clarity

Royal Jewels

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Victorian silver guilded bohemian garnets cross 1890

08317-4250.p00.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
A diamond necklace set called ''Kanthi Dholna Almas Wa Mothi'' made in 18th century is on display at the Salarjung Museum in Hyderabad, India, Friday, Jan. 12, 2007. The ''Nizam''s Jewels'', a collection of the treasures of the Jah family who governed the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh from 1724 until India gained independence from Britain in 1947

3yuik40x.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok everyone, here is a link to a site just FULL of these amazing royal portraits...go have a peek if you like the old style portraiture!
http://larsdatter.com/earrings.htm

PrincesjsRoyal.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Pair of earrings, 11th century
Greater Syria
Gold: fabricated from wire and sheet, decorated with granulation; originally outlined with strung pearls and/or stones; 1 x 1 1/4 in. (2.5 x 3.3 cm)
Purchase, Gifts in memory of Richard Ettinghausen, and Harris Brisbane Dick Fund, 1979 (1979.278.2a,b)

An elaborate example of filigree and granulation work from the Fatimid period in Egypt and Greater Syria (969–1171), this pair of earrings is illustrative both of the most characteristic goldsmith work and of one of the most popular shapes for jewelry of this period—the hilal, or crescent (moon). The basic vocabulary—a box construction, rings for stringing pearls or semiprecious stones, openwork S-curves, arabesque designs, and the crescent shape itself—seems to have dominated jewelry production in the Fatimid world into the second half of the eleventh century and perhaps later. The influence of this vogue was widespread. Goldsmiths working under the Mamluks (1250–1517) adapted this vocabulary, as did jewelers of Nasrid Spain (1232–1492), while echoes reverberated into Kievan Russia, Ottoman Turkey, Mughal India, and North Africa.

h2_1979.278.2ab.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
it''s kind of proving a challenge to find eastern influenced royal jewels, but i''m looking!
jenna

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 6:36:20 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
just one i hadn't yet seen up here of the star of africa....ooooooooooooooooooooo
Jenna, thanks! I've seen this IRL. I'll always remember it. It was like the different colors were shining through from different points inside. It was incredible. I can't describe how incredible it was. I was wondering when someone would bring this up- magnificent.
36.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
ok, found some neat ones....
An ancient gold Dacian bracelet is shown at the Romanian National History Museum in Bucharest August 2, 2007. The three bracelets, suspected to have been illegally taken out of Romania in 2002, were recouped by the museum from American and Swiss art collectors. According to the museum, the bracelets, decorated with stylised small palm leaves and animal busts at both ends, dates from the classical Getaean-Dacian era (200 B.C.-100 A.D.).

3lllo40x.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Flight has been the dream of humankind since they watched in awe as birds soared effortlessly through the sky. But, according to accepted history, it wasn''t until the 1780s that two Frenchmen achieved lighter-than-air flight when they were lifted into the air in a hot air balloon near Paris. Then powered, heavier-than-air flight became the goal. And although it was theorized that heavier-than-air flight was possible as early as the 13th century, and in the 16th century Leonardo da Vinci designed winged aircraft and a crude kind of helicopter, it wasn''t until the Wright brothers made their first successful flights at Kitty Hawk in 1903 that powered flight became a reality.

That''s the widely accepted history. Some researchers and a few rogue scientists believe there''s evidence to suggest that humans achieved flight earlier in history - much earlier... so early, they say, that the knowledge of this technology has been lost and ancient stories that recount adventures of human flight have been relegated only to myth.

Is it possible that humans developed the technology to fly in early civilizations - or in civilizations that are now lost to history? Let''s take a look at what some call the evidence - intriguing artifacts, carvings, inscriptions and legends - that they say point to the true record human of flight.

ancientGoldAirplane.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
an ancient king with gold ornamentation in greece

Ancient king with gold leaf decoration.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
This particular piece,is known as “The Great Torc” solid gold

Pijjc 181.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
gold earrings, Ancient Rome, excavated in Syria, 3rd-4th century.

image.pyyyyhp.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Ancient gold Roman intaglio ring
NEPTUNE: God of the sea, he carried a trident which had three prongs. He rode a dolphin or horse. When the sea is rough enough to show white tops of waves - they are called seahorses. Neptune was also known as the God of earthquakes, he was called the earth-shaker.

merged20.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
a solid gold book with gold pages. very tiny, and these type of books were often used as pendants during the 1500''s...

gold_plates-000111.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
This gold and enamel Heracles-Knot Clasp with Eros is from the late Classical-early Hellenistic period, 325-250 B.C.

greek_jewuuelry.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2008 11:57:10 PM
a solid gold book with gold pages. very tiny, and these type of books were often used as pendants during the 1500''s...
When I saw that I thought, OMG what a heavy book, I doubt I''ll be able to turn the pages. Then you said it was tiny, it looks huge in the picture!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2008 7:49:02 PM
Victorian painted porcelain portrait pendant 1870
That'' looks like "Mary Queen of Scots" in the pendant.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2008 5:25:53 PM
Author: Asu
Can I join?
Marie Antoinette heart diamond ring
When Marie Antoinette arrived in France she brought this stone with her, a greyish blue heart shaped diamond of 5.46 metric carats.
As private property it never went with the Crown Jewels and was not not therefore stolen in 1792. Just before her execution the Queen
presented the stone to a close confidant who was Polish and the stone went to Poland where, other than occasional appearances it lived
until being sold in 1967 to a private European buyer.
That is so cool, and such a fascinating story. I bet Laurence Graff would love to get a hold of that ring. He just bought an enormous blue diamond that belonged to the Spanish Royal Family. The thread is here.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-35-56-carat-wittelsbach-diamond.101931/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here'a picture of the Star of Africa removed from the British Royal Sceptor and in someone's hands. It gives you an idea of the size of it. Do you think that would be too big for a ring??? Hmmmm? Well maybe not for Beyonce or Victoria Beckham.

http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/cullinandiamonds.html

There's some more famous royal diamonds and gems on this webpage as well.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
England, around AD 1650

This gold ring has an oval bezel that opens to form a concealed locket, containing an enamelled portrait of Charles I (reigned 1625-49). The hinged lid is set with a diamond on an enamelled ground.

Commemorative jewellery depicting royalty was usually produced after the monarch''s death, but was occasionally available during their lifetime, to be worn as a demonstration of loyalty. Commemorative jewellery, in the form of rings, lockets or hair clasps, was produced in great numbers after Charles'' execution on 30 January 1649. Many examples have hinged lids: supporters of the Royalist cause, who wished to keep their allegiance secret, probably wore these during the Commonwealth under the rule of Oliver Cromwell. The Restoration of the monarchy in 1660 again produced great numbers of commemorative jewellery, made for those who claimed to have been Royalist supporters all along. Some rings commemorating Charles I were presented during his lifetime by his Queen, Henrietta Maria (1609-69), to Royalist supporters in appreciation of their continuing loyalty and financial backing, to be redeemed when the Civil War had ended.

Much commemorative jewellery is decorated with black enamel in the same fashion as mourning jewellery. The shoulders of this ring have a scroll pattern reserved in gold on a ground of black enamel, the diamond is bordered with black enamel, and the border of the bezel is decorated with a black and white enamelled pattern.

C. Oman, British rings 800-1914 (London, Batsford, 1974)

O.M. Dalton, Catalogue of the finger rings, (London, British Museum, 1912)

ps339520_l.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and the same ring, closed

ps339519_l.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hello all! have been incredibly busy as i am sure have all of you! but i thought i''d make a visit and post something new for us...i knew diana was stunning, but my goodness she looks like a model here! wow!

plplo9.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
her taste in jewels really envokes such class..such timeless beauty.

Diana___43wlb825trfdianaportraits.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
i love her bag here...i''ve never carried much interest in hand bags but this one strikes me..very simple and it ads to the jewels, understated but you certainly notice them..

0000327693-006.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
a pretty face to show off some pretty earrings!

AADS003099.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season! here''s one i don''t think any of us will have seen yet...charles and diana at the gem palace in Jaipur india...looking at some very regal jewels i might add!:)

charles iuy& Diana.jpg

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
I found this photo of Her Majesty Margarita, Tsaritsa of the Bulgarians. She seems to be loaded with quite a serious amount of bling here! I played with the pic a little in order to make the jewelry easier to see. Unfortunately the earrings are hidden in her hair and her pin is a bit blurry. I love the necklace though – diamonds and sapphire as far as I can see and so is the bracelet on her hand (the one on top) – maybe a set? The watch is not something I’d wear, tbh. She’s also wearing a simple golden wedding band.

prisma10251362pq9.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I didn't know there was a Tsaritsa of the Bulgarians. Thanks!

And, thanks jenna for the new pictures of Diana and her jewels! Those are incredible pictures and I haven't seen them before.
30.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2008 6:49:01 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''a picture of the Star of Africa removed from the British Royal Sceptor and in someone''s hands. It gives you an idea of the size of it. Do you think that would be too big for a ring??? Hmmmm? Well maybe not for Beyonce or Victoria Beckham.

http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/cullinandiamonds.html

There''s some more famous royal diamonds and gems on this webpage as well.
This man''s site is great! Thanks for the link!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2008 8:26:12 PM
i love her bag here...i''ve never carried much interest in hand bags but this one strikes me..very simple and it ads to the jewels, understated but you certainly notice them..

Hi all! and Happy New Year!

As man I don''t care much about hand bags, but this one is very beatuiful and shows how classy Diana was. It seems to have been a modern one a decade and sth ago and what is most interesting about it, is that it can be locked. This bags was sold with two keys. Unfortunately I can''t remember the designer''s name.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2009 5:47:46 AM
Author: Imdanny
I didn''t know there was a Tsaritsa of the Bulgarians. Thanks!

And, thanks jenna for the new pictures of Diana and her jewels! Those are incredible pictures and I haven''t seen them before.
30.gif

Actualy there isn''t a Tsaritsa because Bulgaria isn''t a monarchy any more, but as wife of the last Tsar Dona Margarita is de jure Tsaritsa of Bulgaria. I''ve posted some pics of her and the rest of the Royal Family a few pages ago.
HM as well as her daughter have a fancy styleð although her daughters-in-law are some best dresed women in Spain (and Europe).
However when I met her she made me a good impression. BTW we used to chat and what made me the best impression was that she is fluent in bulgarian.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results