Maxima Diamant & Robijn Tiara 07.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
same site...rubies..

Laurentien Diamant & Robijn Tiara 04.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hi all!
It''s nice to understand that I''m not the only boy here! And sorry for saying "HI" only to to girls but I didn''t expect that there are other boys reading this forum.

Thanks for the link Jenna. The site is nice and there are lots of nice pics of the Queens of the Netherlands and Princess Maxima. I found it about an year ago while searching in Google.
Princess Maxima (The Royal Family) has very beautiful aquamarines! Her aqua necklace looks quiet modern. Do you have any info if it''s a new piece?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Jenna,

Thank you so much for researching and beautifully writing up the history of the diamonds and emeralds of Marie-Louise. The stories, as told by you, were thorough and easy to follow. You should write a book! In addition, the photographs illustrated everything that you discussed and were expertly picked. You were very kind to put so much time into the project for us. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will read it again when I have more time to read it with care.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Deborah
34.gif

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:44:08 PM
Author: AGBF

Dear Jenna,

Thank you so much for researching and beautifully writing up the history of the diamonds and emeralds of Marie-Louise. The stories, as told by you, were thorough and easy to follow. You should write a book! In addition, the photographs illustrated everything that you discussed and were expertly picked. You were very kind to put so much time into the project for us. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I will read it again when I have more time to read it with care.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Deborah

34.gif

You are so right Deborah!
I can''t imagine searching for pictures and info, then posting them here and in my own thread. And after all having time for my work. I wish I could do that too.

You''re right about the book. Jenna has plenty of photos and usefull information about the jewels. After finishing the Royal Jewels book she can write one about her personal collection like Elizabeth Taylor''s ''My Love Affair with Jewelry''.

Thank you for your posts Jenna(especially for the emeralds)!

All the best,
Bobby

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:37:05 PM
Author: prince.of.preslav
Hi all!

It''s nice to understand that I''m not the only boy here! And sorry for saying ''HI'' only to to girls but I didn''t expect that there are other boys reading this forum.

Thanks for the link Jenna. The site is nice and there are lots of nice pics of the Queens of the Netherlands and Princess Maxima. I found it about an year ago while searching in Google.

Princess Maxima (The Royal Family) has very beautiful aquamarines! Her aqua necklace looks quiet modern. Do you have any info if it''s a new piece?
hi back!
i''m sorry to say, i do not know anything more about it..perhaps someone else here may? all i do for this fun thread is i find pieces..hopefully of interest, and i post them here for easy access for all of us! the info i post, when it is available to me, is provided by the sites on which the photos appeared when i found them..i am learning as i go as well, so, the sites where i find these wonderful photos are of great help. they provide the information and i make sure i include whatever research i can along with the pictures..so, forgive me if some of the info is not quite correct, i do the best i can to locate true and accurate info, but sometimes there may be some tidbit with a mistake i won''t catch as i am not the expert!:)
anyways, thanks everyone for enjoying! i''ll keep up the search to find some more great pictures and info for everyone!
jenna:)

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:44:08 PM

Dear Jenna,

Thank you!

Best regards,

Deborah

34.gif
thanks everyone!
i may spend a bit too much time doing all this..but i love love love jewels!!!!!lol
jenna

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2008 7:43:41 PM
Author: Sithathoriunet
The Hope Diamond Chain: Museum of Natural History, Washington D.C.
It''s kind of funny that the hope diamond has a magnificent bezel of diamonds, a magnificent chain, and then you see a spring ring clasp.
emcrook.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The emerald-cut 50-carat “Gordon Sapphire” was set as the centerpiece of a pendant, surrounded by a cluster of smaller diamonds of various shapes and sizes. The cluster consisted of 10 marquise-shaped diamonds, 26 pear-shaped diamonds, 7 round-shaped diamonds and 25 baguette diamonds, with a total weight of approximately 14.50 carats. The all-diamond necklace was set with 56 marquise-shaped diamonds, 51 round-shaped diamonds and 4 pear-shaped diamonds, with a total weight of approximately 22.50 carats, mounted in platinum, and having a length of 17 inches. The pendant was said to be detachable and could also be worn as a brooch. The pre-sale estimate of the necklace was $ 50,000 to $ 70,000.

gordon-sapphire-and-diamond-necklace.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 8:43:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Did anyone mention the famous Dresden green diamond (my all time favorite diamond), and one of the top 10 most famous diamonds in the world, in this thread? It used to be part of the hat pin for the Kings of Saxony.

http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/dresdengreendiamond.html
oh boy! thankyou for this link...great info and pictures!
jenna:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, and thank you Jenna for your invaluable contributions to this marvelous thread. It''s not only eye candy but there''s a great deal of historical information here that everyone can learn from.

I was thinking that since everyone has posted so much about European and Western Asian royalty, is there any jewelry to post on for Eastern Asian or African royalty and culture? Perhaps Jenna can find us some of that as well, would love to see it!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
12/12/2008 12:21:55 AM

I was thinking that since everyone has posted so much about European and Western Asian royalty, is there any jewelry to post on for Eastern Asian or African royalty and culture? Perhaps Jenna can find us some of that as well, would love to see it!!

Well, she has posted a great deal on Egyptian jewelry, which is African, although I would definitely welcome anything more! Asia is where it all began for gems, isn''t it? (Or at least for human discovery of them, that is!)

Deborah
34.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 12:21:55 AM
Oh yes, and thank you Jenna for your invaluable contributions to this marvelous thread. It''s not only eye candy but there''s a great deal of historical information here that everyone can learn from.

well thankyou!
i fully enjoy doing it for everyone..it is fun for me to find peopel like myself who love jewels and their history! so, i found this amazing book today, called ''7000 years of jewelry'' and WOW! it is awesome for photos and history..now, it would take me forever to scan everything and post it here, but i will definately do some of the best pieces...
and yes, although most eastern influenced jewels we examples of are egyptian in nature..i''m pretty sure i can find what you are thinking of as well..give me a few days and i''ll find the eye candy! LOL
how about this neat snake bangle...?
Gold spiral bracelet of two snakes whose tails are tied in a Hercules knot that is decorated with a garnet in a bezel setting; from Eretria, on the island of Euboea, 4th–3rd century bc

8242-004-8D374461.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 6:37:31 AM

Date:
12/12/2008 12:21:55 AM

Well, she has posted a great deal on Egyptian jewelry, which is African, although I would definitely welcome anything more! Asia is where it all began for gems, isn''t it? (Or at least for human discovery of them, that is!)

Deborah

34.gif

hi deborah!
yes, egypt! it seems to be the seat of all things....back when egypt was in the midst of massive advanced building projects such as the pyramids, the rest of the world wasn''t yet up to much, aside from piling a few stones on top of one another...:) that is actually a quote from a doctor of archeology i admire...
but even in ancient egypt, it is now becoming far more apparent that the egyptians were intreagued by ancient jewels..now, if we are back in ancient egypt, ancient to them would mean they were studying another civilization further back then even we give credit for yet..ok, on mass i mean..there has been wide rumor of the atlantis ringa ring of the most ancient beginnings, here, i copied this about it..have a read..it''s very very interesting:
''The Atlantis ring and its History:

(RÉ RING / CARTER RING)

The Atlantis ring is a band onto which a series of geometrical shapes were engraved. They are as follows: 2 triangles, 6 small and 3 larger rectangles, which have a semi-cylindrical form. At the extremities of the triangles, the ring is perforated and a grove on the inside of the band links both holes. Other precisions are: The center semi-cylindrical rectangle is slightly higher than the other two; the line forming the right hand side of each triangle extends beyond the triangle and at the center a faint point can be noticed. The original ring was made of clay.

It was discovered in 1860, in the Valley of the Kings by the Marquis d’Agrain (Egyptologist). This archaeological find, several thousand years old, was later entrusted to Howard Carter, who remained its consignee until his death in 1939.
However it was in 1922 that the ring’s popularity was born. Howard Carter owned it at this time.
He and Lord Carnarvon had been actively participating in excavations for more than 7 years. On November 25th of that year, they faced a sealed tomb door bearing the following inscription: “The wings of death will touch whom ever violates the pharaoh’s eternal rest” They ignored this warning and the two men entered the chamber of Tut Ankh Amon''s tomb, son of the sun god and lord of both worlds.
They made one of modern history’s greatest archaeological finds; the walls were covered fabulous frescoes, they discovered a one ton solid gold casket, the royal throne was also gold covered, they also unearthed multiple sculptures and fine jewellery as well as the pharaohs personal belonging all of which had unimaginable value.

BUT:
Soon after, Lord Carnarvon began to have hallucinations, his condition worsened rapidly and he eventually died, screaming Tut Ankh Amon''s name. His nurse passed away a very short time after.
Carter’s secretary, present at the opening of the sarcophagus, followed; he died of an unknown aliment.
Immediately after having seen the mummy, colonel Aubey Herbert, died.
White Evelyne, one of the first to enter the tomb, hung himself.
Archibald Douglas, who x-rayed the mummy… Died.
Arthur Mace, who drilled the wall, Lafleur, one of Carter’s friends, Otto Neubert, who investigated these tragedies… All died.
Lady Carnarvon, G. Davis, D. Derry, Professors Winlock, Breadstead, Hackness, Gardiner, Woolf… deceased. In all 17 or 18 (depending on whose version) Succumbed in the days or months following the discovery.

The curse persists!

It seems that other deaths are to be added to the list. Several people are reported to have died after having either, manipulated, lent out for exposition purposes or used objects from the Tut Ankh Amon collection.
The sole survivor to the curse is without doubt the guiltiest.
Howard Carter led the digs from start to finish, made a complete inventory, moved the treasure, and was the first to enter the tomb and to see the mummy. Since everyone related to the finds was dead, it is he that was responsible and obtained all the glory pertinent to the discovery. He died 17 years later at the age of 66.
During the 17 years in question, when he was asked how he survived the curse, he would answer: “ I have a talisman, that protects me” but he would say no more on his good luck charm.
It was only in 1940, after his death, while examining his personal documents, that a mention of the talisman was noted…
It was the Atlantis ring.''
how about that! i have attached a pic of the original. i actual have one myself, i got it after doing much research first..and yes, it does ''feel'' very powerful..strange..........

Atlant-org-1.jpg

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Can I join?
Marie Antoinette heart diamond ring
When Marie Antoinette arrived in France she brought this stone with her, a greyish blue heart shaped diamond of 5.46 metric carats.
As private property it never went with the Crown Jewels and was not not therefore stolen in 1792. Just before her execution the Queen
presented the stone to a close confidant who was Polish and the stone went to Poland where, other than occasional appearances it lived
until being sold in 1967 to a private European buyer.

anello.jpg

Asu

Shiny_Rock
some pics of her jewelry

orecchini2.jpg

Asu

Shiny_Rock
Marie Antoinette used to love to make jewelry with her hair in and give them to her friends

capelli.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/12/2008 5:31:50 PM
Author: Asu
Marie Antoinette used to love to make jewelry with her hair in and give them to her friends
hi asu!
and welcome!:)
the ring you posted there with her hair is a take on the very popular (at that time) ''death rings''. people would wear rings as momentos of their loved ones that contained the hair of their beloved deceased. morbid i know, and yet somehow very loyal...i have attached one of these death rings.in this one is supposedly a piece of Princess Elizabeth''s dress..sets about a strange feeling doesn''t it? they often contained small skull and crossbones in them along with the hair.

lizsddress.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Golden victorian hat pin or hair pin with hair piece miniature (ca.1830)

08317-4167.P00.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
another victorian ring with hair woven inside

ring15458.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and this one is georgian, with seed pearls as well as hair

ring33339.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and even a victorian hair locket

hghgair.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
A touch of history ... Emotional memorial Georgian hair ring.

The message of this ring reveals a family tragedy that is still touching more then 200 years after its making.

We all know memorial jewelry and we all have seen the tombstones and weeping willows nicely created out of hair and all such. We have seen the names and dates but they ever hardly move us. And so to us as experts too till this very ring came in. Although of nice and yet sober design, not the most impressive ring on first sight but turn it over, read the engraving and suddenly you are transported to a tragic moment 200 years ago…the inscription in the ring reads:

W.A.
aged 4 Yrs
died 6 July
G.R.A.
aged 4 Mo''s
died 12 Dec

Then take a look at the top of the ring again and know that the hair used is from two little children from the same family who died in the same year, 1792. One child of 4 years old and then 5 months later the baby of only 4 months old……..

It is an old saying that one is really dead when one is out of people''s mind; perhaps it is a warming thought that these children still aren''t out of the people''s mind yet, not even after 200 years.

cghfgh223.p00.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
side view of the same ring..more info;
OBJECT GROUP : rings
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN : Most probably England
STYLE : Georgian (pre-Victorian)
PERIOD : 1792
PERIOD SPECIFICS : 1792, the year when the French Revolution took place: Storming of the Tuileries Palace. Louis XVI of France is arrested and taken into custody; the year when George Washington got re-elected as President of the United States and only 7 years after the dollar got chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
THEME : Mourning jewels - At that time there was actually a jewel for every stage of the mourning period.
MATERIAL : 14K red gold
HISTORY HAIR JEWELRY : Besides using hair of beloved deceased, normal hair jewelry without the mourning theme came also in fashion In the first half of the 19th century (ca. 1830). Since then and till the second half of the 19th century (ca. 1870), it was possible for a woman to sell her hair at special markets. The hair was bought by hair dealers who supplied it to special hair jewelry craftsmen. At a certain moment that sort of jewelry became so fashionable that wealthy women started haircraft as a hobby. In fashion magazines of that time you could find complete descriptions of ways to turn hair into little pieces of art.

06348-3223.P01.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
the inscription in that same ring

06348-3223.P02.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and another view of our ring...

06348-3223.P03.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
and it''s size shown here

06348-3223.P04.JPG

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
just one i hadn''t yet seen up here of the star of africa....ooooooooooooooooooooo

starofafrica.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results