shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342218858|3233493 said:
Any guesses how relevant the info that the pearls were removed by 1946 is? Perhaps it still could be worn with them, but no one had worn them since then? Is this mentioned in The Queen's Diamonds?

Here is what The Queen's Diamonds has to say:

"Queen Mary's tiara was made using diamonds and 12 pearl drops taken from a necklace/tiara given to her on her marriage by "650 Ladies of England." these were supplemented by 13 pearls taken from pieces of her mother's jewelry (including six from a stomacher that had belonged to Mary, Duchess of Gloucester), and a pearl each from the brooches given on her marriage by the town of Richmond and the women of Hampshire. Of the 38 pearls originally mounted on the tiara, 26 (13 of the 19 upright pearls on the cresting, and 13 of the 19 pendant pearls on the band) were made detachable, perhaps those from the Ladies of England Necklace and the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. The six fixed upright pearls on the cresting (now permanently removed) were made detachable in 1932. The tiara was inherited by The Queen from her grandmother in 1953 and was worn by Diana, Princess of Wales, following her marriage in 1981."

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342297853|3233936 said:
Hello everyone,

Just returned from vacation and trying to get caught up on all the posts. The bandeau discussion is interesting. I love that QM altered pieces and had items made interchangeable, but honestly I think I need a flowchart (for possession and alterations), don't know how some of our more well-informed posters keep it all straight. Who is in possession of the one worn by Princess Margaret (one occasion, loaned by her grandmother), has it been altered? I know in the past we have tried to count the number of tiaras in QM/QEII possession, but I have never seen this photo of Princess Margaret, is this one we left out? If it is in storage, I would hope that these jewels are routinely taken care of and not left to collect dust and possibly ruin (ie., the pearl discussion) :( even if styles have changed, there is so much historical significance to them.

Welcome back, laurensmama! I hope you had a great time.

We can only speculate about the fate of the Lozenge bandeau (the one worn Pss Margaret). I for one think that it is still with The Queen in its original form, stored somewhere and waiting to make a re-appearance.
I'm now looking at the list of EII's tiaras and it is included in it ;-)
Actually, it also includes the Surrey tiara and Queen Alexandra's large diamond tiara (aka the Rundell tiara), but these should be removed.

About the pearls I also hope that they are taken care for. With a Crown Jeweller at hand, I can't imagine that they aren't. This is also the reason why I think that the Strathmore tiara is still in good condition ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342377572|3234384 said:
Hello everyone,

There is also an interesting article on some of the Queen's diamonds in this month's Majesty magazine. As a sidebar, what is the necklace she is wearing on the cover of the magazine? I am sure we have discussed it, but it's name escapes me.

Do you mean this issue?
312848_265146640184680_911753728_n.jpg
(picture taken from Majesty magazine's FB account)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1342383909|3234436 said:

"Queen Mary's tiara was made using diamonds and 12 pearl drops taken from a necklace/tiara given to her on her marriage by "650 Ladies of England." these were supplemented by 13 pearls taken from pieces of her mother's jewelry (including six from a stomacher that had belonged to Mary, Duchess of Gloucester), and a pearl each from the brooches given on her marriage by the town of Richmond and the women of Hampshire. Of the 38 pearls originally mounted on the tiara, 26 (13 of the 19 upright pearls on the cresting, and 13 of the 19 pendant pearls on the band) were made detachable, perhaps those from the Ladies of England Necklace and the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara. The six fixed upright pearls on the cresting (now permanently removed) were made detachable in 1932. The tiara was inherited by The Queen from her grandmother in 1953 and was worn by Diana, Princess of Wales, following her marriage in 1981."

Thanks!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342430829|3234706 said:
About the pearls I also hope that they are taken care for. With a Crown Jeweller at hand, I can't imagine that they aren't.
Bobby
I did some research yesterday, pointed in the right direction by somebody on the Pearl forum. The key to keeping pearls in good condition is humidity & air flow. They dry out & crack when stored in safe deposit boxes, etc. It seems logical that the royal jewel vault must have special pearl vault with controlled air & humidity where the pearls can be stored without exposure to any chemicals; if some live in pouches or wrapped, it would be in materials specially made for the purpose, which I'm sure are available -- I've heard of "pearl pouches." Necklaces & bracelets need to be stored flat rather than hung on hooks, so the stringing doesn't stretch.

I wondered how they maintained them before electricity, special pumps, etc., as in Queen Caroline's or Victoria's pearls -- this is from a book on pearls published in 1908:

If there be any foundation for the belief that it is not well to lock
pearls in a safe-deposit box, this is probably owing to the fact that the
absolute exclusion from the air may cause the drying out of the organic
constituent of the pearl. This may be obviated by putting the pearls
in a piece of linen absolutely free from any chemical, at the same time
placing with them a bit of blotting-paper or fiber-paper saturated with
water; the whole should then be wrapped up in paraffin paper, which
will prevent the evaporation of the moisture.

Something along these lines must have been done in early days, probably with frequent attention from the Crown Jeweler.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
That's very interesting information, Laurie! Keeping pearls moist is more or less what I thought should be done to keep them in good condition.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1342383909|3234436 said:

Isn't this a bot of a contradiction. Sir Hugh first mentions 12 drops from the LoE necklace/tiara (there were 17 pearl in this piece!), 2 from the brooches and 13 from The Duchess of Teck's jewels, or a total of 27 pearls. And then her mentions that 13 spikes and 13 pendants were removable, presumably those from the Girls of GB&I tiara and from the LoE tiara. But that would make a total of 40 pearls - 1 more than the number in the tiara.
Or maybe he has confused the numbers?

If we have to speculate - which jewels from Princess Mary Adelaide may've been used? Apart from the stomacher, she also had 2 pairs of pearl drop earrings (4) and the Emperor of Austria brooch (3). Anything else?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I need some help!
The earrings that The Princess Elizabeth wore at her wedding to The Duke of Edinburgh were a present from Queen Mary prior to the tour of South Africa and had belonged to The Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Mary). I believe that in The Queen's Diamonds Sir Hugh Roberts says that the long, elaborate pair of pearl and diamond earrings that The Queen sometimes wears (worn by Queen Mary as pendants) also belonged to The Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and they used to be pendants on the other pair. I also believe that a photograph of the original design is shown in the book.
The original (clusters and drops) passed to Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck. Yet, I can only find photos of HRH wearing the clusters with a large pear shaped pearl drop, without the elaborate diamond frame.
Is it right to think that the two pairs were once the same piece and were the drops that Queen Mary's mother wore taken off the diamond frames and hung on the clusters?
I can post photos if my question is not clear enough.

Thanks in advance!
Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342447750|3234785 said:
I need some help!
The earrings that The Princess Elizabeth wore at her wedding to The Duke of Edinburgh were a present from Queen Mary prior to the tour of South Africa and had belonged to The Duchess of Gloucester (Princess Mary). I believe that in The Queen's Diamonds Sir Hugh Roberts says that the long, elaborate pair of pearl and diamond earrings that The Queen sometimes wears (worn by Queen Mary as pendants) also belonged to The Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and they used to be pendants on the other pair. I also believe that a photograph of the original design is shown in the book.
The original (clusters and drops) passed to Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck. Yet, I can only find photos of HRH wearing the clusters with a large pear shaped pearl drop, without the elaborate diamond frame.
Is it right to think that the two pairs were once the same piece and were the drops that Queen Mary's mother wore taken off the diamond frames and hung on the clusters?
I can post photos if my question is not clear enough.

Thanks in advance!
Bobby

You are pretty much on target. The original pair of earrings from Queen Mary had the diamond and pearl cluster tops with the diamond and pearl pendents...I defer to my new favorite book....

"These earrings with detachable pearl and diamond cluster topes were inherited by Princess Mary Adelaide in 1857 from her aunt Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, and passed on her death in 1897 to Queen Mary (then Duchess of York). The tops were occasionally worn on their own by the Duchess of Teck and by Queen Mary, and were given to Princess Elizabeth on 31 January 1947, the day of her departure with her parents and sister, by ship, for their State Visit to South Africa. The Princess wore them on her wedding day 20 November 1947, and they have been worn regularly every since. The drops, which were sometimes worn as pendants on a fine chain by Queen Mary when Princess of Wales, were bequeathed (with replacement brilliant tops) to the Queen in 1953. Her Majesty frequently wears them with the Vladimir Tiara and Queen Victoria's Golden Jubliee Necklace."

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
JewelFreak|1342434789|3234720 said:
prince.of.preslav|1342430829|3234706 said:
About the pearls I also hope that they are taken care for. With a Crown Jeweller at hand, I can't imagine that they aren't.
Bobby
I did some research yesterday, pointed in the right direction by somebody on the Pearl forum. The key to keeping pearls in good condition is humidity & air flow. They dry out & crack when stored in safe deposit boxes, etc. It seems logical that the royal jewel vault must have special pearl vault with controlled air & humidity where the pearls can be stored without exposure to any chemicals; if some live in pouches or wrapped, it would be in materials specially made for the purpose, which I'm sure are available -- I've heard of "pearl pouches." Necklaces & bracelets need to be stored flat rather than hung on hooks, so the stringing doesn't stretch.

I wondered how they maintained them before electricity, special pumps, etc., as in Queen Caroline's or Victoria's pearls -- this is from a book on pearls published in 1908:

If there be any foundation for the belief that it is not well to lock
pearls in a safe-deposit box, this is probably owing to the fact that the
absolute exclusion from the air may cause the drying out of the organic
constituent of the pearl. This may be obviated by putting the pearls
in a piece of linen absolutely free from any chemical, at the same time
placing with them a bit of blotting-paper or fiber-paper saturated with
water; the whole should then be wrapped up in paraffin paper, which
will prevent the evaporation of the moisture.

Something along these lines must have been done in early days, probably with frequent attention from the Crown Jeweler.

--- Laurie

This is really interesting! So I assume that the detachable pearls of any tiara are kept in their own little, humid area. I can imagine that the jewel vault has different sections for diamonds, rubies, pearls, etc. Ah, to be the Crown Jeweler! :naughty:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1342457217|3234853 said:
You are pretty much on target. The original pair of earrings from Queen Mary had the diamond and pearl cluster tops with the diamond and pearl pendents...I defer to my new favorite book....
[...]

Yay! Thanks, Maria!
I start wondering if I need the book... It seems that I'm aware of most of its contents... Maybe just for the photos, esp those from 'Queen Mary's Jewellery Inventory' ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo of Princess Mary Adelaide wearing the top parts of her aunt Mary's earrings:
mw202259.jpg
Click for full size: Link

And a photo of The Duchess of Teck with the tops and what might be the drops from the original version:
teckgloucesterearrings.jpg

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Sorry Bobby,

There must be a different cover for the American version of Majesty, since ours does not show the montage of photos. The queen's portrait, early in her reign is show in front of the Union Jack. Unfortunately my descriptive skills are lacking, wish I could draw the shape on my laptop screen. It is all diamonds, sort of T shaped in that there appears to be two pieces going horizontally and the middle section hanging vertically. I think it is hanging from a small diamond chain (small being relative :tongue: ), but not like a collet necklace. I am sure that these three pieces are formed by clusters of diamonds and not by single large stones. It does not appear to be art deco or represent a flower or anything like that, just a design created by the jeweler. A rather impressive piece in terms of "carrots" as my daughter would say and size. It is a lovely with nice detail. I am sure we have discussed it, but it is driving me crazy that I can't think of the name of it. Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are two photos of Queen Mary, as Princess of Wales, waring what look like the Duchess of Gloucester's earrings (tops) - Photo 1 and Photo 2

By the way, I find the words "they have been worn regularly every since" in reference to them a bit strange and untrue. In fact, they are rarely worn, the last time being in 2007...
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342471362|3234965 said:
Sorry Bobby,

There must be a different cover for the American version of Majesty, since ours does not show the montage of photos. The queen's portrait, early in her reign is show in front of the Union Jack. Unfortunately my descriptive skills are lacking, wish I could draw the shape on my laptop screen. It is all diamonds, sort of T shaped in that there appears to be two pieces going horizontally and the middle section hanging vertically. I think it is hanging from a small diamond chain (small being relative :tongue: ), but not like a collet necklace. I am sure that these three pieces are formed by clusters of diamonds and not by single large stones. It does not appear to be art deco or represent a flower or anything like that, just a design created by the jeweler. A rather impressive piece in terms of "carrots" as my daughter would say and size. It is a lovely with nice detail. I am sure we have discussed it, but it is driving me crazy that I can't think of the name of it. Thanks.

I'm not sure I can imagine what you describe quite well. Perhaps my imaginative skills are lacking...
Anyway, as far I can understand, you mean this one:
65984984.jpg

Best,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
As you might know, Mr. Andrea Casiraghi, eldest son of HRH The Princess of Hanover, is engaged to be married to Miss Tatiana Santo Domingo. Their engagement was celebrated today at a private party on HRH's yacht. Here is the best photo of the ring thus far - Photo
It would be interesting to know what you think.

More photos can be seen here - Andrea Casiraghi And Tatiana Santo Domingo Celebrate Their Engagment

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342474155|3234986 said:
As you might know, Mr. Andrea Casiraghi, eldest son of HRH The Princess of Hanover, is engaged to be married to Miss Tatiana Santo Domingo. Their engagement was celebrated today at a private party on HRH's yacht. Here is the best photo of the ring thus far - Photo
It would be interesting to know what you think.

More photos can be seen here - Andrea Casiraghi And Tatiana Santo Domingo Celebrate Their Engagment

Bobby

So far, I like her e-ring a lot more than HSH Charlene's. It appears to be a yellow diamond, possibly princess, or cushion cut.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
There are a couple of hours till it's too late...
Happy 65th birthday, Your Royal Highness!
29treflebroochweddingwilliamkate.png
c554.jpg
87246345.jpg
88537635.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to let you know that I have finished an updated list of Queen Elizabeth II's tiaras, based on what we have discussed here and what has been published in The Queen's Diamonds. A total of 25 tiaras are listed, including the Diamond diadem and 4 bandeaus. We know for sure that 16 of these still exist, while 5 others are probably still around.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1342349161|3234233 said:
laurensmama|1342316402|3234080 said:
Found some interesting photos/information on the royal jewels of the world diamond message board. Would anyone with more knowledge than I care to comment. Interesting about writing for information, has anyone ever done that? Here is the link:

http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/thread/1339365104.html

Great idea! It's a surprise & happy info that they always answer & try to help. Hey, Bobby????

--- Laurie

All I can add to what's been posted on the other board is that the Laural Leaf bandeau was seen on Princess Mary, Princess Royal & Countess of Harewood. Whether it belonged to HRH was a loan fro her mother I can only speculate. Though we know that Queen Mary was generous with jewels, so a gift to h only daughter makes sense ;-) The late Princess Royal had her favorite jewels and it seems that she stuck to them for formal events, especially in later life (she was very much like her nice Elizabeth in this regard, only with a smaller collection).

Bobby

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Bobby,

You are the best! That is exactly what I was attempting to describe, so what is the name of the necklace? Also please print the list of tiaras you have compiled. Thanks.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1342556537|3235661 said:
Bobby,

You are the best! That is exactly what I was attempting to describe, so what is the name of the necklace? Also please print the list of tiaras you have compiled. Thanks.

I only got it because you mentioned the T-shape and the chain of diamonds. I even asked my mother if she thinks this necklace fits you description, which is quite good actually, and she agreed.
To answer your question - The necklace was made by Cartier in 1935 with more pendants. It was sold the next year and returned to the firm in 1937. It spent the following 10 years with Cartier and was modified to its present state. The necklace was presented, along with a diamond tiara, to Princess Elizabeth by the Nizam of Hyderbad on the occasion of her marriage in November 1947. It is commonly called The Nizam of Hyderbad necklace after the person who gave it to the future Elizabeth II.
The necklace was notably worn by The Queen at the dinner for the European Sovereigns (part of the Golden Jubilee celebrations) in 2002. Its last outing was in 2009 at the CHOGM in Trinidad &Tobago.
OK, I gave more info than you asked for, but I know that you'll appreciate it ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The tiaras that HM The Queen has worn
1.Grand Duchess Vladimir's diamond hoop tiara - with pearl drops, with emerald drops and empty
2.the 1957 aquamarine tiara +
3.the 1968 aquamarine tiara +
4.the 1971 aquamarine tiara
5.the Girls of Great Britain & Ireland tiara - with and without the base
6.Queen Alexandra's diamond kokoshnik
7.the Oriental Circlet
8.the Burmese ruby tiara
9.the sapphire tiara
10.the Nizam of Hyderabad +
11.the Lover's Knot tiara
12.Queen Mary's fringe tiara
13.The Diamond Diadem
14.The Plunkett pearl and diamond tiara (a one-time loan)

Tiaras formerly belonging to Queen Elizabeth
1.the Greville tiara
2.the Strathmore rose tiara
3.Queen Adelaide's fringe necklace/tiara
4.the Halo tiara
5.the Delhi Durbar tiara
6.the Duchess of Teck's tiara
7. the Double Meander tiara**
*there must be an emerald and diamond bandeau from the Greville collection

Tiaras formerly belonging to Queen Mary
1.the small filigree tiara**
2.the sapphire bandeau**
3.the lozenge bandeau**

**none of these has has been worn recently nor appeared in publications about the jewels in HM's collection and they might not exist in their original form, though it's more likely that they are still intact.

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342020118|3232345 said:
From the Court Circular for 10 July 2012:
APPENDIX TO COURT CIRCULAR: The Queen has been pleased to appoint Mr. Martin Swift to be Crown Jeweller upon the retirement of Mr. Harry Collins, with effect from 21st July, 2012.

Now does anybody know something abut Martin Swift? Harry Collins works with antique jewels. What about Mr.Swift?

Bobby

According to the Daily Telegraph, Mr.Swift is a designer for the silversmiths Mappin&Webb. But Mappin&Webb will have nothing to do with his new role as Crown Jeweler.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Bobby,

Thank you for your updated list! I have a, stupid, question, when you say "Tiaras Formerly Belonging to QE" do you mean, "tiaras that have been given to other family members i.e. life time loans", correct?

Do you have a picture of the Plunkett Tiara that was a loan?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1342567903|3235740 said:
According to the Daily Telegraph, Mr.Swift is a designer for the silversmiths Mappin&Webb. But Mappin&Webb will have nothing to do with his new role as Crown Jeweler.

Thanks. Do you have a link to the DT article?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1342579706|3235866 said:
Bobby,

Thank you for your updated list! I have a, stupid, question, when you say "Tiaras Formerly Belonging to QE" do you mean, "tiaras that have been given to other family members i.e. life time loans", correct?

Do you have a picture of the Plunkett Tiara that was a loan?

Tiaras formerly belonging to Queen Elizabeth refers to tiaras that were in the collection of George VI's Consort that are now owned by Elizabeth II (either inherited in 2002 or having entered HM's collection at an earlier date) and which The Queen has not worn (in public). Four of these tiaras have been loaned to other members of the Royal Family - The Greville tiara, the Delhi Durbar tiara, the Duchess of Teck's tiara to the Duchess of Cornwall, and the Halo tiara to the Duchess of Cambridge.
The + after tiaras 2,3 and 10 means that these tiaras have been dismantled to make new ones.

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1342694887|3236528 said:
sunshine996|1342567903|3235740 said:

Thanks. Do you have a link to the DT article?

Here you are:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/9400601/The-Queen-appoints-new-Crown-Jeweller.html

And thank you for explainination of the Queen's former/loaned tiaras. :)

Side note: Did any of you see Catherine's Cartier Trinity Ring Necklace? Thoughts?

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Per Catherine's new necklace, there are five rings not sure why they are calling it a trinity necklace unless they are referring to the three separate rings which forms each hoop. Also it is reported to have cost 49,000 pounds. Wonder who gave it to her, am assuming at that price tag it was a gift. I think it is very pretty, wasn't aware until I saw a close up picture that it included pave diamonds, reported to be 18 carat gold and is 80 cm long. Maybe the jewelry box is slowly opening. If it was a gift, maybe she received more "casual ones" as opposed to "state dinner" pieces

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very pretty -- my first reaction on seeing pics of Catherine wearing that necklace was, "Thank goodness! Finally bling!" BP 49000? Holy moley, though; it doesn't look that expensive. Maybe it was a 1st anniversary present from William?

Bobby, thank you millions for the list of tiaras! What a difficult accomplishment & very useful.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results