Royal Jewels

Chat about jewelry, watches, antiques pieces, and more. No man-made gemstones and no pearls.

• 12201 posts • Page 370 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Re: Royal Jewels

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 26th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Written by TL » May 23rd, 2012, 9:15 pm:Princess Madeline looking gorgeous in beautiful diamond drop earrings and a broach at her niece's christening.

It's not a brooch but an agraffe with the portrait of the reigning monarch in Sweden worn on a Seraphim blue ribbon. This is the closest thing to a Family Order min Sweden, like the ones we know in the United Kingdom and in Norway. In my post about the christening you can see that The Queen & The Crown Princess also wore an agraffe with the miniature portrait of The King (their husband and father, respectively).

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 26th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Written by Arkteia » May 23rd, 2012, 10:37 pm:This is a movie about a Faberge tiara... it belonged to many royalties

http://vimeo.com/7944153

This video remindes me how much jewellery, especially tiaras, was lost for the Belgian royal family... And it's strange that the family hasn't re-aquired any of these items when they were sold...It's not as if they have a vault full of jewels, you know ;)

By the way, I do wonder what jewels the descendants of the Dukes of Leuchtenberg still own. They had some remarkable jewels, including this Faberge beauty.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 26th, 2012, 4:48 pm
As I've said before, sales of (royal) jewels make me sad, especially when the jewel has been worn by a person I've had a soft spot for.
This is the case with Princess Viggo's garnet, pearl and diamond kokoshnik which was worn by Countess Ruth of Rosenborg on numerous royal events. At least we now know that the diamond riviere on top is still detachable, though I can't understand why no one ever wore it as a necklace (Princess Viggo excluded). Another strange thing IMO is that no provenance is given.
You can read more about the tiara and necklace (in Swedish,of course) in this link - DIADEM/DIAMANTRIVIÈRE

Bobby

Post by AmayasV » May 27th, 2012, 1:24 am
BANGKOK, 25 May 2012 The Fine Arts Department has recorded the historic visit of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to Thung Makham Yong in Ayutthaya on 25 May 2012. Thung Makham Yong is one of HM the King’s royally initiated projects. The field has been turned into a large pond to store water during the wet season to prevent flooding in the city area of Ayutthaya.

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 27th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Written by AmayasV » May 27th, 2012, 1:24 am:BANGKOK, 25 May 2012 The Fine Arts Department has recorded the historic visit of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to Thung Makham Yong in Ayutthaya on 25 May 2012. Thung Makham Yong is one of HM the King’s royally initiated projects. The field has been turned into a large pond to store water during the wet season to prevent flooding in the city area of Ayutthaya.

What brooch is The Queen wearing in these photos? Is it possibly this one?

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 27th, 2012, 6:24 pm
A couple of days ago the Danish Royal Family attended a concert with the Royal Life Guards music corps. The concert was attended by The Queen & The Prince Consort, Queen Anna-Maria, The Crown Prince & Crown Princess, Prince Joachim & Princess Marie, Princess Benedikte and Cout Ingolf & Countess Sussie af Rosenborg.

Her Majesty wore her four row pearl necklace, the ruby earrings from Prince Henrik, the two haircombs and the badge of the Royal Life Guards:

Queen Anna Maria wore her large pearl necklace, ruby and diamond earrings with pearl drop and a brooch (the same that HM wore at the christening of Pince Christian, I believe). Aren't the drop-shaped pearls the same as the ones HM wore at the lunch at Windsor Castle earlier this month?

Crown Princess Mary wore the new version of the earrings from the ruby parure, the bracelet and the ring (see link for photos).

Princess Marie wore a new (to me, at least) pair of earrings, the brooch from the Prince Consort and a new ring with a large pearl:

Princess Benedikte wore her pearl and emerald bead necklace with a single strand of pearls. I'm not sure about the earrings, but HRH wore an emerald and diamond brooch which both she and Princess Alexandra have worn as pendant. BTW, this is new hair style for the Princess, right?

More photos can be seen here - 24-05-2012 Copenhagen

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 28th, 2012, 4:12 pm
Last night TSH The Prince & Princess of Monaco attended a Formula One Grand Prix Gala Dinner at the Monte Carlo Sporting Club. The Princess wore a new pair of long earrings. Lovely as they are, I think this is the only time we'll see them on her, as is the trend with most of Charlène's jewels...

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 28th, 2012, 4:35 pm
From the Court Circular - The Countess of Wessex, on behalf of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Foundation, today attended the Monaco Grand Prix and this evening attended a Gala Dinner at the Monte Carlo Sporting Club, Monaco
HRH wore her modern diamond necklace and cluster earrings (a fav combo lately, it seems):

ImageImage
Photo by Didier Baverel/WireImage/Photo by Didier Baverel/WireImage

Also present at the dinner were TRH The Duke & Duchess of Castro. The Duchess wore a pair of modern diamond earrings and bracelet:

ImageImage
Photo by Didier Baverel/WireImage/Photo by Didier Baverel/WireImage

Bobby

Post by LadyMaria » May 29th, 2012, 7:58 am
I saw pictures of Sophie on another website and thought that pink dress looked great! The necklace was perfect...substantial enough to be noticed, but not gaudy and over the top.
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by Arkteia » May 29th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Post by Arkteia » May 29th, 2012, 1:05 pm
And I do not know if anyone else has posted it before.... I loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17-412d-tPA&feature=related

Post by AmayasV » May 29th, 2012, 8:17 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » May 27th, 2012, 5:21 pm:
Written by AmayasV » May 27th, 2012, 1:24 am:BANGKOK, 25 May 2012 The Fine Arts Department has recorded the historic visit of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to Thung Makham Yong in Ayutthaya on 25 May 2012. Thung Makham Yong is one of HM the King’s royally initiated projects. The field has been turned into a large pond to store water during the wet season to prevent flooding in the city area of Ayutthaya.

What brooch is The Queen wearing in these photos? Is it possibly this one?

Bobby

It's different ,a sapphire in the center looks smaller than the old one.

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:20 pm

As a coincidence, today (30th May) is the anniversary of the birth of Carl Faberge ;) One of the greatest jewellery of all times, in my opinion.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Written by AmayasV » May 29th, 2012, 8:17 pm:It's different ,a sapphire in the center looks smaller than the old one.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:31 pm
Yesterday TM The King & Queen of Sweden arrived in South Korea for a State Visit. The first day was labeled as unofficial, yet TM visited and attended a reception at the National Museum. Queen Silvia wore her large brooch/devant-de-corsage with diamonds and pink stones, matching earrings (first seen in April 2010) and a pendant to match:
Photo courtesy DayLife

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Today the official part of the State Visit started and King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia visited the War Memorial of Korea in Seoul. Her Majesty wore her necklace of twisted rows of pearls, new pearl and diamond earrings (half pearl in bezel setting with a diamond underneath) and the brooch that she wore at the Te Deum after Princess Estelle's birth:
Photo courtesy Daylife

Here is a close up of the brooch - it looks like a rosette/cockade in white gold with a conch pearl/coral in the middle:

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:57 pm
At the state banquet (lounge suits and long dresses) Queen Silvia wore the necklace of large Oriental pearls (worn at her grandaughter's christening) with the smaller pair of pear-shaped pearl earrings an her two row pearl bracelet with diamond monogram/clasp:

Photo courtesy JONAS EKSTRÖMER/Scanpix Sweden/picturedesk.com

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 4:37 pm
While browsing the net a few days ago, I came across some photos from the 2008 wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier. One of the photos shows Suzanne Vind (nee Countess av Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille), the wife of Erik Vind, a grandson of Prince Erik of Denmark, wearing one of Princess Viggo, Countess of Rosenborg's tiaras in its smallest form and a set of turquoise and diamond jewellery. Suzanne Vind was a lady-in-waiting to Princess Alexandra and often attended tiara events where she wore this tiara in one of its other forms - with turquoise spikes.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 6:07 pm
Do you know where I can find a HQ/high rez copy of this portrait of The Princess Royal?

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 31st, 2012, 2:13 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » May 30th, 2012, 3:49 pm:Today the official part of the State Visit started and King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia visited the War Memorial of Korea in Seoul. Her Majesty wore her necklace of twisted rows of pearls, new pearl and diamond earrings (half pearl in bezel setting with a diamond underneath) and the brooch that she wore at the Te Deum after Princess Estelle's birth:
Photo courtesy Daylife

Here is a close up of the brooch - it looks like a rosette/cockade in white gold with a conch pearl/coral in the middle:

Bobby

Correction - the earrings are not new. Previously we've seen them wore with a red/ruby bead below the diamond:

Photo by Junko Kimura/Getty Images

Post by prince.of.preslav » May 31st, 2012, 2:20 pm
At the return dinner Queen Silvia wore her modern V-shaped diamond necklace with its original cabochon emerald pendant, the matching earrings and modern bar brooch:
Photo courtesy JONAS EKSTRÖMER / Scanpix Sweden / picturedesk.com

Bobby

Post by LadyMaria » May 31st, 2012, 5:08 pm
Written by prince.of.preslav » May 31st, 2012, 2:20 pm:At the return dinner Queen Silvia wore her modern V-shaped diamond necklace with its original cabochon emerald pendant, the matching earrings and modern bar brooch:
Photo courtesy JONAS EKSTRÖMER / Scanpix Sweden / picturedesk.com

Bobby

I love the emerald earrings and necklace, but the brooch gets totally lost against the print of the dress.
Lady Maria

"HM Queen of Chemistry, Tsarina of Teaching, Princess of Puke, and Madam Mad Scientist"

Post by LadyMaria » May 31st, 2012, 5:18 pm
Written by Arkteia » May 23rd, 2012, 10:37 pm:This is a movie about a Faberge tiara... it belonged to many royalties

http://vimeo.com/7944153

Interesting video...it would appear they put more effort into making this exhibit accurate than they do some of their dinosaur exhibits.
Lady Maria

Post by BubblyBear » May 31st, 2012, 7:31 pm
HA! I live in Houston and went to this Faberge exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS). I actually go to the museum about once a year - LM,they've just redone the dinosaur hall for the first time in over 30 years. My husband took me to the Faberge exhibit for our first Valentine's Day together. That tiara is gooooooooooorgeous in person.

Post by LadyMaria » June 1st, 2012, 2:29 pm
Written by BubblyBear » May 31st, 2012, 7:31 pm:HA! I live in Houston and went to this Faberge exhibit at the Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS). I actually go to the museum about once a year - LM,they've just redone the dinosaur hall for the first time in over 30 years. My husband took me to the Faberge exhibit for our first Valentine's Day together. That tiara is gooooooooooorgeous in person.

Even the new dinosaur exhibits have issues, but I won't go into details because that would be majorly off topic ;) That was a very sweet thing for your DH to do for the your first Valentine's Day. There was no way I was going to get my DH to go to the Diana exhibit with me last summer, even with his tendancy to buy me assorted sparkly things!
Lady Maria

"The Queen's man about crowns"

Post by singingbell » June 2nd, 2012, 2:28 am
Just saw this article about the former Crown Jeweller to the British royal family -- hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9305632/How-the-Queens-man-about-crowns-brought-sparkle-to-her-celebrations.html

Interesting stories about several pieces of royal jewelry that I had not heard before, particularly the "kerfuffle" over the present Queen's wedding tiara in 1947. Now I see how being the Crown Jeweller is a 24/7 job.
Re: "The Queen's man about crowns"

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 2nd, 2012, 4:44 pm
Written by singingbell » June 2nd, 2012, 2:28 am:Just saw this article about the former Crown Jeweller to the British royal family -- hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9305632/How-the-Queens-man-about-crowns-brought-sparkle-to-her-celebrations.html

Interesting stories about several pieces of royal jewelry that I had not heard before, particularly the "kerfuffle" over the present Queen's wedding tiara in 1947. Now I see how being the Crown Jeweller is a 24/7 job.

Thanks for the link :) He dosn't say anything new, yet the article is interesting to read.
About the "kerfuffle" - That's a rather well know story, actually. The fringe tiara snapped in two just before it was placed on Princess Elizabeth's head and the Court Jeweller had to come at the palace in a hurry to repair it. In photos one can actually see that there is a larger gap between the central fringe and the one on the right (our left). I guess that's where the tiara broke. Further mending must've been made later as there isn't such a large gap now.
Actually, last year we were told a slightly different story about the accident by Lady Pamela Hicks, who was a bridesmaid at the wedding. Quoting The Queen she said something along the lines of "Don't worry, dear. We have a dozen of other diamond tiaras here. We'll find you something (nice) to wear.". I think that either Lady Pamela's memory is/was playing tricks or Her Majesty was joking ;)

By the way, since G.Collins & Sons is stepping down as Crown Jeweller, I do wonder who will get the Royal Warrant. I believe BP said that the appointment will be made public later this year.

Bobby

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 2nd, 2012, 5:39 pm
Archduchess Francesca wore a bandeau of clear stones at a fund-raising gala at Hofburg in Vienna. At first I thought it might be the pearl and diamond bandeau that she wore at her wedding (among other events), but looking closely it certainly is another piece. I wonder if HI&RH still has access to the Habsburg jewels and if it's real...
Anyway, I think this is the first time we see Archduchess Francesca with a tiara since the wedding in Denmark in 2004 and her appearance as Queen Maria Henrietta in Kronprinz Rudolf (2006).

Two photos HI&RH at the gala (by Mathias Kniepeiss and Johannes Simon) can be seen here and here.

PS: The dress looks like a modern version of a Hartnell gown Queen Elizabeth would've worn, don't you think?

Bobby
Re: "The Queen's man about crowns"

Post by singingbell » June 3rd, 2012, 1:46 am
Written by prince.of.preslav » June 2nd, 2012, 4:44 pm:About the "kerfuffle" - That's a rather well know story, actually. The fringe tiara snapped in two just before it was placed on Princess Elizabeth's head and the Court Jeweller had to come at the palace in a hurry to repair it. In photos one can actually see that there is a larger gap between the central fringe and the one on the right (our left). I guess that's where the tiara broke. Further mending must've been made later as there isn't such a large gap now.
Actually, last year we were told a slightly different story about the accident by Lady Pamela Hicks, who was a bridesmaid at the wedding. Quoting The Queen she said something along the lines of "Don't worry, dear. We have a dozen of other diamond tiaras here. We'll find you something (nice) to wear.". I think that either Lady Pamela's memory is/was playing tricks or Her Majesty was joking ;)

Funny you should mention it, Bobby... I did wonder while I was reading the story, why they decided on the rushed repair for the broken tiara when there were undoubtedly many other dazzling tiaras to choose from in the royal vault. Was there some sentimental history attached to that particular fringe tiara?

Post by prince.of.preslav » June 3rd, 2012, 6:13 am
For all those who want to see something really spectacular, you can watch the Diamond Jubilee river pageant - some 1000 vessels sailing on the River Thames - live courtesy the BBC. The pageant will start in less than 1h 30min when The Queen will embark the Royal barge, the Spirit of Chartwell, near Albert Bridge.

Here is the link to the live coverage - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18313813

Have a wonderful day,
Bobby

12201 posts • Page 370 of 4071, 2, 3, ..., 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, ..., 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, ..., 404, 405, 406, 407

« Return to Jewelry Pieces