clangers too -- honestly, I never liked the emerald choker as a headband; it looked lame to me, but it was 25 yrs ago so why mention it? Camilla's there. Period. I do not resent that she's living as happy & contributive a life as she can, more power to her. If I didn't go for how she dressed, or how certain pieces looked w/what she wore, i said so, but nothing about her character -- maybe I just forget what I said, if so, I extend apologies.

I do get heated sometimes in Hangout but really don't recall going off the rails here. But I vow NEVER to mention the name of the PoW's wife ever again, howzat?

--- Laurie

P.S. I expected Charlene's tiara to look great as a necklace & it looks even better than great. Will be interested to see it atop her head. Thanks for the pic, SDL, hadn't seen it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1312628433|2985341 said:
Whoa!! Moi?? I plead not guilty, Deb! I don't remember comparing D to C in at least a year. I think Camilla's jewels are gorgeous & that's the point of this forum, and I've said so. I dislike her hats enormously but most English hats are ridiculous these days, as I've mentioned re other people. Diana dropped some loud sartorial clangers too -- honestly, I never liked the emerald choker as a headband; it looked lame to me, but it was 25 yrs ago so why mention it? Camilla's there. Period. I do not resent that she's living as happy & contributive a life as she can, more power to her. If I didn't go for how she dressed, or how certain pieces looked w/what she wore, i said so, but nothing about her character -- maybe I just forget what I said, if so, I extend apologies.

I do get heated sometimes in Hangout but really don't recall going off the rails here. But I vow NEVER to mention the name of the PoW's wife ever again, howzat?

Well, then, never mind.

Deb

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
A year ago this month I saw the Cartier Collection exhibition at Prague Castle and I have finally gotten around to getting some pics of the magnificent jewels that I saw there.

First up is a tiara of rubies, diamonds, platimum and Blackened steel, may for a friend of Queen Mary of Romania for the occation of the Coronation of King Ferdinand.

I think it is simply stunning, and it was incredible to see in real life. :love:

black%20cartier%20tiara.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Next a piece that I think is rather iconic - the Amythest and Tourquoise and diamond bib necklace of the Duchess of Windsor. Accordign to the exhibition, the Duke and Duchess provided all the jewels used, except the turquoieses. Metals used are 18ct twisted gold, 20 ct gold and platinum! :read:

Cartier-DuchessofWindsor-Necklace.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Another icon - the Panther Brooch.

According to the Cartier Book the cabachon kashmir sapphire is 152.35 cts in weight!

Trust me when I say you don't get the true scale of it until you see it for real, just breathtaking! :naughty: :cheeky: :love:

hbz-duchess-windsor-verdura-brooch-de-29502320.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
A tiara that belonged to Princess Marie Boneparte, a great-grand nices of Emporor Napoleon I.

Prin%20Marie%20Bonaparte%20Tiara.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
The Rose Brooch by Cartier worn by HRH Princess Margaret, most noteably at the corronation of HM QE II in 1953.

Princess%20Margaret%20cartier%20brooch.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1312613191|2985314 said:
alexander1917|1312606425|2985281 said:
and PLEASE!!!!!! could you all close that Diana vs. Camilla stuff. for me you can't compare this two women. on is in her 60's (and for my she had her own style -

Well, alexander, I would be willing to let it rest, but I am afraid Laurie and LadyMaria cannot control themselves. Every time they hear the name of one of the two princesses to whom you referred, the gloves are off! Never have I seen such a fracas; I thought they might come to fisticuffs! I saw one of LadyMaria's white gloves lying beside a broken potted plant that looked as if it had been hurled across the room. Laurie's famous pearls were on the Oriental carpet and it was a miracle they had not come off their string! I tell you the entire chamber was a shambles. So I implore you to work your wiles on them. If you can work some reason into their heads, this forum may finally find some peace. There are always a few hotheads on every forum and I am afraid that Laurie and LadyMaria are ours...but we love them anyway. After all, they are our own hotheads.

Deb

Ummm...when I have I gotten into this debate? Especially lately bouncing from one hospital to another? I've tried to make a point of staying out it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had too, Maria, apparently without success, though any forays I made lately were in trying to smooth waters. Must have unintentionally conveyed something I didn't mean. I guess maybe I should shut up altogether for a while, will meander on to somewhere else.

--- Laurie

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone - Please don't anyone leave this forum. I paraphrase a recent remark - every brilliant cut stone has many facets and together they make a wonderful whole! Peace, everyone and lets continue to enjoy the beautiful jewels.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1312641576|2985397 said:
I thought I had too, Maria, apparently without success, though any forays I made lately were in trying to smooth waters. Must have unintentionally conveyed something I didn't mean. I guess maybe I should shut up altogether for a while, will meander on to somewhere else.

--- Laurie

Just shoot me now.

I chose the two women I saw as the calmest, most intelligent, least likely ever to put a foot wrong...women who had never said an inflammatory word anywhere on Pricescope (Laurie and LadyMaria). Then, feeling safe since I had chosen so "wisely" (ha ha) I wove what I thought was a clever fantasy about them. Each was supposedly defending the princess (Diana or Camilla) she preferred. (Notice I didn't specify who liked which princess? Because I didn't have a clue in reality. In reality you two ladies are far too discreet to make negative comments about anyone for no reason!) I chose you two, not anyone who might in actuality fly off the handle to be sure (once again ha ha) everyone knew that this was humor!!!

I did it again. My dry sense of humor made people think I was serious. I apologize. It apparently was not funny!

Deb

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1312605644|2985275 said:
BubblyBear|1312604414|2985264 said:
charlene.jpg

I'd have loved her to wear this with something sapphire blue. The necklace is exquisite.

That is amazing necklace. How interesting that it's both a tiara and a necklace! Are all tiaras like that?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1312657590|2985516 said:
That is amazing necklace. How interesting that it's both a tiara and a necklace! Are all tiaras like that?

No. Some remain in one piece. Many of them can be converted into other other pieces of jewelry, often necklaces, but sometimes brooches and other more esoteric pieces of jewelry, however.

The tiara which Crown Princess Mary of Denmark received as a gift on her wedding day from her in-laws can be worn either as a tiara or a necklace in the same way that the Ocean Tiara can. By the way, if you missed it, this link was posted before. It shows the making of the Ocean Tiara by Van Cleef and Arpels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKrNHDPUtTM

Deb/AGBF

CrownPrincessMarysWeddingTiara.jpg

CrownPrincessMaryofDenmarkWeddingTiaraAsNecklace.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1312653535|2985490 said:
JewelFreak|1312641576|2985397 said:

--- Laurie

Just shoot me now.

I chose the two women I saw as the calmest, most intelligent, least likely ever to put a foot wrong...women who had never said an inflammatory word anywhere on Pricescope (Laurie and LadyMaria). Then, feeling safe since I had chosen so "wisely" (ha ha) I wove what I thought was a clever fantasy about them. Each was supposedly defending the princess (Diana or Camilla) she preferred. (Notice I didn't specify who liked which princess? Because I didn't have a clue in reality. In reality you two ladies are far too discreet to make negative comments about anyone for no reason!) I chose you two, not anyone who might in actuality fly off the handle to be sure (once again ha ha) everyone knew that this was humor!!!

I did it again. My dry sense of humor made people think I was serious. I apologize. It apparently was not funny!

Deb

I get it now!!! :lol: If I ever need someone to play a practical joke on someone with a straight face, I'm calling you Deb!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1312605644|2985275 said:
BubblyBear|1312604414|2985264 said:
charlene.jpg

I'd have loved her to wear this with something sapphire blue. The necklace is exquisite.

I wish she had worn it in the tiara form...but I don't think the Red Cross Ball has ever been a tiara event.

I think a blue dress would have worked well too. But, I admit, the blue sapphires didn't stand out near as much as I thought they would. It was a much more subtle effect with the color. And HSH looks pretty happy too...hopefully all those stupid rumors have been laid to rest.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
centralsquare|1312657590|2985516 said:

Another thing about the tiara/neklace bit is that it makes the pieces more versatile. If you are going to spend a bunch of money on a piece of jewelry, it's nice to be able to wear it different ways. If you want to wear a certain piece at a non-tiara event, you could wear it as a necklace. Some tiaras also break down into brooches or bracelets too.

Here's another good example, the George III Fringe tiara. It can be worn as a tiara (Queen Elizabeth II wore this for wedding) or dismounted from its frame and worn as a necklace. The top picture shows it as a tiara. The bottom picture shows it worn as a necklace (and QEII is wearing the Russian Kokoshink as a tiara in the second picture)

georgeiiifringetiara.jpg

georgeiiifringeneckalce.jpg

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the eye candy! I only browsed the last 20 pages since I'm new to the thread.

I would like to comment on Catherine Middleton's "boring" jewelry - she's only thirty, with no career of her own, and her parents are first generation wealthy, if I'm not mistaken. How many unemployed daughters of flight attendants do you know with a box full of Cartier? :twirl:

So without a Middleton family history of jewelry, and a new husband, who though a prince, is two generations away from the good stuff and is actually only earning a military pilot's salary, I'd say her modest jewelry collection is to be expected. I would find it distasteful if William was buying her loads of expensive jewels with "Daddy's money".

PS- I agree that some of her skirts are too short, regardless of how great her legs look, but love to look at her anyway.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
neil31uk|1312633063|2985361 said:
A tiara that belonged to Princess Marie Boneparte, a great-grand nices of Emporor Napoleon I.

Prin%20Marie%20Bonaparte%20Tiara.jpg

Tell me a bit more about this one...it looks like it would sit really high above the head. Is it just an optical illusion with how the back part is bent and curved? I know one criticism some of us have had about the Countess of Wessex's wedding tiara is how high it sits and it never looks like the frame is properly covered with her hair. I think there might be a similar problem with this tiara.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure|1312673046|2985630 said:
I would find it distasteful if William was buying her loads of expensive jewels with "Daddy's money".

We had a similar comment over on the "Tiaras" thread when the Westminister Pearl Parure went up for auction. Danny summed it up best..."Buying an insanely expensive tiara at auction for Kate would = huge PR fail."

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1312653535|2985490 said:
I did it again. My dry sense of humor made people think I was serious. I apologize.
Awww, Deb -- I feel like hanging myself with those proverbial pearls! What is the matter with me? My humor gets me in giggles often when people don't know I'm kidding -- one reason I love the Brits, with their dry ways. I apologize for getting huffy over nada. Maybe I haven't had enough sleep -- thunder all night with an old frantic dog, distressing & sad for the poor guy.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results