shape
carat
color
clarity

other ideas on cleaning low set rings?

aprilzephyr

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I've been a member for a while now - I don't post usually as I find the search function very helpful most of the time. I am not sure if anyone has run into this problem, but I am having a difficult time cleaning my engagement/wedding ring, more precisely cleaning the stems underneath the sapphire. I am hoping for hear from PS'ers on some creative cleaning ideas for a low set ring.

I must've read every thread on cleaning as well as used the cleaning tips of Leon Mege's website... It's starting to frustrate me now :cheeky: There is some residue sitting on the stems (most likely some combination of skin oil, soap, lotion etc.) that I can't seem to remove. I've tried scrubbing with a soft toothbrush, soaking in ammonia and water overnight several times a week, professional steam cleaning, etc... I've successfully clean 3 of the 4 stems by patiently and gently moving a cotton thread through, but only after soaking the ring in ammonia and water for a day or so... the last stem eludes me. There is not enough room between the last stem and the sapphire to even squeeze a thread through.

The only option I haven't tried is ultrasonic but I hesitate to do so as the ring is a micropave setting. We asked Leon to set the sapphire really low as we thought it would be a bit more practical to wear, and I guess in hindsight, we didn't really consider the difficultly of cleaning a setting where the gem is practically touching the basket it is sitting in... I do feel that this concern is a bit silly as the cloudy stems are only visible if one really searches, but I hope other PS'ers understand!

Attached is an image of the ring's profile - a beautiful but typical LM halo micropave setting:
aprilzephyprofile.jpg

Barber

Rough_Rock
Hello! This is not in reference to cleaning on low set rings but I came across your ring & I fell in love with the setting.
Could you tell me the height of the setting (basket) as I am looking for a low profile setting?
Thank you!

the_universe

Rough_Rock
old toothbrush + toothpaste + towel = superbly clean jewelry

the toothbrush hits all the nooks and crannies and doesnt damage the jewelry at all. I would even recommend this method for your beautiful opal ring.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

This will likely be an unpopular answer, but in the past I have sometimes used regular generic eye makeup remover liquid on small areas underneath when they won't come clean. A quick soak while I'm showering, or even just an eye dropper of the stuff strategically placed works brilliantly on gold & diamond. I follow up with dish soap and water with a drop of white vinegar and a final rinse in distilled water.

Caveat: some stones are damaged by chemicals such as those that might be in eye makeup remover, and since I don't have sapphires I don't know if they'd be harmed. YMMV, but it works for my diamonds. Good luck!

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I would recommend going to an arts supply store and buying a very fine paint brush. I find using this with Dawn dishsoap really helps get into the small, tight spaces.

AmayaAria

Rough_Rock
Here is some tips how to clean the ring:
First of all Soak the ring. To loosen dirt and grime, let the ring sit for 20 minutes in a solution of 1 cup warm water and 1/4 cup ammonia.
Then Rinse the ring in soapy water after that Scrub the ring finally Rinse in warm water and leave to dry.
These tips are very helpful try this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results