Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12201 posts • Page 219 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: Royal Jewels

Post by Imdanny » August 3rd, 2010, 1:25 am
Written by JewelFreak:Danny, you have a point; we did get off the track there on Diana. But Maria's right too -- otherwise (and with some reason) all American jewels would be off-topic since we have no legitimate royalty, only the pretend variety. I didn't find her post a problem; in fact it dealt with the very things I thought when I first saw that photo -- the belt was delicious & possibly not fake but borrowed, as even genuine Royals do, and whether her jewelry was right or not is an ok subject with me. I do agree that a yabberyabber about the wedding itself isn't the subject here -- and that hasn't happened. If it does, squawk!

I'm only asking that we keep the thread on topic- royal jewels. That's just my personal opinion. If some of you want to turn this thread into a thread to post about royals, like other forums that are on the internet for this purpose, then I guess go ahead. It's not like I'm going to report anyone's post for being off topic or anything. I'm only saying that pages of photos of royals and discussions of royals isn't why this thread was started and is off topic. I don't mean any personal offense to anyone. This is just how I feel about it.

Danny

Post by Imdanny » August 3rd, 2010, 6:45 am
This has been posted before but I posted it in the pear lovers thread so I'll post it here.

Cullinan I

Post by JewelFreak » August 3rd, 2010, 7:05 am
Written by Imdanny:I'm only asking that we keep the thread on topic- royal jewels. That's just my personal opinion. If some of you want to turn this thread into a thread to post about royals, like other forums that are on the internet for this purpose, then I guess go ahead. It's not like I'm going to report anyone's post for being off topic or anything. I'm only saying that pages of photos of royals and discussions of royals isn't why this thread was started and is off topic. I don't mean any personal offense to anyone. This is just how I feel about it.

Danny

Magnificent pic of Cullinan I, Danny. I could stare at that for hours. Thanks.

Of course you didn't offend anybody! And thinking about it, I agree with your outlook. You've been here a lot longer than I have & contribute more valuable info than I do. What attracts me to this thread is seeing some of the most beautiful & skillfully crafted pieces ever created. You're correct that photos of someone with, say, their new baby, etc., belong in a general royal topic forum. If it doesn't have to do with gems, it ought to be somewhere else. The bit on Princess Victoria's wedding was what I like to see -- photos of the guests & family wearing their jewelry -- and discussion of them. I learn a lot. Looking back at the beginning of the thread, on the other hand, I noticed there has always been some discussion of the owners of certain pieces, as their history is part of the story. For me, here, it needs to be about the gems primarily, not about royalty in general. That's only my opinion & anybody is welcome to disagree & I'll pipe down.

--- Laurie

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 2:47 pm
Written by dianab:Thanks you all that post the pix of Soraya.
[quote=prince.of.preslav]I forgot to say that Farah has also worn the emerald and diamond scroll tiara from Soraya&Reza's wedding at the Silver wedding celabrations of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard. I have a photo if anyone is interested.

PLEASE Bobby, post everything/anything about Soraya, Fawzia & Farrah.

I know the story of Soraya, but not much about Fawzia & Farrah, why they are/were also ill-fated?

Diana[/quote]

Hi Diana! If you're interested in Soraya there's an interesting Italian film in 2 parts about her. It was filmed (mainly) in Bulgaria and Anna Valle is in the main role.

Ill-fated - As you know, the main goal for the Shah was to have a son - an heir to the Peacock Throne. That's the only reason why he married three times - firstly to the Egyptian princess Fawzia, then to Soraya Esfandiary-Bakhtiari and last to Farah Diba. His first wife gave birth to a girl - Princess Shahnaz - and that was the reason for their divorce. Later in life, the impovrished Princess and her daughter had to sell their jewels. Then comes Soraya - Reza Pahlavi is mad about her and she about him. Everything is perfect but she can't have children and the fairytale is gone... And I guess you know the rest about her life, love affairs, etc. BTW, I once read that Reza loved her till the reast of his life. And finally it's Farah's turn - a new fairytale - the wedding, the son, the coronation, the Persepolis... and then BUM - end of the empire, the exile, the death of the Shah and a few years ago the death of Princess Leila. Thst's why I wrote that these beauties were/are ill-fated. ;)

Farah wearing Soraya's wedding tiara and a most splendid set of emeralds and diamonds:
Attachments
1962juliana.jpg
1962juliana.jpg (290.85 KiB) Viewed 787 times
30401015.jpg
30401015.jpg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 787 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 3:34 pm
Written by Imdanny:I'm only asking that we keep the thread on topic- royal jewels. That's just my personal opinion. If some of you want to turn this thread into a thread to post about royals, like other forums that are on the internet for this purpose, then I guess go ahead. It's not like I'm going to report anyone's post for being off topic or anything. I'm only saying that pages of photos of royals and discussions of royals isn't why this thread was started and is off topic. I don't mean any personal offense to anyone. This is just how I feel about it.

Danny

Danny, as much as I want to agree with you I can't. It's impossible not to talk about the wearer/owner of certain jewels. You have witnesed not one or two discussions about Camilla, her relations with the Royal Family and what she did to Diana, just after a photo and a few kind words. And there are other examples - look at my previous post about the wives of the las Shah of Iran, the discussion about The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor, about Princess Mabel's (lack) of style, Asian crowns etc. I for one do not see nothing wrong with that and the mention of the wedding of former US President Clinton's daughter. Indeed for an American, a country that has never had its own royalty, this wedding i the closest experiance to what the Swedes had 6 weeks ago ;) And a clarification of who is who and his/her relations with the family is sometimes needed with minr royals or other royal descendats.

Bobby

She wasn't royal but was marriead to a Danish royal descend. On 25 July 2010 Countess Ruth of Rosenborg died at the age of 85. The late Coutess was married to the former Prince Flemming of Denmark, who renaunced his titles upon their marriage in 1949.Count Fleming died in 2002. They had 3 sons and a daughter. The late Countess was close to the Danish and Norwegian royal families.
Attachments
cssruthstartiaraa.jpg
cssruthstartiaraa.jpg (243.05 KiB) Viewed 778 times

Post by LadyMaria » August 3rd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Here is Queen Noor of Jordan wearing a fringe tiara.

Would she be considered "Queen Mother?" She's the widow of a monarch, but not the mother of the current king. Or would it be more appropriate to say "Dowager Queen?"
Attachments
noorformalfringe.jpg
noorformalfringe.jpg (5.64 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by LadyMaria » August 3rd, 2010, 4:09 pm
I think this one will come out a little bigger....it's more of a scroll tiara.
Attachments
sunburst-1.jpg
sunburst-1.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by LadyMaria » August 3rd, 2010, 4:11 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav:

Farah wearing Soraya's wedding tiara and a most splendid set of emeralds and diamonds:

What was the event in this picture? That has to be Queen Elizabeth II in the lower front right wearing the Vladimir tiara...and I think it is Queen Beatrix behind Farah and the Shah? This had to be a big deal for so many monarchs to be present!
Lady Maria

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 4:19 pm
I think that Her Majesty Queen Noor of Jordan is enough to destinguish her from The Queen of Jordan (Rania). I don't think think that Queen Dowager is appealing to Queen Noor and to her regret she isn't mother of the current monarch.

Another photo of Queen Noor with the modern fringe tiara and diamond riviere:
Attachments
JOR%20Queen%20Noor.JPG
JOR%20Queen%20Noor.JPG (71.22 KiB) Viewed 772 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 4:24 pm
Queen Noor wearing a diamond scroll tiara. The photo is from the Jordanian State Visit to Luxembourg in November 1985:
Attachments
27_-_reina_noor_de_jordaniai.jpg
27_-_reina_noor_de_jordaniai.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 772 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 4:29 pm
Wearing a pair of long pearl, diamond and emerald earrings, a favourite of mine:
Attachments
Save+Children+Awards+Ceremony+4jPpG1uR9Hbl.jpg
Save+Children+Awards+Ceremony+4jPpG1uR9Hbl.jpg (174.12 KiB) Viewed 771 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 4:32 pm
Wearing a necklace and earrings with her favourite stones - Persian turquoises:
Attachments
54rr7.jpg
54rr7.jpg (54.43 KiB) Viewed 770 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 4:36 pm
A brooch in diamonds with a photo of the late King Husein:
Attachments
6067306.jpg
6067306.jpg (136.19 KiB) Viewed 770 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 5:00 pm
Written by LadyMaria:

What was the event in this picture? That has to be Queen Elizabeth II in the lower front right wearing the Vladimir tiara...and I think it is Queen Beatrix behind Farah and the Shah? This had to be a big deal for so many monarchs to be present!

As I mentioned earilier the photo is from the gala for Silver Wedding Anniversary of Queen Juliana and Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands in 1962. It's been a quite grand and glittering occasion with representatives from (all most) all monarchies in Europe and some in Asia. Before the gala (or maybe after) the royal guests had a tour with barges through the channels of Amsterdam. Actually, this is one of the few continetial royal events that Elizabeth II attended herself with the Duke of Edinburgh, the Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra.

Here's a video of the guests arriving - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68792

A group photo with the guests:
Attachments
JBroyalguests1962.jpg
JBroyalguests1962.jpg (227 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Last edited by prince.of.preslav on August 3rd, 2010, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:05 pm
Bobby, YOU ROCKS!!!!!

Thank you very much for pics & for info on former queens of Iran

About Fawzia, I only knew she had a daughter ...
Attachments
neug0n.gif
neug0n.gif (148.34 KiB) Viewed 769 times
nd9d1g.jpg
nd9d1g.jpg (52.6 KiB) Viewed 769 times
ngr3mx.jpg
ngr3mx.jpg (124.56 KiB) Viewed 769 times
o6mq1g.jpg
o6mq1g.jpg (74.05 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:09 pm
Princess Caroline of Monaco & pic of Farrah
Attachments
oh5tgn.jpg
oh5tgn.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 769 times
orig_C_0_articolo_293460_immagine.jpg
orig_C_0_articolo_293460_immagine.jpg (90.62 KiB) Viewed 769 times
orig_C_0_articolo_371069_listatakes_itemTake_1_immaginetake.jpg
orig_C_0_articolo_371069_listatakes_itemTake_1_immaginetake.jpg (76.96 KiB) Viewed 769 times
Persepolis-Generation5.jpg
Persepolis-Generation5.jpg (235.63 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 3rd, 2010, 5:10 pm
Another video from 1962 - this time with the royal quests in the Amstel hotel - http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=82997

Bobby

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm
Caroline

1 pic of Diana
Attachments
pre-SEEGER00161662.jpg
pre-SEEGER00161662.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 769 times
princess_caroline_gallery_20.jpg
princess_caroline_gallery_20.jpg (43.93 KiB) Viewed 769 times
prv_aci_glo_0010999.jpg
prv_aci_glo_0010999.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 769 times
prvaciglo05859987no.jpg
prvaciglo05859987no.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:17 pm
Caroline & Grace
Attachments
prv_aci_glo_0585962.jpg
prv_aci_glo_0585962.jpg (49.28 KiB) Viewed 768 times
prv_aci_glo_0585998.jpg
prv_aci_glo_0585998.jpg (46.11 KiB) Viewed 768 times
prv_aci_glo_0586004.jpg
prv_aci_glo_0586004.jpg (38.73 KiB) Viewed 768 times
rainertributegrace16.jpg
rainertributegrace16.jpg (78.85 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:21 pm
Grace & Stephanie
Attachments
rainertributegrace11.jpg
rainertributegrace11.jpg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 768 times
rainertributegrace22.jpg
rainertributegrace22.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 768 times
rainertributegrace4.jpg
rainertributegrace4.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 768 times
rjgile.jpg
rjgile.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Post by dianab » August 3rd, 2010, 5:49 pm
Princess Caroline
Attachments
scan0007carosmilegala.jpg
scan0007carosmilegala.jpg (345.74 KiB) Viewed 763 times
sg09k7.jpg
sg09k7.jpg (201.07 KiB) Viewed 763 times
vg0nqc.jpg
vg0nqc.jpg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 763 times
scan0091carocograce.jpg
scan0091carocograce.jpg (405.85 KiB) Viewed 763 times

Post by Imdanny » August 3rd, 2010, 6:46 pm

Danny

Danny, as much as I want to agree with you I can't. It's impossible not to talk about the wearer/owner of certain jewels. You have witnesed not one or two discussions about Camilla, her relations with the Royal Family and what she did to Diana, just after a photo and a few kind words. And there are other examples - look at my previous post about the wives of the las Shah of Iran, the discussion about The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor, about Princess Mabel's (lack) of style, Asian crowns etc. I for one do not see nothing wrong with that and the mention of the wedding of former US President Clinton's daughter. Indeed for an American, a country that has never had its own royalty, this wedding i the closest experiance to what the Swedes had 6 weeks ago ;) And a clarification of who is who and his/her relations with the family is sometimes needed with minr royals or other royal descendats.

Bobby

Bobby, I haven't said, and if you look at the post I wrote to you about this, I think you'll see what I'm about to say is true, in fairness, that it should not be possible to talk about the wearer/ owner of certain jewels and their family members including their family members throughout history.

What I said is the uncontroversial statement that royal jewels are the topic of this forum- so if royals and the history of a jewel and the history of a royal family's ownership of the jewel come into it, that's fine with me. I've never objected to that.

On the hand, pages and pages of pictures of people who just happen to be royals, who of course just happen to be wearing jewelry, jewelry that we know little or nothing about, and pages and pages about royals, and their appearances, and the clothes they are wearing, these things I think very clearly belong at the Royal Foums and not in a thread about jewels.

I've never said that every single post should be a picture of a jewel and that we shouldn't show pictures of royals wearing jewels (and you know I've made posts of royals wearing jewels myself).

I'd only like to ask that we stay on topic and don't go off into these other areas that are off topic here.

I hope I've explained myself better now so that you can agree or disagree with what it is I'm actually trying to say.

Danny
Last edited by Imdanny on August 3rd, 2010, 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Imdanny » August 3rd, 2010, 6:47 pm
Written by JewelFreak:

Danny

Magnificent pic of Cullinan I, Danny. I could stare at that for hours. Thanks.

Of course you didn't offend anybody! And thinking about it, I agree with your outlook. You've been here a lot longer than I have & contribute more valuable info than I do. What attracts me to this thread is seeing some of the most beautiful & skillfully crafted pieces ever created. You're correct that photos of someone with, say, their new baby, etc., belong in a general royal topic forum. If it doesn't have to do with gems, it ought to be somewhere else. The bit on Princess Victoria's wedding was what I like to see -- photos of the guests & family wearing their jewelry -- and discussion of them. I learn a lot. Looking back at the beginning of the thread, on the other hand, I noticed there has always been some discussion of the owners of certain pieces, as their history is part of the story. For me, here, it needs to be about the gems primarily, not about royalty in general. That's only my opinion & anybody is welcome to disagree & I'll pipe down.

--- Laurie

Laurie, you understand where I'm coming from. Thank you.

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 4th, 2010, 3:50 am
Danny, you sure have a good point and I quite agree with it. Still, if you look at the begining of this thread when LA was still an active poster and I was not here yet, you'll see that are many photos of royal ladies wearing jewes in daytime (custome jewel mostly) and (as Laurie said) a talk about the owners... Indeed this thread (and you acknowledge that) is not only about photos of royal parures and discussion on them. But it also is not about the US Presidents' daughters.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » August 4th, 2010, 3:53 am
Today is the 110th anniversary of the birth of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother
Attachments
QM2001walmer castle.jpg
QM2001walmer castle.jpg (541.97 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Post by JewelFreak » August 4th, 2010, 11:02 am
I see merit in both opinions. Discussions of royal families & histories does add background to the jewels & I think that's interesting as well as important. But I can do without reams of photos of family groups unless they add to or illustrate the jewelry discussion -- we probably all get those from the same sources anyhow & can go there to see them. I shouldn't think a happy medium on that would be hard to achieve. And now I'm shutting up!

I'm in love with the sapphire & diamond necklace Caroline is wearing in several of those pics. It is elegant plus! Anybody know anything about it?

--- Laurie

Post by Imdanny » August 4th, 2010, 11:34 am
I'll say no more about it. I'm sure glad you're back, Bobby. Thanks, everyone for letting me say what I wanted to say. :))

Post by TL » August 4th, 2010, 3:03 pm
As I see it, this thread is 219 pages long :shock: It's almost like a forum within a forum, and side discussions often occur in these types of scenarios. You should see our neighbor, the celebrity jewels thread!! However, as far as royal jewels are concerned, this one thread has a great deal of some of the best information on royal jewels anywhere on the net. It's a plethora of info and I'm grateful to everyone that has participated, like Danny, Bobby and others. I just think we need more medieval jewelry. :Up_to_something: JK. LOL!

Post by loriken214 » August 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm
As a jewelry fanatic and Royal watcher, I'm excited to see all of the wonderful photos and details about the Royals themselves and their jewelry style. This has been a fun thread, so far, and I hope we can continue to post photos and share information without being afraid of insulting someone.

Case in point, the many discussions/photos of Mabel and her bows! I found this to be lots of fun.

Crown Princess Mary is my favorite royal since Diana is no longer with us. I posted the photo of Mary and her family because I had never seen one of her children. I was amazed to see that she wore very little jewelry. She doesn't have to wear a load of jewels to be beautiful....though she has a boatload of them in her jewelry box.

The historical info is priceless, but the new discussions/photos are exciting, too.

Just my opinion. =)

Lori

Lori

Post by alexander1917 » August 5th, 2010, 6:33 am
HM found her grandmothers (Queen Mary) brooch ins storage. The "Womwn of Hampshire" pendant / (altered later by QM into a brooch) was a wedding gift in 1893.
Attachments
queen mary pendant brooch.jpg
queen mary pendant brooch.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 509 times

12201 posts • Page 219 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 217, 218, 219, 220, 221, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces