shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1311888932|2979242 said:
It has probably been done for ages, Danny. Louis XIV did it with the French Blue (now the Hope) & other stones, the Czars continually in their history. QV did a lot of gem-exchanging. Back as far as Elizabethan times, stones would be taken from one setting & put into another. Even for RFs it is too expensive to buy all new gems whenever styles change or the piece goes to a new wife with different tastes. I imagine that kind of extends to gifts by custom.

When jewels are given, say by one royal to another as w/Diana's Saudi stuff, the idea must be different than if you buy a ring for your aunt -- to provide good stones & valuable settings with the idea that the recipient may want to mess around with them. Not only are tastes different, but requirements for jewelry wear vary depending on the culture & the person's duties & appearance. Since nearly all RFs re-use stones, it's probably assumed that this may happen. The goal would be to provide excellent material for them to work with -- if they like the piece as is, great, but not essential.

Among families, it's probably the same as with you & me: pieces designed by Prince Albert for QV would be meant to please her as they are & though I don't know for sure, she's likely not to have changed those (at least for enough years so she could say, "Think I'll update this lovely thing a bit...") Even the QM got herself a new e-ring. I always wondered how she presented to Bertie that she wasn't nuts about the one he gave her -- or he may have shrugged & said, "Suit yourself, dear."

--- Laurie

famous redesigns are
the Brasilian Aquamarines, I think it was discussed some sites ago, to make a complete set.
and the Burmese Ruby Tiara, as QEtQM used the Oriental Circlet at this time and no other ruby tiara was there.
and the opal set parure which Queen Alexandra set with Rubies (O.Circlet, necklace, brooch and earrings).

and my dear friend Queen Mary - changed and redesignd pieces some, only for one event. and some pieces like the Cullinan brooches show still the hooks to hang each stone together.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311871882|2979013 said:
How about the Meander tiara for Zara's wedding? It is just right for a young woman, still looks very modern (compared to the Victorian, etc., styles of others in the family). It belonged originally to her gr-grandmother, Princess Andrew of Greece (why was she called Princess Andrew instead of Princess Alice, when she was born Princess of Battenburg -- a Princess in her own right?), came to HM as a wedding present, and belongs now to Zara's mother, who has worn it often.

This way of styling women has, as many other things, German roots. It was normal to see a post card/official photo labeled Prinzessin Heinrich/Oskar/August Wilhelm/whatever von Preußen. Even Queen Victoria's daughters Helena & Beatrice were stryled as Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein & Princess Henry of Battenberg respectively in Britain, not to forget Kaiserin Friedrich, aka Victoria, Princess Royal. Today, however, this only done by the British court, and that's why many photos of the Greek royal ladies have the text: Princess Andrew/Nicholas of Greece (& Denmark), even thoug in Greece they were know by Princess [Greek verstion of their own names] of Greece & Denmark. This still applies to Constantine II's daughters-in-law, Marie-Chantal and Tatiana.

Hope this complicated matter is now a bit clearer to you, dear Laurie!
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are two photos where one can clearly see the text in Greek and in French:

ΗΑΒΥΗ Πριγκίπισσα Αλίκη
SA[R] la Princesse Alice
Prss_Alice_of_Greece.jpg

ΗΑΒΥΗ Πριγκίπισσα Ελένα
SA[R] la Princesse Hélène
psseHelene.jpg

Bobby

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1311844085|2978748 said:
Welcome here, collier! And thanks for the words about the relations between the two Duchesses.

collier|1311815252|2978469 said:
I am going to have to retract my agreement. They are not the same earrings. In the black and white picture, the lower part has four prongs holding the sapphire. Catherine's earrings have about twice as many prongs.

Thet's the exact reason why I wrote: "The earrings may not be the same as the ones worn by Diana in the photos, yet the stones they are made of most likely belonged to Diana"

Bobby

Ok, this subject was actually featured on our news station the other day! The said Catherine's earrings were once Diana's favorite stud sapphire earrings and she had them modified to wear as drop earrings. So perhaps when they made them into the drop style, they may have also added prongs. Just sharing what I heard, since I recalled this discussion and debate! :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1311888932|2979242 said:
It has probably been done for ages, Danny. Louis XIV did it with the French Blue (now the Hope) & other stones, the Czars continually in their history. QV did a lot of gem-exchanging. Back as far as Elizabethan times, stones would be taken from one setting & put into another. Even for RFs it is too expensive to buy all new gems whenever styles change or the piece goes to a new wife with different tastes. I imagine that kind of extends to gifts by custom.

When jewels are given, say by one royal to another as w/Diana's Saudi stuff, the idea must be different than if you buy a ring for your aunt -- to provide good stones & valuable settings with the idea that the recipient may want to mess around with them. Not only are tastes different, but requirements for jewelry wear vary depending on the culture & the person's duties & appearance. Since nearly all RFs re-use stones, it's probably assumed that this may happen. The goal would be to provide excellent material for them to work with -- if they like the piece as is, great, but not essential.

Among families, it's probably the same as with you & me: pieces designed by Prince Albert for QV would be meant to please her as they are & though I don't know for sure, she's likely not to have changed those (at least for enough years so she could say, "Think I'll update this lovely thing a bit...") Even the QM got herself a new e-ring. I always wondered how she presented to Bertie that she wasn't nuts about the one he gave her -- or he may have shrugged & said, "Suit yourself, dear."

--- Laurie

Very well said, Laurie!

Re Queen Victoria and altering - I doubt it very much that she had anything that her most beloved husband - The Prince Consort - designed for her, esp after his premature death. And there's a reason for that - apart from the santimental value, Prince Albert had geat taste and most of the things he had made are quite appealing, to me at least.

As to the Saudi sapphires - If I was the (then) Crown Prince of SA, I'd rather the recepint had some alternations made, that never wearing (parts of) the set.

Bobby

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
and Princess Andrew's Greek Key Tiara WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

article-2020476-0D3ABC3700000578-756_634x522.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, are we geniuses or what? The Meander tiara!

And in the meantime.....

article-2020476-0D3A8F0800000578-8_634x546.jpg

article-2020476-0D3A77B200000578-943_634x386.jpg

article-2020476-0D3AC1CA00000578-61_306x748.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful diamond earrings on display.

When will the fascination with fascinators please end?

15550261236_Z2QjH.jpg

image-2-for-royal-wedding-zara-phillips-and-mike-tindall-gallery-941965642.jpg

collier

Shiny_Rock
Are those new earrings on Catherine? They don't look like her wedding earrings...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
collier|1312053349|2980628 said:
Are those new earrings on Catherine? They don't look like her wedding earrings...

That's because they aren't the wedding earrings (currently on display at BP), collier. This is another pair of all diamond earrings, which we first saw in Canada last month. This is their secong public outing :)

Here's a close-up, though not quite the best:
katediamonderl.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1312048703|2980585 said:

When will the fascination with fascinators please end?

The earrings are ofter seen on The Princess Royal, but I wonder if they might've been a wedding present to Zara...

Here's a close-up of the tiara and earrings:
365x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dcVaft3Hn6Cv/610x.jpg

PS: +1 about the fascinators, though rarely they look nice. Where are the wide-brimmed hats these days?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few photos of the royal party:

First is the happy mother - HRH The Princess Royal with a three row necklace of graduated pearls (worn back to front), her Grima earrings and a square diamond brooch with a welloy diamond in the center:
PssRoyal_Zara.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09Q6gMXdvHbE7/x610.jpg

Then comes The Queen with the traditional pearls and the Scallop brooch:
TheQueen_Zara1.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ay516l7aI00R/x610.jpg
Close-up of the brooch:
TheQueen_Zara.jpg

The Duchess of Corwall's outfit was first worn at Trooping the Colour in 2008. I wasn't mad about the flower exposion on her head back then, don't like it now either. But I must note that it complements the pink topaz choker, which would've looked odd without it:
DoC_Zara.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0f679Vl50O82W/x610.jpg

The only member of HM's extended family was The Lady Sarah Chatto, who once again wore Queen Mary's pearl and diamond necklace and earrings, with Queen Elizabeth's pearl drop and Princess Margaret's pearl and diamond star brooch. Lady Sarah also wore a bracelet (diamonds?):
LadySarah_Zara.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gZe4l359d736/x610.jpg

PS: Mrs Peter Phillips was also there and wore her wedding earrings, but I've not seen a good photo yet.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
My previous post made me think just how many generations of members of the British royal family were represented at the wedding? We can imediately say - three - The Queen & The Duke, their children and some of the grandchildren. But I'd also add The late Queen Mother via her brooch and pendant, and Queen Mary via Lady Sarah's necklace and earrings. We can also add Princess Alice, whose tiara was used, and who was a close relation to the royal family.

Would you agree, or is this a very stupid thing to think?

Regards,
Bobby

collier

Shiny_Rock
I agree whole heartedly! What a beautiful and astute sentiment. At my own wedding I wore items from both my side and my husband's side of the family to include members who could not be present, like his grandmother's ring that was passed to her from her great aunt and my grandmother's bracelet (on my dad's side) and the antique lace veil worn by all brides for the last 100 years on my mom's side.

It is a pity granny's chips weren't the momento chosen to represent continuity at Zara's wedding. I do like seeing them worn

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312063843|2980718 said:
The earrings are ofter seen on The Princess Royal, but I wonder if they might've been a wedding present to Zara...

Bobby

The earrings were Princess Anne's -- either borrowed or maybe Anne gave them to her as a wedding gift. They're beautiful!

And P.S. Bobby, it's a lovely thought that loved ones were there in their jewels.

princessanneearrings.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
One reason why I shouldn't write posts in the wee hours of the day are the spelling mistakes I make, another reason is that I simply forget what I wanted to write... So, yeasterday (July 30th) we acctually saw HRH The Duchess of Rothesay with an impressive choker (worn at Peter Phillips' weddign for the first time!) and HRH The Countess of Strathearn with lovely diamond earrings. The reason? They were at a wedding in Scotland:) (and in that way of thoughts - I was surprised that no members of the RF wore kilts)

On another note I was also surprissed that my (IMO) stupid idea that late members of the royal family were present at the wedding via their jewels was seen as a lovely thought, a beautiful and astute sentiment. Makes me glad and I happy that I didn't hesitate much before posting :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1312127094|2981079 said:
The earrings were Princess Anne's -- either borrowed or maybe Anne gave them to her as a wedding gift. They're beautiful!

And P.S. Bobby, it's a lovely thought that loved ones were there in their jewels.

These are the earrings that I had in mind, Laurie! Thanks for this gorgeous photo of The Princess Royal from 1973.

Here's what The DM has to offer us about the Meander tiara - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-bride-borrowed-great-grandmothers-tiara.html
A pity that we don't have photos of The Duchess of Edinburgh with this piece. I think it would've suited her.

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know anything about the necklace the Princess Royal is wearing in the vogue photograph? Is there a better picture of it? Is it a family piece, borrowed from a jeweler, etc.? Thanks so much.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the Queen's brooch that Lady Sarah Chatto is wearing?

ETA: I see above it is "Princess Margaret's pearl and diamond star brooch"

The Queen has a very similar brooch.

lady-sarah-chatto.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1312065291|2980737 said:
PS: Mrs Peter Phillips was also there and wore her wedding earrings, but I've not seen a good photo yet.

I don't know if you consider this photo, "good' or not, Bobby, but I saw a couple that were less flattering! I think Mrs. Phillips looks very attractive in this picture although the website from which I took the photograph criticized her outfit as being too much like a business suit with a beach hat! (The same website also criticized Lady Sarah Chatto, with whom she is pictured, for wearing white to a wedding.)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

AutumnPhillipsandLadySarahChatto.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1312207743|2981579 said:
Is that the Queen's brooch that Lady Sarah Chatto is wearing?

ETA: I see above it is "Princess Margaret's pearl and diamond star brooch"

The Queen has a very similar brooch.

WOW! Where did you find this close-up of Lady Sarah, TL? Are there other photos of other attendees?

Here's a photo for those who've not seen Princess Margaret wearing the brooch:
52107313.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/52107313/Tim-Graham-Photo-Library

BTW, this seems to be a rather common design - The Queen, The Princess Royal, Lady Sarah, Princess Firyal (with a total of 3!) and many other people have such brooches.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1312209577|2981592 said:
I don't know if you consider this photo, "good' or not, Bobby, but I saw a couple that were less flattering! I think Mrs. Phillips looks very attractive in this picture although the website from which I took the photograph criticized her outfit as being too much like a business suit with a beach hat! (The same website also criticized Lady Sarah Chatto, with whom she is pictured, for wearing white to a wedding.)

Deb/AGBF

LOL This certanly isn't a good photo in terms of clarity, Deb. I don't want to imagine the others :razz:
When I fist saw Autumn, I thought that her outfit wasn't the most appropriate for a British society wedding and rather reserved, compared to what we've seen so far on her. Here's a clear photo, showing the pearl and diamond earrings:
autumnphillips-Zara.jpg

PS: I had the same thought about Lady Sarah.

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1312281434|2982187 said:
AGBF|1312209577|2981592 said:

LOL This certanly isn't a good photo in terms of clarity, Deb. I don't want to imagine the others :razz:
When I fist saw Autumn, I thought that her outfit wasn't the most appropriate for a British society wedding and rather reserved, compared to what we've seen so far on her. Here's a clear photo, showing the pearl and diamond earrings:
autumnphillips-Zara.jpg

PS: I had the same thought about Lady Sarah.

Bobby

I love your photo, Bobby, and I assure you that the other photos I saw and did not post were far less flattering (to use a euphemistic phrase) than the photo I posted. The photo you posted shows Autumn Phillips as the beautiful young woman she is (but perhaps all you were looking for was the clarity of the diamond and pearl earrings in the photo)!

Deb/AGBF

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
4 days, 6 attempts to get an IV in my arm, and not one but TWO surgeries later, I am finally home and on the mend. The big problem was that the kidney stone was not 4-5 mm as the doctor thought, but rather 9 mm across. It was bigger than my 1/3 carat diamond in my wedding ring.

Thank you again for all the thoughts and prayers these last few weeks! I'll post pictures of my new "royal jewels" as they come out.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1312047991|2980578 said:
Yes, are we geniuses or what? The Meander tiara!

Yes, we are! We had this pegged last week!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312063843|2980718 said:
JewelFreak|1312048703|2980585 said:

Here's a close-up of the tiara and earrings:
365x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dcVaft3Hn6Cv/610x.jpg

Bobby

I doubt that the Princess Royal gifted the earrings to Zara. As we all know, Zara is not really a girly girl, into fancy jewelry or anything. Really, would she have that many occasions to wear them to? If she wants to borrow them, I'm sure her mother would loan them again.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1312065758|2980743 said:
My previous post made me think just how many generations of members of the British royal family were represented at the wedding? We can imediately say - three - The Queen & The Duke, their children and some of the grandchildren. But I'd also add The late Queen Mother via her brooch and pendant, and Queen Mary via Lady Sarah's necklace and earrings. We can also add Princess Alice, whose tiara was used, and who was a close relation to the royal family.

Would you agree, or is this a very stupid thing to think?

Regards,
Bobby

Most definately NOT a stupid thing to think my dear Bobby! Remember why William picked his mother's engagement ring for Catherine. Jewelry is a great way to include those who cannot be at the wedding in person. I wore my grandmother's pink tourmaline ring at my wedding for that very reasonn.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I was very struck by the marked resemblance of Lady Sara Chatto to her mother, the late Princess Margaret!

ladysarahchatto.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I found this picture of the Princess Royal very touching. It is one of the most human, emotional pictures I think I've ever seen of her. I remember seeing the same look on my mother's face at my wedding...

princess-anne--a.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results