shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Hmmm.... They look the same to me, but if it is Queen Mary's choker, what was Queen Elizabeth's bracelet made out of? Could it be a matching bracelet from the set, or can the choker be made into a bracelet, if not several bracelets? :confused: Or there is the possibility that a matching bracelet was made to match. I would like to see it being worn again because it is a beautiful piece. Princess Anne wears chokers quite well!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340313915|3221318 said:
Hmmm.... They look the same to me, but if it is Queen Mary's choker, what was Queen Elizabeth's bracelet made out of? Could it be a matching bracelet from the set, or can the choker be made into a bracelet, if not several bracelets? :confused: Or there is the possibility that a matching bracelet was made to match. I would like to see it being worn again because it is a beautiful piece. Princess Anne wears chokers quite well!

A couple of times I mentioned that Princess Marie Louise has worn a similar pair of bracelets. It is known that the Princess left her jewels to various members of the British Royal Family (smt I also said before!). Combine the two and you'll get your answer ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340313150|3221304 said:
I thought that it was Victoria's brooch that you had mentioned. I think that the bar brooches look best when worn with Orders. They look kind of silly just pinned onto the shoulder like that. Has Queen has ever worn one to hold her Order in place?
In the post dealing with the 14-stone bar brooch I said - As the bar brooches are usually worn at the back, we don't have many photos. However, Elizabeth II has worn it a couple of times for daytime events. This translates as: The Queen usually uses a bb to secure her sash at the back, yet on occasion HM has worn it is a normal brooch, on the left shoulder, for daytime events.

I was wondering if any of you have a better picture of the brooch that the Countess of Wessex wore to the Acsot? It appears to be a knot of some sort and/or two interlocking hearts.

This photo is slightly better, I believe - Link It's an old jewel in HRH's collection and she also has a 3 row pearl necklace with matching diamond clasp/centerpiece.

She also wore some diamond and pearl earrings that the Duchess of Cambridge has worn. Are they the same pair, on loan from the Queen, or did they both got a pair as a wedding present?

They are not wedding presents, they are not loans. Each lady owns her pair. I'm afraid, though, that they are not real diamonds and pearls. The earrings are made of CZ in sterling silver setting. You can see they here - http://www.heavenlynecklaces.com/earrings/

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the better picture of Sophie's brooch, and thank you for your patience with me! :wavey: I'm a known speed reader and sometimes I skip over sentences that have key information.

Because no one else has said it.... Happy 30th Birthday Prince William!

73425121.jpg

article-2162398-13b2692d000005dc-810_470x681.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here is the best photo of The Countess of Wessex's brooch from the third day of races in Ascot. As sunshine996 said, it does appear to be in the form of two interlocking hearts:
146654888.jpg
Photo by Indigo/Getty Images

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Royal Ascot, Day 4 - The Queen wore the amethyst bouquet brooch (Link); Princess Michael wore her large Tahitian pearl necklace and Tahitian pearl and diamond cluster earrings (Link).

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Bobby,
I've been researching for two hours and still haven't found anything on Princess Michael's Tulip brooch.:(sad
It looks like it could be costume jewelry, but for some reason I think I've seen it in an older photo, perhaps on Queen Mary.

I have a quick question:Is the Kent Amethyst parure just a demi-parure, or does it have a tiara? I've been reading up on the Queen's amethyst jewelry and have heard conflicting reports on the subjuct.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340406707|3222097 said:
Bobby,
I've been researching for two hours and still haven't found anything on Princess Michael's Tulip brooch.:(sad
It looks like it could be costume jewelry, but for some reason I think I've seen it in an older photo, perhaps on Queen Mary.

I don't think Queen Mary ever wore a similar brooch. At leas I've not seen a photo that suggests the opposite. Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent's collection might be a more likely source. However, I'm more inclined to believe that the brooch is a new acquisition for/by Princess Michael.
Thanks for searching, though. I really appreciate this :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340406707|3222097 said:
(...)
I have a quick question:Is the Kent Amethyst parure just a demi-parure, or does it have a tiara? I've been reading up on the Queen's amethyst jewelry and have heard conflicting reports on the subjuct.

It is a demi-parure. As far as I know, it consists of a large pendant necklace, a pair/trio of brooches (though I think there might be only one!), earrings and (two) haircomb(s). No tiara, so no full parure.
On a personal note, I think it's a great pity that the demi-parure isn't worn more often (we've seen it only twice on HM). I'd love to see a formal portrait of The Queen with the amethysts. Who knows, perhaps one day Camilla will wear it in full? She does seem to be fond of amethyst jewels.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of amethysts.. Here is a nice photo of Elizabeth II's first State Visit, to uncle Gustaf Adolf:
rainab0.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I just found this photo of The Queen meeting Charlie Chaplin in 1952 and wondered which tiara HM's wore then. It looks like the Girls of GB&I, but a bit more... rigid. What do you think?
Also, what about the white think of on HM's back - a pearl choker or the strap of the dress?
6187895559_460cf92019_o.jpg
Close up:
queenunknowntiara.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I think someone asked for a photo of a jewelled Garter on one of the previous pages. Here is an exmaple that was presented to Prince Albert by Queen Victoria on the eve of their wedding:
441143.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Prince Caonsosrt's Garter, as well as that made for Queen Victoria, was part of the exhibition Victoria & Albert: Art & Love at BP.
You can read about it here and see it better resolution - Garter of Prince Albert

And Queen Victoria's - Garter

PS: I think Queen Alexandra is the only Queen after Victoria not to have worn a garter on her arm. I'm not 100% sure about Elizabeth II.

Bobby

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340463125|3222375 said:
I just found this photo of The Queen meeting Charlie Chaplin in 1952 and wondered which tiara HM's wore then. It looks like the Girls of GB&I, but a bit more... rigid. What do you think?
Also, what about the white think of on HM's back - a pearl choker or the strap of the dress?
6187895559_460cf92019_o.jpg
Close up:
queenunknowntiara.jpg

It is the Girls of GB and I, but it either is in its lower setting (without the base), or it appears rigid because it is in the setting without the base.

I think that it is a strap of the dress because there is no texture like pearl chokers have in photos. It could be a choker set on some sort of fabric though.

"It is a demi-parure. As far as I know, it consists of a large pendant necklace, a pair/trio of brooches (though I think there might be only one!), earrings and (two) haircomb(s). No tiara, so no full parure.
On a personal note, I think it's a great pity that the demi-parure isn't worn more often (we've seen it only twice on HM). I'd love to see a formal portrait of The Queen with the amethysts. Who knows, perhaps one day Camilla will wear it in full? She does seem to be fond of amethyst jewels."

Thank you for clarifying my predicament! I also wish HM would wear it more, but I guess we'll have to settle on Camilla. She looks good in the bigger jewels. Maybe Catherine will wear them in the future as well; at least the amethysts would look good against her colouring. I wish that there was a matching tiara with the Kent parure and I can't forgive the Queen Mum for selling Queen Mary's amethyst parure! :o

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I've been meaning to post more pictures from the vintage coronation colorings boosk, but I have been having a lot of trouble with posting attachments for a while now...it keeps telling me the server is busy. Anyone else having these problems?

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria,

I haven't had any problems attaching pictures. Maybe you could try to refresh the page? Sometimes that works for me.

Scotsgirl

Rough_Rock
Bobby - If you haven't already seen it, there is a pathe film clip of Queen Elizabeth meeting Charlie Chaplin at the Royal Command Film Performance 1952. At the end of the short film a perfect view of the front of HM's gown which would indicate that it has a halter neck.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I'm crossing my fingers this one will work!

qeiicoloring4.jpg

qeiicoloring5.jpg

qeiicoloring6.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I better keep adding pictures while I can because it seems to finally be working for me!

qeiipaperdolls1.jpg

qeiipaperdolls2.jpg

qeiipaperdolls3.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Note the little paper tiaras too!

qeiipaperdolls4.jpg

qeiipaperdolls5.jpg

qeiipaperdolls6.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
LadyMaria,

Thank you for the picures! I'm glad that the system finally worked for you! The Paper Doll book and Colouring Book are in fantastic condition. You are so lucky to have them! I'm quite jealous!!! ;D

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
Well, yesterday the Queen wore her Rhodesian Flame Lily brooch. I thought that she would wear the Australian Wattle brooch since Black Caviar was running in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes (and won).

rhodesianflamelilybrooch.jpg

australianwattlebrooch.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1340553559|3222832 said:
I'm crossing my fingers this one will work!

Interesting photos, Maria!
It's interesting to see (to me at least) that the two gowns and the jewels have been inspired by items in HM's collection. For example, I can spot a few of the wedding presents to the then
Princess Elizabeth and it looks like the the first dress is similar to the one worn in the photo with Chaplin ;-)

PS: Is anyone able to find another photo from of Elizabeth II and Sir Charles? I wonder if she wore a necklace then, like the picture in Lady Maria's book shows.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340638652|3223254 said:
Well, yesterday the Queen wore her Rhodesian Flame Lily brooch. I thought that she would wear the Australian Wattle brooch since Black Caviar was running in the Diamond Jubilee Stakes (and won).

The Flame Lily brooch is worn quite often these days, don't you think? And it was thus one of the predictable choices for Her Majesty to wear, along with Queen Victoria's bow brooch and Cullinan V brooch. As obviously this was the intended outfit, I would've picked some emeralds (like The Queen did in Ireland)- the larger of the Cambridge emerald brooches (perhaps without the pendant) or the Ladies of India brooch. As this THE Diamond Jubilee year, one of the Cullinan brooches would've been nice to see as well.
Anyway, I do think that HM looked lovely. Here are two photos courtesy Zimbio - Photo1 and Photo2

PS: Was Black Caviar the first Aussie horse to run at Ascot? And of course congratulations to her :)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today, The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, attend the Three Counties Diamond Jubilee River Pageant at the Henley Business College. Her Majesty wore the aquamarine and diamond clips in their regular positioning. A pty that The Queen doesn't wear as one brooch anymore...
A photo can be seen here - Link

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Scotsgirl|1340542693|3222773 said:
Bobby - If you haven't already seen it, there is a pathe film clip of Queen Elizabeth meeting Charlie Chaplin at the Royal Command Film Performance 1952. At the end of the short film a perfect view of the front of HM's gown which would indicate that it has a halter neck.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't noticed your post until now, but searched for the video as soon as I did. The video perfectly answers my questions regarding the jewels and reveals something else. We can clearly see that the young Queen is wearing the Girls of GB&I tiara, the Greville chandelier earrings AND the Dorset bow brooch in the center of her corsage. This is indeed one of the rare occasions when HM has worn a brooch like that. See this photo:
default_0.jpg

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340654877|3223429 said:
sunshine996|1340638652|3223254 said:

The Flame Lily brooch is worn quite often these days, don't you think? And it was thus one of the predictable choices for Her Majesty to wear, along with Queen Victoria's bow brooch and Cullinan V brooch. As obviously this was the intended outfit, I would've picked some emeralds (like The Queen did in Ireland)- the larger of the Cambridge emerald brooches (perhaps without the pendant) or the Ladies of India brooch. As this THE Diamond Jubilee year, one of the Cullinan brooches would've been nice to see as well.
Anyway, I do think that HM looked lovely. Here are two photos courtesy Zimbio - Photo1 and Photo2

PS: Was Black Caviar the first Aussie horse to run at Ascot? And of course congratulations to her :)

Bobby

I do think that the Flame Lily is a tad overworn. Don't get me wrong, I love the brooch, and it has nice visual texture, but it seems like she wears it every. single. year. Emeralds would've been perfect with the green and blue of her outfit. And of course "Granny's Chips" would've looked good as well! ;-) Some pearls would've been lovely too. Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Brooch comes to mind (but then again it is one of my favorite brooches that she wears!)

To reply to your P.S.: I think she was. I know that it was the first time that she had raced outside of Australia.

sunshine996

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1340655570|3223436 said:
Today, The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, attend the Three Counties Diamond Jubilee River Pageant at the Henley Business College. Her Majesty wore the aquamarine and diamond clips in their regular positioning. A pty that The Queen doesn't wear as one brooch anymore...
A photo can be seen here - Link

Bobby

I like the brooches worn together as one, too. I don't mind them worn as separate pieces if they are worn on the straps of dresses, or attaching a cape to an evening gown. It's too bad that her aquamarine tiara wasn't re-worked to be more like the design of these Cartier clips.

750744-1225293769.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
sunshine996|1340656951|3223455 said:
I do think that the Flame Lily is a tad overworn. Don't get me wrong, I love the brooch, and it has nice visual texture, but it seems like she wears it every. single. year. Emeralds would've been perfect with the green and blue of her outfit. And of course "Granny's Chips" would've looked good as well! ;-) Some pearls would've been lovely too. Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Brooch comes to mind (but then again it is one of my favorite brooches that she wears!)

To reply to your P.S.: I think she was. I know that it was the first time that she had raced outside of Australia.

I can't say that I love the Flame Lilly brooch but certainly like it a lot (btw, in the last 4 years the FL has skipped Ascot). In recent years (at least since I pay attention to brooches) it seems to have entered the pool of the most worn brooches in The Queen's collection (where the bows, the Cullinan V, the three-foil and a few more have a special place). At least we know that HM also likes it ;-)
Agree about pearls. I'd also add the other large pearl and diamond brooch that Queen Elizabeth (QM) wore (also worn by The Queen for a Christmas broadcast a couple of years ago). Yet, my personal favourites remain the emeralds.

Back to the Flame Lilly brooch - Has it ever occurred to you (and I mean all people here) that Elizabeth II might be switching between her own brooch and that of her mother? Or maybe some day we will be surprised by the two Flame Lillies worn side by side?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results