shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls - treated for lustre and orient

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Does this work? LINK

The idea sounds brilliant:

"Vapor encapsulated nucleus are coated at the molecular level using inert rare earth metals: this coating completely masks the stains and provides a perfect substrate for Bio-Mineralization, it is so thin it can only be measured with an electron microscope (1000 Angstroms). There is no change in the thermal index or specific gravity of the shell material. As you can see we can provide a high degree of luster while masking the stains completely. Stained nucleus is not conducive to the culturing techniques used by the Japanese or Chinese, the stains show through the thin nacre and produce inferior quality pearls. The process will allow 2nd and 3rd grade to be used as 1st grade providing a high quality reflective substrate that will withstand all of the bleaching and coloring processes currently used."

Speaking of those colorful, very high lustre freashwater pearls - some come with no surface treatemnt : before reading about nucleus treatment, surface treatemnts would have been the only thing to worry about and then seeing good lustre and orient would have made me imply that the pearls have relatively thick nacre too. Silly thought, aparently.

Sure enough, sophisticate dtreatemnts are good - but this one sounds hard to detect... not that pearls are all that often certified ot anything. Even if larger freshwater pearls with very high lustre, beautiful orient and colors are by no that cheap anymore.

I do not know if these treatment work and if they may have caused dsclosure trouble already. Do you ?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I think the fact they cost 1/10th as much differentiates them as much as anything. I guess that making a fresh water pearl look like a Tahitian pearl is very hard to do as they never really look great and best (real) pearls are not so expensive as to want the cheaper alternative. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results