Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12190 posts • Page 376 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: Royal Jewels

Post by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:29 pm
Written by sunshine996 » June 27th, 2012, 10:31 pm:It's interesting that the Teck Cresent Tiara is now with Camilla. It is not a tall tiara so maybe it gets lost in her hair? I like this tiara and I would love to see it worn again, but perhaps on a younger Royal. It seems a little too girlie/delicate for Camilla's tastes. I wonder if she also has the matching necklace.

The Teck Circle/Hoop necklace/tiara is not pictured in the book, therefore we can assume it is not in HM's collection. The book does say, "On Princess Mary Adelaide's death in 1897, the tiara (together with a diamond hoop necklace now in the collection of Viscount Linely) was inherited by the Princess' eldest son, Prince Adolphs of Teck."

Since the Poltimore tiara was purchased for Princess Margaret but the necklace had been in the family, it probably seemed less...well, disasterous to sell the tiara and keep the necklace instead of the other way around. I suspect Her Majesty might have thrown a bit of a royal fit to see a necklace with such a family history sold. The tiara, on the other hand, only had the family history of being worn by the first princess to usher in a divorce in the 20th century.
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » June 28th, 2012, 6:31 am:

Congratulations Maria! I know that this is a wonderful book with much valuable information regarding British royal jewels. I still don't have the book. Haven't even ordered it, but maybe later this year I will...

Oh Bobby, you have to get it!

A personal request - I know that the book features a detailed story of the Cambridge emeralds. Can you give us (me) a summery, please?

Bobby

"The Delhi Durbar Necklace and Cullinan VII Pendant"

"The necklace incorporates nine of the celebrated Cambridge emeralds, won in a German state lottery in Frankfurt by the Duchess of Cambridge, shortly after her marriage to George III's seventh son, Adolphys, in 1818. The Duchess had some of the stones made into a necklace, probably in the 1820's, which she gave to her daughter, Princess Mary Adelaide, in 1857. The rest of the emeralds were bequeathed to the Prinicess (by then Duchess of Teck) in 1889. On the Duchess of Teck's death intestate in 1897, her jewellry was divided between her three sons and her daughter, the emeralds (both set and unset) becoming the property of her second son, Prince Francis of Teck. Prince Francis, whose wayward life had often caused his family embarassment, died unexpectedly in October 1910, leaving all the jewels he had inherited from his mother to his mistress, the Countess of Kilmorey. Queen Mary acquired them by purchase from Lady Kilmorey shortly thereafter."
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 28th, 2012, 4:13 pm
Written by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm:

I likely will, Maria. We'll see.

Thanks for the description of the emeralds. Much appreciated! Does Roberts mention the exact number of the stones? I think there must've been between 40 and 50 stones (at least those set in jewels) in the lot.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 28th, 2012, 4:20 pm
Another thing about the Cambridge emeralds - Roberts says that the fee for the setting of the emeralds and for providing the diamonds in the jewels was met by George V as a 44th birthday present to Queen Mary (that was in 1911). The diamonds for the Delhi Durbar tiara, which was made in the same year, came from the large loop tiara that was made by Boucheron in 1902 (for Edward VII's Coronation).

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 28th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Written by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:12 pm:
Yup, that's the one...here is more info from the book...

"In an invetroy of Princess Mary Adelaides's jewelry of c. 1870...the individual parts o fthe tiara are described as 'Three Diamond Roses...
a diamond Chain All the Diamonds from this Chain made into a Diadem....Twenty-one Diamond Crescents.' In 1871 the Princess had the crescents mounted on a headband, and by 1882, the individual elements had been assembled as a tiara with a detachable double row of diamonds at the base."

Your pictures does not show the double row of diamonds at the base. Your picture is very similar to the one in the book.

I'm just not sure about this one. Perhaps it would look better as the original headband and not a tiara?

I've always considered two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara to be 2 rivieres added for height. The mention of a Diamond Chain confirms this ;) They were only seen on Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck.

Post by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » June 28th, 2012, 4:13 pm:
Written by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm:

I likely will, Maria. We'll see.

Thanks for the description of the emeralds. Much appreciated! Does Roberts mention the exact number of the stones? I think there must've been between 40 and 50 stones (at least those set in jewels) in the lot.

Bobby

Nope, no exact number. :blackeye:
Lady Maria

Post by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 5:51 pm
Oh, a sad bit of information that crushes one of my secret hopes...

In reference to the Rundell tiara, given to then Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales as a wedding present (I thought about this one for Catherine Middleton as a wedding tiara):

" 'A very rich Brilliant Diadem.' The tiara was bequeathed by Queen Alexandra to her second daughter, Princess Victoria, and subsequently disposed of by her."

I guess that means we'll never see that tiara again. ;(
Lady Maria

Post by AmayasV » June 28th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Written by sunshine996 » June 26th, 2012, 9:49 pm:Here are some more pictures of Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra wearing bow brooches:

Is it the same chocker ??????

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 29th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Thanks anyway.

Ye, this is the same choker.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 29th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Written by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 5:51 pm:Oh, a sad bit of information that crushes one of my secret hopes...

In reference to the Rundell tiara, given to then Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales as a wedding present (I thought about this one for Catherine Middleton as a wedding tiara):

" 'A very rich Brilliant Diadem.' The tiara was bequeathed by Queen Alexandra to her second daughter, Princess Victoria, and subsequently disposed of by her."

I guess that means we'll never see that tiara again. ;(

Yes, that's what it means. I wonder how it was disposed of. Was is sold, broken, used to make another jewel? I guess we'll never know for sure...

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 29th, 2012, 3:51 pm
THE exhibition in Buckingham Palace is now set and awaiting for the first visitors to see the besto of the best from HM The Queen's Collection.
The microsite on the Royal Collection is also ready and you can see it here - Diamonds: A Jubilee Celebration. This is, in fact, a very different microsite from the ones we've seen so far, so it might seem difficult to navigate at first.
The Daily Mail has an article with large photos (one of which confirm that the Delhi Durbar tiara is still a circlet) - Jubilee diamonds
And last but not least - a link to a very nice video from the BBC - Diamond exhibition at Buckingham Palace for Jubilee

Enjoy!
Bobby

Post by BubblyBear » June 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Written by LadyMaria » June 28th, 2012, 3:29 pm:
Written by sunshine996 » June 27th, 2012, 10:31 pm:It's interesting that the Teck Cresent Tiara is now with Camilla. It is not a tall tiara so maybe it gets lost in her hair? I like this tiara and I would love to see it worn again, but perhaps on a younger Royal. It seems a little too girlie/delicate for Camilla's tastes. I wonder if she also has the matching necklace.

The Teck Circle/Hoop necklace/tiara is not pictured in the book, therefore we can assume it is not in HM's collection. The book does say, "On Princess Mary Adelaide's death in 1897, the tiara (together with a diamond hoop necklace now in the collection of Viscount Linely) was inherited by the Princess' eldest son, Prince Adolphs of Teck."

Since the Poltimore tiara was purchased for Princess Margaret but the necklace had been in the family, it probably seemed less...well, disasterous to sell the tiara and keep the necklace instead of the other way around. I suspect Her Majesty might have thrown a bit of a royal fit to see a necklace with such a family history sold. The tiara, on the other hand, only had the family history of being worn by the first princess to usher in a divorce in the 20th century.

Here's a picture of Princess Margaret with the Teck Circle necklace:

Necklace form detail:

Tiara form:

I think it makes a beautiful necklace.

Here's a photo of Mary Adelaide in the Crescent Tiara with the two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara.

Post by BubblyBear » June 29th, 2012, 9:12 pm
And - is that the Teck Circk around Mary Adelaide's neck??

Post by rbscompilation » June 30th, 2012, 6:14 am
Sophie has her second (and much struggled for) baby due this December. I''m a fan of hers as well & wish her a lot of luck with the new baby since she almost lost her life delivering the first one!
http://rbtrend.com/

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 30th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Written by BubblyBear » June 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm:

Here's a picture of Princess Margaret with the Teck Circle necklace:

Necklace form detail:

Tiara form:

I think it makes a beautiful necklace.

Here's a photo of Mary Adelaide in the Crescent Tiara with the two rows of diamonds at the base of the tiara.

Queen Elizabeth wore the Teck Hoops/Circles at least once as necklace, at the beginning of her daughter's reign. I have posted a photo before.

Bobby

Post by JewelFreak » June 30th, 2012, 3:41 pm
I love, love, love the Teck Circle necklace. Timeless. One of my very favorite jewels ever & it always looked wonderful on P. Margaret.

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 30th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Written by BubblyBear » June 29th, 2012, 9:12 pm:And - is that the Teck Circk around Mary Adelaide's neck??

Correct! You see that the Duchess of Teck had to wear it as a choker as her neck was larger than that of the other ladies that have worn the necklace since ;)

By the way, Princess Mary Adelaide is the other person who has worn the Hoops as tiara ;)

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 30th, 2012, 3:53 pm
Written by rbscompilation » June 30th, 2012, 6:14 am:Sophie has her second (and much struggled for) baby due this December. I''m a fan of hers as well & wish her a lot of luck with the new baby since she almost lost her life delivering the first one!

The baby you talk about was born back in 2007. It's a boy called James and is styled Viscount Severn ;)

Post by sunshine996 » June 30th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I wonder if HM has given any other older tiaras, that haven't been seen in many years, to her other family members.
Speaking of tiaras not seen in many years, I wish the Queen would fix the Strathmore Rose Tiara and bring it out of the vault!This tiara was given to the Queen Mum by her parents for her wedding. It is set in silver and gold, and has two settings: low and high. The low version is worn across the forehead, bandeau style, while the higher setting is worn like a traditional tiara, upon the head. Reportedly the roses can be removed and worn seperately.
Attachments
strathmore_rose.jpg
The Strathmore Rose Tiara
strathmore_rose.jpg (108.78 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
the_strathmore_rose_tiara.png
TheQueen mum wearing the tiara in its bandeau style, low setting.
the_strathmore_rose_tiara.png (237.68 KiB) Viewed 1631 times
queenmotherstrathmorerosetopofhead.jpg
A fuzzy picture of the Queen Mum wearing the tiara in its traditional setting.
queenmotherstrathmorerosetopofhead.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

Post by JewelFreak » July 1st, 2012, 8:26 am
Many hoped Catherine would wear that for her wedding to William. It would have looked beautiful on her, blingy but not too much for a newbie tiara. I would have liked it better than the one she did wear, but she is not (yet?) a sparkly-jewel person.

--- Laurie

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 9:13 am
Written by sunshine996 » June 30th, 2012, 4:29 pm:Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I wonder if HM has given any other older tiaras, that haven't been seen in many years, to her other family members.
Speaking of tiaras not seen in many years, I wish the Queen would fix the Strathmore Rose Tiara and bring it out of the vault!This tiara was given to the Queen Mum by her parents for her wedding. It is set in silver and gold, and has two settings: low and high. The low version is worn across the forehead, bandeau style, while the higher setting is worn like a traditional tiara, upon the head. Reportedly the roses can be removed and worn seperately.

It is also revealed in Roberts that the five diamonds flowers can be replaced by "5 single sapphires". Now this is version of the tiara I'd love to see (at least photographed)!

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 9:29 am
Written by JewelFreak » July 1st, 2012, 8:26 am:Many hoped Catherine would wear that for her wedding to William. It would have looked beautiful on her, blingy but not too much for a newbie tiara. I would have liked it better than the one she did wear, but she is not (yet?) a sparkly-jewel person.

--- Laurie

It seems that many people wanted to see the Strathmore tiara worn by Catherine Middleton, myself included. Actually, my two guesses were either this one or the Halo tiara (which she eventually wore). Apparently, the Halo tiara is considered as a "starter" tiara in the family (and it's not a bad choice, after all).
Another thing why to prefer the Strathmore tiara is that it would have added 5 real brooches to HRH's collectin ;)

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 9:39 am
Looking at this photo of Princess Michael of Kent at this year's Wimbledon, I wonder if the brooch she's wearing might've belonged to The Duchess of Windsor. I've seen similar jewels in Wallis' collection.

Post by sunshine996 » July 1st, 2012, 11:05 am
Written by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 9:13 am:
Written by sunshine996 » June 30th, 2012, 4:29 pm:Thanks to all of you who answered my question! I wonder if HM has given any other older tiaras, that haven't been seen in many years, to her other family members.

It is also revealed in Roberts that the five diamonds flowers can be replaced by "5 single sapphires". Now this is version of the tiara I'd love to see (at least photographed)!

Bobby

I would also love to see pictures/it being worn. Perhaps Catherine will wear it someday. I hope so!

I also agree with JewelFreak, this tiara would have been much more feminine for the wedding, and it would've sparkled more! I understand why she chose the Halo Scroll: decent height, light weight, it's the "starter tiara" for the family, its history (bought for a commoner that became a Duchess, and then a Queen; a tiara that once belonged to a Scottish girl is perhaps a nod to the Scottish beginning of William and Catherine). But if she had worn the Strathmore Rose Tiara then the backstory would've been: a tiara bought for a common Scottish girl for her wedding to a Duke that would one day become King. So maybe she chose the halo because the Strathmore Rose really is in need of repair, not because of the tiara's history. ;)
Attachments
1304078377_kate-middleton-290b.jpg
I found a pretty good photoshopped picture of what the Strathmore Rose Tiara would've looked like.
1304078377_kate-middleton-290b.jpg (73.05 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Post by sunshine996 » July 1st, 2012, 11:16 am
Happy 51st Birthday, Diana!
Attachments
article-2117922-0049edde00000258-348_470x423.jpg
article-2117922-0049edde00000258-348_470x423.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
jnjknkn.bmp
jnjknkn.bmp (792.55 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
tumblr_m5mcboixgk1r52y64o1_500.jpg
tumblr_m5mcboixgk1r52y64o1_500.jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 4:45 pm
Finally I found a clear close-up of Queen Mary's sapphire and diamond bandeau, which Princess Margaret wore on a couple of occasions. It's a pity that the current Queen hasn't loaned it to anyone...

Post by sunshine996 » July 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 4:45 pm:Finally I found a clear close-up of Queen Mary's sapphire and diamond bandeau, which Princess Margaret wore on a couple of occasions. It's a pity that the current Queen hasn't loaned it to anyone...

Whoa, you found a wonderful close up Bobby! All of the other close ups that I have seen were very fuzzy. I like how the diamonds are set into a sunray pattern around the central sapphire. Is the tiara also convertable into a necklace?

I would love to see this tiara on Sophie, Catherine, Beatrice, or Eugenie. Sophie could use a new "standard" tiara and I think that she tends to like modern/art deco designs. Catherine could wear this one to match her engagement ring and she also tends to go towards modern/ art deco jewelry. Beatrice and Eugenie are unlikely to wear this tiara because of the slimming down of the working royals. But if they were to go to a tiara event, it would look good against Beatrice's red hair, and Eugenie has that vintage look about her that would really make the tiara look good.

It would be interesting to know who do you think could/should wear the tiara?

Post by JewelFreak » July 2nd, 2012, 7:36 am
Written by prince.of.preslav » July 1st, 2012, 9:13 am:It is also revealed in Roberts that the five diamonds flowers can be replaced by "5 single sapphires". Now this is version of the tiara I'd love to see (at least photographed)!

Bobby

Oh, me too, Bobby. It would be just beautiful w/sapphires! We'll never know for sure, of course, whether HM offered Catherine a choice of wedding tiaras or simply gave her the Halo one. Personally, I doubt Kate would have picked any based on its history; she's not a big jewel lover, so the Halo Tiara was the smallest of any we know is still in RF possession. Remember, at first she wanted to wear flowers in her hair, no tiara.

Nice photo of QM's sapphire & diamond bandeau, Sunshine. It looks great on P. Margaret & might on Catherine too, if she had a good tiara hairdo. I think the Yorkies are too young to carry off something that sophisticated but it might look very nice on Sophie, and nobody can deny she needs an alternative to her awkward one.

--- Laurie

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am
Written by sunshine996 » July 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm:Whoa, you found a wonderful close up Bobby! All of the other close ups that I have seen were very fuzzy. I like how the diamonds are set into a sunray pattern around the central sapphire. Is the tiara also convertable into a necklace?

I would love to see this tiara on Sophie, Catherine, Beatrice, or Eugenie. Sophie could use a new "standard" tiara and I think that she tends to like modern/art deco designs. Catherine could wear this one to match her engagement ring and she also tends to go towards modern/ art deco jewelry. Beatrice and Eugenie are unlikely to wear this tiara because of the slimming down of the working royals. But if they were to go to a tiara event, it would look good against Beatrice's red hair, and Eugenie has that vintage look about her that would really make the tiara look good.

It would be interesting to know who do you think could/should wear the tiara?

sunshine996, the bandeau can't be worn as necklace. I think it is mentioned in THE book that most of Queen Mary's tiaras that she received as wedding presents (4/6, to be precise) could be worn as necklaces, while the later additions/modifications can't.
I think that if the Windsors are to make a pool of jewels to be worn by more than one lady in the family (i.e. start shearing) this one ought to be included in it. Out of the current members of the Royal Family that have worn tiaras so far, I'd love to see this bandeau on The Countess of Wessex and The Princess Royal. I think the former would look lovely with it, while the later has some sapphires to go with the bandeau. Perhaps either of the York Princesses can use it when both attend a tiara event (I DO hope they will go to such events and a smalling down of the RF doesn't have to do with wearing tiaras and jewels, if the rumor is true).
As we've noted before, The Duchess of Cornwall looks better in larger pieces and because of HRH's current position within the family, I'd rather she is the only one to be identified with certain jewels.

Bobby

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » July 2nd, 2012, 10:13 am
Written by JewelFreak » July 2nd, 2012, 7:36 am:Oh, me too, Bobby. It would be just beautiful w/sapphires! We'll never know for sure, of course, whether HM offered Catherine a choice of wedding tiaras or simply gave her the Halo one. Personally, I doubt Kate would have picked any based on its history; she's not a big jewel lover, so the Halo Tiara was the smallest of any we know is still in RF possession. Remember, at first she wanted to wear flowers in her hair, no tiara.

Nice photo of QM's sapphire & diamond bandeau, Sunshine. It looks great on P. Margaret & might on Catherine too, if she had a good tiara hairdo. I think the Yorkies are too young to carry off something that sophisticated but it might look very nice on Sophie, and nobody can deny she needs an alternative to her awkward one.

--- Laurie

If we believe that Catherine Middleton was offered choice of wedding tiara, then we can also believe that Mary Donaldson and Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby were asked which tiara they'd like to receive from their future in-laws. The same applies to María Teresa Mestre y Batista and Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz. The only other choice they had (at least IMO) was not to wear a tiara. Of course, we know that there were a couple of choices for Máxima Zorreguieta, but the family she married into is different when it comes to their jewels.

History and sentiment of the tiaras are left to those who make the final choice - i.e. the owner.

On another note - I don't agree with the statement that the Strathmore tiara was a wedding present to a commoner who became Duchess and then Queen. Lord Strathmore gave the tiara to his daughter (who was a little less common than Miss Middleton), who was destined at that time to lead the quite life of a naval officer's wife, who was also HRH The Duchess of York. At the time of the wedding (1923) Prince Albert was set to become King.
OTOH, the Halo tiara was a present to the same woman when it was clear that the was to become Queen. There is a slight difference and I hope you see it.

Bobby

12190 posts • Page 376 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces