carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1347199058|3264653 said:
[...]
I think she will stick with the Scroll tiara for all of her tiara events in the foreseeable future. Remember, her wedding earrings were designed to match the motif's of the Scroll tiara. What is the point in having matching earrings if you never plan to wear the tiara again?

Of course, it's been over a year since the Duchess of Cambridge wore any tiara, so one might argue what is the point of having a tiara if you never wear it?

Did I mention I hope there's a tiara event soon because I'm going through withdrawl? ;-)

Of course, we don't expect to see the Duchess with a tiara and jewels while doing the shopping and taking Lupo for a walk or visiting the Olympic village :D You know that the only reason why HRH has not worn a tiara in the past year is because she has not attended an event that requires one. The only opportunity was the banquet during Obama's State Visit, which neither of the couple attended. And I don't think the Cambridges will attend the banquet during President of the Republic of Indonesia's SV in late October.

BTW, you do raise a valid point about the matching design of the wedding earrings and tiara ;-) And it's nice to see that we agree about the Halo/Scroll tiara.

PS: the next tiara event is tomorrow - the State Banquet for President & Mrs Gul of Turkey in Stockholms Slott.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Young Queen Ingrid wearing the pearl parure:
ingrid-3.jpg
In the 1960s, wearing the same necklace and earrings with Queen Sofia of Greece's large diamond tiara (!) and brooch that belonged to Queen Lovisa:
3380981196_9ff286c584.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Lovisa wearing the pearl and diamond corsage brooch; note the star in her hair - I wonder if i's one of her ruby and diamond stars? lovisa-ofsweden_queen_of_denmark.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1347221133|3264818 said:
sunshine996|1346687037|3261784 said:
That is great! I don't like it when State Dinners are "Black Tie", i.e. no tiaras. If the Duchess of Cambridge is going to wear a tiara, do you guys think she will wear the Cartier Halo Scroll, or a different tiara? But if the dress code is "Black Tie" do you think the Queen will loan some other jewellry? :confused: I know she lent her the Maple Leaf Brooch on their last tour and may have loaned her those diamond chandelier earrings for the BAFTA event, although there was no conformation from the palace.

I think the Halo tiara is a safe bet ;-) I don't think we'll see the Duchess with a second tiara in the next couple of years, unless she (with the Duke) starts attending white tie galas, state dinners, etc. more often. Until then there is simply no need for Catherine to have more than one tiara.
If the events is black tie without tiaras, then I think HRH will opt for jewels from her own collection (like the modern ruby set, possibly some of Diana's jewels). I don't see any reason why she might have to borrow some from her grandmother-in-law, HM The Queen. Remember that The Countess of Wessex, who is the main female Windsor at foreign royal events and reportedly HM's fav daugther-in-law, made do with only one tiara and a couple modest necklaces/earrings for the first 5 years of her marriage.BTW, black tie does not necessarily mean no tiaras. I can think of a dozen of 'private' parties in the Scandinavian royal courts, along with The Prince & Princess of Wales' official visit to Japan, the CHOGMs and more.

Bobby
I had forgotten about her wedding earrings! :o I like their design, to me they any match just enough to echo the design of the tiara. I just thought that the Duchess would borrow/be loaned jewelry again because HM lent her the brooch on the last tour. Poor Sophie! Did she only get a few jewels because of her lower rank, the Queen thought that they might not last, and/or both?

I have to admit that dress code rules confuse me, so if you guys could post any rules about them, it would be much appreciated! ;-) I know that white tie means tiaras, black tie usually means formal, and, now thanks to Bobby, that black tie with tiaras is permitted (Why not make the dress code white tie? I don't understand this exception. Because the other ladies present don't have sufficient jewels?).

Bobby, thank you for the pictures of Queen Ingrid wearing the pearl parure! :)
I'm not sure if that is really the ruby and diamond star brooch, maybe with a central pearl/diamond instead?

Did you guys see the pictures from the Royal wedding of Kathleen Walker and Prince Imre of Austria yesterday, in Washington D.C.? Here is a link to some pictures: http://www.tageblatt.lu/people/story/Erzherzog-Imre-heiratet-Kathleen-Walker-20077640

kate-middleton-wedding-earrings.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I have been so busy lately that I have not been able to stop by. Hope everyone is well. Could someone please explain the different types of state dinners? While Catherine wore a lovely dress, I was surprised at the casualness of this dinner. On this tour she recently wore a set of large pearl drop ear rings and a pair of drop ear rings which she wore on the last stop for 09/12. I do not recognize the pearl drop ear rings or the other pair of drop ear rings (maybe diamonds, costume? ). If anyone is familiar with them please advise.

Also on an unrelated side note, I would love to see Princess Marina's (Duchess of Kent) bow brooch return to the royal family (currently up for sale at Sothebys). I am assuming it was sold to pay death taxes. It always makes me sad to see pieces leave families and go into private hands because then they are hardly seen anymore. I would prefer they go to a museum it they have to go anywhere at all. Is anyone aware of pieces that might have been bought back or bought and then given back to royal families? There was some discussion that perhaps the large Greek tiara worn by the Crown Princess at the Jubilee celebration for Queen Margarethe may have been bought and returned to the royal family. Thanks so much.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
laurensmama|1347462076|3266781 said:
Hello everyone,

I have been so busy lately that I have not been able to stop by. Hope everyone is well. Could someone please explain the different types of state dinners? While Catherine wore a lovely dress, I was surprised at the casualness of this dinner. On this tour she recently wore a set of large pearl drop ear rings and a pair of drop ear rings which she wore on the last stop for 09/12. I do not recognize the pearl drop ear rings or the other pair of drop ear rings (maybe diamonds, costume? ). If anyone is familiar with them please advise. Also on an unrelated side note, I would love to see Princess Marina's (Duchess of Kent) bow brooch return to the royal family (currently up for sale at Sothebys). I am assuming it was sold to pay death taxes. It always makes me sad to see pieces leave families and go into private hands because then they are hardly seen anymore. I would prefer they go to a museum it they have to go anywhere at all. Is anyone aware of pieces that might have been bought back or bought and then given back to royal families? There was some discussion that perhaps the large Greek tiara worn by the Crown Princess at the Jubilee celebration for Queen Margarethe may have been bought and returned to the royal family. Thanks so much.

The pearl earrings are a large pearl drop and the diamond hoop base of her Kiki McDonough green amythest earrings (first worn on Christmas of last year). The green amythest drop can be removed and other drops/dangles can be put on. I think she first wore the pearl drop version during the Olympics.

The new earrings haven't been identified yet, but are presumed to be a Kiki Donough design. From pictures, they appear to be green amythests/aquamarines surrounded by diamonds with a diamond drop base.

article-2201383-14f465d9000005dc-59_634x610.jpg

article-2201383-14f5647a000005dc-638_306x423.jpg

dec25-3.jpg

251608_4602827478676_321333302_n.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1347462076|3266781 said:
Hello everyone,

I have been so busy lately that I have not been able to stop by. Hope everyone is well. Could someone please explain the different types of state dinners? While Catherine wore a lovely dress, I was surprised at the casualness of this dinner. On this tour she recently wore a set of large pearl drop ear rings and a pair of drop ear rings which she wore on the last stop for 09/12. I do not recognize the pearl drop ear rings or the other pair of drop ear rings (maybe diamonds, costume? ). If anyone is familiar with them please advise.

There are no variations of State Dinners/Banquets. What is different is the dress code. While we're used to white tie (decorations and jewels), there are examples of black tie (no/few decorations, less jewels) and smart (day suits and short dresses) State Dinners. The dress code (including if tiaras will be worn) is set by the host and often varies depending on the importance and type of visit. For example, banquets during State Visits (i.e. State Dinners) to Spain, Norway and Denmark are a full white tie affair - see f.e. Elizabeth II's State Visits to these countries, but during official visits the banquets often are black tie and more rarely smart dress - f.e. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's official visits to these countries this and last year.
Last but not least, the guests may not agree with the dress code and appear with something else. Perhaps the best example is former Brazilian President Lula da Silva - During his State Visits to European monarchies he never ever wore white tie, but opted for a dark suit. The same can be said for some Asian leaders - f.e. the (now former?) President of Vietnam during a SV to Norway. Thus, The Duchess of Cambridge could go to the State Dinner with a long dress and tiara if she wished to do so and be the odd one ;-)

Also on an unrelated side note, I would love to see Princess Marina's (Duchess of Kent) bow brooch return to the royal family (currently up for sale at Sothebys). I am assuming it was sold to pay death taxes. It always makes me sad to see pieces leave families and go into private hands because then they are hardly seen anymore. I would prefer they go to a museum it they have to go anywhere at all. Is anyone aware of pieces that might have been bought back or bought and then given back to royal families? There was some discussion that perhaps the large Greek tiara worn by the Crown Princess at the Jubilee celebration for Queen Margarethe may have been bought and returned to the royal family. Thanks so much.

Depends on what you mean by the royal family. Surely the Queen, her descendants and the Gloucesters have no connection to the brooch. Indeed it would be nice to see Princess Marina's bow brooch on Princess Alexandra or Princess Michael and The Duchess of Kent. In the same time I would equally love to see the brooch on any descendant of Prince Nikolaos and Princess Elena. I think that Princess Elisaveta of Yugoslavia and Archduchess Helene of Austria (especially she) would look lovely wearing it ;-) BTW, yes - the brooch was sold years ago to help pay death duties (a nasty think).

Yes, there is the example of a diamond and pearl tiara that had been made for Maria Anna, Grand Duchess of Tuscany and last owned by Donna Lucia di Borbon Dos Sicilias. The tiara was sold after Donna Lucia's death and bought by the wealthy Crociani family, to which The Duchess of Castro (Camilla) belongs. The Duke of Castro, Don Carlo, is the head of the house of Borbon Dos Sicilias.
As to Queen Sofia's large diamond tiara, I don't think the truth has ever been unsolved. There are a few possible explanations why it re-appeared so suddenly.

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw some gorgeous photos on-line of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in gardens in Singapore seeing orchids that had been named after them and also some that had been named after the late Diana, Princess of Wales. There was also a stunning photo of the Duchess carrying a bouquet of orchids when she and the Duke arrived at the Raffles Hotel on September 11. I did not notice any jewelry in the photos, however.

So I leapt on this series of photos of the Duchess when I saw them posted today. They were taken at a state dinner in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on September 13 and the Duchess, dressed in a gold and white gown, is wearing some gold jewelry!

Deb/AGBF
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

:read:

september132012kualalumpurmalaysia.jpg

duchessofcambridgemalaysiadinner.jpg

duchessofcambridgemalaysia.jpg

duchessofcambridgemalaysia2.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two more photos taken at the dinner.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

duchessofcambridgemalaysia3.jpg

duchessofcambridgemalaysia4.jpg

NSEB1958

Rough_Rock
Thank You for the wonderful pictures. All I can say is the Duchess is a beautiful woman. She seems so very relaxed and is enjoying herself. And I love her Pearl Drop earrings. Drool. Sigh wish I had copies of them. Drool. Now back to lurkerdom.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1347593863|3267920 said:
I saw some gorgeous photos on-line of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in gardens in Singapore seeing orchids that had been named after them and also some that had been named after the late Diana, Princess of Wales. There was also a stunning photo of the Duchess carrying a bouquet of orchids when she and the Duke arrived at the Raffles Hotel on September 11. I did not notice any jewelry in the photos, however.

So I leapt on this series of photos of the Duchess when I saw them posted today. They were taken at a state dinner in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on September 13 and the Duchess, dressed in a gold and white gown, is wearing some gold jewelry!

Deb/AGBF

Of course, the Duchess of Cambridge was not the only royal lady present, let alone the most interestingly bejewelled one... In this photo we can have a better look at Sultanah Tuanku Haminah binti Hamidun's diamond necklace, earrings and brooch - Link

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1347593863|3267920 said:

Deb/AGBF

Both the earrings and the bracelet are made of gold plated silver by Catherine Zoraida. They depict feathers.
While the jewels looked rather nice on Catherine, her overall appearance didn't speak "I'm a future Queen". On another note, I think the dress beneath the golden curtain is very nice ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Now this photograph makes up for the rather disappointing appearance during the state dinner! The Duchess reminds me of Queen Silvia from a few years ago, when HM still dazzled with artworks in her hair ;-)
Zimbio also offers us a good view of the new blue and white stone earrings* - Photo

*I'm afraid that with HRH can never be too sure if the jewels are real or not. That's why I don't mention the types of stones ;-)

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1347788981|3269000 said:
Now this photograph makes up for the rather disappointing appearance during the state dinner! The Duchess reminds me of Queen Silvia from a few years ago, when HM still dazzled with artworks in her hair ;-)
Zimbio also offers us a good view of the new blue and white stone earrings* - Photo

*I'm afraid that with HRH can never be too sure if the jewels are real or not. That's why I don't mention the types of stones ;-)

Bobby

I'm loving the updo! This is some serious tiara-hair-in-training!!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to say that Prinsess Ragnhild, elder sister of King Harald V & Princess Astrid of Norway, has passed away earlier today at her home in Rio de Janeiro. The Princess was 82 years old.
My condolences to her family and siblings. May HH rest in piece.

The official announcement (in English) can be read here - Princess Ragnhild has died
For those interested the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation has a gallery with photos from the late Princess' life - Prinsesse Ragnhild er død

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That dress is crying for a serious necklace in high karat gold.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1347788981|3269000 said:

Bobby-I see what style you like above and cannot disagree that you seem to be able to pick out the refined, elegant, classic look among the many photos available. You have a really good eye. I like your taste. On the other hand, I disagree that the Duchess of Cambridge does not look like a future queen in Kuala Lumpur just because she does not have her hair in an elegant updo and is not wearing a parure of jewels that belongs to The Royal Family. I think she looks like a charming and very elegant young princess. Daisy would wear the same dress now as Queen if she wished to!

Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1347902670|3269692 said:
Bobby-I see what style you like above and cannot disagree that you seem to be able to pick out the refined, elegant, classic look among the many photos available. You have a really good eye. I like your taste. On the other hand, I disagree that the Duchess of Cambridge does not look like a future queen in Kuala Lumpur just because she does not have her hair in an elegant updo and is not wearing a parure of jewels that belongs to The Royal Family. I think she looks like a charming and very elegant young princess. Daisy would wear the same dress now as Queen if she wished to!

Deb/AGBF

LOL I can imagine Daisy with this/a similar dress and (some of) the poppies in her head and on her ears :D But that's Daisy, you know ;-)
Anyway, I still don't think the jewels were the right ones for a dinner where she was the guest of honour. They are nice and I like it that HRH's adding contemporary jewels to her collection (quite like Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands). But in my opinion they are better suited for another type of event - an informal family dinner, a friend's party, you name it...
Just to be clear - I was not disappointed by the Duchess. I simply think HRH could do better. We know that she can ;-)

PS: Thanks for praising my taste!

Boby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1347918361|3269859 said:
AGBF|1347902670|3269692 said:
Daisy would wear the same dress now as Queen if she wished to!

LOL I can imagine Daisy with this/a similar dress and (some of) the poppies in her head and on her ears :D But that's Daisy, you know ;-)

It's funny you should mention poppies, Bobby. I almost said that Daisy would wear the same dress now and in red if she chose to. If she wore poppies, I am certain that she would have this frock made up in her favorite red rather than wearing it in gold like the Duchess of Cambridge!

You are quite welcome to all "compliments" about your good taste. One must ask if his comments are really "compliments" if they are actually well-deserved as my comments abut your good taste were! We might call them, "observations".

Deb

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I think you've misunderstood me, Deb. I didn't mean real red poppies but Margrethe II's Golden poppies - a set of head pieces with matching earrings that was made for the Danish Queen in the 1970s.
Here's how they look:
denmark-goldenpoppiestiara.jpg

Now that you've mentioned red for the dress, I think this would've been a great look ;-) I can imagine the Duchess with it :)

PS: Observations, complements, whatever, thanks for them. It's good to know that we have the same taste...at least partly. This speaks good about you, as well ;-)
Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1347960628|3270114 said:
I think you've misunderstood me, Deb. I didn't mean real red poppies but Margrethe II's Golden poppies - a set of head pieces with matching earrings that was made for the Danish Queen in the 1970s.

Here's how they look:
denmark-goldenpoppiestiara.jpg

I did, indeed, misunderstand you, Bobby! I don't believe I have ever seen the gold poppies. I am a gold lover, and I think that those would have made an impression on me! And yes, I could imagine Daisy wearing them with the gold gown that the Duchess of Cambridge wore! What is too much jewelry on the average woman can be carried off by royalty. I know that the Duchess of Cornwall often wears very large, old-fashioned pieces that haven't been worn by "modern" royals and manages to carry them off. Certainly a queen can do what she wants!

Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Deb,
Regarding the poppies I forgot to mention that they can be worn separately and when wearing just one or two the effect is better, not so overwhelming (like at the dinner after Frederik & Mary's engagement was announced). A few golden poppies are 'set' in the new Nassut tiara. Now sure if they are The Golden poppies, though.

About Camilla you're quite right - the Duchess of Cornwall wears big jewels well and they not overshadow her. Well, maybe in one case they did, but that was also the only time we saw this particular jewel ;-) Chokers become her and she knows that. Of course, the Crown Princess of Denmark, the Duchess of Brabant and Princess Madeleine also look good with chokers/dog collars.
And you're right that a Queen (or a Princess for that matter) can pull off as many jewels as she wishes - among the best examples are Queens Victoria & Louise (Sweden), Queens Alexandra & Mary (UK) Queen Ingrid, Daisy, Mary, Anna Maria, Silvia, Maxima, Diane (von Wurttemberg). For some reason they never look(ed) like Christmas trees :D

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today the new session of the Dutch parliament was opened. As you might know, the event is called Prinsjesdag and is attended by The Queen and those members of her family that in line to the throne + their spouses.

This year Queen Beatrix wore 4 of Queen Emma's diamond stars (the more important ones), round diamonds as pendants on her clusters and a modern bangle with black/yellow/white diamonds (for a moment thought HM was blond and had a new coiffure); Princess Maxima wore 3 stars from Queen Emma's other set with her modern diamond and garnet tassel earrings and wedding bracelet (didn't she wore this dress in Oman last year?); Princess Laurentien wore a lovely round brooch in diamonds with same tacky earrings (they ruin the otherwise great look). My personal favourite (for 3rd year in a row) is Princess Margriet - large off-round pearls suspended from diamond clusters on the ears, the lovely ribbon brooch with a large cushion cut diamond as drop, a classic pearl and diamond bracelet (there's another one, which I can't id) and a white and black pearl necklace. I just wish HRH wore a riviere, but you can't have it all...

You can see photos here and here.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Swedish royals also attended the Opening of parliament, though theirs is a more casual affair. Two words about the jewels - pearl and diamonds.
PPE Agency offers us a gallery with photos from the service before the actual opening of the parliamentary year - Link - all you can't see is Queen Silvia's pearl and diamond brooch with drop.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
A few State Visits have been announced - From 10-12 October the President of Finland will visit Norway with his wife. You might remeber him from his SV to Sweden shortly after his election this year. The royal family might be still in mourning, so this State Vsiti might be a bit more casual, at least in terms of glitter.
The President of Italy will pay a State Visit to the Netherlands from October 23rd to 25th. The SV was tokae place earlier this year, but was canceled due to health reasons. A month later the President of Slovakia is scheduled to make a SV to Queen Beatrix.
Health was also the reason why President Gül had to cancel his visit to Sweden, which was set to start last Monday. No new date has been announced.

We can expect a lot of glitter next month with 3 State Visits :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Danish Crown Princely Couple is in Brazil as part of an economic delegation. Here is a gallery with photos courtesy of dagbladetringskjern.dk - Link. Note Princess Mary's large aquamarine ring. Lovely!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1347997368|3270381 said:
The Swedish royals also attended the Opening of parliament, though theirs is a more casual affair. Two words about the jewels - pearl and diamonds.
PPE Agency offers us a gallery with photos from the service before the actual opening of the parliamentary year - Link - all you can't see is Queen Silvia's pearl and diamond brooch with drop.

Bobby

Kungliga Modebloggen offers us some very large photos of the Swedish royal ladies at the concert after the opening of parliament:
Queen Silvia with her modern V-shaped diamonds necklace, ruby pendant and earrings (the best close-up I've seen of them). HM's also wearing her gem-set butterfly brooch, the elegant bracelet of her foundation and fav watch - Photo
Crown Princess Victoria - the real jewels are on her left hand, the earrings and hairpin are lovely, though - Photo
Princess Madeleine - long pearl and diamond earrings (I hope they're real) with a wide bracelet first seen at the Greek wedding in 2010 - Photo

And a bonus photo of Queen Silvia from the church service where we can see the large diamond clasp on the necklace - Photo

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Last night SAS la Princesse de Monaco attended the launch of the VC&A exhibition at the Musee Des Arts Decoratifs in Paris. One of the exhibits is HSH's diamond and sapphire tiara. The Princess wore a pair of long earrings that mimick her tiara's design and a diamond and sapphire watch:
Earrings
Watch
HSH and the tiara

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday Queen Silvia participated in a program at the 11th Street Bridge construction offices. The bridge is being build by Swedish firm Skanska USA; Her Majesty's Mentor Foundation is involved in the project. Here we can see The Queen's rings, bracelets and watch - Photo and here the necklace - Photo
In the evening HM and Princess Madeleine of Sweden attended a gala dinner for the Mentor Foundation (Full view). Queen Silvia wore Queen Josefina's three row pearl necklace with the large diamond clasp in the front and the smaller pearl drop earrings from the Bernadotte foundation - Link, while HRH wore her long golden leaf earrings and two bracelets (one of which is quite substantial) - Photo.
Among the guests were Prince Abdul-Aziz of Saudi Arabia and his wife, Princess Sora. HRH wore a nice pair of emerald and diamond earrings - Photo.

PS: Come on, people - Stop appreciating silently, respond!

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well, I had my brush with royalty yesterday by being caught up in a traffic jam caused by the police blocking a few streets for the Danish Prince and Princess. I don't begrudge them the security but blocking a street in São Paulo is enough to cause some minor local chaos. I didn't even get a glimpse, of course

But I found this fun picture of Princess Mary in an event at Scandinavian Design (a gallery).

officielt-besog-i-brasilien.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results