Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12182 posts • Page 381 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: Royal Jewels

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 20th, 2012, 4:36 am
Written by English Princess » July 19th, 2012, 6:40 pm:That is not the cover for Majesty's Diamond Jubilee issue. That is a picture of Majesty's The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Book. I do not have the cover for this issue of Majesty scanned into my computer, but looking at it, I can tell you the Queen is wearing the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace. The exact necklase pictured in Bobby's later post.

Well, I don't have this (or another) Majesty Magazine, but this is what appears on their site and FB account under 'Current Issue'. Thanks for mentioning my mistake, though :)
BTW, I already identified the necklace in my post from 17 Jul 2012, 22:56h.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 20th, 2012, 4:47 am
Written by sunshine996 » July 19th, 2012, 7:15 pm:I like Catherine's necklace, finally some bigger jewelry! I thought it was quite simple for it's price tag until I learned that it has pavé set diamonds in the main trinity of rings. I also thought the 5 rings, eluding to the Olympic symbol and I liked the colours of gold, eluding to the different medals, was a nice touch.

The necklace was, perhaps, the most appropriate jewel of all Windsor treasures to wear at this event. I've never been so happy with a jewel The Duchess has worn to date... But then again I love Cartier and I like sautoirs... The Duchess of Cambridge's Cartier sautoir LOL
But the price... I've seen tiaras sold for much less... I guess you buy a signature Cartier item (and it is a longterm investment) rather than a diamond necklace ;)
Here is a close-up - Photo by Indigo/Getty Images

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 20th, 2012, 4:49 am
Written by Fly Girl » July 19th, 2012, 9:03 pm:I found what looks to be her necklace on the British Cartier website. Gorgeous piece!

Your first photo shows the right necklace. The second one is a different piece ;)

Bobby

Post by JewelFreak » July 20th, 2012, 7:16 am
Diamonds or not, Cartier or not, the price still takes my breath away. Anyhow, I'll bet it was a 1st anniv. gift from cute hubby.

Post by Fly Girl » July 20th, 2012, 1:10 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » July 20th, 2012, 4:49 am:
Written by Fly Girl » July 19th, 2012, 9:03 pm:I found what looks to be her necklace on the British Cartier website. Gorgeous piece!

Your first photo shows the right necklace. The second one is a different piece ;)

Bobby

I agree, Bobby. After I posted the second picture I realized it was indeed different. Cartier has a whole collection, at various price points, of their Trinity necklace. What they have in common are the three rings motif.

Catherine's necklace is quite beautiful, and befitting royalty.
****** Life is a Journey, not a Destination. ******

Post by LadyMaria » July 20th, 2012, 3:37 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » July 16th, 2012, 3:39 pm:[center]There are a couple of hours till it's too late...
Happy 65th birthday, Your Royal Highness!

Another interesting tidbit from The Queen's Diamonds with regards to the Duchess of Cambridge...

The tiara (referring to the Duchess of Teck's Crescent Tiara) was inherited by The Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to the Duchess of Cornwall."

I do not know of any time she has worn it though.
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 21st, 2012, 2:18 pm
Written by LadyMaria » July 20th, 2012, 3:37 pm:
Another interesting tidbit from The Queen's Diamonds with regards to the Duchess of Cambridge...

The tiara (referring to the Duchess of Teck's Crescent Tiara) was inherited by The Queen in 2002 and has since been loaned to the Duchess of Cornwall."

I do not know of any time she has worn it though.

I'm sure you meant Cornwall, didn't you, Maria?
If HRH has worn the tiara it must've been for one of the (white tie) receptions for the Corps Diplomatique at Buckingham Palace. One of the secret glittering events in both the British and the Dutch Royal Courts.

I have been wondering about the pearl and diamond earrings The Duchess of Cornwall wore at Peter and Autumn Phillips' wedding. They have a simple cluster design and given that HRH has worn a lot of jewels from Queen Elizabeth's collection I do wonder if they might be the pair of three foil earrings that Her late Majesty often wore, the pair that belonged to Queen Victoria? Any thoughts?

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 21st, 2012, 2:38 pm
I jut remembered that on Juky 19th "The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, on behalf of The Queen in celebration of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee, [...] arrived in Guernsey and were received". For the visit HRH wore a pair of VC&A dragon-fly brooches - Photo, Close up. In some of the photos HRH was not wearing the pearl necklace. I hope the worse didn't happen...

On their third day to the Channel Islands HRH wore the lily of the valley brooch: Photo. This photo is quite lovely. I would've done the same :P

Bobby

Post by laurensmama » July 21st, 2012, 6:04 pm
I hope the necklace wasn't lost. Good grief how could that happen with all the press and other individuals there? Is it possible it is the photo angle?

Post by sunshine996 » July 21st, 2012, 8:41 pm
I really hope that HRH's pearl necklace didn't break! As laurensmama said, it would be impossible for there not to be photos of it breaking, but maybe they thought that it was in bad taste to publish such pictures, that is, if the necklace really did break. She could have just taken it off.

I also like the Lily of the Valley brooch. Is it Camilla's personal property or does it belong to the Crown?

Post by JewelFreak » July 22nd, 2012, 4:35 am
Where is Danny? Does anybody know? He hasn't posted in some time & lots of people miss him.

--- Laurie

Post by laurensmama » July 22nd, 2012, 9:59 am
Laurie, I was wondering the same thing. I hope everything is okay with him.

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 25th, 2012, 9:03 am
I'm happy to tell you that Danny is all right! You can see his last post (from 24 Jul 2012 16:51) here - Calling Danny! Where Are You?

Hope he'll join us here soon :)
Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 25th, 2012, 9:39 am
I was wondering if somebody might know on what occasion this photo of Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik was taken? There are photos of The Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara and Queen Mary's Lover's knot tiara in the same 'style', so I'd presume they were taken for the same purpose. Are they, perhaps, from Queen Mary's Jewellery Inventory?

Post by laurensmama » July 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm
Was thinking this morning as I was running errands, have we discussed all of the jewels in Princess Alexandria of Kent's possession? I know some of it has been because of the inheritance from her mother, but I was wondering did she inherit anything from Queen Mary? Thanks

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm
As far as I remember, we discussed Princess Alexandra's jewels earlier this year. HRH has some lovely pieces, but only few of them have past royal history. I believe that none of the pieces in Princess Alexandra's possession belonged to Queen Mary. Princess Marian left those who did were left to The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael.
It's a lovely idea to re-discuss HRH's jewels. One just never gets enough of them :P Any volunteers?

Bobby

Post by sunshine996 » July 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm
Well I don't know much about her jewelry, but I would be glad to share some pictures and the little information that I do know. Please feel free to correct me, and/or to add on, as always. ;)
Attachments
princessalexandraweddinggowntiara.jpg
Here she is with a lovely fringe tiara on her wedding day.
princessalexandraweddinggowntiara.jpg (159.41 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
princess-alexandra-of-kent-with-alexander-the-koala-during-the-royal-visit-in-1959-small.jpg
I love the koala in this picture! Does the tiara look familiar? It is one of Queen Mary's diamond bandeau that she wore with the emerald spikes. She is also wearing some nice bracelets and a pearl and diamond necklace. I also like these earrings.
princess-alexandra-of-kent-with-alexander-the-koala-during-the-royal-visit-in-1959-small.jpg (73.38 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
princess-alexandra-kent-clive-kandel-1.jpg
Those earrings again. She is wearing an interesting brooch, I wish there was a better picture. I would also like to look at a better picture of her tiara.
princess-alexandra-kent-clive-kandel-1.jpg (67.3 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
npk001015.jpg
Her necklace here is a copy of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Necklace, without the crown though.
npk001015.jpg (113.38 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Post by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Question in picture #1 posted by Sunshine of Princess Alexandria's wedding, maybe it is the hairstyle, but is this a different fringe tiara from the one QEII wore? I realize this was at one time a very popular design.

Post by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Question in picture #2 posted by Sunshine, is it possible that Princess Alexandria owns the bandeau tiara now? When was this photo taken before or after Queen Mary's death?

Post by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Question in photo #3 posted by Sunshine does anyone know anything about the tiara, does it still exist, history? I remember her wearing other tiaras at state dinners but not the one pictured.

Post by BubblyBear » July 26th, 2012, 5:12 pm
Written by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:14 pm:Question in picture #2 posted by Sunshine, is it possible that Princess Alexandria owns the bandeau tiara now? When was this photo taken before or after Queen Mary's death?

This photo is a great find! It was taken on a visit to Australia in 1959. QM passed away in 1953.

See this caption: http://trove.nla.gov.au/picture/result?src=nla.cs-pa&q=%22http%3A%2F%2Fhdl.handle.net%2F10462%2Fderiv%2F87324%22

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 26th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Written by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:14 pm:Question in picture #2 posted by Sunshine, is it possible that Princess Alexandria owns the bandeau tiara now? When was this photo taken before or after Queen Mary's death?

As has already been answered, the photo was taken in 1959, 6 years after Queen Mary passed away.
Here is what I wrote about this bandeau on page 379 -
This bandeau is among the few jewels that Queen Mary bought, rather than ordered. HM purchased it in 1925 from Gerrard's and left it to Princess Marina in her will. The top part was re-constructed into a fringe tiara for the current Duchess of Kent and only the base remains from the original bandeau.

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 26th, 2012, 5:40 pm
Written by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm:Question in photo #3 posted by Sunshine does anyone know anything about the tiara, does it still exist, history? I remember her wearing other tiaras at state dinners but not the one pictured.

Possibly it still exists in somebody's collection. I'm afraid, however, that it has long since left the Kent collection. This bandeau depicts diamond snakes guarding their eggs (formed by pearls). It was among Princess Elena of Greece&Denmark's gifts to her daughter Marina on the occasion of her marriage to The Duke of Kent. Princess Marina wore it most notably at the Silver Wedding Anniversary of Queen Juliana & Prince Bernhard.I believe that at some point the bandeau was made convertible to a necklace (that's how it was sold) with two of the circles removed and turned into earrings (also sold).

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 26th, 2012, 5:50 pm
Written by laurensmama » July 26th, 2012, 4:13 pm:Question in picture #1 posted by Sunshine of Princess Alexandria's wedding, maybe it is the hairstyle, but is this a different fringe tiara from the one QEII wore? I realize this was at one time a very popular design.

It's a different one. The fringe tiara that Princess Elizabeth wore was made for Queen Mary in 1919. The fringe that Princess Alexandra wore was a wedding present to Princess Marina from the Cooperation of City of London and was made in the late XIX century. It is now in Princess Michael's possession.
Although both show a very popular design, there are obvious differences when both are shown side by side. What's more the latter dosn't covert to necklace ;)

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 26th, 2012, 6:08 pm
Written by sunshine996 » July 25th, 2012, 9:13 pm:Well I don't know much about her jewelry, but I would be glad to share some pictures and the little information that I do know. Please feel free to correct me, and/or to add on, as always. ;)

Thanks :) This draws a general outline of what Princess Alexandra has worn over the years in terms of jewels. I shall mention that the simple diamond and pearl drop necklace and the beautiful large pearl and diamond pendant brooch haven't been seen in ages and probably have been sold long ago. They were what HRH wore as young girl at important events (f.e. the necklace at the 1953 Coronation).

Among Princess Alexandra's more important jewels are a sapphire necklace, a pearl and diamond choker, emerald/diamond drop/ruby and sapphire earrings. HRH also was a short diamond riviere and a 4-row pearl choker with a large detachable emerald and diamond centerpiece with pendant. This is one of the few jewels she inherited from her mother.

Just not to forget - the pearls in the clover necklace can be replaced by turquoises, as can be the pearls in the tiara (in addition to sapphires, to match the necklace).

Bobby

Post by sunshine996 » July 26th, 2012, 8:29 pm
Aw, it's too bad that the pearl and diamond necklace and brooch are probably sold. :(( They are such lovely pieces and I would have loved to see them worn out in public again.

More pictures:
Attachments
picture1-3.jpg
Another picture with the brooch and earrings. I'm not sure if it is the same necklace.
picture1-3.jpg (117.31 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
alexandrakentyoung.jpg
Diamond earrings.
alexandrakentyoung.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Post by laurensmama » July 27th, 2012, 4:22 pm
Thank you for the prompt response to my questions, I thought the fringe tiaras were different. Also in the new pictures posted, what is Princess Alexandra wearing in her hair? Is that a star tiara or hair pins? Very interesting have never seen that before.

Also as a side note the forum was down for a while, does anyone know what happened? A great deal of work has been put into this forum it would be ashamed if it was deleted. Thanks

Post by laurensmama » July 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm
Also does anyone know anything about the ear rings Catherine wore to the opening ceremony? They are dangles with what appears to be large hoops that sparkle? Costume? Real?

Post by JewelFreak » July 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm
Oh, a fun video!! Sorry to go off-subject but had to share this. Just happened upon it on a blog.

Queen Elizabeth giving a tour of the Imperial State Crown
http://rosecestlavie.blogspot.com/2009/11/tiara-time.html

Scroll down about 2 inches -- video is on the left beneath the photo of HM in the State Carriage. She isn't spot on regarding all details -- calls it the Black Prince's Ruby, for instance, but it is neat to see.

--- Laurie

Post by sunshine996 » July 27th, 2012, 8:01 pm
Written by laurensmama » July 27th, 2012, 4:26 pm:Also does anyone know anything about the ear rings Catherine wore to the opening ceremony? They are dangles with what appears to be large hoops that sparkle? Costume? Real?

I think that they are aquamarines with diamonds, possibly a custom Kiki McDonough (The same jewelry designer as her citrine drop earrings).

P.S. The Queen looked very nice in her blue and pink outfits!
Attachments
581263_444370208919135_1756029133_n.jpg
581263_444370208919135_1756029133_n.jpg (123.23 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
article-2179920-143f9a14000005dc-395_964x633.jpg
article-2179920-143f9a14000005dc-395_964x633.jpg (178.58 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
d7a9cd14a1d96368_149362866_10_xxxlarge.jpg
d7a9cd14a1d96368_149362866_10_xxxlarge.jpg (104.28 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

12182 posts • Page 381 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 379, 380, 381, 382, 383, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces