carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 8:50:18 AM
Author: LadyMaria

And I couldn''t help but notice on this same picture of Mabel and Viktor & Rudolf that her shoes have what appear to be jewel encrusted

BOWS!!!!!! ARRRRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! NOT THE BOWS AGAIN!!!!!! PLEASE ANYTHING BUT MORE BOWS!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

32.gif

*runs around the room frantcially trying to escape the nightmare of BOWS*

BTW...still looking for the camera cord...I''m thinking my prince consort left it at work....

LOL As a man I rarely notice (woman''s) shoes. But I gave the photo a second glimpse and saw the jewelled bows once I read your post. It seems Princess Mabel is really fond of them. So fond that they''ve became a mania for her...

I personaly have always had a soft spot for jewelled bows, especially in form of brooches. You may start hating me for what I''ll do, but here are my favourites from the Windsor collection (just to stay on-topic, you know!):

Queen Alexandra wearing the three (!) bow brooches from Queen Victoria:

QA8C03.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to add that it''s nice to see that you''re refering to your husband as Prince Consort! You definitely made my day with this post
3.gif

Princess Margaret''s diamond and sapphire Art Deco bb, auctioned by her children:

d4717999x.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And finaly Camilla (and QEQM) wearing a diamond bow brooch that was a wedding present to Lady Elizabeth in 1923:

hello_cmailla_bow1.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 11:35:51 AM
Author: prince.of.preslav

LOL As a man I rarely notice (woman''s) shoes. But I gave the photo a second glimpse and saw the jewelled bows once I read your post. It seems Princess Mabel is really fond of them. So fond that they''ve became a mania for her...

I personaly have always had a soft spot for jewelled bows, especially in form of brooches. You may start hating me for what I''ll do, but here are my favourites from the Windsor collection (just to stay on-topic, you know!):

There is a HUGE difference between a bow brooch, tastefully done, and in moderation. None of the esteemable ladies you posted had a wedding dress with 248 bows in addition to horrific fashion sense in general.

I really like Princess Margaret''s diamond and sapphire bow...I missed my chance to bid on it!

15.gif

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/26/2010 9:27:00 PM
Author: Imdanny
For TL,

http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/CROWNS+on+the+Tudors

There is a slight inaccuracy on the page of this link, in that the page shows illustrations of coronets of English nobility at the top. this is wrong as these did not come into force until 1661 when Charles II became king after the restoration - some time after Henry VIII ruled! in fact coronets prior to this were very different, for example, Dukes were allowed gems to be set in them and carried a gold rod, not unlike a sceptre.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE bow brooches, especially Queen Alexandra's -- which look best where they show up more, but that's the way they wore them then. Agreed, though, MJ, that bows on clothing need to be done with care. And never, please, big ones!!!

QEQM didn't wear that bow brooch (seen on Camilla too) often, did she? I don't recall seeing it.

One comment on the Repossi ring from Dodi -- I think you were all too kind. It is an EYESORE!
I was stunned when I saw a photo of it when its existence first came to light after Diana's death. No way would she have worn that awful gigantic thing. It looks like a fraternity ring encrusted with diamonds -- huge, ugly and totally garish. Diana was far too elegant to get caught with something so gaudy. (Hey, want to know how I really feel about it?) I read too that it was found in the car, Bobby, which shows she wasn't wearing it or it would have been on her.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady Maria,
A portrait of Queen Elizabeth just for you since you "love" bows so much . LOL!

bows_bows_everywhere.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 11:41:46 AM
And finaly Camilla (and QEQM) wearing a diamond bow brooch that was a wedding present to Lady Elizabeth in 1923:
The Queen Mum would be rolling over in her grave right now knowing that Camilla is wearing all her gems.
32.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 12:18:13 PM

There is a HUGE difference between a bow brooch, tastefully done, and in moderation. None of the esteemable ladies you posted had a wedding dress with 248 bows in addition to horrific fashion sense in general.

I really like Princess Margaret''s diamond and sapphire bow...I missed my chance to bid on it!

15.gif

Of course there''s a huge difference. No one ever doubed. I just think that you''ve developed a fobia from bows these days.

Here is Queen Silvia wearing red bows in her hair with the famed Luchtemberg sapphires:

2hniolo.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 2:56:21 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

The Queen Mum would be rolling over in her grave right now knowing that Camilla is wearing all her gems.
32.gif

Intersting to note that all three majour jewels worn by The Duchess of Cornwall (brooch, ring & necklace) came from the Queen Mother. Whether Her late Majesty is rolling in her grave now is something I don''t know.

I''ve wondered many times - Queen Elizabeth left all her personal jewels to her only surviving daughter - The Queen. She sure knew that her beloved grandson Charles really loves Mrs Parker-Bowls and that would probably marry her some day (after QEQM''s death). After this marriage and a possible succession by Charles he could freely let his beloved wife wear whatever piece of jewellery she might want to. Furthermore, it was The Queen''s decision to give the diamond ring to Charles, who in turn gave it to his fiancee. After the marriage we''ve seen Camilla wearing many jewels from Queen Mum''s collection. My point is that parhaps it was Queen Elizabeth''s personal decision to leave certain jewels for the use of the fure Princess of Wales, whoever she might be... And maybe we can regard these jewels as a form of acceptance from the royal family (The Queen in particular)? Don''t forget that Princes Willaiam and Henry have said that Camilla is a nice person, even cool I think they called her. What do you guys think?

The late Queen Mother wearing her wedding gift bow brooch:

1-QMBroochbow1.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I actually do like bows! Really I do!
3.gif
I have a black velvet bow on a barrette that is one of my favorites for quick pulling back my hair in my science class right before I blow something up. My wedding dress had a bow on the back (albeit ONE bow) that was similar to Sarah Ferguson''s bow on the back of her wedding dress. Heck, even this picture of QEI only has 15 bows on it and is quite passible, especially considering the styles of the 16th century.

The problem with Mabel is that 248 bows on one wedding dress is way WAY too much, and she wears them over...

05121704.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
...and over...

banty3.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
...and over...

PPE090620492.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:44:33 PM

Date: 6/27/2010 2:56:21 PM

32.gif

Intersting to note that all three majour jewels worn by The Duchess of Cornwall (brooch, ring & necklace) came from the Queen Mother. Whether Her late Majesty is rolling in her grave now is something I don''t know.

I''ve wondered many times - Queen Elizabeth left all her personal jewels to her only surviving daughter - The Queen. She sure knew that her beloved grandson Charles really loves Mrs Parker-Bowls and that would probably marry her some day (after QEQM''s death). After this marriage and a possible succession by Charles he could freely let his beloved wife wear whatever piece of jewellery she might want to. Furthermore, it was The Queen''s decision to give the diamond ring to Charles, who in turn gave it to his fiancee. After the marriage we''ve seen Camilla wearing many jewels from Queen Mum''s collection. My point is that parhaps it was Queen Elizabeth''s personal decision to leave certain jewels for the use of the fure Princess of Wales, whoever she might be... And maybe we can regard these jewels as a form of acceptance from the royal family (The Queen in particular)? Don''t forget that Princes Willaiam and Henry have said that Camilla is a nice person, even cool I think they called her. What do you guys think?

The late Queen Mother wearing her wedding gift bow brooch:
The Queen Mum supposedly HATED Camilla, so that''s why I said that. If The Queen Mum were still alive, I don''t think Camilla would be married to Prince Charles.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
...and over again (the bow on this outfit is on the front of the jacket...a little hard to see from this angle but it IS there)...

002382.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
...and even on her shoes...

002045.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:52:24 PM
Toto, I don''t think we''re in Kansas anymore.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
...and subjects her poor infant daughter to another plethora of bows on her christening gown that I just have to say STOP WITH THE BOWS ALREADY!!!!
32.gif

luanachristening.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:49:11 PM
...and over...
Is she a present for someone here?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2010 3:53:58 PM
...and subjects her poor infant daughter to another plethora of bows on her christening gown that I just have to say STOP WITH THE BOWS ALREADY!!!!
32.gif
Got your point, the woman really has a bow fetish. OMG!!
32.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 3:51:07 PM

The Queen Mum supposedly HATED Camilla, so that''s why I said that. If The Queen Mum were still alive, I don''t think Camilla would be married to Prince Charles.

I know that quite well, TL. That''s why I stated for the use of the fure Princess of Wales, whoever she might be.... And after her death, the Queen Mother couldn''t disegree on anything, could she? I was her daughter and sole heir (EII)''s decision that Camilla shall wear this and that piece. Ther Queen is sure aware of the alleged hate her mother had towards Camilla. So it''s The Queen to blame that Camilla''s wearing Queen Mum''s rocks. And of course Charles and Camilla weren''t going to get married if QEQM was still alive. After all, they married three years after the latter passed away.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
And when I say stop with bows already, I don''t mean posting pictures of bow brooches or pictures of people other than Mabel wearing bows in moderation. I just wish Mabel would figure out to stop with the blasted bows! And she doesn''t usually have great jewelry to counteract a bad outfit (the Ruby slippers do not count as jewelry)!

There''s a whole thread on TRF about Mabel''s fashion sense (or lack thereof)...it''s a pretty funny read!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the photos, MJ. I never realized Princess Mabel is sooo obsessed by bows. And the poor infant... She really should stop!

Date: 6/27/2010 3:52:24 PM

Aren't these the same as the ones from the photo with Viktor&Rudolf but in red?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Princess Margaret of the Netherlands wearing the small sapphire tiara for the first time and a quite nice dress, save for the huge bow in front (I think this one looks far bettr that most of Mabel''s clothes):

Margrietsapphiretiara.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Aren''t these the same as the ones from the photo with Viktor&Rudolf but in red?

Bobby

Sure looks like it to me!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Please explain to me who Mabel is????

Lori

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 7:35:01 PM
Author: loriken214
Please explain to me who Mabel is????

Lori

In a nutshell, Mabel is the wife of the 2nd son of Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Prince Johan Friso. Marrying Mabel caused him to lose his place in the Royal House and he is no longer in the line of succession. Their children, Luanna and Zaria, are not in the succession either.

The section on "Controversy" in the wikipedia article barely scratches the surface, especially considering that Mabel herself tried altering the wikipedia entry (see story at http://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/dut070831mc-redirected)

This story gives a much more detailed timeline of the rise of "Princess" Mabel.
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Columns/PandorasBox/041102.html

Hope this will give you some more insight!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2010 7:50:04 AM
Date: 6/26/2010 9:29:59 PM

Author: Imdanny

This was my second choice for an avatar.
3.gif

Very nice choice of avatar, Danny! I just hope you aren't as cruel to women as Henry VIII was. BTW, have you watched the series (The Tudors)? I personaly found it quite intersting.

Bobby

Bobby,

Thanks.

I'm not cruel to anyone. I can't imagine anyone committing acts of torture (and worse) the way Henry VIII did and is portrayed as doing in the mini-series.

I did watch it. I think history and even historical fiction are interesting. Men (of a certain social class since the others weren't allowed to wear any) had much better jewelry back then.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Alexander and MJ!
35.gif

I''ve been following along in this thread, but wanted someone to help me figure out this woman MABEL....she''s something else and I can''t imagine her being a part of a Royal House at all!

Queen Beatrix is a favorite of mine and I can just imagine what she must go through!

I had a Great Aunt Polly who was kinda like this, not with the bows though, and my mom used to say that "every family needs an Aunt Polly."

Lori

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results