Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12190 posts • Page 40 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 200, 300, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 11:13 am
Yes, Lady A that is the bracelet.  It would make sense to me that QEII would wear that with the Vlad tiara, Ladies of India necklace, and Cambridge earrings.  Another tidbit to research tonight!
The pic that you posted of Diana in the black cloak with the green taffeta gown underneath is in one of my books at home.  I will try to take a close look and see which earrings those are.  Drat these small, fuzzy pics that came before the digital age! 
AFAIK the choker was not worn in public by QEII.  
Only the pure of heart can make a good soup. - Beethoven

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:16 am
In this photo Queen Mary is wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with the original emerald spikes, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Cambridge Emerald Earrings, two diamond collet necklaces, the Delhi Durbar necklace, I THINK that could be the Cambridge Emerald Stomacher (it would make sense), and the Dehli Durbar Brooch.

(Is that a Star of the Garter Emeraldeyes? I guess I had better start paying attention to alll these orders and decorations huh?) Image
Attachments
may8.jpg
may8.jpg (61.77 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:25 am
I also found this gorgous one of the Queen wearing the Vladimir Tiara with the emerald drops. Sadly (since I like the emerald drops so much) the Queen usually wears it with the pearl drops. She is also wearing the Cambridge Emerald Earrings and the Delhi Durbar Necklace and Queen Mary''s Dorset Bow Brooch (a wedding gift to Queen Mary from the county of Dorset and one of several bow brooches the present Queen owns).

Doing some research I have read that QEII has indeed never worn the Cambridge Choker.
Attachments
queen1o.jpg
queen1o.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:30 am
Another one - this time color yay! - of the Queen wearing the Vlad Tiara with the emerald drops, Cambridge Emerald Earrings and Delhi Durbar Necklace. Oh how I wish I could get a closer look at the bracelet on her right arm. Looks like a colored stone for sure so probably and emerald - but doesn''t seem quite large enough to be the Cambridge Emerald bracelet. What do you think Emeraldeyes?

I think the Queen looks stunning in emeralds.
Attachments
queenphilip.jpg
queenphilip.jpg (52.68 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:37 am

Another of the Queen in the "emerald set" same as above EXCEPT she is also wearing the "other" Cambridge Emerald Brooch (not the one I posted the close up of above). This one is rounder. And also - hooray!- I''m sure that is the Cambridge Emerald Bracelet on her right arm. (Which also leads me to think it actually maybe the bracelet she is wearing in the previous photo as well).

Oh and there''s also Nelson Mandela. Image

Attachments
queenandnelsonmandela.jpg
queenandnelsonmandela.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 11:42 am
Date: 2/6/2008 5:16:33 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69
In this photo Queen Mary is wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with the original emerald spikes, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Cambridge Emerald Earrings, two diamond collet necklaces, the Delhi Durbar necklace, I THINK that could be the Cambridge Emerald Stomacher (it would make sense), and the Dehli Durbar Brooch.

(Is that a Star of the Garter Emeraldeyes? I guess I had better start paying attention to alll these orders and decorations huh?) Image

Yes, it is the Star of the Garter.  The sash is being held in place by Queen Victoria''s bar brooch that you can just make out on the left shoulder.  No one, not even Queen Alexandra could wear jewels like Queen Mary!  Gotta love her...

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 11:44 am
Date: 2/6/2008 5:30:38 PM
Another one - this time color yay! - of the Queen wearing the Vlad Tiara with the emerald drops, Cambridge Emerald Earrings and Delhi Durbar Necklace. Oh how I wish I could get a closer look at the bracelet on her right arm. Looks like a colored stone for sure so probably and emerald - but doesn''t seem quite large enough to be the Cambridge Emerald bracelet. What do you think Emeraldeyes?

I think the Queen looks stunning in emeralds.

Yes I think that is the bracelet.  It looks to me like the big cabochon is kind of camouflaged by the sash of the order.  Not sure which order that is.  Jordan maybe???Image

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:45 am
A slightly closer picture of the Queen (with King Juan Carlos of Spain) wearing the Cambridge Emerald Bracelet on her right arm. She is also wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. The necklace is of course the Delhi Durbar. I wasn''t able to identify the other bracelet.
Attachments
queenjuancarlos.jpg
queenjuancarlos.jpg (91.93 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 11:47 am
Date: 2/6/2008 5:42:10 PM
Author: emeraldeyes

In this photo Queen Mary is wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with the original emerald spikes, the Cambridge Emerald Choker, the Cambridge Emerald Earrings, two diamond collet necklaces, the Delhi Durbar necklace, I THINK that could be the Cambridge Emerald Stomacher (it would make sense), and the Dehli Durbar Brooch.

Yes, it is the Star of the Garter. The sash is being held in place by Queen Victoria''s bar brooch that you can just make out on the left shoulder. No one, not even Queen Alexandra could wear jewels like Queen Mary! Gotta love her...

She must have been a sight in all her glory! I think I would have had to curtsey just to spare my eyes from all the dazzle! Image

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 12:03 pm
Here''s a small "mystery" for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the "extra" Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?
Attachments
diana1o.jpg
diana1o.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 12:04 pm
Here''s a close up of the necklace.
Attachments
dianaprinceofwalesfeathersnecklace.jpg
dianaprinceofwalesfeathersnecklace.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 12:12 pm
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small "mystery" of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives. Image) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an "extender" of some sort. Do you agree?
Attachments
dianaemeraldnecklace.jpg
dianaemeraldnecklace.jpg (30.99 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 6th, 2008, 12:35 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 6:12:37 PM
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small ''mystery'' of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives. Image) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an ''extender'' of some sort. Do you agree?

I have seen thousands of photos of Diana, but this one I''d never seen before.. Thank you..

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices...

JK Rowling

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 1:45 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 6:03:28 PM
Here''s a small ''mystery'' for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the ''extra'' Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?

Oooh, I''ve always liked this piece.  It was originally a wedding present to Queen Alexandra, so that would pre-date the entry of the Cambridge emeralds into the collection.  Somewhere, I have a contemporary drawing of the wedding presents. 

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 1:54 pm
Emeraldeyes - Here''s my second small ''mystery'' of the day. (Amazing what you find when you start to troll the archives. Image) In this picture of Princess Diana with Princess Margaret I think Diana is wearing the Cambridge choker but with an ''extender'' of some sort. Do you agree?

Gee, that''s a tough one.  Originally I thought definitely no, but after looking more closely and counting the emeralds, it may be possible - the shape of the motifs don''t look entirely right somehow.  I don''t think this particular necklace appeared again, so there are a few possibilities...

1) adapted Cambridge choker.
2) different emerald necklace from her collection.
3) a loaner.
We really need a clearer photo.  Any idea of the year this pic is from?

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 1:58 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 4:45:57 PM
The Cambridge Emerald earrings. I think Diana is wearing them - on loan from the Queen - in the second picture of her I posted.

I checked the photo in my book and it''s not much better, but the shape doesn''t quite fit to my eyes.  Could Diana''s earrings in the pic be the pendant parts to the dangly ones she is wearing in the other pic?  Image

Post by emeraldeyes » February 6th, 2008, 2:11 pm
I know I have a better, unmarked one of these somewhere, but somehow I can never find what I''m looking for...time for a new system I suppose.  These are some of Queen Alexandra''s wedding presents.  The POW feather pendant with emerald drop is shown on the bottom right.  There is an enduring discussion on whether or not this is the same pendant that Camilla has been seen wearing with the emerald earrings that are shown on either side of this necklace.

Attachments
earringsemeraldalex1.jpg
earringsemeraldalex1.jpg (21.77 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 4:42 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 7:45:50 PM

Date: 2/6/2008 6:03:28 PM
Here''s a small ''mystery'' for you Emeraldeyes. This is Diana wearing the emerald and diamond drop earrings and the Prince of Wales Feathers Diamond necklace - both presents from Prince Charles. I''ve always wondered if the emerald drop (which is detachable) was made from one of the ''extra'' Cambridge emeralds. Do you have any info on the drop?

Oooh, I''ve always liked this piece. It was originally a wedding present to Queen Alexandra, so that would pre-date the entry of the Cambridge emeralds into the collection. Somewhere, I have a contemporary drawing of the wedding presents.

Hmm so you think it is the same necklace? I thought there was more than one Prince of Wales Feathers necklace out there. Or am I just getting confused with the PoW Feathers brooches? I know there are several of them.

So this piece that Diana wears is originally a brooch that was attached to a necklace? I think I remember seeing her wearing it as a brooch...

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 4:48 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 7:54:50 PM

Gee, that''s a tough one. Originally I thought definitely no, but after looking more closely and counting the emeralds, it may be possible - the shape of the motifs don''t look entirely right somehow. I don''t think this particular necklace appeared again, so there are a few possibilities...

1) adapted Cambridge choker.
2) different emerald necklace from her collection.
3) a loaner.
We really need a clearer photo. Any idea of the year this pic is from?

I think the pic is from the early 90''s based on Diana''s hair & how Princess Margaret looks. Also Diana wore this dress around then. I completely can''t remember where this photo is from but I am guessing one of the royalty magazines.

I don''t know of any other emerald necklaces in her collection & I doubt it is a loaner for some reason. The occasion looks more "private" so I am thinking Diana would not have a reason to wear a loaner piece...

I am going to stay with thinking it is the Cambridge adapted. I think I read somewhere that she had it taken off the velvet backing that she used to make it into the headband but didn''t like it as a choker so had an extender added. Don''t ask me where I am getting this from though!!

I think the reason the motifs look a little funny is because it lays so differently when it is worn this way.

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 6th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Date: 2/6/2008 7:58:51 PM

Date: 2/6/2008 4:45:57 PM
The Cambridge Emerald earrings. I think Diana is wearing them - on loan from the Queen - in the second picture of her I posted.

I checked the photo in my book and it''s not much better, but the shape doesn''t quite fit to my eyes. Could Diana''s earrings in the pic be the pendant parts to the dangly ones she is wearing in the other pic? Image

I don''t think that the earrings are the bottom part of the pendants.. maybe they are just a bit twisted & not laying straight on her ear?

I know there are better pictures from this occasion out there so I will keep my eyes peeled.

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 6th, 2008, 6:00 pm

*snicker-snicker*

Doesnt this crown look like the one Glenda the good witch wore in Oz?

JK Rowling

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:33 pm
Trawled through some archives yesterday & came up with some more photos of Diana wearing the Cambridge choker. This one (painfully thin) in 1982.
Attachments
diana11-1982.jpg
diana11-1982.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:34 pm
And here arriving for an event in 1981 with Prince Charles. I think this was the first time she wore the choker. This was also the only other one I was able to find so far where she appears to possibly be wearing the Cambridge Earrings as well.
Attachments
diana11-1981.jpg
diana11-1981.jpg (39.93 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:37 pm
Diana wearing the choker in December 1982. This one is interesting to me because the dress is one of the ones she didn''t wear frequently & it''s sort of an odd combination with the emeralds.
Attachments
diana12-1982.jpg
diana12-1982.jpg (40.81 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:40 pm
Now a set of the most famous Cambridge Choker appearance - Diana wearing it as a headband in Australia in 1985.
Attachments
dianaaustralia1985.jpg
dianaaustralia1985.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:41 pm
I like this one - it''s a rather unusual shot and gives a good look at the choker.
Attachments
dianaaustralia1985a.jpg
dianaaustralia1985a.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:42 pm
And another - dancing with Charles.
Attachments
dianaaustralia1985b.jpg
dianaaustralia1985b.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:43 pm
This one gives a good look at the choker as well.
Attachments
dianaaustralia1985c.jpg
dianaaustralia1985c.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by LadyAmythyst69 » February 7th, 2008, 1:45 pm
The most unusual of all the pictures I found is this one of Diana kissing Prince Philip. It looks to be from the late 1980''s. Diana is wearing a green velvet dress.
Attachments
dianaphilipcambridgechoker.jpg
dianaphilipcambridgechoker.jpg (29.83 KiB) Viewed 4616 times

Post by SanDiegoLady » February 7th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Date: 2/7/2008 7:34:37 PM
And here arriving for an event in 1981 with Prince Charles. I think this was the first time she wore the choker. This was also the only other one I was able to find so far where she appears to possibly be wearing the Cambridge Earrings as well.

She actually had three pair of these drop earrings. One sapphire, one ruby and one emerald. I remember having seen them in photos I''ve got buried in my garage.. :X

JK Rowling

12190 posts • Page 40 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, ..., 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, ..., 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 200, 300, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces