shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum Engagement Ring and a White Gold Wedding ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

key3187

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I bought my fiance a platinum solitaire engagement ring. Since then, we have been looking at wedding bands and she doesn''t see why to buy a platinum wedding ring versus a white gold one. The jeweler (shane co.) told us we could tack the two metals together, and the platinum would just be rhodium plated. They also said this would result in color differences in wearing.

What do you think? Is this a good idea? Should we just go for the platinum wedding band? Or maybe trade down to a white gold engagement ring?

Any solder issues?

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would splurge for the platinum band. Platinum and white gold age differently. It all depends on what you''d rather live with. I prefer platinum. However, platinum gets dinged up so I bring mine in to get buffed once a year. White gold tuns yellow and you have to bring it in to get it dipped in rhodium. It''s personal. For me, I prefer to not have to dip anything to keep my metal white, but some people don''t like the patina of platinum over time. If your fiance thinks she may want to wear her wedding band without the engagement ring on occasion (beach, pool, heavy lifting etc) then I wouldn''t solder them together. Hope that didn''t just make your decision harder!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go for plat too - you''ll be wearing those two rings together pretty much all the time, I imagine? Mixing metals, esp. so frequently, can only lead to trouble
40.gif

If plat. is too much of a splurge perhpas palladium would be a better fit?

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
I would go platinum a white gold band made horrid marks on my e-ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results