clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And later her daughter wearing the same stomacher, earrings and tiara:

17080_660_660.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
This is Carina Axelsson - the girlfriend of Gustav, Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, son of Princess Benedikte, nephew of Margrethe II and Queen Anne-Marie. She is wearinh some Berleburg hairlooms including a small diamond and turquoise stomacher:

Carina Axelsson 11.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And last but not least is Queen Silvia of Sweden wearing the pink topaz brooch in Denmark two years ago (and many other times). Here she is wearing only the central pendant, though.

y2007queensilvia.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if you (laurensmama) meant living royals, but anyway I just couldn''t resist posting phis photo of Queen Juliana wearing the great (IMO) Mellerio parure:

U1782535.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2009 6:28:56 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
And speacing of Queens and corsage brooches here is the only picture of EII wearing The Chips the way her beloved Granny did. Lovely, don''t you think?

Yes. So do you mean to say that this necklace is comprised of all of the smaller stones from the Cullinan find?

robinj

Shiny_Rock
Queen Juliana can really carry off her stomacher!!
Thank you for proving me wrong - again!
2.gif

WhiteRose of York

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/28/2009 9:55:15 PM
Author: Imdanny

Date: 11/28/2009 6:28:56 PM
And speacing of Queens and corsage brooches here is the only picture of EII wearing The Chips the way her beloved Granny did. Lovely, don''t you think?

Yes. So do you mean to say that this necklace is comprised of all of the smaller stones from the Cullinan find?
"The Chips" is an ironical name for this brooch which consists of Cullinan III and IV, it is often called by The Queen, "Granny''s Chips". Queen Mary on important occasions would wear Cullinan I and II (usually seen in the crown regalia) as brooches - when compared to the size of I and II, their smaller siblings were caled "chips".

Incidentally, the bodices of many of Queen Mary''s dresses had to specially strengthened to take the weight of the jewels she wore.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Most of the old stomachers (QA and QM) could be demounted into several brooches. for example the cullinan heart brooch was the middle part of her emerald stomacher.
QA wore often the large diamond stomacher from QV ( HM wore the middle part recently..I think it was the French visit)

Has someone a closer look of the bracelet HM wore in TT? is could be may the choker from QM.

HM wore very seldom brooches in the middel. mostly on her left shoulder.

Immdanny: you''re right there a necklace contain smaller stones from the Cullinan, QM wore it in a picture during WWI with the Princes Royal, HM never wore it complain " it will touch the soup".

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
QM wearing the large Cullinan and the "chips" als pendant on the lowest necklace

QueenMaryCullinansItoIVcropped_600x600_100KB.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:23:04 AM
Author: alexander1917
Most of the old stomachers (QA and QM) ...

Has someone a closer look of the bracelet HM wore in TT? is could be may the choker from QM.

The ruby bracelet from the State banquet or the diamond one from the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting dinner?

Here is a picture of Queen Mary from the 1937 coronation wearing the Art Deco diamond bracelet from the second event in Trinidad and Tobago:

P.S. I love this photograph! One of the most glittering photos of a woman I've ever seen! Thanks God HM attended her son's coronation!

c37QMcirclet.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And here is a close up of the ruby and diamond bracelet (French state visit in 2008):

qeii22.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Anda clearer photo from the same occassion. We also see HM''s pearl tassel watch:

FrenchPresidentVisitMarch22008.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Stomachers, jeweled ones, aren''t very common nowadays...they were in the height of popularity in the 18th century, when stomachers were a common part of women''s clothing, regardless of class. Obviously, jeweled stomachers were only worn by the nobility who could afford them, but they''re still an impressive sight!

I''m not sure to whom this impressive stomacher belonged (I think it may be Habsburg) but it''s dazzling regardless.

dscf0277a.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
The Devonshires have a famous parure that includes a stomacher, as seen below.

devonshire.jpg

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
I think Queen Mary may be the most famous stomacher wearer (in terms of jeweled stomachers, that is), but I think Queen Alexandra wore them from time to time. Bobby, you''re correct, I believe Queen Alexandra stuck mostly to pinning brooches and draping herself in swags of jewels, but I found a picture that might give us some evidence. I''m not entirely sure, but in this picture, you can see jewelry beneath the swags of pearls that may be a stomacher.

I''ve never seen this coronation picture, so I thought I''d share. Lord knows Queen Alexandra could wear jewels, as well if not better than Queen Mary could
31.gif

QueenAlexandraCoronation1902a.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 8:27:41 AM
QM wearing the large Cullinan and the ''chips'' als pendant on the lowest necklace

I don''t recognise the circlet that QM is wearing here. I compared it to other pictures of her crown worn and the flue-dis-lyes are not the same. And of course the cross at the front does not hold the koo-i-noor diamond.

Deos anyone know when this picture was taken and where the circlet is from?

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 3:18:14 PM

Date: 11/29/2009 8:23:04 AM
Most of the old stomachers (QA and QM) ...

The ruby bracelet from the State banquet or the diamond one from the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting dinner?

Here is a picture of Queen Mary from the 1937 coronation wearing the Art Deco diamond bracelet from the second event in Trinidad and Tobago:

P.S. I love this photograph! One of the most glittering photos of a woman I've ever seen! Thanks God HM attended her son's coronation!
It is her crown, the Koh-I-Noor went into the crown of Queen Elizabeth, and QM used the Cullinan V Heart Brooch in the middle section. I think it was her 80th BD here

Yes, I mean this one. Could be converted into a choker.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Alexander,

It''s actually a photograph from the Coronation of her son, George VI. It''s not from a birthday.

Do you have a picture of that bracelet worn as a choker? I''m curious to see one.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 9:27:14 AM
Author: neil31uk
Date: 11/29/2009 8:27:41 AM

QM wearing the large Cullinan and the 'chips' als pendant on the lowest necklace

I don't recognise the circlet that QM is wearing here. I compared it to other pictures of her crown worn and the flue-dis-lyes are not the same. And of course the cross at the front does not hold the koo-i-noor diamond.

Deos anyone know when this picture was taken and where the circlet is from?

This is, AFAIK, George V's first opening of Parlament and Queen Mary is in mourning for the late King. This opening was held before the Coronation and therefor Mary didn't have her own crown. Here she's wearing Queen Victoria's Regal Circlet. Queen Alexandra sometimes wore it in combination with Queen Victoria's small diamond crown.

Here is a link to my favourite portrait of the Great Queen wearing her Circlet: The Royal Collection - Queen Victoria

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BTW, The scrolls, surrounding of The Koh-i-Noor, are the same that we see in The Countess of Wessex's wedding tiara.

I know that I already posted a link, but I couldn't resist to post the picture itself:

QV712.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 7:27:01 PM
Author: shadowed_rain
I think Queen Mary may be the most famous stomacher wearer (in terms of jeweled stomachers, that is), but I think Queen Alexandra wore them from time to time. Bobby, you''re correct, I believe Queen Alexandra stuck mostly to pinning brooches and draping herself in swags of jewels, but I found a picture that might give us some evidence. I''m not entirely sure, but in this picture, you can see jewelry beneath the swags of pearls that may be a stomacher.

I''ve never seen this coronation picture, so I thought I''d share. Lord knows Queen Alexandra could wear jewels, as well if not better than Queen Mary could
31.gif

That''s right, shadowed_rain. Alexandra is wearing a jewel beneath the pearl swags, but this isn''t actually a stomacher. The Queen is wearing a cockade (military hat decoration). It has also served as a cloak clasp, maybe that''s how QV wore it. The central element is detachable and can be worn separately as a brooch. Actually, this is the famous brooch that made a sudden appearance in 2008 when Nicolas Sarkozy visited The UK for the first time since the 1937 Coronation!

cade01.jpg.JPG

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A picture of the heavily bejeweled Queen Mary wearing "the stomacher". I belive that it was called "Queen Victoria''s stomacher", right? The only reason I can think of is the V shape (the side portions are worn at an angle). This picture is interesting, because we can see Queen Mary wearing the Koh-i-Noor as a brooch with the scroll frames and Cullinan I as pendant (as QV)! Also Cullinan III is used instead of VII in the necklace. Truly spectacular!
And isn''t the heart shaped ¹ V in the tiara? Even more spectacular!

Bobby

QM707.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the swift answer!

I rather like the circlet, I wonder if Camilla will it if they go ahead with this daft idea of her being called "Princess Consort"?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 3:13:18 PM
Author: neil31uk
Thanks for the swift answer!

I rather like the circlet, I wonder if Camilla will it if they go ahead with this daft idea of her being called ''Princess Consort''?

Welcome to Pricescope, neil31uk! I hope you''ll have some great time here!

Well, first they''ll have to reset the diamonds, which are now in either Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth''s crowns. Now there is only the empty frame of the Circlet.
If Camilla really dosn''t become Queen she can use the State diadem as most regal headgear.
I hate this issue, but why should Camila be Princess Consort? She does great work as a supporter of The Prince of Wales and I think that she has gained her right to be called Queen. That''s just my oppinion, of course.
From what I''ve been able to read, upon Charles'' accession Camilla will, legally be Queen Consort, unless The Parliament issues a special act. This act should be signed by The King. How do you think he''ll react when they tell him: "Your Majesty, You have to sign an act, that will strip Your wife from her title and style of Queen Consort. Instead She''ll be known as HRH The Princess Consort." This sounds ridiculous.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The empty frame of Queen Victoria''s Regal circlet:

frame_QV_rc.jpg

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
i hope they drop it and she uses the title of Queen Consort. I Think they will just wait a few more years until they say that.

Camilla does wear the grand jewels very well, I could see her using QEQMs crown. I also think she would look amazing in the Delhi Durbur jewels, especially if the diadem is restored to include the Cambridge Emeralds.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The titles of Queen or Princess Consort have almost nothing to do with the jewels. Well, maybe they have when it comes to using a crown. Anyway, once Charles inherits his mother''s jewels he can give them to whoever he wants. Of course, lets hope it long time till this moment comes.
BTW, I''ve read that The Queen has discussed with the Lord Chamberlain (or whoever is responsible for that) Camilla''s funeral! So, I''m pretty sure that her future titles have been duscussed before. Maybe this issue is part of the marriage agreement (if there is one).
Then again, the monarchy''s website says that Camilla will be know as ''a mere'' HRH The Princess Consort. I''d say that the website''s statement is the most reliable.

Bogdan

shadowed_rain

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/30/2009 2:53:57 PM
Date: 11/29/2009 7:27:01 PM

Author: shadowed_rain

31.gif

That''s right, shadowed_rain. Alexandra is wearing a jewel beneath the pearl swags, but this isn''t actually a stomacher. The Queen is wearing a cockade (military hat decoration). It has also served as a cloak clasp, maybe that''s how QV wore it. The central element is detachable and can be worn separately as a brooch. Actually, this is the famous brooch that made a sudden appearance in 2008 when Nicolas Sarkozy visited The UK for the first time since the 1937 Coronation!

Are you speaking of the impressive "breastplate" she''s wearing on the breast of her bodice? If so, I''ve been wondering what that was for YEARS. I was referring to the dangling jewel near the point of her bodice. If that''s what you were referring to, my abject apologies. In either case, the cloak clasp/cockade is lovely...do you have a picture of HM wearing the brooch? I''ve never seen it. Thanks in advance!
9.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Originally posted by shadowed_rain:
"Are you speaking of the impressive 'breastplate' she's wearing on the breast of her bodice? If so, I've been wondering what that was for YEARS. I was referring to the dangling jewel near the point of her bodice. If that's what you were referring to, my abject apologies. In either case, the cloak clasp/cockade is lovely...do you have a picture of HM wearing the brooch? I've never seen it. Thanks in advance!"

Yes, the cockade and the breastplate are the same thing.
I must disappoint you, but the dangling jewel that you see is actually The Dagmar necklace, yet another jewel worn under the perls.

royal-magazin.de has a nice clear front view of Queen Alexandra at her coronation robes. There is also the story of the necklace. Link - Dagmar-Necklace | Royal Wedding to Queen Alexandra | Jewel of the Royals

I'm glad that I helped you solve that mystery, SR. The 'stomacher' is one of the most unknown jewels, so don't worry. I myself understood how it looks less than two months ago.

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results