shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

The Dehli Durbar Tiara was slightly too high for me to see fittings, but I did think it was more flared than when worn by HM QM - which I think is very charicteristic of its move from velvet lined diadem for a grand state occation to that of an amazing tiara that is really evening wear now. It is a complete circlet which no picture had ever really shown off and I got a better sense of how so many of the Cambridge Emeralds were fitted on to it. I must say the emerald necklace that was made with it was breathetaking, lined up with the other Cullinan diamonds. The "granny's chips" were just to die for, and the frame that holds them together is very simple and unobtrusive.

The corronation necklace did not disapoint, the shear number of big diamonds in it makes the mind boggle.

It was nice to see the small crown again, last I saw it was in 1994 on my last trip to the Tower. I didn't really look for the clips to remove the arches, but then again I think thats a testement to the craftmenship - you just don't notice!

Neil

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Swedish King & Queen were in NY a couple of days ago to attend a gala dinner after the 5th Annual Green Summit. At the dinner HM wore Princess Sibylla's long pearl necklace with her modern diamond wave earrings. I'm sure those of you who follow Queen Silvia's fashion will recognise the evenig dress ;-)
Any inforamtion on Princess Madeleine's earrings is welcome.
Photos can e foud here - DM article

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349552732|3280639 said:
I envy you, Neil! What an experiance it must've been to see the Culinans and the other jewels in real life! Most reports that I've read on this exhibit agree with what you say about the size & qulity of the stones in the South African diamond necklace (and also about Queen Victoria's small crown). Did you see the clips and mechanisms that allow the various tiaras and crowns to take diferent forms?
I'm not surprised you were taken by the Diamond diadem, as it's a masterpiece of Georgian jewellery and a very regal piece, as well.
It's nice to read that we share a fav crown - The Imperial Crown of India ;-)

Best,
Bobby
Thanks for the extra info, dear Neil :)
I agree about the DD tiara. May I add that for me without the diamond bars on top and the emeralds it looks more wearable ;-) A pity that we don't see it more often. I wonder if another State Visit from one of Elizabeth II's cousins might merit an outing of this one...
BTW, when is the exhibition ending?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
One last question - what did you think of the sword from the Maharajah of Jaipur & Queen Alexandra's Coronation fan, perhaps the two items with the least coverage?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349554833|3280655 said:
One last question - what did you think of the sword from the Maharajah of Jaipur & Queen Alexandra's Coronation fan, perhaps the two items with the least coverage?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Alas the exhibition ends tomorrow October 7th - as the Palace ceases to be open to the public until next summer.

I didn't get near the fan, but the sword I got right up to, it was impressive to say the least. The detail of the goldsmithing to which the gems are afixed was incredible. I was also struck by the fringe tiara and how large the diamonds in each spine of it are.

I have to say the Cullinan IX was probably the only piece that could be worn outside of royal circles - it just looked fairly ordinary, only the history really makes it special.

The DD Tiara really does work better as a tiara with out the emeralds, and I love that when she could have had a new crown for the DD, HM QM went with a grand diadem that she could convert to a tiara, I like utility in jewelery design! I would love to see a colour picture of the Diadem with the velvet cap and emeralds, it must have been impressive.

Neil

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Hahah It's interesting to read that a 4.4 carat diamond of great quality looks "fairly ordinary" :D But I understand what you mean.
Agree about the Durbar tiara! And what a birthday present Queen Mary received! I also love versatile jewels and this one sure was. I had hoped The Queen would wear it, at least for a State portrait, but The Duchess of Cornwall managed it pretty well ;-)
BTW, in a video about the exhibition I think I saw (and was quite surprised to see so) that the Delhi Durbar tiara gets ''shorter'' at the back. Is this true or was this an ilusion on my part?

Once again thanks for the report and replies, Neil!
Best,
Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Bobby, I know its a bizare thing to say about such a diamond, but set in a not very fancy setting as it is, it looks like something a Hollywood A-lister might have been given by her soon-to-husband. In contrast, the next 6 stones up look truly eye wateringly grand in their respective settings. Needless to say the C I and C II just stand out!

I can report that the DD tiara does indeed get slightly smaller as it goes back, though the Cambridge Emeralds went all the way round too (11 in total according to the book). HM QM clearly had an eye on both the use as a diadem and as a tiara when comissioning it, as the height difference is very subtle and almost goes unnoticed is pictures of the DD in 1911. The velvet cap would have hidden it to a certain extent.

Delhi_durbar_1911.jpg

on the subject of QM's jewels, I was amazed to discover that her crown from 1910 was 1) made mostly from silver (platinum was widely used by top-level jewelers at this point), 2) paid for by her own private income. 3) NOT made by the then crown jeweller. And 4) it was intended to be used by all subsequent Queen's Consort. Only QM's attendence at the 1937 corronation led to the need for HM QEQM's crown to be made. Again, always with an eye to utility she had it designed to have the arches removed - she always had adaptation in mind!

Neil

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1349799872|3282222 said:
(...)

on the subject of QM's jewels, I was amazed to discover that her crown from 1910 was 1) made mostly from silver (platinum was widely used by top-level jewelers at this point), 2) paid for by her own private income. 3) NOT made by the then crown jeweller. And 4) it was intended to be used by all subsequent Queen's Consort. Only QM's attendence at the 1937 corronation led to the need for HM QEQM's crown to be made. Again, always with an eye to utility she had it designed to have the arches removed - she always had adaptation in mind!

Neil

Really?! What are your sources for that, Neil? All I've read suggests that Queen Mary's crown was made by Garrard & Co, the Crown Jeweller of the time. And my sources include the Royal Collection's site, which is a reliable source IMO.
See here for a detailed description and HQ photos - Queen Mary's Crown (note the claslps/hinges at the base of the Crown).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Since tomorrow evening there will be a State Banquet in Oslo in the Finish President's honour, I started wondering what we might see on the royal heads and necks...
How about the large verion of the pearl and diamond tiara for The Queen, one diamond riviere with pearl pendant and the pearl pendant earrings? And the Crown Princess might look great with her diamond tiara on top of a hair do like the one at the private party for Aunt Daisy's 70th birthday. The pearl choker has been in its box for some time now, so why not bring it out and pair it with some lovely pearl and diamond earrings, or better still leave the pearls and don some of your emeralds, YRH ;-)
A pity that there won't be more royal ladies attending, but even this is more than what we've seen in the past months... Naturally, I would've suggested some of the other jewels, but lets not forget that it's less than a month since Princess Ragnhild passed away (May she rest in peace!).
Any other gueses/suggestions?

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

You are quite right about Garrads for QM crown, it was Queen Alexandra's that was made by Carringtons, but that QM's crown is silver etc is from "The Crown Jewels" by Anna Keay. A wonderful book on sale in at the Tower and Buckingham Palace. On another point, it has some amazing pictues, including the frame for Queen Adelaide's crown!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1349805154|3282279 said:
Bobby,

You are quite right about Garrads for QM crown, it was Queen Alexandra's that was made by Carringtons, but that QM's crown is silver etc is from "The Crown Jewels" by Anna Keay. A wonderful book on sale in at the Tower and Buckingham Palace. On another point, it has some amazing pictues, including the frame for Queen Adelaide's crown!

Does the book mention what happened to the diamonds from Queen Adelaide's Crown? I presume they were only 'hired' for the Coronation and then returned to the jeweller, right?

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349806719|3282285 said:
neil31uk|1349805154|3282279 said:
Bobby,

Does the book mention what happened to the diamonds from Queen Adelaide's Crown? I presume they were only 'hired' for the Coronation and then returned to the jeweller, right?

You are half way there Bobby, the stones were taken from other royal jewels and temporally set in the crown, being removed after the coronation. She declinded to use the crown of Mary of Modena, thinking it to be in to poor a state of repair. William the IV refused to hire diamonds to be set in his state crown (which were perminatly set with the Black Prince's Ruby, Stuart Sapphire, Edward the Confessors sapphire and Elizabeth I's pearls, but paste in place of diamonds until a coronation) as he hated the whole coronation etc.

Neil

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
That's all very interesting information about William IV, Neil :) Thanks for mentioning it, as I don't think I've read it before.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night HRH Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy attended a galal at the Royal Academy of Arts. HRH wore her three row pearl choker, emerald earrings and a lovely emerald and diamond butterfly brooch:
princess_alexandra_ra_now_gala_event_arrivals_j24stnll_ydx.jpg
A good HQ - Stuart Wilson/Getty Images Europe

I wonder is there are other, better photos of the Princess' bracelets - Photo1, Photo2

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bobby-

In regard to your comment on the tiara that Sophie of Wessex wore to the gala the night before the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik, please see the blurb I got from another Internet source. As you will note, it says that there has been "some speculation" that the tiara was on loan from a jeweler. It also states that it is a tiara in "the British tiara collection", an entity of which I have never heard. I had previously seen somewhere that "the button tiara" was one of the tiaras belonging to the British royal family ...but not necessarily somewhere reliable! Can we look into this tiara further?

Diamond Button Tiara - (Great Britain)

Worn by the Countess of Wessex at the pre-wedding gala of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson in Denmark

This is a rare tiara in the collection of tiaras in the British tiara collection. This tiara has a diamond floral element taken from a tiara that belonged to Prince Philip’s mother Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark. Though there is some speculation this tiara was a loan from a jeweler since it has not been seen on the Countess of Wessex again.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349804327|3282267 said:
Since tomorrow evening there will be a State Banquet in Oslo in the Finish President's honour, I started wondering what we might see on the royal heads and necks...
How about the large verion of the pearl and diamond tiara for The Queen, one diamond riviere with pearl pendant and the pearl pendant earrings? And the Crown Princess might look great with her diamond tiara on top of a hair do like the one at the private party for Aunt Daisy's 70th birthday. The pearl choker has been in its box for some time now, so why not bring it out and pair it with some lovely pearl and diamond earrings, or better still leave the pearls and don some of your emeralds, YRH ;-)
A pity that there won't be more royal ladies attending, but even this is more than what we've seen in the past months... Naturally, I would've suggested some of the other jewels, but lets not forget that it's less than a month since Princess Ragnhild passed away (May she rest in peace!).
Any other gueses/suggestions?

Bobby

Just as long as there are glittering tiaras, I'll be happy!

I'm gearing up for the activity I do in my classes where I dress up as a queen. I'll post pics soon in the tiara thread!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1349828234|3282486 said:
Bobby-

In regard to your comment on the tiara that Sophie of Wessex wore to the gala the night before the wedding of Crown Prince Frederik, please see the blurb I got from another Internet source. As you will note, it says that there has been "some speculation" that the tiara was on loan from a jeweler. It also states that it is a tiara in "the British tiara collection", an entity of which I have never heard. I had previously seen somewhere that "the button tiara" was one of the tiaras belonging to the British royal family ...but not necessarily somewhere reliable! Can we look into this tiara further?

Diamond Button Tiara - (Great Britain)

Worn by the Countess of Wessex at the pre-wedding gala of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson in Denmark

This is a rare tiara in the collection of tiaras in the British tiara collection. This tiara has a diamond floral element taken from a tiara that belonged to Prince Philip’s mother Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark. Though there is some speculation this tiara was a loan from a jeweler since it has not been seen on the Countess of Wessex again.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Rare is right...one outing makes it rare!

If it is in the British tiara collection, then why for the love of all sparkly things hasn't she worn it again?!?! It looked great on her! Sophie has been to go-to girl for all the foreign weddings for the past decade, and the poor girl often shows up in her half-assembled wedding tiara. A girl in her position needs to change the tiara every now and then.

For that matter, why didn't she wear her aquamarine tiara to some of the weddings?

Heck, I don't even like to wear the same tiara year to year for the lesson where I dress up like a queen! And I'm still debating on which one to wear for the Luxembourgish wedding coming up! :bigsmile:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1349885618|3282773 said:

I'm gearing up for the activity I do in my classes where I dress up as a queen. I'll post pics soon in the tiara thread!

I'm looking forward to those just as much as I'm looking forward to photos from tonight's banquet in Olso ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1349886051|3282775 said:
Rare is right...one outing makes it rare!

If it is in the British tiara collection, then why for the love of all sparkly things hasn't she worn it again?!?! It looked great on her! Sophie has been to go-to girl for all the foreign weddings for the past decade, and the poor girl often shows up in her half-assembled wedding tiara. A girl in her position needs to change the tiara every now and then.

For that matter, why didn't she wear her aquamarine tiara to some of the weddings?

Heck, I don't even like to wear the same tiara year to year for the lesson where I dress up like a queen! And I'm still debating on which one to wear for the Luxembourgish wedding coming up! :bigsmile:

1) It is not in the British tiara collection. Believe me! I've seen some better photos of the Countess from the gala performance and a clear photo of the necklace/tiara from the owner's website. A couple of years ago the jewel could be hired for a special occasion. Not sure if it has the same owner now.
2) Agree that the jewel looked lovely on HRH
3) The aquamarine tiara/necklace made its debute in Monaco during the gala performance after Albert II's inauguration in 2005, which was a year after the Danish wedding. Obviously The Countess wanted to show Monaco that she has another tiara in her disposal ;-) In Sweden the diamond tiara matched the dress and other jewels HRH wore that afternoon/night better that the aquamarine tiara ever would ;-)

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
So does the Countess of Wessex own the aquamarine tiara, or was it a loan as well? It is my favorite tiara that she has worn; the aquamarine brings out the color of her pale blue eyes.

wessexnewtiaracropped.jpg

wessexbuttontiara.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
sunshine996|1349902596|3282922 said:
So does the Countess of Wessex own the aquamarine tiara, or was it a loan as well? It is my favorite tiara that she has worn; the aquamarine brings out the color of her pale blue eyes.

Is it not a demi-parure? She has the matching earrings in the picture. I think there is a pendant necklace too. The pendant necklace is not grand enough to call it a full parure IMHO.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349886433|3282777 said:
LadyMaria|1349885618|3282773 said:

I'm looking forward to those just as much as I'm looking forward to photos from tonight's banquet in Olso ;-)

Bobby

Queen Sonja wore Queen Josephine's Diamond tiara, which was a nice change from the emerald parure. CP Mette-Merrit wore her wedding tiara. I would have preferred her amethyst parure...

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1349960387|3283218 said:
Is it not a demi-parure? She has the matching earrings in the picture. I think there is a pendant necklace too. The pendant necklace is not grand enough to call it a full parure IMHO.

Demi-parures do not include tiaras, Maria. The jewels don't have the same elements and, what's more, the aquamarines in the set (pendant and earrings) have a more rich blue colour to the stone in the tiara, which is more greenish. Deenitely not a (demi-)parure.
BTW, the drops on the earrings are detachable ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1349902596|3282922 said:

It's hers, sunishine. I've seen the Countess of Wessex on a few more occasions with the tiara and at least once HRH has worn it necklace.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1349962590|3283230 said:
Queen Sonja wore Queen Josephine's Diamond tiara, which was a nice change from the emerald parure. CP Mette-Merrit wore her wedding tiara. I would have preferred her amethyst parure...

I was surpriced to see the Crown Princess with such a vibrant colour at the gala dinner. And I'm not a fan of gowns with necklines like this. They look like T-Shirts, IMHO. The Queen's white was OK, as white is one of the colours suitable for mourning. But is this really a white tie gown (it's been worn at black tie occasions before)?
About the jewels I can tell that they were ok for me - a fairly standart all-diamond look for Queen Sonja and understendet elegance (jewellery-wise) from the Crown Princess. There were two surprices - a new large diamond bracelet for HRH and a brooch of diamonds and cab sapphires (a wedding present to Queen Maud) for HM.
Photos can be seen here - Fest på Slottet

Bobby

stacyjose

Rough_Rock
I have purchased a Pink Drop Briolette Silver CZ Earrings in online with best price at Bvaira.com. It is really very beautiful.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1349975455|3283334 said:

I was surpriced to see the Crown Princess with such a vibrant colour at the gala dinner. And I'm not a fan of gowns with necklines like this. They look like T-Shirts, IMHO. The Queen's white was OK, as white is one of the colours suitable for mourning. But is this really a white tie gown (it's been worn at black tie occasions before)?
Bobby

You make a good points Bobby. I agree with your assessment about the neckline on the Crown Princess' dress. Something was bothering me about the fit on top, but I thought it was lack of proper supportive undergarments (being in the over 40 group, I can testify to the need for full support!). I am also surprised at the color, given the recent death of Princess Ragnhild.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria|1350071988|3284031 said:
prince.of.preslav|1349975455|3283334 said:

Bobby

You make a good points Bobby. I agree with your assessment about the neckline on the Crown Princess' dress. Something was bothering me about the fit on top, but I thought it was lack of proper supportive undergarments (being in the over 40 group, I can testify to the need for full support!). I am also surprised at the color, given the recent death of Princess Ragnhild.

I also agree with these comments. In my opinion, women that are "well endowed" in the bust should not wear evening dresses that have super high necklines with that type of short sleeve. The color is bright for a time of mourning, but I confess to wearing brighter colors when someone has died, because I believe that the deceased is in a better place, and that the mourners should celebrate the deceased's life without being too sad. The amethyst tiara* is my favorite of her tiaras due to its height, and the way the stones stand out on HRH's hair.

*Aren't amethysts worn/associated as a mourning gemstone?

32527-a.jpg

mette-marie_s_amythest.jpg

mmtiara10h.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1350071988|3284031 said:

You know, when thinking about the Crown Princess' dress again and again, the only thing that comes to my mind is that this sort of things are decided in avance. Of course, the Royal Family couldn't know that Princess Ragnhild was going to pass away shortly before the state visit and that's why HRH ended up with this colourful dress. In the same time she colud always go for someting more suitable, sort of what Hartnell did for Queen Elizabeth in 1399 ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1350095339|3284297 said:
I also agree with these comments. In my opinion, women that are "well endowed" in the bust should not wear evening dresses that have super high necklines with that type of short sleeve. The color is bright for a time of mourning, but I confess to wearing brighter colors when someone has died, because I believe that the deceased is in a better place, and that the mourners should celebrate the deceased's life without being too sad. The amethyst tiara* is my favorite of her tiaras due to its height, and the way the stones stand out on HRH's hair.

*Aren't amethysts worn/associated as a mourning gemstone?

Yes, amethysts are associated with mourning. Or rather they are suitable for this period because of their colour - purple being one of the three colours suitable for mourning periods, along with black and white.
I sort of agree with what you say about wearing brighter colours. It's an interesting ''understanding'' of what has happened to the deceased.

I agree about the amethyst tiara, but more than everything I'd have loved to see the Vifte tiara on The Crown Princess' head ;-)

Bobby

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results