Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12209 posts • Page 45 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 200, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:31 am
Queen Silvia in emeralds and diamonds at a gala in Las Vegas.
Attachments
silvia2-28-2008.jpg
silvia2-28-2008.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:33 am
You can see the matching bracelet in this photo. This is the first time Silvia has worn this set.
Attachments
silvia2-28-2008a.jpg
silvia2-28-2008a.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:34 am
Close up of the earrings.
Attachments
silvia2-28-2008b.jpg
silvia2-28-2008b.jpg (36.43 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:40 am
Queen Elizabeth toured a grocery store wearing one of Queen Victoria''s Bow Brooches. (Can you imagine a life where a tour of a grocery store is a novelty??!!) The Queen Victoria Bow Brooches were made made Garrard in 1858 as a set of three. Both Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra wore the brooches at their coronations. The Queen owns several bow brooches but you can always recognise the Queen Victoria Bow Brooches by the distinctive double bow effect.
Attachments
queen2-29-2008.jpg
queen2-29-2008.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:49 am
An older photo of the Queen wearing one of the Queen Victoria Bow Brooches. She seems to wear them for more casual occasions quite alot.
Attachments
queen1p.jpg
queen1p.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:53 am
And another older photo.....
Attachments
queen2u.jpg
queen2u.jpg (47.51 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:54 am
And again....
Attachments
queen2v.jpg
queen2v.jpg (57.18 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:55 am
And here it is again slightly covered up by the Rembrance Day Poppies...
Attachments
queen8.jpg
queen8.jpg (34.58 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:56 am
Again in 2002...
Attachments
queen2002bowbrooch.jpg
queen2002bowbrooch.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 8:57 am
And in 2005...
Attachments
queen2005queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg
queen2005queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 9:00 am
And here in Washington DC in 2007...
Attachments
queenindc2007queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg
queenindc2007queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 9:06 am
And here reviewing her troops in 2007...
Attachments
queenmarch2007queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg
queenmarch2007queenvictoriasbowbrooch.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 9:21 am
Here - it''s a bit hard to make out amongst all the "stuff" - Queen Mary wears the Queen Victoria Bow Brooches in 1902 at her coronation. The brooches are suspended on a diamond chain going down the front of her skirt.
Attachments
queenalexandracoronation.jpg
queenalexandracoronation.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by diamondseeker2006 » March 2nd, 2008, 10:34 am
I really do not like the emeralds with that red dress on Queen Silvia at all. Looks like a Christmas decoration!

I think the bow brooches are lovely on Queen Elizabeth, though!
When in doubt....don't.

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 2:27 pm
Date: 3/2/2008 3:21:44 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
Here - it's a bit hard to make out amongst all the 'stuff' - Queen Mary wears the Queen Victoria Bow Brooches in 1902 at her coronation. The brooches are suspended on a diamond chain going down the front of her skirt.

Sorry LadyA but this is Queen Alexandra.  Alexandra was one lady who could really pile on the minerals IMO.  Note the diamond fringe ornament that she wears around the bottom of her bodice...amazing.  Many people feel that Alexandra sometimes appeared overburdened by the masses of jewels that she loved to adorn herself with, and that Queen Mary did the 'dripping in diamonds' thing better.  All I know is I would have loved to see this ensemble in candlelight.  Or any light. 
Only the pure of heart can make a good soup. - Beethoven

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 2:34 pm
I really like the modern demi-parure that Queen Silvia was sporting in Vegas, but I must agree that red with emeralds is just not a good look.  I believe Carl Gustav was recently in Saudi Arabia (apparently he is good friends with the King). Green and white are the colours on the Saudi flag... perhaps this was a gift?  Quite an upgrade from one of those souvenir t-shirts that say, "My husband was in Saudi Arabia and all I got was this lousy t-shirt." ImageImage

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 2:49 pm
Among the numerous pieces that Queen Alexandra is wearing in the photo posted by LadyA are Queen Victoria''s diamond stomacher which she is wearing quite visibly across the top of her dress neckline.  Further down, and beneath the loops of pearls, is the Dagmar Necklace, which was a wedding present to Princess Alexandra when she married Bertie, AFAIK it was from her father.  You can just make out the pendant cross and pearls in the middle of the getty images watermark.  I can only recall one instance of HM QEII wearing this necklace, and it was worn without the pendant cross and the pearl drops.  I will try to locate the pic...
Attachments
dagmarqa.jpg
dagmarqa.jpg (12.69 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 3:12 pm
A quick look has revealed two pics of QEII wearing this necklace - looks like two different occasions to me.  I stand corrected!

Attachments
dagqeii.jpg
dagqeii.jpg (22.33 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 3:14 pm
I''ve always felt this piece is ''monumental'' rather than beautiful.  JMO.
Attachments
dagqe.jpg
dagqe.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 3:28 pm
One of my all-time fave pics of Queen Alexandra, this time literally drowning in pearls...I think the occasion is a State Opening of Parliament.  In addition to several million oyster-years of work, she also wears Queen Victoria''s small diamond crown and Queen Victoria''s diamond waterfall brooch.  Queen Victoria''s bow brooches are down the front of the skirt, this time each brooch anchors a ''chain'' of collet diamonds.  Wowza.
Attachments
alixstop.jpg
alixstop.jpg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 3:33 pm
It''s really hard to see any detail at all in this picture, but this is Queen Mary in her coronation robes.  She wears Queen Victoria''s bow brooches on the front of her bodice, stomacher style.
Attachments
qmcor.jpg
qmcor.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by emeraldeyes » March 2nd, 2008, 3:35 pm
This is a painting, you should be able to make them out...
Attachments
qmcrii.jpg
qmcrii.jpg (50.62 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Post by blinkydoll » March 2nd, 2008, 7:06 pm
thank you LadyAmythyst69 for starting this thread--- it is soo fascinating to see and learn the history of the jewels! keep up the great work!!

does anyone ever imagine how it would be to be able to play with their collections? play in a royals jewelry box (or vault) for a day?
Oh my--- imagine! ImageImageImage

************* 9/20/08***********
OMG!!! We Are Married!!

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 7:14 pm
Date: 3/2/2008 8:27:35 PM
Author: emeraldeyes

Date: 3/2/2008 3:21:44 PM
Here - it''s a bit hard to make out amongst all the ''stuff'' - Queen Mary wears the Queen Victoria Bow Brooches in 1902 at her coronation. The brooches are suspended on a diamond chain going down the front of her skirt.

Sorry LadyA but this is Queen Alexandra. Alexandra was one lady who could really pile on the minerals IMO. Note the diamond fringe ornament that she wears around the bottom of her bodice...amazing. Many people feel that Alexandra sometimes appeared overburdened by the masses of jewels that she loved to adorn herself with, and that Queen Mary did the ''dripping in diamonds'' thing better. All I know is I would have loved to see this ensemble in candlelight. Or any light.

Duh! (Smacks head!) Total miscommunicatoon between typing fingers and thinking brain. Image

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » March 2nd, 2008, 7:17 pm
Date: 3/2/2008 8:49:36 PM
Author: emeraldeyes
Among the numerous pieces that Queen Alexandra is wearing in the photo posted by LadyA are Queen Victoria's diamond stomacher which she is wearing quite visibly across the top of her dress neckline. Further down, and beneath the loops of pearls, is the Dagmar Necklace, which was a wedding present to Princess Alexandra when she married Bertie, AFAIK it was from her father. You can just make out the pendant cross and pearls in the middle of the getty images watermark. I can only recall one instance of HM QEII wearing this necklace, and it was worn without the pendant cross and the pearl drops. I will try to locate the pic...

Did the Queen Mum ever wear this one? I wonder if it will come out in public again on Camilla. I think she could work it!!

Post by emeraldeyes » March 3rd, 2008, 8:00 am
Date: 3/3/2008 1:14:02 AM

Duh! (Smacks head!) Total miscommunicatoon between typing fingers and thinking brain. Image

Happens all the time to me too!  ImageImageImage

Post by emeraldeyes » March 3rd, 2008, 8:02 am
Date: 3/3/2008 1:17:00 AM

Did the Queen Mum ever wear this one? I wonder if it will come out in public again on Camilla. I think she could work it!!

I don''t think QEQM wore this one.  I agree with you on the Camilla idea - she might be able to pull this one off.  We''ve already seen her in the ruby and diamond breastplate and all five rows of the Greville armour.  She seems to like these monolithic pieces.

Post by surfgirl » March 4th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Did anyone watch that 20/20 Royal Family special last night on ABC? They had a segment on "The Royal Bling" and they talked about the monarch''s crown that QE wears at the opening of Parliment...They showed inside the Royal Jewels area and the dude that carries the crown to the QE to wear. And that the crown has it''s own horse drawn carriage ride to the Parliment Bldg. It was quite interesting but I wanted SO much more BLING info! They showed QE at the recent State Dinner and she was wearing that monstrous 3-strand old cut diamond necklace and between that and her crown, the fire bursts were insane...Wow. If I ever met her I''d really have to compliment her jewels...I wonder if that would be considered rude and I wonder if she''s a bling girl or it''s just part of the job. Wouldn''t it be SO sad if she didn''t even care about the royal jewelry? If I was her, I''d be playing dress up in the Jewel House area all the time...

Post by emeraldeyes » March 4th, 2008, 3:05 pm
To a certain extent, I think it is just part of her working wardrobe to her.  Imagine being royal all of your life, and having been surrounded from your earliest memory by all of these items.  Seeing your mother and granny and your aunts and distant relations dressed for coronations, state openings, weddings and the like.  As bizarre as it may sound to mere commoners like you and I, a person would become rather inured to it.  It becomes just a part of your own 'normal'.  Getting all decked out in the jewels and orders, it's something that's done for the guest really. 

The monarchy program that aired as a 20/20 special last evening was actually a drastically edited version of a much longer series of programs that were shown on the BBC (Britain, of course) and the CBC (Canada, for those who might not know) earlier in the year.  There were a total of six episodes, each an hour or so in length, and each one dealt with a sort of self-contained aspect of the royal family's day to day activities.  Did your version show anything of the much talked about Annie Liebovitz photo session where Annie asked HM if she could remove her 'crown' which in fact was the Girls of Great Britian and Ireland tiara?  The Queen looks at Annie with incredulity and asks, "What do you think this is?"  I'm not sure if HM was trying to let Annie know that the tiara was not in fact a crown, or if she was getting huffy because she didn't like the idea of having to alter an outfit (the elaborate full Garter regalia, complete with robes) that the photographer had specifically asked for in advance. 

Post by emeraldeyes » March 4th, 2008, 3:23 pm
QEII and dubya at the dinner in Washington. 

HM wears the Girls of Great Britian and Ireland tiara given to Queen Mary as a wedding gift, and then by Queen Mary to then-Princess Elizabeth as a wedding gift.
The necklace is referred to as the George VI Festoon Necklace and was made up in 1950 from 105 loose diamonds that the King had inherited.
The bracelet looks to be Queen Mary''s Link Bracelet, which according to Field in The Queen''s Jewels, was among the items purchased from the estate of the Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia.  In its original form, the bracelet was actually a choker that could be divided into two bracelets.  The Queen inherited at least one of these bracelets from Queen Mary in 1953.  There is no mention of the second bracelet''s whereabouts in the ediiton of the Field book that I have. 
Attachments
usstatedinner.jpg
usstatedinner.jpg (41.3 KiB) Viewed 449 times

12209 posts • Page 45 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, ..., 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, ..., 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 200, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces