shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Really enjoyed the picture of QEII and the Countess of Wessex side by side. The tiara is one I have never seen before and it is beautiful. I started wondering what other pieces does QEII have in her "private collection?" I realize that this question will probably never be fully answered. However, I was surprised :o that such a substantial piece stayed hidden for so long. Are there any other substantial/unique pieces that have appeared once or twice and then disappeared (that we have not discussed before)? Photos anyone?

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Bobby, I don't know much about this necklace but am very interested. Can you tell/show more?
I mean the amethyst neckalce that Camilla wore.

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
WithinDemise|1351124584|3291762 said:

Thanks for these, WithinDemise! This certainly was a State Banquet can be used as an example of royal splendour during a State Visit (Beatrix, are you reading?).
It was a lovely surprise to see the pearl and aquamarine (and spphire and diamond) choker on Mary again. I must say that I like it better with the large studs, than either of the aquamarine and diamond earrings HRH has worn with it so far (and with that same dress on a few other state banquets and galas).
I wish Princess Marie had a substantial necklace too. Honestly, I get a bit tired seeing her with a tiara and earrings only. Not even large bracelets... Quite a contrast from Countess Alexandra... (I hate comparing people, but isn't it due here?)
About Princess Benedikte I can only say one word - style. She is her mother's daughter indeed! I wouldn't have pinned the devant-de-corsage there and woldn't have worn this necklace, but I can forgive her LOL BTW, has HRH worn the dress before?
What can I say about Margrethe... This gown again? Just 5 days later? Seriously? And with almost the same selection of jewles... But Daisy is Daisy - she won't change (pun intended) ;-)

Here are a couple of extra, closer photos of Mary & Marie and their jewels - HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark & HRH Princess Marie of Denmark

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Scotsgirl|1351104934|3291553 said:
Bobby, I don't know much about this necklace but am very interested. Can you tell/show more?

Well, I don't know much about it. I know that the necklace is featured in either Field or Menkes' books (or both) with a slightly wrong describtion and no photos. The necklace, as given to Lady Elizabeth, has been sketched in the ILN of the time and it's from this photo/sketch that we draw our conclusion that Camilla wore a redesigned version of it. Also, there are photographs of Queen Alexandra wearing a large heart-shaped coloured stone in a frame of diamonds pinned on the collar of her day dress. In the same photograph HM's also wearing a very long necklace, which might've been the source of the amethysts and pearls fro the later jewel. As of 1923 the necklace consisted of two lines (one shorter than he other) of three rows of seed pearls. The shorter line is divided in equal part by 9 stones, while there are 11 the longer (outer) line of pearls. Both a joined at the front by the large amethyst heart.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I don't think I explained how the necklace looked in 1923 really well. In case you've not understood me, imagine a longer version of the seed pearls/amethysts combo that Cornwall wore as the outer line of the neckace. I'm sure photos of Queen Alexandra's gift are available on-line.

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Princess Madeleine is engaged! Official announcement states Christopher O'Neill proposed in early October.

Can't find a clear close-up of ring yet.

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1351127353|3291788 said:
Scotsgirl|1351104934|3291553 said:

Well, I don't know much about it. I know that the necklace is featured in either Field or Menkes' books (or both) with a slightly wrong describtion and no photos. The necklace, as given to Lady Elizabeth, has been sketched in the ILN of the time and it's from this photo/sketch that we draw our conclusion that Camilla wore a redesigned version of it. Also, there are photographs of Queen Alexandra wearing a large heart-shaped coloured stone in a frame of diamonds pinned on the collar of her day dress. In the same photograph HM's also wearing a very long necklace, which might've been the source of the amethysts and pearls fro the later jewel. As of 1923 the necklace consisted of two lines (one shorter than he other) of three rows of seed pearls. The shorter line is divided in equal part by 9 stones, while there are 11 the longer (outer) line of pearls. Both a joined at the front by the large amethyst heart.

Thank you, Bobby!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1351161797|3291975 said:
Princess Madeleine is engaged! Official announcement states Christopher O'Neill proposed in early October.

Great news! Wishing the couple all the best!!! :)
And I do hope it works for the Princess this time...

The Swedish Royal Court has published some HQs of the happy couple and we get to see a decent photo of the ring!
Photo1 Photo2 Photo3

PS: Note Princess Madeleine's earrings. Lovely, but are they real?

ETA - Those interested can see Mr O'Neill's bio (in Swedish) here - Link

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know how many carats the ruby is in Fergie's engagment ring? It looks way smaller than Diana's ER ceylon beauty.

AmayasV

Rough_Rock
"Love them all"
queens1.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1351174573|3292086 said:
BubblyBear|1351161797|3291975 said:

Great news! Wishing the couple all the best!!! :)
And I do hope it works for the Princess this time...

The Swedish Royal Court has published some HQs of the happy couple and we get to see a decent photo of the ring!
Photo1 Photo2 Photo3

PS: Note Princess Madeleine's earrings. Lovely, but are they real?

ETA - Those interested can see Mr O'Neill's bio (in Swedish) here - Link

For some reason the links fo the photos don't work... You can see them (and other portraits of HRH) in this link - Pressbilder på Prinsessan Madeleine. You have to click on a photo and then chose the first Hämta bild to see the HQ.

Christopher O'Neill's biography in English can be seen here - Link

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AmayasV|1351255929|3292771 said:
"Love them all"
queens1.jpg

I suppose this collage is ment to show the three Queens regrant and the consorts of the other currently reigning European monarchs. Is that right?
Whatever the case,, I agree with you - Love them all!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night the annual gala dinner for the Norwegian MPs took place at the Royal Palace in Oslo. The Queen wore (the copy of) Queen Maud's pearl and diamond tiara, her pearl choker, the pearl drop earrings, Queen Maud's pearl and Queen Maud's pearl and diamond corsage brooch and three-row bracelet (basically the same jewels as last year, though with a different added strand of pearls); It's a bit difficult to say, but it looks like Princess Astrid wore the Vasa tiara with a diamond collet necklace, diamond earrings and Queen Maud's bow brooch, also a bracelet with a large cameo

Photos - Close up, Full length

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Friends, I hope you're all alright!!! Haven't heard from you in almost a week and with the recent new about the situation in the USA I'm starting to worry about the American posters! Hope you're too busy with work, family or theat you just want a break from royal jewels and that nothing has happened to you or your loved ones!

Wishing you all the best of luck! And hope to see you posting here soon!
Yours,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth II of the UK of GB & NI has been wearing some of the gems last & this night!
Last night it were Queen Mary's ruby and diamond cluster earrings, a (Art Deco) ruby and diamond bracelet, evening watch and three rows of pearls - a dowble strand and a longer single one - at the gala performance of 'Our Extraordinary World' at The Royal Opera House - Necklaces and earrings and Bracelet and watch
I'd call this a missed oportunity for an outing of the Baring rubies, a necklace that would've standed out more against the withe gown...

This night at the State Banquet for the President of Indonesia HM wore the Vladimir tiara with Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace and large pearl drop earrings - Hosts & Guests
In the backgrownd we can see Sophie Wessex with the dress HRH wore in Luxembourg. Not sure about her tiara and other jewels.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Apparently The Princess Royal was the second most senior royal lady this evening, leaving The Countess of Wessex third. HRH wore her festoon tiara and bow and festoon diamond necklace with diamond drop earrings - Photo

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ruby earrings are amazing. But not a fan of the wedding-like dress with the pearls-not a great fashion choice. I love the crown the Queen is wearing-my favorite in the next post.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1351718956|3296430 said:
(...)

This night at the State Banquet for the President of Indonesia HM wore the Vladimir tiara with Queen Victoria's Jubilee necklace and large pearl drop earrings - Hosts & Guests
In the backgrownd we can see Sophie Wessex with the dress HRH wore in Luxembourg. Not sure about her tiara and other jewels.

Bobby

From the Court Circular: The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh gave a State Banquet this evening in honour of The President of the Republic of Indonesia and Mrs. Yudhoyono at which The Prince of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent were present.

This menas that we know what all royal ladies wore - the Vladimir tiara for The Queen, the Festoon tiara for The Princess Royal and the Canada Aquamarine tiara for The Countess of Wessex.

Looking forward to the banquet at the Guildhall this evening. I hope the Duchess of Gloucester will be present. I've been missing her glamour recently!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1351779517|3296820 said:
The ruby earrings are amazing. But not a fan of the wedding-like dress with the pearls-not a great fashion choice. I love the crown the Queen is wearing-my favorite in the next post.

The crown is in fact a tiara ;-) Agree b=about the dress ;-)

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
I will always love the Vladmir tiara! :love:

What is the Canadian Aquamarine tiara? Is it the one with one large central stone?

I hope everyone is okay up in North East America!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while.

_1645.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1351801598|3296960 said:
I will always love the Vladmir tiara! :love:

What is the Canadian Aquamarine tiara? Is it the one with one large central stone?

I hope everyone is okay up in North East America!

Sorry I haven't posted for a while.

No, this tiara is commonly known as (The Countess of Wessex's) Aquamarine & diamond tiara/necklace. The one I mean is the aquamarine tiara worn by HRH at the recent wedding in Luxembourg and by The Queen is Canada sometine in the early 1970s (hence the name).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Mirror has a very nice photo of some of Elizabeth II's sapphire jewels - tiara, necklace, bracelet, earrings, rings and diamond watch - in one of Queen Mary's trays. I suppose this is how the jewles are given to The Queen to put on for an event, rather than how they are stored ;-) The picture comes from Angela Kelly's book on HM's outfits, Dressing The Queen.

The Queen's Sapphires and an unknown photo of HM with some of her modern diamond jewels and the DJ portrait gown - Photo.
Do we know sth about the bracelet in the second picture? Is it a set with the modern diamond choker?

ETA - the article in the Mirror - From Bond to banquets: Revealed - the secrets of The Queen's wardrobe wonders

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I realize that QE II received many jewels from Queen Mary either as personal gifts or because she is the Queen. However, I was wondering what did QEII receive (in either capacity) that originated with Queen Alexandria. There is so much history attached to some of these jewels, I was hoping to learn some more. Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1352406573|3301350 said:
Hello everyone,

I realize that QE II received many jewels from Queen Mary either as personal gifts or because she is the Queen. However, I was wondering what did QEII receive (in either capacity) that originated with Queen Alexandria. There is so much history attached to some of these jewels, I was hoping to learn some more. Thanks.

This is not an easy question because we don't know the extent of Queen Alexandra's collection and the extent of Queen Elizabeth II's collection. For sure we know that the Kokoshnik (a Silver Wedding present to QA) and the pearl and diamond demi-parue (the PoW's wedding present) are still with the Queen. Other jewels from QA's collection is the diamond riviere from the Cooperation of the City of London and the Dagmar necklace. The Duchess of Cornwall has also worn some of QA's jewels - the PoW feather brooch (if there is just one), the large Leek brooch (from the ladies of North Wales, I believe), emerald drop earrigs and a bangle with a large cat's eye cabochon. The pearl and amethyst neckkace that HRH wore at the premiere of Skyfall was also originally QA's, though it's been altered since.

Naturally, neither of these jewels came to The Queen directly from her great-grandmother, as QA died half an year before Princess Elizabeth of York was born. Some of them were inherited by George V/Queen Mary (and stayed with her) while others were given to Queen Elizabeth (QEQM) in 1923 or the years after 1936.

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

On the Sartorial Order blogspot, I saw a few small photos of Princess Maxima wearing a red dress and some lovely emeralds (a few posts ago, not too many). The pictures were not the best, so we may have already discussed them, but I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on them. Have always been partial to emeralds as they are my birthstone. Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1352851401|3305817 said:
Hello everyone,

On the Sartorial Order blogspot, I saw a few small photos of Princess Maxima wearing a red dress and some lovely emeralds (a few posts ago, not too many). The pictures were not the best, so we may have already discussed them, but I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on them. Have always been partial to emeralds as they are my birthstone. Thanks.

I was going to post about Maxima wearing the emeralds yesterday, but had other work to do... Princess Maxima wore a bracelets, pair of pendant earrings and butterfly brooch in diamonds and emeralds. The brooch and bracelet are from the O-N collection, while the earrings are her own. The bracelet is part the family's emerald parure, though it hardly matches the design of the tiara and the necklace (the O-Ns have the habit to assamble parures piece by piece, rather than having them done at the same time and in the same style).
HRH also wore her diamond set (Channel?) watch.

Early Christmas spirit - /#1
Close-up of the bracelet - #2
Close-up of the butterfly - #3

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results