shape
carat
color
clarity

Platinum alloy advice for a matt 6mm half-round wedding band

leden

Rough_Rock
I am interested in buying a 6mm classic half-round wedding band in with a brushed (matt-like) finish, something like this:
http://www.bluenile.com/high-dome-wedding-ring-platinum-6-mm_47187?elem=title&track=product
from one of the local jewelerly stores (not bluenile) for a similar price ($900). The size would be 8.5 and comfort fit, and the alloy contains 5% Iridium (they cannot change that).

However, after reading a became a bit sceptical about the 95%Pt / 5%Ir alloy that I commonly see around here in Chicago. As far as I have read on this forum, the 90% Pt / 10% Ir seems like a superior alloy, and even more so 95% Pt / 5% Ruthenium, which is supposedly much more scratch and wear resistant.

Let's say that the patina wouldn't bother me as much as scratch resistance (the ring is 6mm wide) or bending (it is not thick). Honestly, I am not a person who does a lot of physical work either, but I do want my ring not to tear down during my lifetime. Finally, I wouldn't mind the slight difference in color (if any).

Since I am going with a brushed finish (which is less shiny and "scratched" by default), is it still worth (both price-wise and hassle-wise) going with the other two stronger alloys from a different jewelry store (yet to be found)?
Conversely, what would be the advantages of going with a 95%Pt / 5%Ir alloy for the ring similar as above?
Finally, how much of a difference do you think it would make for me as a user?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results