carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1362930114|3401242 said:
(...)
Which ruby & diamond necklace did he try to buy from the Waleses? That's an interesting story I hadn't heard.

--- Laurie

Here is the drawing of Margaret of Connaught's wedding presents:
wedconnaught.jpg

And a crop from the original. Apparently, the necklace was meant to complement the ruby tiara from the Prince & Princess of Wales.
margrubyneck.jpg

PS: The Turkish State Visit is going on as planned, only that the family is in mourning. Looking forward to photots from the banquet.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for all the info, Bobby, & answering my questions. I am fascinated by P. Lilian's necklace -- realized when I saw a larger photo of it this morning that there were also emeralds in it & that it was seed pearls. What a unique & graceful piece. Agree with you about a family foundation for the jewels; it keeps them safe from sale as well as making them available to all the ladies.

I figured there were no bad feelings re Carl-Johan, but thanks for confirming. Marrying a commoner in past times often led to family breaks -- the Romanovs come to mind -- but I think in closer to modern times it wasn't as frowned upon. Not an issue anymore, thank goodness.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
In reading the story of Princess Lilian, I find it amazing that just 30 short years ago, marrying a commoner was enough to knock you out of the line of succession. I am glad for all parties involved in all royal families today that there is more emphasis on marrying a person you love, rather than a person with a fancy pedigree.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A résumé from last night's banquet:
The Queen wore Queen Sofia's diamond tiara, Queen Victoria's diamond riviere with pendant, the small pearl drop earrings and a matching brooch - #1
The Crown Princess wore the Cut steel bandeau with the matching haircomb, the small diamond drop earrings and the lovely small diamond brooch Princess Lilian gave her when her engagement was announced (and which HRH wore at the press conference that day) - #2
Princess Christina wore the four-button tiara with pearl and diamond necklace, earrings and brooch - #3

Naturally, the royal ladies were dressed in black, as they are mourning the loss of a much loved and respected family member... ;(

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
While reading another blogger about royal jewels, it was noted that Princess Lilian had written a memoir (circa 2000), in it she noted that CP Victoria would inherit her Laurel Wreath. Has anyone read it, do we know of other pieces (besides CP Victoria engagement brooch) given to other family members? It appears that her jewels have been bequeathed and not given to the famiy foundation. Just curious. Thanks.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Judging from pictures from the Monaco Rose Ball, it looks like another lost opportunity to see a Le Ocean tiara debut. :blackeye:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1364177399|3412658 said:
Judging from pictures from the Monaco Rose Ball, it looks like another lost opportunity to see a Le Ocean tiara debut. :blackeye:

But the Rose Ball has never been a tiara event, Maria... I've hight expectations to see the Ocean tiara at the wedding in Stockholm, but in the same time I know it's unlikely to happen, as the Princely couple is unlikely to attend...

Back to the Rose Ball - The only things I liked were the Art Deco diamond sautoir that Princess Caroline wore (not so much the heart) and Uncle Karl's diamond and emerald butterfly brooch (also AD?). I also think that Princess Caroline's dress was a good '"transition" from Belle Epoque to Pop, the theme of the ball this year. And not to forget - The Princess' (Charlene) choker looked nice and appropriate, untill she took the jaket off...

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
From the British Monarchy's Facebook page:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend the State Opening of Parliament on Wednesday, 8th May. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will be accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Looking forward to The Duchess'first State Opening of Parliament and a good dose of glitter during daytime ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Two State Visits have been announced for next month:
- 4-5 April - from Finland to Denmark
- 16-18 April - from Sweden to Croatia

Naturally, the first would be the more glittering one. I hope we'll see the Danes all in their best (or second best in some cases) and that Queen Silvia would bring some nice jewels with her.

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I totally agree with you about the necklace Princess Caroline wore at the Rose Ball. Not sure about the heart either, but I kept looking at pictures of the diamond chain, really pretty. I thought Charlene had finally gone for glitter & was about to crow with delight -- sad disappointment.

Looking forward to the state visits for some sparkle!

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A question that the owners of Sir Hugh Roberts' The Queen's Diamonds might be able to answer - How was Queen Alexandra's pearl and diamond necklace altered to become longer, as often worn by Queen Elizabeth?

Thanks in advance!
Bobby

Fife_Lover

Rough_Rock
Hi Bobby,

I have been lurking here for the past week and have read all the almost 400 pages of this thread. I reached your last post and saw your question. I have the book and this is what it says:

(I am assuming you mean what Roberts refers to as "Queen Alexandra's Wedding Necklace"?)

"The necklace was worn by the Princess on her wedding day, 10 March 1863, and for the coronation in 1902. It passed subsequently, via Queen Mary, to Queen Elizabeth, who had it lengthened* and wore it frequently and from whom it was inherited by The Queen in 2002.

*Garrard RL3, fol. 142, 22 May 1937, 50 pounds sterling.

Not a really satisfactory answer, but that is all that the book says.

I love this thread, I have become completely addicted to it!

K.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, K., for the reply :) Yes, that's the necklace I was reffering to. A pity that the book doesn't give a precise answer... What about the new photos of the jewels, do they show the necklace in its new version? Maybe we can compare them with the old photo of the pearl and diamond demi-parure and find the onswer for ourselves ;-)

ETA - Welcome to the forum! I hope to see you posting more often :)
PS: Does your nick-name reffer to the Fife tiara?

Bobby

Fife_Lover

Rough_Rock
We certainly could - there is a huge full page photo of the necklace in its current form. I shall scan it and post it here over the coming weekend.

You're absolutely correct - my username refers to the Fife tiara! Oh boy, if there's one piece of jewellery I would sell a kidney for...

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum! =) I can't say I'm nearly as knowledgeable as some of you, but I DO have a love for royal jewellery, that's for sure!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1364317345|3413781 said:

But the Rose Ball has never been a tiara event, Maria... I've hight expectations to see the Ocean tiara at the wedding in Stockholm, but in the same time I know it's unlikely to happen, as the Princely couple is unlikely to attend...

I know it hasn't traditionally been a tiara event, but Charlene is the top lady in the land, and she could change it to a tiara event if she really wanted to. If I had a wedding tiara gift that went unworn for two full years I would!!! I can dream, right?!! ;-)

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1364317345|3413781 said:

I know it hasn't traditionally been a tiara event, but Charlene is the top lady in the land, and she could change it to a tiara event if she really wanted to. If I had a wedding tiara gift that went unworn for two full years I would!!! I can dream, right?!! ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1364424160|3414873 said:

Sure! We can dream! I do dream about royal jewels and more glittering royal get-togethers :D :D
But strictly speaking, Charlene isn't the hostess of the Rose Ball, so she can not change the dress code. She's on of the guests of honour at the event ;-)
Yet, she has missed two opportunities to wear her tiaras - the gala performance on the evening of the National Day, which is white tie, anyway! HSH's approach towards jewellery has changed since the wedding, don't you think? Just remeber the beautiful/large earrings and bracelets she wore before her marriage to The Prince... Honestly, I don't understand her at all...

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
I also share in the disappointment of Charlene continuing to not open her jewelry box, almost as disappointed with the Duchess of Cambridge. Although I suppose the DofC has a better excuse since they are not fulltime working royals yet. Anyway I digress, could someone please post a picture of the necklace worn by the Princes of Hanover? In the photos I have seen, the necklace is blocked by flowers. Thanks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is a big puzzle to me too, Bobby -- Charlene wore some very nice jewels before her marriage & looked beautiful in them. Now she never wears any I'd call "princess-ish." Some of her dresses would be so much improved with even a string of pearls or a diamond riviere, a brooch. I know a gem dealer who went recently to a reception in Monaco held by Prince Albert. Charlene was not there, but I told this fellow if he ever meets her to please BEG her to wear some jewels! :D

Here you go, Laurensmama, with apologies for watermarks. I included a bigger pic showing the chain, which I love. (I think Caroline went to the opposite extreme from her recent usual style -- her dress looks like a loan from her grandmother imo).

164429970.jpg

164561041.jpg

164397001.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1364507458|3415533 said:
It is a big puzzle to me too, Bobby -- Charlene wore some very nice jewels before her marriage & looked beautiful in them. Now she never wears any I'd call "princess-ish." Some of her dresses would be so much improved with even a string of pearls or a diamond riviere, a brooch. I know a gem dealer who went recently to a reception in Monaco held by Prince Albert. Charlene was not there, but I told this fellow if he ever meets her to please BEG her to wear some jewels! :D

Here you go, Laurensmama, with apologies for watermarks. I included a bigger pic showing the chain, which I love. (I think Caroline went to the opposite extreme from her recent usual style -- her dress looks like a loan from her grandmother imo).

LOL I hope your friend meets The Princess sooner than later ;-) A riviere in the Monagasque collection would be nice, also a sautior, a pearl rope, some statement earrings (like the Repossi she wore in Stockholm)... But more than anything - a Princess willing to wear them!
Oh boy! If only I had the money to buy the my dream collection of jewels and had a lovely wife to wear them... We do miss the likes of Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary (both British and Romanian) and Queen Frederike these days. Thank God we still have Queen Silvia and Queen-to-be Maxima :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1364436792|3415020 said:
I also share in the disappointment of Charlene continuing to not open her jewelry box, almost as disappointed with the Duchess of Cambridge. Although I suppose the DofC has a better excuse since they are not fulltime working royals yet. Anyway I digress, could someone please post a picture of the necklace worn by the Princes of Hanover? In the photos I have seen, the necklace is blocked by flowers. Thanks.

You're right - William & Catherine have a more normal life than the Queena and her children(-in-law). And not so many evening functions where HRH can show us some more bling, especially a tiara.

Here are some close-up photos of the Princess of Hanover's necklace, pendant and earrings - #1, #2, #3

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
OK, guys, lets liven up this board a bit, shall we... What do you think a perfect royal jewellery collection should consist of? What types of tiaras, necklaces, brooches, bracelets, whatever should be in it to make it perfect and (almost) complete? In other words, how does you dream royal jewellery collection look like?
I hope to read some interesting suggestions! There's a whole vault in my head already!

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Oh, my!

Let's start with tiaras...

BIG diamond for extraordinary events
medium sized diamond for state dinners, etc.
smaller diamond for casual wear around the palace!

Then, I'll need one of featuring each of:
pearl
amethyst
sapphire
emerald
ruby
aquamarine
Maybe something pink - topaz or sapphire
Something that will accommodate interchangeable pieces

Off the top of my head: Queen Sophie's Diamond Tiara, the Poltimore and Queen Jospehine's Diamond are the competitors for my big diamond affair.
Probably pick up the Fife for my "medium" and the Dutch rose cut bandeau for my casual wear.

Pearl - again from the Dutch either the Wuttermberg (so many configurations!) or the pearl upright
Amethyst - the Norway tiara/necklace
Sapphire - perhaps my favorite of the colored tiaras, the Swedish sapphires!
Emerald - the Delhi Durbar
Ruby - hard to think of a ruby that I covet, actually. Perhaps the Greek ruby, I don't have a "leafy" tiara, yet.
Aquamarine - Ena's. Easy. I bet it would be able to have other "dangly" bits so I could put other stones there, as well.
Pink - I think I would take Sylvia's topaz necklace and create something fabulous to put on my head.

Whew....that's a start.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Raise your hand if you read OoS.

Yeah, thought so! :D

I am happy with my own tiara collection. ;-) I wouldn't mind having the Danish ruby paraure or the emerald tiara from the French Crown Jewels though.

And if you keep your fingers crossed, I might have some good news in the tiara thread in the next couple of weeks!!

Fife_Lover

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1364743165|3417344 said:

I am happy with my own tiara collection. ;-) I wouldn't mind having the Danish ruby paraure or the emerald tiara from the French Crown Jewels though.

*waving hand* I read OoS, too!

Ahhh....these are the two of the same tiara's I covet, too, Lady M!!! I think the ruby paraure is so feminine and delicate. =) =)

Fife_Lover

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
What about the new photos of the jewels, do they show the necklace in its new version? Maybe we can compare them with the old photo of the pearl and diamond demi-parure and find the onswer for ourselves ;-)
Bobby

Ok, lets' see if I can get this baby to appear here:

qaweddingnecklace.jpg

jean95404

Rough_Rock
OMG Fife!!!! Take your PDF off of the posting RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!! Urgent!!! You could not have meant to post that to this board.

Please, no one else open this, it is quite private and needs to be kept secure for Fife's sake.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Fife_Lover|1364782711|3417700 said:
Ok, lets' see if I can get this baby to appear here:

Thanks :) I now see how the necklace was extended. Just like I had imagined, actually ;-) I hope that some day we'll see the shorter version again.

Here is a photo of the original:
qapearlset_0.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1364743165|3417344 said:

And if you keep your fingers crossed, I might have some good news in the tiara thread in the next couple of weeks!!

Of corse you are, Lady Maria! And I agree about the ruby and the emerald tiaras you mention. I absolutely love them!
But what about necklaces, brooches? Do you think there are musts in a dream royal collection?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
OK, so here's my dream (royal) jewelley collection!

I'll start with tiaras, as these are the fanciest jewels royal ladies get to wear:
1. A fringe, convertable into necklace - a most classical design, easy to wear and goes well with everything. Princess Marie-Chantal's is a great example, IMO.
2. A Victorian diamond spike tiara, also convertable - Victorian jewels are among my favourite and tiara from that era is a natural choice. Something along the lines of Queen Silvia's diamond tiara would be nice.
3. A Belle Epoque/Garland style tiara from Cartier with circles made of diamond wreths from which various pendants can be hung. I have an exact tiara in mind, from 1908 Link.
4. A smaller Victorian tiara with detachable pearl spikes - a piece like the smaller version of the pearl tiara in the Norwegian collection would do. I'd use the detachable pearls as an alternate setting for the Belle Epoque tiara, along with some aquamarine briollets. The rest can be worn at some minor event or by a young family member.
5. A wreth tiara of early 19c. design. The Benelux collections have just what I need :razz:
6. The likes of the Teck necklace/tiara, with the central diamonds removable to make place for sapphires/rubies/emeralds (yes. I'd need some loose stones)

Now the necklaces:
1. Two riveres of (graduaded) large diamonds - I just adore the style - so simple, so glittering and they go well with everything. I'd love to have something like the necklaces worn by Daisy and Silvia.
2. An Art Deco sautoir, divisable into bracelets/shorter necklaces, with a pendant hook.
3. A pearl choker - I have troubles choosing between a dog collar of seed pearls (as worn by Pss Madeleine and Alexandra v. S-W-B) and a simpler one (Queens Sonja and Anna Maria). In the end I'd pick both - one for day- and one for evening occasions. It's a dream collection, right :razz:
4. A necklace of large pealrs - longer than the Dutch and the Windsor ones.
5. My favourite - Imagine the necklace from the Greek ruby parure set with emeralds... You know it's a very long necklace, which can be shortened to suite the wearer/event. The detached part would make a matching bracelet. There would also be a pair of earrings and peandant brooch en suit.
6. A sapphire necklace - large coushon-cut sapphires within diamond frames, interspaced by a small sapphire on either side with a small diamond connecting each link. The necklace brakes to make two bracelets. An extender en suit.
7. Pearls and diamonds - A graduaded line of diamond quatrefoils with a pearl in the middle. 3 detachable pearl drops hang from the 3 central clusters.

Earrings:
1. Solitaire diamond earrings
2. Antique girandoles - Elizabeth II has a wonderful example of what I mean
3. Sapphire (cut), emerald (cab) and pearl cluster earrings
4. Something with rubies
5. Three pear-shaped diamonds- two to be worn as earrings, the other as pendant on a necklace/chain. All three can surve other purposes, as well.
6. Three pearl drops - the same
7. Something dangly wih rubies - just for colour. Maybe a pair simiral to the one Princess Margaret wore?

Bracelets:
1. Five rows of pearls with detachable diamond clasp
2. A pair of (late Victorian) diamond bracelets, which can be worn together as a choker.
3. An Art Deco bracelet - just because...
4. A delicate bracelet with rubies
5. A bangle, half set with diamonds. The Dutch have oneand I find rather pretty.

Brooches:
A large bow brooch with pendant hook
A large pearl and diamond cluster brooch with peandant
A large sapphire in a frame of diamonds with detachable pearl drop (think of Lady Grantham's). Adapted for use as clasp of the pearl bracelet.
A Garland style aquamarine, by Faberge
A set of 5 diamond stars - 1 large, 2 medium and 2 small (which also double as earrings)
A large cab emerald with diamonds
A floral spray

OK, that's pretty much everything. I know there are some omissions, but I'd leave them to the husband of the happy wearer ;-)
I hope to see what other people think and have to add :)

PS: Lady Maria, yes, I do read OoS, but I was not inspired by the blog. Actually, I wanted to ask this before, but I needed time to complete my list ;-)

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results